FabSwingers.com

FabSwingers.com > Forums > The Lounge > Scaremongering II

Scaremongering II

Jump to: Newest in thread

By (user no longer on site) OP     over a year ago

So a few weeks ago I was accused of scaremongering for repeating fightening news...

Here's our government....

"As many as 10,000 people in the UK are probably already infected with coronavirus, and many people should expect to lose loved ones, the government has said as it announced measures less stringent than those taken by other countries"

"Chris Whitty, the chief medical officer, said that worst-case scenario planning projected that 80% of the country would contract the virus, with a 1% mortality rate. This equates to more than 500,000 deaths."

If I had said that I would have been visited by villagers with burning torches and pitchforks.

When it comes to scaremongering I have been surpassed by the officials.

Reply privately (closed, thread got too big)

By (user no longer on site)  over a year ago

Hello its like flu some don't do well with flu most make a full recovery!

By *ssex_tomMan  over a year ago

Chelmsford

OP only reported the official stats to be fair to him and got criticised for it..

It's getting out of hand!

"Hello its like flu some don't do well with flu most make a full recovery! "

It's nothing like flu!

This is the issue people think that but this is something new and non of us have an immunity.

By *ouple in LancashireCouple  over a year ago

in Lancashire

Mate get over it, you and others on here had a difference of opinion and as with such things someone's wrong and someone else is right..

Move on, because you might look like your seeking self righteousness on the back of those with it and some who have succumbed to it..

Chelmsford

"It's getting out of hand! "

The hand gel you mean ?

By *eeleyWoman  over a year ago

Dudley

"So a few weeks ago I was accused of scaremongering for repeating fightening news...

"As many as 10,000 people in the UK are probably already infected with coronavirus, and many people should expect to lose loved ones, the government has said as it announced measures less stringent than those taken by other countries"

"Chris Whitty, the chief medical officer, said that worst-case scenario planning projected that 80% of the country would contract the virus, with a 1% mortality rate. This equates to more than 500,000 deaths."

If I had said that I would have been visited by villagers with burning torches and pitchforks.

When it comes to scaremongering I have been surpassed by the officials. "

It's still worst case scenario. Yes, we all need to be careful and mindful of vulnerable people but there isn't much more we can do.

By *luebell888Woman  over a year ago

Glasgowish

Man on news who had it said flu was worse

Chelmsford

"Mate get over it, you and others on here had a difference of opinion and as with such things someone's wrong and someone else is right..

Move on, because you might look like your seeking self righteousness on the back of those with it and some who have succumbed to it.. "

Some of the OPs biggest critics are slowly becoming aware .. and I mean slowly

By *ouple in LancashireCouple  over a year ago

in Lancashire

"Mate get over it, you and others on here had a difference of opinion and as with such things someone's wrong and someone else is right..

Move on, because you might look like your seeking self righteousness on the back of those with it and some who have succumbed to it..

Some of the OPs biggest critics are slowly becoming aware .. and I mean slowly"

So?

"Man on news who had it said flu was worse"

Tell that to the families who have lost people to it!

By *ed-monkeyCouple  over a year ago

Hailsham

Aware of...?

Most people are aware .. and have been for a while ... they just choose not to want to be bombarded with all sorts

In some ways it actual dilutes the issue with more apathy as they're fed up with hearing about it

Chelmsford

Aware of...?

Most people are aware .. and have been for a while ... they just choose not to want to be bombarded with all sorts

In some ways it actual dilutes the issue with more apathy as they're fed up with hearing about it

"

Apathy is not the friend of survival.. Be apathetic my friend and save another who is not apathetic..

Move on, because you might look like your seeking self righteousness on the back of those with it and some who have succumbed to it.. "

I don't care what they think. My posts were of concern for those at risk. They still are.

I was quoted "low risk" nothing to worry about. Does that sound right to you? It sounded like bullshit then and now they talk 500 000 deaths?

Thanks Tom I hope you are doing ok?

Chelmsford

Thanks Tom I hope you are doing ok?"

There was a fool ridiculed on here for saying Wake Up Peoples.. some of his biggest critics have woken up.. He takes no comfort from that..

Good Luck Peoples..

There was a fool ridiculed on here for saying Wake Up Peoples.. some of his biggest critics have woken up.. He takes no comfort from that..

Good Luck Peoples..

"

The problem is they woke up and bought a years supply of toilet rolls.

You saw it coming and saw it for what it was. Good on ya mate!

"So a few weeks ago I was accused of scaremongering for repeating fightening news...

Do you need a wank to ease some tension? I'm sure you've stockpiled hand gel and toilet roll for afterwards

By *lem-H-FandangoMan  over a year ago

salisbury

Do you need a wank to ease some tension? I'm sure you've stockpiled hand gel and toilet roll for afterwards "

Like a "well done" wank ! Who's a clever boy?!

Do you need a wank to ease some tension? I'm sure you've stockpiled hand gel and toilet roll for afterwards "

Thanks for the offer. I'm very flattered

I have stockpiled nothing. Sorry to dissapoint

Do you need a wank to ease some tension? I'm sure you've stockpiled hand gel and toilet roll for afterwards

Like a "well done" wank ! Who's a clever boy?!"

Again very flattered by the offer... but I do have a more than capable girlfriend if that tension I am hearing about ever comes to fruition.

By *emini ManMan  over a year ago

There and to the left a bit

I'd suggest that the time for self-congratulatory "I was right" flag waving would be after the event once the situation has passed and the final outcome is clear personally.

Most people on past threads didn't actually disagree that it was a concern, just stated at the time that the level of information and evidence available "at that time" wasn't a big enough cause for worry at that time - events have of course moved on and peoples perceptions and concerns have moved on in the same way as they would with any other evolving news story - doesn't mean they were wrong and you were right though, nor does it call for chest thumping along those lines, which is *exactly* how this thread reads to me.

I stand by my views of a number of weeks ago based on the *reliable* information that was available at the time - and have altered my position accordingly now things have moved on (which is what I clearly stated I would do at the time) - doesn't mean I was wrong though.

If those that want to adopt a "give me a pat on the back for being right" stance feel the need to do so, then so be it, but don't expect me to be providing it.

Dudley

"I'd suggest that the time for self-congratulatory "I was right" flag waving would be after the event once the situation has passed and the final outcome is clear personally.

Most people on past threads didn't actually disagree that it was a concern, just stated at the time that the level of information and evidence available "at that time" wasn't a big enough cause for worry at that time - events have of course moved on and peoples perceptions and concerns have moved on in the same way as they would with any other evolving news story - doesn't mean they were wrong and you were right though, nor does it call for chest thumping along those lines, which is *exactly* how this thread reads to me.

I stand by my views of a number of weeks ago based on the *reliable* information that was available at the time - and have altered my position accordingly now things have moved on (which is what I clearly stated I would do at the time) - doesn't mean I was wrong though.

If those that want to adopt a "give me a pat on the back for being right" stance feel the need to do so, then so be it, but don't expect me to be providing it."

