FabSwingers.com

FabSwingers.com > Forums > The Lounge > Car advice please

Car advice please

Jump to: Newest in thread

By (user no longer on site) OP     over a year ago

When pulling away aftet ive left the car for an hour or two, the brake shoes stick on and I have to pull away with a small amount of effort to get the shoe free, with bang noise. Today there was a bang noise accompanied by a spring making a twang noise.

This used to be a problem in the wet, but does it all the time now.

Is it something that is normal or does it warrant a garage visit?

Reply privately, Reply in forum +quote or View forums list

By (user no longer on site)  over a year ago

Get to the garage! Doesnt sound very good

Does your handbrake feel normal?

Seized caliper maybe?

By *den-Valley-coupleCouple  over a year ago

Cumbria

Sounds as if you may need new brake pads and discs probably only need a new brake pads but it sounds as if you warm them away that badly it's damaged discs...

"Does your handbrake feel normal? "

Yes, just when pulling away. Thanks for the replies, I'll call the garage

Ad above seized caliper it need stripping down cleaning and re greasing, happens all the time in winter especially on my car as it only really goes anywhere at weekends, if you take it to a garage and they charge you for a new one insist on seeing the one they took off, its common for some garages to just clean them up and bill you for a new one, actually any part that gets replaced at a garage you should ask to see the old parts.

"When pulling away aftet ive left the car for an hour or two, the brake shoes stick on and I have to pull away with a small amount of effort to get the shoe free, with bang noise. Today there was a bang noise accompanied by a spring making a twang noise.

Is it something that is normal or does it warrant a garage visit? "

is it a skoda

"When pulling away aftet ive left the car for an hour or two, the brake shoes stick on and I have to pull away with a small amount of effort to get the shoe free, with bang noise. Today there was a bang noise accompanied by a spring making a twang noise.

A good rule of thumb is, if the brakes aren't working properly, take it to a garage.

They won't magically fix themselves

By *lex46TV/TS  over a year ago

Near Wells

If you don't use the car very often the brakes will stick on, but they should release immediately with a little lunge (only way I can think of describing it) when you pull away.

They should be fine after that but if it persists get assistance. Brakes are a very important part of a vehicle.

"Get to the garage! Doesnt sound very good"

Either that or cut a big hole in the floor and wear stout shoes.

By *hunky GentMan  over a year ago

Maldon and Peterborough

Sounds like the handbrake to me.

I presume it's still stopping OK when driving & not pulling to one side under braking?

If the brakes are binding whilst driving then it's the caliper sliders that need cleaning and greasing, if they're fine after the clunky then it's the handbrake pivot arm that's sticking on (the little pivot point that the handbrake cable attaches to) 2 man job unfortunately to free that off as you ideally need someone to work the handbrake while you pry it back to the open position and blather it with penetrating fluid (ooh err missus) when they release the lever until it become free enough to easily release by itself, then cake it grease to protect it from the road salt, boring tedious general maintenance job.

"Sounds like the handbrake to me.

I presume it's still stopping OK when driving & not pulling to one side under braking? "

No its all fine, just the shoes stick to the drums when i take the handbrake off.

Maldon and Peterborough

"Sounds like the handbrake to me.

I presume it's still stopping OK when driving & not pulling to one side under braking?

No its all fine, just the shoes stick to the drums when i take the handbrake off. "

It's probably the solenoid then.

Easy fix if you don't want the garage costs.

By *ruebameMan  over a year ago

from the womb and tryout to get back

Not sure if this has been asked but make of car would be good as some handbrakes have there own shoes so could be that you have drum and disk brakes to the rear pads may look find but you wont be able to look at shoes until it's been stripped down

Possibly the hand brake actuating lever starting to seize up in the brake setup...

can I ask what car it is???

By *innocentMan  over a year ago

Littlehampton

why is everyone talking about brakes or calipers ????

BRAKES AND CALIPERS DO NOT ENGAGE WHEN THE VEHICLE IS PARKED.

It is the handbrake seizing.

The twang noise is the cable being damaged completely or becoming loose

Unless like a Landrover Freelander, the mechanism seizes up, and needs stipping down, working loose, lubricating and refitting...

