FabSwingers.com

FabSwingers.com > Forums > The Lounge > The rise of A.I

The rise of A.I

Jump to: Newest in thread

By (user no longer on site) OP     over a year ago

Am i right to be concerned about current developments in robotics and the striving for true artificial intelligence (where a programme becomes self aware), or have i just been watching too much science fiction?

Do you think think self awareness is achievable? I get the feeling that we're rushing into this without thought for the consequences.

Reply privately, Reply in forum +quote or View forums list

By *partharmonyCouple  over a year ago

Ruislip

I doubt self-awareness as we know it is possible inorganically. Programming may give that impression but I can't see how we could confirm that's what it really is.

I doubt that whatever our opinions on it are, it is an inevitability.

"I doubt self-awareness as we know it is possible inorganically. Programming may give that impression but I can't see how we could confirm that's what it really is.

I doubt that whatever our opinions on it are, it is an inevitability. "

I disagree. If you look at where the human race was only 100 years ago no one then would have thought that what we've achieved now was even remotely possible. It's become the Holy Grail of science and if enough time and resources are thrown at it i think it will happen.

By (user no longer on site)  over a year ago

AI is just a bunch of human programmed algorithms, lots of very clever people all solving small problems and furthering the field.A few systems have passed the Turin test now but can humans create a self aware system? I doubt it but I believe humans will eventually be able to create a self modifying one and that may well lead to real self awareness

By (user no longer on site)  over a year ago

AI follows algorithms to predict the most likely outcome based on past events. This means that it can learn from its mistakes.

The definition of the best outcome is still set be the human programmer.

I’ve done a little bit of AI programming myself on a washing machine when it spins. If it starts to vibrate then it records the speed and avoids spending time at that speed again.

It didn’t work very well as it never really found anything to go by, it didn’t really vibrate at the same speed every time.

"AI follows algorithms to predict the most likely outcome based on past events. This means that it can learn from its mistakes.

The definition of the best outcome is still set be the human programmer.

I’ve done a little bit of AI programming myself on a washing machine when it spins. If it starts to vibrate then it records the speed and avoids spending time at that speed again.

It didn’t work very well as it never really found anything to go by, it didn’t really vibrate at the same speed every time."

I don't think you can say the washing machine has A.I as it's still working within the limits of it's programming. That sounds like a marketting ploy by the manufacturer.

Even the learning algorithms of Alexa and the like do not suggest self awareness, they're simply good mimics though that's not to say they don't have the potential.

By *rHotNottsMan  over a year ago

Dubai & Nottingham

How can a bunch of on/off switches ever be capable of anything but being switch on or off ?

There was talk in the 90s about replacing the underlying binary architecture with something organic and able to support more than two states but it never happened and it still would not enable consciousness or self awareness just more memory.

You should only be concerned at how gullible and easily fooled people are by clever marketing.

Self awareness is being able to project your thoughts onto yourself from outside yourself and be objective in regard to your ego. Or to be totally present in the now ignoring responses to external stimulus How do you do that ? It’s dependant on something like a soul or something separate from your CPU something computers have and no-one can create

» Add a new message to this topic