By *atexbisexTV/TS  over a year ago

Central London

It's much more deadly than winter flu

Take the USA as an example:

The death rate from flu in 2018/19 was 0.1 percent, or one out of every 1,044 people

So far there have been 729 cases and 26 deaths. That comes out to a 3.5 percent death rate. That’s 35 out of 1,000 people

Chelmsford

"I'd suggest that the time for self-congratulatory "I was right" flag waving would be after the event once the situation has passed and the final outcome is clear personally.

If those that want to adopt a "give me a pat on the back for being right" stance feel the need to do so, then so be it, but don't expect me to be providing it."

Not you again ?

By *otsossieMan  over a year ago

Chesterfield

Apparently there are 2 strains, the mild strain and the more virulent strain. How the hell there are 2 versions is beyond me.

It’s a multi-stage disease. Cold - get better - flu - get better - pneumonia.

I had a mild bug which followed this pattern up to a few weeks ago. But how do I know if I’ve had it? You can only get tested if you d just returned from a hotspot.

It’s being handled really chaotically. They’re all quoting stats but if they won’t test then the stats are meaningless, do the actual death rate is probably lower because we’re not testing for and tracking the mild cases. If they really exist.

By *arkb73Man  over a year ago

Cheshire/Staffs

I’m not sure what is expected of people - we are all aware and we are all doing what we can.

My issue is the apparent glee with which people are making their points. Advise, but don’t grandstand.

I appreciate your input

Chesterfield

Pretty sure we won’t know what was going on until a few years after, if at all.

Just try not to expose yourself or others, keep your head down, wait for it to blow over.

If those that want to adopt a "give me a pat on the back for being right" stance feel the need to do so, then so be it, but don't expect me to be providing it.

Not you again ? "

Fab forums. No shortage of critics.

No shortage of experts who are right even when they are proven wrong. (And when you have the audacity to successfully defend your point you are chest beating and grandstanding). Can't win it seems.

How are Tom? Been waking up the peoples? You go get 'em mate

Not you again ?

Fab forums. No shortage of critics.

No shortage of experts who are right even when they are proven wrong. (And when you have the audacity to successfully defend your point you are chest beating and grandstanding). Can't win it seems.

How are Tom? Been waking up the peoples? You go get 'em mate "

Should have placed that bet

Go on mate and people it's not just like the flu because there different strains of flu, and this virus can mutate any time, also I never had shortness of breath with the flu,

Vigilant, Isolate, Research, Understand, Solution.

Go on mate and people it's not just like the flu because there different strains of flu, and this virus can mutate any time, also I never had shortness of breath with the flu,

Vigilant, Isolate, Research, Understand, Solution.

"

In my very humble opinion, although I may be wrong, in fact I'm usually wrong, I feel there might be a strong possibility that there is a chance that might turn out to be correct.

By *luebell888Woman  over a year ago

Glasgowish

Im just living life ad normal

Dudley

We need healthy people to catch it and fight it off in order to protect the more vulnerable with herd immunity. It's been mentioned several times. I think healthy people ought to have corona parties

Good Luck Peoples..

"

Tom, stopped clock is right twice a day.

Good Luck Peoples..

Tom, stopped clock is right twice a day."

And a stuck record gets a little tedious too

"Im just living life ad normal "

I have a bath every night with antibacterial bodywash, I'm still living life. If anyone is interested take a look at strategy game called plague Inc,

Good Luck Peoples..

Tom, stopped clock is right twice a day."

Tom I guess it takes a certain amount of humility for someone to admit they were wrong. This is not the place to find humility.

You saw what others could not. Stuck to your guns while the mob were pelting you with rotten fruit. I admire that conviction. Good on you.

Besides, 'wake up peoples' carries absolutely no weight. Especially when our government appears to be napping and hoping.

Good Luck Peoples..

Tom I guess it takes a certain amount of humility for someone to admit they were wrong. This is not the place to find humility.

You saw what others could not. Stuck to your guns while the mob were pelting you with rotten fruit. I admire that conviction. Good on you. "

Good lord, he isn't some sage! He worries about everything. He was talking about killing all sharks a few weeks ago. I feel sorry for Tom, I think he suffers from an acute anxiety disorder. He was probably saying the same thing about foot and mouth, SARS, swine flu, ebola.....

As I said, a stopped clock is right twice a day. Telling everybody to 'wake up' has equipped us all how exactly???

salisbury

Good Luck Peoples..

You saw what others could not. Stuck to your guns while the mob were pelting you with rotten fruit. I admire that conviction. Good on you.

Good lord, he isn't some sage! He worries about everything. He was talking about killing all sharks a few weeks ago. I feel sorry for Tom, I think he suffers from an acute anxiety disorder. He was probably saying the same thing about foot and mouth, SARS, swine flu, ebola.....

As I said, a stopped clock is right twice a day. Telling everybody to 'wake up' has equipped us all how exactly???"

"Besides, 'wake up peoples' carries absolutely no weight. Especially when our government appears to be napping and hoping."

Fab forums carry no weight. Anything said here is about as effective as howling at the moon.

A forum should be a place where we can share ideas with like minded people. I find it very sad that others on here (not you) find it necessary to make it a place where they exercise their need to control what others say.

I started being very critical of the government's apparent "it's just a sniffle approach", but was pleasantly surprised to see them actually formulate a plan. I have since withdrawn my criticism but still question the NHS capacity to handle the volume of potential cases.

It's simple maths. Merkel expects 60 to 70 percent of Germans to be infected and I don't see why we would be any different. That puts us at 40 million give or take. If 1 in 5 need treatment (going on current data) leaves us with 7 million people. Can NHS handle that? A question I have been asking since January.

Good Luck Peoples..

As I said, a stopped clock is right twice a day. Telling everybody to 'wake up' has equipped us all how exactly???"

I would say it's the last resort of a poor argument to attack people's mental health. I thought you weren't allowed to get personal in this forum but apparently it is acceptable to call someone mentally ill and that is somehow now seen as debating a point and not being personal?

Screwed up logic, but just my opinion.

I think there should be a separate forum for all of these threads

Mods?

Can't there be a place where you can put all of this Corona talk - like the politics forum?

Good Luck Peoples..

As I said, a stopped clock is right twice a day. Telling everybody to 'wake up' has equipped us all how exactly???

I would say it's the last resort of a poor argument to attack people's mental health. I thought you weren't allowed to get personal in this forum but apparently it is acceptable to call someone mentally ill and that is somehow now seen as debating a point and not being personal?

"

Not actually attacking his mental health. For your information, I have suffered with anxiety all my life. I actually feel sorry for a anybody with such a condition.

It still stands that the 'wake up' slogan suggests that we were all asleep. Nobody knew this would go the way it has. As I said , SARS, swine flu and foot and mouth came and went without much trouble. It's not sage like to say this was going to be massive, just luck.

Good Luck Peoples..

Not actually attacking his mental health. For your information, I have suffered with anxiety all my life. I actually feel sorry for a anybody with such a condition.

It still stands that the 'wake up' slogan suggests that we were all asleep. Nobody knew this would go the way it has. As I said , SARS, swine flu and foot and mouth came and went without much trouble. It's not sage like to say this was going to be massive, just luck."

Was your anxiety diagnosed and treated by a fab forumite? Let's leave that stuff to the professionals shall we.

Where did Tom call himself a sage? It's a label forumites have pinned on him and then hammered him for. It's basically bullying. You should all be ashamed.