Sorry I'm a mechanic with 30yrs experience in Land Rover, VW Audi and JUST this week set up my own garage

so - depending on what car it is.... some have EPB systems where the calipers tend to crack if not worked on correctly and water gets into the mechanism causing the sticking...

could be anything... but we are all guessing until we know what car the OP has. - I really REALLY apologise if this reply appears to be a rant... it isn't meant that way!

Just get it checked properly.

"Just get it checked properly."

Agreed!

If I was local - I would do it for the OP!

Firstly let's establish if we're talking about shoes or pads because this might be confusing the issue.

Brake shoes are used in Drum brakes, which aren't used on anywhere near as many cars as they used to be, and on those cars that still do have them, they're only ever fitted on the rear.

Pads are used in Caliper set ups.

So, now we've got that out of the way, are we talking about a problem at the front or the rear of the car.

You mention a twanging, spring noise, which would suggest that it's a problem affecting your rear brakes.

Brake drums have a number of springs in them as part of the handbrake mechanism - but this won't be relevant if your car has discs on the rear.

Going only by what you have described in your initial post, I would suspect that you have drum brakes and that something may have dislodged on the handbrake mechanism, which may be jamming the mechanism, causing problems disengaging the handbrake.

It could even be a case of simply requiring adjustment.

You do need to get it looked at.

By *riskygazMan  over a year ago

birmingham

your brake shoes are probably completely worn-out, and now slowly falling apart from overheating if they are now down to the metal. best get them looked at ASAP

"Firstly let's establish if we're talking about shoes or pads because this might be confusing the issue.

Brake shoes are used in Drum brakes, which aren't used on anywhere near as many cars as they used to be, and on those cars that still do have them, they're only ever fitted on the rear.

So, now we've got that out of the way, are we talking about a problem at the front or the rear of the car.

You mention a twanging, spring noise, which would suggest that it's a problem affecting your rear brakes.

Brake drums have a number of springs in them as part of the handbrake mechanism - but this won't be relevant if your car has discs on the rear.

Going only by what you have described in your initial post, I would suspect that you have drum brakes and that something may have dislodged on the handbrake mechanism, which may be jamming the mechanism, causing problems disengaging the handbrake.

You do need to get it looked at."

Yes its drum brakes on the rear. 08 plate polo. Today it was worse and heard the spring twang when i pulled away, as the dhoes released. To be on the safe side I'm taking it in tomorrow.

"Seized caliper maybe?"

Probably this .. are your disks red hot when you stop....

"your brake shoes are probably completely worn-out, and now slowly falling apart from overheating if they are now down to the metal. best get them looked at ASAP "
you've all convinced me, brakes are one thing i don't want going wrong

By *hongman1Man  over a year ago

Mansfield

"Firstly let's establish if we're talking about shoes or pads because this might be confusing the issue.

Yes its drum brakes on the rear. 08 plate polo. Today it was worse and heard the spring twang when i pulled away, as the dhoes released. To be on the safe side I'm taking it in tomorrow. "

Probably no meat left on the shoes, so metal on metal gets extremely hot and they’re sticking on, essentially welding together and you’re “snapping” them off when you pull away

"Seized caliper maybe?

Probably this .. are your disks red hot when you stop...."

No, i washed it today and no steam off the wheels olus tested it with my hand carefully.

A bang bang with a twang! Sounds serious! Has someone planted a bomb on your car???

By *ensualtouch15Man  over a year ago

ashby de la zouch

Yes its drum brakes on the rear. 08 plate polo. Today it was worse and heard the spring twang when i pulled away, as the dhoes released. To be on the safe side I'm taking it in tomorrow. "

Here's my take

No one here knows

It does not sound a positive noise

Investigation IS required

Who does it is up to you . You(depending on skil) a person you trust a recommended garage

However if your asking the obvious on an internet sex site I do suggest you're not the one to investigate

By *hongman1Man  over a year ago

Mansfield

Yes its drum brakes on the rear. 08 plate polo. Today it was worse and heard the spring twang when i pulled away, as the dhoes released. To be on the safe side I'm taking it in tomorrow.

Here's my take

No one here knows

Who does it is up to you . You(depending on skil) a person you trust a recommended garage

However if your asking the obvious on an internet sex site I do suggest you're not the one to investigate

"

No one here knows? You mean you don’t know?

I’ve seen a fair amount of sensible suggestions based on not being able to hear or see it for themselves

Front or back . Do you had an Electric hand brake or manual?

