FabSwingers.com

FabSwingers.com > Forums > The Lounge > Herd immunity

Herd immunity

Jump to: Newest in thread

By *G Lana OP   TV/TS  over a year ago

Gosport

If the UK is now proposing managing COVID-19 through herd immunity should we ask those who can self isolate effectively and are healthy with no underlying health conditions to voluntarily infect themselves?

The volunteers would get to go through the period of illness/confinement in a more controlled way so could at least would have been able to get suitably stocked up with food, medicines etc and make arrangement with work so at least it minimises the impact on businesses.

I am sure there are all kinds of arguments against this but my thinking is that by selecting people with the best chance of a quick recovery we would get to a point that the increased % immunity in the general population could then actually slow the spread of uncontrolled cases and therefore reduce the risk for the elderly and those with medical conditions.

Reply privately, Reply in forum +quote or View forums list

By *essie.Woman  over a year ago

Serendipity

It’s spreading anyway so volunteers won’t be needed.

By *heBirminghamWeekendMan  over a year ago

here

"If the UK is now proposing managing COVID-19 through herd immunity should we ask those who can self isolate effectively and are healthy with no underlying health conditions to voluntarily infect themselves?

The volunteers would get to go through the period of illness/confinement in a more controlled way so could at least would have been able to get suitably stocked up with food, medicines etc and make arrangement with work so at least it minimises the impact on businesses.

I am sure there are all kinds of arguments against this but my thinking is that by selecting people with the best chance of a quick recovery we would get to a point that the increased % immunity in the general population could then actually slow the spread of uncontrolled cases and therefore reduce the risk for the elderly and those with medical conditions. "

Exactly this

The majority will feel crap for a couple of days and recover ok ... so absolutely no need to clog up the health systems .

The health systems are needed for those who are elderly and/or have underlying health issues and do need the support of the systems.

By *izandpaulCouple  over a year ago

merseyside

Think we just need to look after folks with underlying health issues and elderly relatives and friends.

If most of them caught the virus in the next few weeks and develop breathing difficulties requiring some form of intervention, like a vent, not enough equipment and trained staff available to cope at this time of year with all the separate problems winter brings.

My understanding is if we can leave the vulnerable clear of virus until spring / summer shows up more help available and virus may burn out. Seems quite a big ask to me, here's hoping.

By (user no longer on site)  over a year ago

I work in care, and remember a care home i was working at the time had an outbreak of NOROvirus, and went into quarantine, working on a skeleton rota, I and two others turned out to be "immune", we carried it but no symptoms.

I can kind of see the argument in this. I'm supposed to have flu jab due to my work, but I'm generally fit and healthy, and have a good immune system. I'd maybe go for it if it meant i could keep at work and help others.

By *aul DeUther-OneMan  over a year ago

Seaside Sussex

The kinds if places we are speaking of here already exist. Try web searching for 'flu camp', or 'medical trials'. It seems there are financial incentives for volunteering to be a Guinea pig.

By *ophieslutTV/TS  over a year ago

Central

Can we get Johnson and his family repeatedly infected, as part of his plan, as there's not reliable evidence for this virus that it will work. Most of them gush loads of hot air, so they can spread it amongst themselves, whilst also given doses of the infection methodically. If he wants millions to be the subject of research that would be outlawed, he and his cohort should prove the safety and efficavy levels. Likewise organisations that will not pay staff for sickness absence should have their board subject to the same experiment. We could refuse to do business with organisations this impose risks of infection on to others because they will not pay their staff who are subject to low pay, zero hours etc

By *partharmonyCouple  over a year ago

Ruislip

I'd volunteer. I just want to get it over with. Odds on I'll get it anyway and apparently the chances of getting it twice are extremely low. The company I work for is instructing people to work from home, so it's a good time. Luke

By *hedevilKTWoman  over a year ago

milton keynes

As someone with underlying health issues I think it’s sweet there’s people who would be willing to do this

» Add a new message to this topic