There is a docuseries on Netflix called "Pandemic" which doesn't say much different to Tom. This was produced pre-Corona and warns us that a pandemic is not just inevitable but surprised it hasn't happened yet. It discusses the closing of health centres and how this will prevent us handling crisis and why we should be opposing government cutbacks on medical care. In this regard we are sleeping.

On a more positive side the series also looks at a universal flu vaccine which is being privately funded which may prevent future outbreaks of this nature.

I guess there are two types of people. One who takes up a debate like this, researches new ideas and contributes. Then there's the other who just ridicules everything someone says to big themselves up.

[Removed by poster at 13/03/20 09:13:10]

Good Luck Peoples..

It still stands that the 'wake up' slogan suggests that we were all asleep. Nobody knew this would go the way it has. As I said , SARS, swine flu and foot and mouth came and went without much trouble. It's not sage like to say this was going to be massive, just luck.

Was your anxiety diagnosed and treated by a fab forumite? Let's leave that stuff to the professionals shall we.

Where did Tom call himself a sage? It's a label forumites have pinned on him and then hammered him for. It's basically bullying. You should all be ashamed.

There is a docuseries on Netflix called "Pandemic" which doesn't say much different to Tom. This was produced pre-Corona and warns us that a pandemic is not just inevitable but surprised it hasn't happened yet. It discusses the closing of health centres and how this will prevent us handling crisis and why we should be opposing government cutbacks on medical care. In this regard we are sleeping.

On a more positive side the series also looks at a universal flu vaccine which is being privately funded which may prevent future outbreaks of this nature.

I guess there are two types of people. One who takes up a debate like this, researches new ideas and contributes. Then there's the other who just ridicules everything someone says to big themselves up."

Not bigging myself up at all. Just don't like being patronised. Maybe you do. Each to their own

Good Luck Peoples..

I guess there are two types of people. One who takes up a debate like this, researches new ideas and contributes. Then there's the other who just ridicules everything someone says to big themselves up.

Not bigging myself up at all. Just don't like being patronised. Maybe you do. Each to their own"

Maybe I do? Is that the only alternative? Maybe I see Tom as being concerned about the level of ignorance displayed on this subject. I don't see that as being patronising at all.

People have onto this thread saying things like 5% of people who get seasonal flu and this is nothing. Apparently it is not done to put one's hand up and say that this information is way off any documented information.

Tom is not trying to patronise the well informed by suggesting they are sleeping. He is referring to those who repeatedly ad naseam quote statistics of other things that can kill and that COVID-19 is "Nothing".

Tom has correctly pointed out that "nothing" does not cause city, quarantines, isolate cruise ships, cause stock market crashes, etc etc.

So perhaps you are taking offence at something not directed at you?

Good Luck Peoples..

Not bigging myself up at all. Just don't like being patronised. Maybe you do. Each to their own

Maybe I do? Is that the only alternative? Maybe I see Tom as being concerned about the level of ignorance displayed on this subject. I don't see that as being patronising at all.

People have onto this thread saying things like 5% of people who get seasonal flu and this is nothing. Apparently it is not done to put one's hand up and say that this information is way off any documented information.

Tom is not trying to patronise the well informed by suggesting they are sleeping. He is referring to those who repeatedly ad naseam quote statistics of other things that can kill and that COVID-19 is "Nothing".

Tom has correctly pointed out that "nothing" does not cause city, quarantines, isolate cruise ships, cause stock market crashes, etc etc.

So perhaps you are taking offence at something not directed at you?"

Hey, do you normally listen to people who shout warnings but, when you ask 'what shall we do?' give you no response?

Good Luck Peoples..

Hey, do you normally listen to people who shout warnings but, when you ask 'what shall we do?' give you no response? "

He possibly meant well. I'm saying the approach of repeatedly beating people over the head with empty slogans was probably the wrong one.

Empty slogans have got this country in enough mess!!

What is the title of this thread?

Is it "I was right. You were wrong. Bitches. BOOM. Mikedrop. Happy dance"?

I was quoted from the dictionary that scaremongering was the reporting of frightening news. So in that case I was technically scaremongering. The point of this thread is to ask if that was scaremongering, what is telling people someone they love will die? That 500 000 people could die? What do you call that then?

Seems like a double standard that's all I'm saying.

Good Luck Peoples..

Hey, do you normally listen to people who shout warnings but, when you ask 'what shall we do?' give you no response?

He possibly meant well. I'm saying the approach of repeatedly beating people over the head with empty slogans was probably the wrong one.

Empty slogans have got this country in enough mess!!"

I have no doubt that he meant well. He sounds like a lovely guy and has taken a lot of flak unbelievably well.

I agree with you about empty slogans!

I've been on fab forum for six years and never seen anything anyone has said affect the world we live in. I see these forums as an outlet for ideas and views not as a mechanism for changing the views of society.

I would have thought this forum would unite people over our common interest in swinging. It is sad to see that it tends to polarise people over petty differences. But hey, just my rambling thoughts...

Problem.

Reaction.

Solution.

Coming more and more into full play.

By *hetalkingstoveMan  over a year ago

London

"What is the title of this thread?

I was quoted from the dictionary that scaremongering was the reporting of frightening news. So in that case I was technically scaremongering. The point of this thread is to ask if that was scaremongering, what is telling people someone they love will die? That 500 000 people could die? What do you call that then?

"

However you spin it, this is a 'I was right' thread, which adds absolutely nothing and helps no one.

Hope it made you feel better though.

"

Not at all. Person in question jumps in to pat themselves on the back.....not a good look at the moment is it??

What we all need to think about is, wether our response is right. From what I heard yesterday, Boris basically said if you are old and at risk....good luck, you are on your own

Not at all. Person in question jumps in to pat themselves on the back.....not a good look at the moment is it??"

Actually person in question says he doesn't feel good that he was right.

In fact somewhere in these threads we've said we hope we're both terribly wrong.

You can say someone who provides more evidence to back up their point is "patting themselves on the back" just as I can say some people are shooting the messenger.

But if you want to examine sensitivity perhaps those who see this pandemic as "population control" are more deserving of your attention.

It's still worst case scenario. Yes, we all need to be careful and mindful of vulnerable people but there isn't much more we can do."

Not exactly worst case scenario as regards the 1% mortality rate. Best mortality rate I’ve seen is 3%, some quoting as much as 6%.

6% mortality rate puts the death toll at 3 million, much worse case than 500,000.

"What we all need to think about is, wether our response is right. From what I heard yesterday, Boris basically said if you are old and at risk....good luck, you are on your own "

Have you seen the reports coming out of Italy from the BBC? There's people in their 20s dying too

My thoughts are that you don't have to die to be affected by this virus. Businesses are going under, the entire economy is being affected..... there are so many ripple effects from this pandemic that the mind boggles.

For instance there is a question of child care. If schools close down who looks after our children?

By *ikeC81Man  over a year ago

harrow

Some people may just get a cough

I don't care what they think. My posts were of concern for those at risk. They still are.

I was quoted "low risk" nothing to worry about. Does that sound right to you? It sounded like bullshit then and now they talk 500 000 deaths?"