Sounds like it’s a hand brake sticking on.

If it’s the front you prob have no brake linnings left . Squeal when stopping .

The minimum it could be is your not letting and electric hand brake full release before moving.

By *emma HoldenTV/TS  over a year ago

Ramsey

Same problem with my 03 golf mk4 if I don't use it for a week or so. Rear shoes stick on with the handbrake & then let go when you pull away then fine until next time. If I use it more often, it doesn't happen. The twang isn't normal though. That would make me investigate further.

By *rHotNottsMan  over a year ago

Dubai & Nottingham

Could it be your discs are so worn the calliper is sticking to it ?

"Could it be your discs are so worn the calliper is sticking to it ? "

We've established that the problem is affecting his rear drum brakes

By *tella HeelsTV/TS  over a year ago

west here ford shire

With brakes (hydraulic systems) it’s safety first, it does sound like the hydraulic unit that pushes the brake shoes on or callipers, is not returning. Thus seized..

I strongly suggest you go to a reputable garage and get this sorted

ashby de la zouch

Here's my take

No one here knows

I’ve seen a fair amount of sensible suggestions based on not being able to hear or see it for themselves "

Knows the word is "knows"

Without investing no one "knows" what the noise is

ashby de la zouch

Here's my take

No one here knows

I’ve seen a fair amount of sensible suggestions based on not being able to hear or see it for themselves

Knows the word is "knows"

Without investing no one "knows" what the noise is

"

Lots of guesses some I'm sure are correct however competent investigation is the only advice to be given based upon what we all "know"

Definitely on the handbrake side of things rather than the foot brake.

There are basically two types of brake, a drum or a disc. Some discs have an internal drum for the hand brake.

The noise you described sounds like the shoes sticking to a drum and one of the retaining clips breaking.

Without knowing the specifics of your car, I wouldn’t want to guess whether the foot brake is in a serviceable condition.

What I will say is that it’s not in a roadworthy condition and you would be in deep shit if you are involved in an accident and it comes out that you have faulty brakes.

If you can’t afford a garage then at least get someone who knows a bit about cars to have a look. Brakes are not rocket science to work on, they’re actually very basic, but also very important.

ashby de la zouch

"Definitely on the handbrake side of things rather than the foot brake.

There are basically two types of brake, a drum or a disc. Some discs have an internal drum for the hand brake.

The noise you described sounds like the shoes sticking to a drum and one of the retaining clips breaking.

Without knowing the specifics of your car, I wouldn’t want to guess whether the foot brake is in a serviceable condition.

What I will say is that it’s not in a roadworthy condition and you would be in deep shit if you are involved in an accident and it comes out that you have faulty brakes.

If you can’t afford a garage then at least get someone who knows a bit about cars to have a look. Brakes are not rocket science to work on, they’re actually very basic, but also very important."

Update : fixed

New shoes, springs cylinders.

Maldon and Peterborough

"Update : fixed

"

Well done. Was the Handbrake then?

"Update : fixed

Well done. Was the Handbrake then? "

Yep. Works great now.

The other day I got in my car and it caught fire, made a springing twangy noise, all the wheels fell off and then the radio stopped working.

.....is this normal and should I go to a garage?

"The other day I got in my car and it caught fire, made a springing twangy noise, all the wheels fell off and then the radio stopped working.

"

Nah!

Sounds like the handbrake is sticking, does it do it if you don't use the handbrake and leave it in gear ?

Maldon and Peterborough

"The other day I got in my car and it caught fire, made a springing twangy noise, all the wheels fell off and then the radio stopped working.

"

No, back to the circus.

By *xccvvMan  over a year ago

Yorkshire North East

Just sen all sorted

Bit of advice, and this is for many makes and models

Leave car in gear, not hand brake, if you can

Especially in winter months

Hand brakes can freeze, and stick in the cold, and also just stick in summer months

"Sounds like the handbrake is sticking, does it do it if you don't use the handbrake and leave it in gear ? "

No it didn't, i used to do whst you said if I'd be driving in the rain. All fixed now

"Just sen all sorted

Bit of advice, and this is for many makes and models

Leave car in gear, not hand brake, if you can

Especially in winter months

Hand brakes can freeze, and stick in the cold, and also just stick in summer months"

» Add a new message to this topic