500,000 deaths mean 500,000 less pensions to pay, 500,000 less people with higher heathcare needs. I doubt or hope that we reach nowhere near that figure but your elderly and sick have just been made expandable by the government. The ball has been shoved back in our court to minimise the spread, it really is up to the person in the street to look after their own

"

If it really wasn't a self-congratulatory "I was right" attempt you'd have posted on one of the many other threads related to the virus and kept your comments to what the current situation is rather than drawing attention to past debates with comments like:

"So a few weeks ago I was accused of scaremongering for repeating fightening news..."

Or

"If I  had said that I would have been visited by villagers with burning torches and pitchforks.

When it comes to scaremongering I have been surpassed by the officials."

Both of which very much take a "See? I told you so" approach, as does your continued reference to others being right throughout the thread.

Whilst anyone has every right to post what they want within site rules, the only point of starting this thread appears to be self-congratulation - otherwise why start it and not post on one of the other threads?

It's still worst case scenario. Yes, we all need to be careful and mindful of vulnerable people but there isn't much more we can do.

Not exactly worst case scenario as regards the 1% mortality rate. Best mortality rate I’ve seen is 3%, some quoting as much as 6%.

6% mortality rate puts the death toll at 3 million, much worse case than 500,000."

Exactly what I have been saying since January. The figures being used by officials don't match up with the data. But saying the emperor is in the altogether starts a riot.

Are we less at risk than other countries. Do we have less baby boomers? When I looked it up I discovered that 1.5 million of our population are over 85... in fact...

"The UK has an ageing population (ONS, 2018k). There are nearly 12 million (11,989,322) people aged 65 and above in the UK of which: o 5.4 million people are aged 75+, o 1.6 million are aged 85+, o Over 500,000 people are 90+ (579,776) o 14,430 are centenarians (ONS, 2018f, 2018e)"

Now do the math with mortality rate amongst over 85...

If it really wasn't a self-congratulatory "I was right" attempt you'd have posted on one of the many other threads related to the virus and kept your comments to what the current situation is rather than drawing attention to past debates with comments like:

"So a few weeks ago I was accused of scaremongering for repeating fightening news..."

Or

"If I  had said that I would have been visited by villagers with burning torches and pitchforks.

Both of which very much take a "See? I told you so" approach, as does your continued reference to others being right throughout the thread.

Whilst anyone has every right to post what they want within site rules, the only point of starting this thread appears to be self-congratulation - otherwise why start it and not post on one of the other threads?"

All you are doing is deflecting.

Those comments are directed at the adverse reaction to me having an opinion vs the casual acceptance of a journalist having the exact same opinion. I am examining the different response to the exact same information depending on it's source.

But if you want to turn it into something else. Go ahead.Knock yourself out.

When the messenger gets shot it doesn't matter if he is right or wrong.

The only reality to this situation is not our ability to control it.

Only how we react who is right or wrong makes no difference to those who are going to suffer through this event all we can all do is support each other and help each other surely that's the discussion we all need to have.

As I see it, we are currently swimming against the tide here as regards to our response. Italy, China and most of Europe are closing down.

Both sides are 'following the science' but with vastly different approaches. So, what science are we following that the rest of the world isn't?

We have been provided with scant details on the science our approach is following and I keep hearing about this 'nudge unit'....very worrying. Boris is either right or horribly horribly wrong. I hope the former.

Or

Whilst anyone has every right to post what they want within site rules, the only point of starting this thread appears to be self-congratulation - otherwise why start it and not post on one of the other threads?

Those comments are directed at the adverse reaction to me having an opinion vs the casual acceptance of a journalist having the exact same opinion. I am examining the different response to the exact same information depending on it's source.

When the messenger gets shot it doesn't matter if he is right or wrong."

You say "pot-ar-to" I say "pot-ay-to" - whichever way you try and dress it up, as I said if you weren't grandstanding and patting yourself on the back, why the need to start a thread stating what you have and not just add comment to one of the many existing threads on the topic, no deflection at all, plain and simple calling it as I see it. End of.

By *ugby 123Couple  over a year ago
Forum Mod

O o O oo

"

Most people on past threads didn't actually disagree that it was a concern, just stated at the time that the level of information and evidence available "at that time" wasn't a big enough cause for worry at that time

"

I would disagree with that, I would say a lot of people said it wasn't a concern at all..no matter what stage it was at. In fact some are still saying that

By *ugby 123Couple  over a year ago
Forum Mod

O o O oo

Ok back to the OP rather than arguing over assumptions

"As I see it, we are currently swimming against the tide here as regards to our response. Italy, China and most of Europe are closing down.

Both sides are 'following the science' but with vastly different approaches. So, what science are we following that the rest of the world isn't?

We have been provided with scant details on the science our approach is following and I keep hearing about this 'nudge unit'....very worrying. Boris is either right or horribly horribly wrong. I hope the former."

Here's the problem. If you contain a virus and stop it spreading then the critics will ask why such a fuss was made about nothing.

If you ignore the virus and people die then the critics will say why wasn't it contained.

People are already saying we are over reacting and backing that up by saying we over reacted to the swine flu.

That's why I say Corbyn dodged a bullet. No matter what the government does it will be criticised.

We are currently waiting for the infection numbers to rise before drastic measures are justifiable.

"As I see it, we are currently swimming against the tide here as regards to our response. Italy, China and most of Europe are closing down.

We have been provided with scant details on the science our approach is following and I keep hearing about this 'nudge unit'....very worrying. Boris is either right or horribly horribly wrong. I hope the former.

Here's the problem. If you contain a virus and stop it spreading then the critics will ask why such a fuss was made about nothing.

If you ignore the virus and people die then the critics will say why wasn't it contained.

People are already saying we are over reacting and backing that up by saying we over reacted to the swine flu.

That's why I say Corbyn dodged a bullet. No matter what the government does it will be criticised.

We are currently waiting for the infection numbers to rise before drastic measures are justifiable."

That's all very well, but at least provide the evidence and data that is making them follow this course. Show your workings, because it seems we are ploughing s lonely furrow on this and I can't see why.

By *acey_RedWoman  over a year ago

Liverpool

Of course they have to plan for worst case scenario . However the most likely outcome is going to be significantly less serious than the worst case scenario.

Or

When the messenger gets shot it doesn't matter if he is right or wrong.

You say "pot-ar-to" I say "pot-ay-to" - whichever way you try and dress it up, as I said if you weren't grandstanding and patting yourself on the back, why the need to start a thread stating what you have and not just add comment to one of the many existing threads on the topic, no deflection at all, plain and simple calling it as I see it. End of."

Excuse me. I didn't know that starting a new thread was the sole domain of the forum elite. My bad.

I did start the thread on scaremongering. It was closed because it got to big. At that stage my argument was not whether what I was saying was right or wrong but whether it was scaremongering or not. That is still my point. The title of the thread should be a giveaway.

Your problem with me was that I was stating opinion as fact. My response to that is that this is a forum. Not the Times. Not the Encyclopedia Britannica. Basically verything here is an opinion. It shouldn't need to be stated. In case you missed the irony, the personal who stated my quotation from The Tribute was "bullshit" stated this a fact and not as an opinion.

By *aitonelMan  over a year ago

Liverpool

Thing to keep in mind is that there are now 2 mutations of this virus going around. The original that took hold in China which is less aggressive.

And now a more aggressive one that is causing more issues for healthier people. Generally the majority of those who get it are still going to be fine and the symptoms minor but the threat has certainly increased from its original levels of just a standard virus going around.

We are currently waiting for the infection numbers to rise before drastic measures are justifiable.

That's all very well, but at least provide the evidence and data that is making them follow this course. Show your workings, because it seems we are ploughing s lonely furrow on this and I can't see why."

Well I did provide links to my data but then had the forum elite question the use of links to back things up. Guess how that ended?

Here's two examples.

One. I quoted what a reporter wrote in a well respected newspaper published about inside information at a high level meeting. I was very rudely attacked for spreading "bullshit". Even if the person was at that high level and knows this not to be true, there are less agressive ways of disagreeing and correcting someone.

Two. I gave links to a site that provided case data around the world. I was challenged on those figures because the site used advertising to cover it's expenses. I was told to look at WHO instead. Both had identical figures. But mine was wrong?

The website in question relies on accuracy of its data to ensure patronage and hence revenue. They have a vested interest in being accurate.

The WHO on the other hand are funded largely by the United States government. An entity which in turn is funded by big business who in turn have a vested interest in not seeing their stock prices falling.

That's all very well, but at least provide the evidence and data that is making them follow this course. Show your workings, because it seems we are ploughing s lonely furrow on this and I can't see why.

Well I did provide links to my data but then had the forum elite question the use of links to back things up. Guess how that ended?

Here's two examples.

One. I quoted what a reporter wrote in a well respected newspaper published about inside information at a high level meeting. I was very rudely attacked for spreading "bullshit". Even if the person was at that high level and knows this not to be true, there are less agressive ways of disagreeing and correcting someone.

Two. I gave links to a site that provided case data around the world. I was challenged on those figures because the site used advertising to cover it's expenses. I was told to look at WHO instead. Both had identical figures. But mine was wrong?

The website in question relies on accuracy of its data to ensure patronage and hence revenue. They have a vested interest in being accurate.

The WHO on the other hand are funded largely by the United States government. An entity which in turn is funded by big business who in turn have a vested interest in not seeing their stock prices falling."

Hey fella, I'm not talking about your data, the data and science our government is going by. Now, you are a clued up fella, but I somehow doubt you are party to that information.

"

Most people on past threads didn't actually disagree that it was a concern, just stated at the time that the level of information and evidence available "at that time" wasn't a big enough cause for worry at that time

I would disagree with that, I would say a lot of people said it wasn't a concern at all..no matter what stage it was at. In fact some are still saying that"

That was my impression as well.

I couldn't be bothered as to whether I was right or whether I was wrong. I am just pointing out the different responses to identical statements all depending on who states them.

None of my thoughts on this matter have been my own. They are recycled ideas of people who are experts in their fields. I don't see how I could take smug satisfaction from someone else's knowledge.

Here's two examples.

The WHO on the other hand are funded largely by the United States government. An entity which in turn is funded by big business who in turn have a vested interest in not seeing their stock prices falling.

Hey fella, I'm not talking about your data, the data and science our government is going by. Now, you are a clued up fella, but I somehow doubt you are party to that information. "

For sure. The more I learn the more I realise I know nothing.

By *adame 2SwordsWoman  over a year ago

Victoria, London

Yawn!

So like flu, but is it as bad as man flu?

"Yawn!

So like flu, but is it as bad as man flu?"

Eh??

Chesterfield

2 real problems :

1) it can give you pneumonia afterwards. No biggie, you can go in ICU.

Except

2) ICU is already full and there is no spare capacity.

So if you do get really I’ll with it then either you don’t get the care you need and you die, or someone else doesn’t get the care and they die.

And there is no vaccine, so health workers will get ill, increasing the strain on the system.

And this is a “plague” with a relatively low death rate.

"Yawn!

So like flu, but is it as bad as man flu?"

Men don't get flu. We just fake it to make our women fawn over us. Works like a charm

That's why COVID-19 scares the shit out of us. We might ACTUALLY become poorly!!!

"2 real problems :

Except

So if you do get really I’ll with it then either you don’t get the care you need and you die, or someone else doesn’t get the care and they die.

And there is no vaccine, so health workers will get ill, increasing the strain on the system.

And this is a “plague” with a relatively low death rate. "

Which sounds like a good argument to slow the spread now before the number of cases exceeds hospital capacity.

I read somewhere that a person infected can be contagious before they show symptoms. Some people don't show symptoms at all. That's an important aspect of this virus. It sets it apart from Ebola etc.

Look at Italy's new infection figures today.....lockdown is working

"Look at Italy's new infection figures today.....lockdown is working"

Yup. Look how effective it was in China. Probably worth noting is that they are STILL under lockdown.

It is interesting to see how our government changed it's stance. They started off saying they weren't going to do much, wouldn't close schools etc. Then saw the success China had with quarantine and what a disaster Iran had by not taking measures.

They changed their tune pretty quickly. Don't get me wrong. I applaud them for changing their stance.

Liverpool

"2 real problems :

Except

And this is a “plague” with a relatively low death rate. "

Having pneumonia doesn't mean you need to go to ICU. I've had it and I didn't.

"Look at Italy's new infection figures today.....lockdown is working

Yup. Look how effective it was in China. Probably worth noting is that they are STILL under lockdown.

It is interesting to see how our government changed it's stance. They started off saying they weren't going to do much, wouldn't close schools etc. Then saw the success China had with quarantine and what a disaster Iran had by not taking measures.

They changed their tune pretty quickly. Don't get me wrong. I applaud them for changing their stance. "

I reckon it will be changing again pretty sharpish

Liverpool

"2 real problems :

Except

And this is a “plague” with a relatively low death rate.

Which sounds like a good argument to slow the spread now before the number of cases exceeds hospital capacity.

I read somewhere that a person infected can be contagious before they show symptoms. Some people don't show symptoms at all. That's an important aspect of this virus. It sets it apart from Ebola etc."

Pretty much every virus has an incubation period.

By *aitonelMan  over a year ago

Liverpool

"Look at Italy's new infection figures today.....lockdown is working"

Potentially. Of course less people are getting infected, however the virus is not going away so they self isolate and go in to lockdown, 2 weeks later it potentially kicks off all over again.

There is no easy solution to this.

Lockdown causes peaks and drops in waves. Something that you certainly don't want due to the immediate pressure it puts on health services. Slow and steady vs immediate and overwhelming.

While I'm not fully behind the UK approach, it is also sensible in that you want to broaden out the curve not have peaks come in waves.

The trouble with closing schools is that means parents won’t be able to go to work.

Nursing staff have children. Nursing staff are going to be infected. We can’t afford to have nursing staff sat at home being child minders.

Liverpool

"The trouble with closing schools is that means parents won’t be able to go to work.

Nursing staff have children. Nursing staff are going to be infected. We can’t afford to have nursing staff sat at home being child minders."

I keep saying this but it's like people forget that NHS staff have children too. It's also a majority female workforce who are often the primary care givers to children (this is literally in the policies being written to prepare for this if anyone thinks I'm being sexist). The NHS struggles every time we have snow as some schools close. If we have a national shut down of schools the hospitals will be cripplingly understaffed.

"The trouble with closing schools is that means parents won’t be able to go to work.

Nursing staff have children. Nursing staff are going to be infected. We can’t afford to have nursing staff sat at home being child minders.

I keep saying this but it's like people forget that NHS staff have children too. It's also a majority female workforce who are often the primary care givers to children (this is literally in the policies being written to prepare for this if anyone thinks I'm being sexist). The NHS struggles every time we have snow as some schools close. If we have a national shut down of schools the hospitals will be cripplingly understaffed."

I think this virus is particularly troublesome because a lot of people rely on the grandparents to look after the children. That probably isn't the kind of social distancing elderly people need right now...

Chelmsford

Good Luck Peoples..

And a stuck record gets a little tedious too "

In honesty I cannot give a reasoned response.. I skim over GM posts that drone on and on and on..

If not the most boring man in Britain but the most boring posts in Britain..

Wake up Geminis ..

By *unscot44Man  over a year ago

Stepps (Glasgow)

This virus once it starts spreading it does so at an alarming and incredible rate.

Three weeks ago (21 February) Italy had 20 cases today close to 18,000. Just 17 days ago France, Germany & Spain had 14,18 & 7 cases respectively.

Today they have 3,661, 4,334 & 3,481 respectively.

It doesn't take a rocket scientist to realise that as we are sitting on almost 800 cases already that we are heading for potentially at least 10,000 confirmed cases within a fortnight no matter what.

But i fear under our Govt's current laid back approach to cancelling mass indoor and outdoor gatherings we could easily be heading for an Italian style disaster.

This scenario reminds me of the Edgar Allan poe story, the masque of the red death, where the fiendish plague, circulates at Prince prosperos party, disguised as a party goer, and is revealed at the end. Great film version with Vincent price, very atmospheric

Good Luck Peoples..

In honesty I cannot give a reasoned response.. I skim over GM posts that drone on and on and on..

Wake up Geminis ..

"

I literally have no idea what that means..

Good Luck Peoples..

Wake up Geminis ..

You are not the brightest.. "

Good Luck Peoples..

Wake up Geminis ..

You are not the brightest.. "

Oh lord Tom, pull your head out of your conceited arse..

Chelmsford

Good Luck Peoples..

Wake up Geminis ..

You are not the brightest..

Oh lord Tom, pull your head out of your conceited arse.."

Lord Tom has a ring to it..

From now on, by your decree, I am Lord Tom..

Wake Up Subjects ..

By *oxy_minxWoman  over a year ago

Scotland - Aberdeen

Just so you are aware, I may have used the word 'scaremongering' but you were quoting weeks ago about the army being on the streets then! So I stand by my comments, even though I was officially worried about what was happening as I am in the high bracket of health worries, so yes, we ALL do need to take this seriously!

Not by scaremongering, not by panic buying and depriving others! Time to be serious and thinking about not just themselves, but others who may have existing health problems!

So all I am saying people is STOP BEING FUCKING SELFISH BASTARDS!

Good Luck Peoples..

Wake up Geminis ..

Wake Up Subjects .."

I rest my case...

Chelmsford

Good Luck Peoples..

Wake up Geminis ..

Wake Up Subjects ..

I rest my case..."

Rested and lost

Good Luck Peoples..

Wake up Geminis ..

Wake Up Subjects ..

I rest my case...

Rested and lost "

Good Luck Peoples..

Wake up Geminis ..

Wake Up Subjects ..

I rest my case...

Rested and lost "

From the man who wanted to kill all the sharks in the world.....enjoy your delusion Tom

Chelmsford

Good Luck Peoples..

Wake up Geminis ..

Wake Up Subjects ..

I rest my case...

Rested and lost

From the man who wanted to kill all the sharks in the world.....enjoy your delusion Tom "

Not just in the world but the universe..

Keep some dogfish alive for rock and chips tho...

Chelmsford

Good Luck Peoples..

Wake up Geminis ..

Wake Up Subjects ..

I rest my case...

Rested and lost

From the man who wanted to kill all the sharks in the world.....enjoy your delusion Tom

Keep some dogfish alive for rock and chips tho..."

For the record I have never wanted to kill a shark or crocodile.. I just hope the buggers are extinct..

Chelmsford

Good Luck Peoples..

Wake up Geminis ..

Oh lord Tom, pull your head out of your conceited arse.."

You are like parrots on my shoulder.. I am not conceited

Good Luck Peoples..

Wake up Geminis ..

Wake Up Subjects ..

I rest my case...

Rested and lost

For the record I have never wanted to kill a shark or crocodile.. I just hope the buggers are extinct.. "

Sharks and crocodiles are a big problem for you then Tom?

Chelmsford

Good Luck Peoples..

Wake up Geminis ..

Wake Up Subjects ..

I rest my case...

Rested and lost

For the record I have never wanted to kill a shark or crocodile.. I just hope the buggers are extinct..

Sharks and crocodiles are a big problem for you then Tom?"

Yes and matched only by the pray called GM

Its just a cold that needs to wind its neck in

Chelmsford

"Its just a cold that needs to wind its neck in "

Agreed.. A prey that should feast on humble pie

Good Luck Peoples..

Wake up Geminis ..

Wake Up Subjects ..

I rest my case...

Rested and lost

Sharks and crocodiles are a big problem for you then Tom?

Yes and matched only by the pray called GM"

You may soon get your wish.

Creatures that have survived since prehistoric times will go extinct on our watch. Awesome!

salisbury

Who killed the white giraffe?

Chelmsford

"Who killed the white giraffe?"

The Great White Hunter ?

By *alandNitaCouple  over a year ago

Scunthorpe

If there are 10,000 infected already though and only 11 deaths that makes the fatality rate 0.11%

"Who killed the white giraffe?"

Don't know but it was a wonderful looking creature. I hope it tasted nice

By *an For YouMan  over a year ago

belfast/holywood

Wash your hands, be careful, follow expert advice. Simples

"If there are 10,000 infected already though and only 11 deaths that makes the fatality rate 0.11%"

This is why technically mortality rate can only be determined after an epidemic and everyone is either cured or deceased. How many of those 10 000 are closed cases? Most of those are outcome unknown, but you are counting them as cured.

Scunthorpe

"If there are 10,000 infected already though and only 11 deaths that makes the fatality rate 0.11%

This is why technically mortality rate can only be determined after an epidemic and everyone is either cured or deceased. How many of those 10 000 are closed cases? Most of those are outcome unknown, but you are counting them as cured."

I'm not counting them at all, counting 10,000 people would take ages... especially as they'd never stand still.

The 10,000 is the figure you mentioned in the first post. The point is, given that the infection rate is almost certainly considerably higher than the official figure... the death rate is obviously MUCH lower, that's just basic logic.

"If there are 10,000 infected already though and only 11 deaths that makes the fatality rate 0.11%

This is why technically mortality rate can only be determined after an epidemic and everyone is either cured or deceased. How many of those 10 000 are closed cases? Most of those are outcome unknown, but you are counting them as cured.

I'm not counting them at all, counting 10,000 people would take ages... especially as they'd never stand still.

The 10,000 is the figure you mentioned in the first post. The point is, given that the infection rate is almost certainly considerably higher than the official figure... the death rate is obviously MUCH lower, that's just basic logic."

Firstly you have pounced on the figure of 10 000 and ignored that it is proceded by the words "probably about" these are not my words they are figures the PM pulled out of thin air last night.

Of 76,337 closed cases so far 5,416 were deaths. That's 7% in a case to fatality ratio.

We don't know how many people in the UK will die from this but it won't be 11.

By *ubynaughtyCouple  over a year ago

sheffield

"It's much more deadly than winter flu

The death rate from flu in 2018/19 was 0.1 percent, or one out of every 1,044 people

So far there have been 729 cases and 26 deaths. That comes out to a 3.5 percent death rate. That’s 35 out of 1,000 people"

That's 729 cases out of people who have been tested. They said today that it is more than likely in the 1000s that have got it but haven't been tested, giving a much lower death rate.

So far there have been 729 cases and 26 deaths. That comes out to a 3.5 percent death rate. That’s 35 out of 1,000 people

That's 729 cases out of people who have been tested. They said today that it is more than likely in the 1000s that have got it but haven't been tested, giving a much lower death rate. "

There are people who get infected and it isn't tested. There are people who die from the virus and they aren't tested for it either. You can't derive stats from uncollected data.

By *ubynaughtyCouple  over a year ago

sheffield

That's 729 cases out of people who have been tested. They said today that it is more than likely in the 1000s that have got it but haven't been tested, giving a much lower death rate.

There are people who get infected and it isn't tested. There are people who die from the virus and they aren't tested for it either. You can't derive stats from uncollected data."

But the stats aren't an actually representation of what is really happening so producing stats of a small percentage of people isn't portraying the facts. The death rate would presumably be lower if more people were tested.

There are people who get infected and it isn't tested. There are people who die from the virus and they aren't tested for it either. You can't derive stats from uncollected data.

But the stats aren't an actually representation of what is really happening so producing stats of a small percentage of people isn't portraying the facts. The death rate would presumably be lower if more people were tested."

How do do you know it's a small percentage? You cannot quantify the uncollected data because it is an unknown.

The are cases like the Diamond Princes where every person has been tested. 696 infected, 7 so far deceased, 364 of those cases still open.

Chelmsford

News reports today suggesting that emergency laws will be passed shortly relating to mass gatherings.. I wonder what will define a mass gathering ,? A pub on a Friday night ? Also the power to detain... No free movement of people perhaps ?

Scunthorpe

"News reports today suggesting that emergency laws will be passed shortly relating to mass gatherings.. I wonder what will define a mass gathering ,? A pub on a Friday night ? Also the power to detain... No free movement of people perhaps ?"

They suggested "over 500"

By *ools and the brainCouple  over a year ago

couple, us we him her.

"News reports today suggesting that emergency laws will be passed shortly relating to mass gatherings.. I wonder what will define a mass gathering ,? A pub on a Friday night ? Also the power to detain... No free movement of people perhaps ?"

You have every right to be smug Tom, you did tell us all and no one listened.

Not that I am accusing you btw I am just saying that if you wanted to you have every right to be smug.

Chelmsford

"News reports today suggesting that emergency laws will be passed shortly relating to mass gatherings.. I wonder what will define a mass gathering ,? A pub on a Friday night ? Also the power to detain... No free movement of people perhaps ?

They suggested "over 500""

A Wetherspoons sized pub maybe

Chelmsford

"News reports today suggesting that emergency laws will be passed shortly relating to mass gatherings.. I wonder what will define a mass gathering ,? A pub on a Friday night ? Also the power to detain... No free movement of people perhaps ?

You have every right to be smug Tom, you did tell us all and no one listened.

Not that I am accusing you btw I am just saying that if you wanted to you have every right to be smug.

"

Not pleased, not happy, not smug, just hopeful that this ends as well as it can..

Let's all prey that it will..

[Removed by poster at 14/03/20 12:33:15]

Did I not say Tom was a visionary? Did I not

Now, to see off those bloody sharks!! Evil bastard things

I don't really understand what this has to do with swinging so why is it talked about so much on here.

By *ickygirl41Woman  over a year ago

Glasgow

Not like flu.

Flu mortality approx 0.3%

Covid 2.7-3.8%

Assuming a 3% mortality is over 100 million people in a year, dying.

Then add on all the "normal" deaths on top.

By *ear in the chairMan  over a year ago

Godstone

Is this still going

New feature needed. Thread BLOCK

By *evil_u_knowMan  over a year ago

city

Its ironic, the old people voted Boris in to bring back good old Britain.

First crisis, he basically tells them all they can all just die.

Couldn't really make it up.

"Its ironic, the old people voted Boris in to bring back good old Britain.

Couldn't really make it up."

You couldn't at all! It's a hell of a thing to be thought of by the government at expendable. I suspect the hope is that if enough die they will save on health care and pensions over the next few years to help fund all this. Far fetched?

By *ophieslutTV/TS  over a year ago

Central

The NHS was starved for 10 years and cannot be expected to cope with the potential numbers of infections, especially whilst staffing levels are low.

The WHO criticism of the government for using the strategy of getting maximum numbers of people infected, to achieve herd immunity, should be sufficient power to enforce a turnaround here. The UK should seek and follow a global strategy, instead of putting its population as a case study in seeking herd immunity, which involves many more deaths than other strategies.

The UK death toll nearly doubled fron 11 to 21....

So very very sad

It’s much more deadly than the flu...

"Hello its like flu some don't do well with flu most make a full recovery!

It’s much more deadly than the flu..."

According to the CDC 46 million people were infected by flu in the USA. 25 000 to 50 000 died.

At this rate we will have 25 000 to 50 000 dead before we reach 1 million known infected.

Yes. At on end we have infected people who never get recorded, just as there are COVID-19 deaths that are attributed to other causes.

It seems to be a mantra on here. It's not as bad as the flu. I still have to see one instance of referenced data that backs it up.

Let me see if I understand this. Countries who are trying to contain this virus through quarantine are NOT allowed to fly to the USA. The one country who wants 60% of its population to get to develop "herd" immunity CAN fly to the USA????

"The News Letter reported that about a dozen schools were closed and several businesses were affected due to the number of workers who had fallen ill.

But editors were clearly concerned about being accused of scaremongering"

It seems that this word has been used for a century as an excuse to sit on ones hands and do nothing while millions die.

Lessons learned: 0

By *ickeyblueeyes7Man  over a year ago

newport

Keep calm and carry on ffs

Dudley

""The News Letter reported that about a dozen schools were closed and several businesses were affected due to the number of workers who had fallen ill.

It seems that this word has been used for a century as an excuse to sit on ones hands and do nothing while millions die.

"

Don't you get bored of constantly adding to threads with doom and gloom?

MSM is really pissing me off giving a blow by blow account of the poor buggers dying of this. Annual flu deaths in the UK have averaged 17k per year with low of @1700 and high of @28k. We don't normally get this level of scrutiny and it's causing chaos..

[Removed by poster at 14/03/20 18:50:21]

By *riskynriskyCouple  over a year ago

Essex.

Can us over 50s get discount funerals if we have a mass grave?

""The News Letter reported that about a dozen schools were closed and several businesses were affected due to the number of workers who had fallen ill.

Don't you get bored of constantly adding to threads with doom and gloom? "

Don't you get bored of trying to tell people what to say and think?

"MSM is really pissing me off giving a blow by blow account of the poor buggers dying of this. Annual flu deaths in the UK have averaged 17k per year with low of @1700 and high of @28k. We don't normally get this level of scrutiny and it's causing chaos.."

Thanks for being the umpteenth person to inform us how many people a cocktail of viruses kills in a year at a rate of 0.35%. Perhaps a single virus that might kill that many in 6 (at 3.4%) months is worth our attention. The Spanish flu lasted 3 years. So lets have a look in 3 years time at what the death toll of COVID-19 is and compare it to all the seasonal flu viruses combined?

Dudley

Don't you get bored of trying to tell people what to say and think?"

Where have I done that? I'm fairly sure that's what you do with most of your comments.

Don't you get bored of trying to tell people what to say and think?

Where have I done that? I'm fairly sure that's what you do with most of your comments. "

Do actually have something to say or are you just shitting on everything I say as usual?

"MSM is really pissing me off giving a blow by blow account of the poor buggers dying of this. Annual flu deaths in the UK have averaged 17k per year with low of @1700 and high of @28k. We don't normally get this level of scrutiny and it's causing chaos..

Thanks for being the umpteenth person to inform us how many people a cocktail of viruses kills in a year at a rate of 0.35%. Perhaps a single virus that might kill that many in 6 (at 3.4%) months is worth our attention. The Spanish flu lasted 3 years. So lets have a look in 3 years time at what the death toll of COVID-19 is and compare it to all the seasonal flu viruses combined?"

Not judging but you really need to chill reading a lot of your posts, it's not all doom and gloom. For most it's a mild cold. The fella has an underlying asthma condition and he's carried as normal and is fine, we're off to a swingers club tonight to swap body fluids with others, we won't be wearing masks or body suits, sometimes you need to just be calm and rational

Please point anyware where I am being panic sticken? That's just a label you have stuck on me.

Actually it is pretty doomy and gloomy for people who have died, for their families. For those affected line airline workers who about to lose their jobs, for business who will go under.

I feel compassion for them and I won't apologise for it.

If you don't like what I write, skip it.

"MSM is really pissing me off giving a blow by blow account of the poor buggers dying of this. Annual flu deaths in the UK have averaged 17k per year with low of @1700 and high of @28k. We don't normally get this level of scrutiny and it's causing chaos..

Thanks for being the umpteenth person to inform us how many people a cocktail of viruses kills in a year at a rate of 0.35%. Perhaps a single virus that might kill that many in 6 (at 3.4%) months is worth our attention. The Spanish flu lasted 3 years. So lets have a look in 3 years time at what the death toll of COVID-19 is and compare it to all the seasonal flu viruses combined?

Not judging but you really need to chill reading a lot of your posts, it's not all doom and gloom. For most it's a mild cold. The fella has an underlying asthma condition and he's carried as normal and is fine, we're off to a swingers club tonight to swap body fluids with others, we won't be wearing masks or body suits, sometimes you need to just be calm and rational "

Enjoy your club meet

We have two club events booked for the end of the month but it seems they will be cancelled. Yay!!! (Not because I'm happy about it but but the thought police need me to be happy when bad things happen )

Chelmsford

"Its ironic, the old people voted Boris in to bring back good old Britain.

Couldn't really make it up."

A revelation.. Boris is not Jesus ...He cannot save..

https://youtu.be/HSD1d-6P6qI

Chelmsford

People are bullying MCN.

He is simply analysing a situation ..

And analysing it well

"People are bullying MCN.

He is simply analysing a situation ..

And analysing it well "

Trying to bully. No one has every bullied me ever. If they knew me they would give up trying. Water off a ducks back.

Bring it on would be cyberbullies. Bring it on. I bet all of you combined don't make a dent.

Chelmsford

MCN is resilient..

Some have tried but they fail

What's MCN?

Chelmsford

"What's MCN?"

Motorcycle News ?

By *iss KissWoman  over a year ago

near Coventry

I think the scaremongering is more in words like lockdown!!!. Constantly showing pics of empty shelves in supermarkets and so on. The media is making things worse.

In an unusually stinging editorial, Holden Thorp, a chemist and editor-in-chief of Science, said the president’s “distortion and denial is dangerous and almost certainly contributed to the federal government’s sluggish response. After three years of debating whether the words of this administration matter, the words are now clearly a matter of life and death.”

What is he saying? He is saying that people are going to die as the result of denial (what we are expected to all do here) and not speak the truth (which is what some people call scaremongering)

This policy of not testing...

“The idea of anybody getting [testing] easily the way people in other countries are doing it, we are not set up for that. Do I think we should be? Yes. But we are not,” he said. “It is a failing. I mean, let’s admit it.”

Hmmmmmm

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2020/mar/14/coronavirus-us-testing-donald-trump

I just want to catch it now, see what all the fuss is about

Actually, we know what all the fuss is about.... NOTHING!

"I just want to catch it now, see what all the fuss is about

Actually, we know what all the fuss is about.... NOTHING!"

Saying that the death of thousands of thousands and potentially millions is nothing says a lot about who you are.

Apart from people dying, people are going bankrupt, business are going under, people are losing money on holidays, peoples educations are being disrupted..... the list of mysery goes on and on.

But I guess if YOU are uneffected it is nothing.

Actually, we know what all the fuss is about.... NOTHING!"

What has happened to this country that experts are ignored, legitimate media is ignored and knuckle dragging ignorance such as this is displayed on a regular basis. Are you from the flat earth society??

Chelmsford

What has happened to this country that experts are ignored, legitimate media is ignored and knuckle dragging ignorance such as this is displayed on a regular basis. Are you from the flat earth society??"

For once I agree

What has happened to this country that experts are ignored, legitimate media is ignored and knuckle dragging ignorance such as this is displayed on a regular basis. Are you from the flat earth society??"

Yeah, the same experts who have bigged up every other pandemic we've never had

What has happened to this country that experts are ignored, legitimate media is ignored and knuckle dragging ignorance such as this is displayed on a regular basis. Are you from the flat earth society??

Yeah, the same experts who have bigged up every other pandemic we've never had "

The last virus to be called a pandemic was H1N1 in 2009 which killed between 100 000 and 400 000 people in the first year alone. It had a mortality rate of 0.02%

This has a mortality rate of 3.4%

The last virus to be called a pandemic was H1N1 in 2009 which killed between 100 000 and 400 000 people in the first year alone. It had a mortality rate of 0.02%

"

Yup, diagnosed in swine flu clinics by admin office workers with a tick box paper. If you answered yes to enough questions you went on the list. Crazy stuff.

Yup, diagnosed in swine flu clinics by admin office workers with a tick box paper. If you answered yes to enough questions you went on the list. Crazy stuff. "

But of course.

No matter how wrong some people are proven they will still insist they are right.

Yeah, the same experts who have bigged up every other pandemic we've never had "

There we have it.... beautifully illustrated my point.