FabSwingers.com

FabSwingers.com > Forums > The Lounge > Eggs and chickens

Eggs and chickens

Jump to: Newest in thread

By *ophieslut OP   TV/TS  over a year ago

Central

Would you prefer chicken eggs of 1 colour to another - such as brown to white eggs?

The UK moved towards brown eggs, instead of white, many years ago, as producers believed customers preferred them. These hens are thought to be more prone to pecking others.

The UK still permits hens to have their beaks partially removed, to prevent them damaging other hens, sometimes killing them. The RAPCA still supports farmers doing this too.

What are your thoughts, if you are in egg eater?

I find it barbaric, especially when other hen management options can prevent and reduce hens pecking each other, typically if they have more space, are less stressed etc.

Reply privately, Reply in forum +quote or View forums list

By *asmeenTV/TS  over a year ago

STOKE ON TRENT

Don't like eggs

By *rwhowhatwherewhyMan  over a year ago

Aylesbury

"Would you prefer chicken eggs of 1 colour to another - such as brown to white eggs?

The UK moved towards brown eggs, instead of white, many years ago, as producers believed customers preferred them. These hens are thought to be more prone to pecking others.

The UK still permits hens to have their beaks partially removed, to prevent them damaging other hens, sometimes killing them. The RAPCA still supports farmers doing this too.

I find it barbaric, especially when other hen management options can prevent and reduce hens pecking each other, typically if they have more space, are less stressed etc. "

Eggs are delicious. Taste wise there is no difference between brown and white. Duck eggs are the best

By *ssex_tomMan  over a year ago

Chelmsford

I like the blue coloured eggs and free range with deep yellow yolks taste better in my opinion. Shame that beaks are interfered with and they are close enough to peck each other. Do free roaming chickens naturally peck at each other ?

Perhaps it's just natural behaviour...

By (user no longer on site)  over a year ago

Eggs are one of my favourite foods but I will only buy certified organic ones as the conditions for most hens is just barbaric

"Would you prefer chicken eggs of 1 colour to another - such as brown to white eggs?

I find it barbaric, especially when other hen management options can prevent and reduce hens pecking each other, typically if they have more space, are less stressed etc. "

so it isn't barbaric one hen hacking another hen to bits with its beak lol they don't have brains as do many humans and they are part of the food chain whether some like it or not, some humans love animals to the point of ridiculous and some don't its life, i don't mind what colour the shell is as long as its not cracked

Central

"I like the blue coloured eggs and free range with deep yellow yolks taste better in my opinion. Shame that beaks are interfered with and they are close enough to peck each other. Do free roaming chickens naturally peck at each other ?

Perhaps it's just natural behaviour..."

Some hens have a pecking order

Naturally they may peck but breeding also apparently may leave some genetically more or less predisposed to it. The producers have said that they switched to the brown egg laying hens due to public demand and they peck more.

It's illegal in some countries to take their beaks away - it's a partial removal.

Central

I find it barbaric, especially when other hen management options can prevent and reduce hens pecking each other, typically if they have more space, are less stressed etc. so it isn't barbaric one hen hacking another hen to bits with its beak lol they don't have brains as do many humans and they are part of the food chain whether some like it or not, some humans love animals to the point of ridiculous and some don't its life, i don't mind what colour the shell is as long as its not cracked "

Hens are quite intelligent

I have eggs off my neighbour who has about 40 chickens down her stables with her horses. They’re bonkers those chickens, they’re free range as fuck as well, they’re always walking about in the lanes in gangs.

I like eggs a lot. Only ever buy free range (same with chicken) so hopefully no cruelty of this nature involved. If I thought otherwise I would have to seek alternatives.

By *atricia ParnelWoman  over a year ago

In a town full of colours

We eat our spoilt pet chickens eggs, lovely and creamy

By *a Fee VerteWoman  over a year ago

Limbo

I buy eggs from a nearby farm where the chickens they came from happily wander about all over the place. I'm aware that's simply not an option for many but there's a distinct difference in flavour compared to supermarket eggs, even those labelled as free range or organic. I couldn't care less about the shell colour so long as welfare standards are maintained. I'd like my own chickens but space is an issue unfortunately.

Central

I think it would be good for the practice to be illegal, which would make the producers have to find better solutions to the issue. They'd probably want to increase prices but animal health is important. It's good to see that it's illegal in other countries. And I think the public wouldn't care about egg colour, if hens were healthy and looked after well.

I find it barbaric, especially when other hen management options can prevent and reduce hens pecking each other, typically if they have more space, are less stressed etc. so it isn't barbaric one hen hacking another hen to bits with its beak lol they don't have brains as do many humans and they are part of the food chain whether some like it or not, some humans love animals to the point of ridiculous and some don't its life, i don't mind what colour the shell is as long as its not cracked

Hens are quite intelligent "

lol ok i believe you

I didn't know about the brown egg white egg thing. It's a shame this isn't more commonly known. I'd happily eat white eggs.

By *a Fee VerteWoman  over a year ago

Limbo

I'm pretty sure - because I'm old - that the eggs I had as a kid were usually white. I'm not sure anyone gave it much thought.

By *aitonelMan  over a year ago

Liverpool

I find it barbaric, especially when other hen management options can prevent and reduce hens pecking each other, typically if they have more space, are less stressed etc. so it isn't barbaric one hen hacking another hen to bits with its beak lol they don't have brains as do many humans and they are part of the food chain whether some like it or not, some humans love animals to the point of ridiculous and some don't its life, i don't mind what colour the shell is as long as its not cracked

Hens are quite intelligent lol ok i believe you "

Clearly you are not intelligent though if you think chickens don't have brains. They are self aware animals, with the potential of intelligence in some areas equal to that of a 7 year old human child.

They show empathy, forms of logic, and hints of subterfuge.

They peck each other due to stress and close proximity to each other. All animals have conflicts among themselves but confined spaces in stressful environments cause psychological issues resulting in this type of behaviour. Behaviour caused by humans, that could be avoided in other ways instead of deforming the animal.

By *ylvie 888Woman  over a year ago

Cleethorpes

I love eggs. Dont care what colour the shell is... it just goes on compost heap .. its calcium after all.

I didnt realise the lengths people go to. If beak chopping was like cutting puppies claws etc.. It would be ok...

1. Didnt know they chopped beaks! Dont agree with it.

2. Treat the hen kindly and give it some space so it doesnt have to peck others and the one being pecked as room to run away!

Hens are quite intelligent lol ok i believe you

Clearly you are not intelligent though if you think chickens don't have brains. They are self aware animals, with the potential of intelligence in some areas equal to that of a 7 year old human child.

They peck each other due to stress and close proximity to each other. All animals have conflicts among themselves but confined spaces in stressful environments cause psychological issues resulting in this type of behaviour. Behaviour caused by humans, that could be avoided in other ways instead of deforming the animal. "

By *rumpyMcFuckNuggetMan  over a year ago

Den of Iniquity

I like Cadbury Creme ones better

Central

I think this may be covered in Thursday's Radio 4 'You and yours', the cobsumer show at 12.18pm I just caught the end of today's show.

It's worth a search for chicken beaking.

By *elma and ShaggyCouple  over a year ago

Bedworth

I prefer my eggs fresh from the hen house at the bottom of our garden. We currently have a couple of elderly pekin bantams. They still lay but not as often as when they were younger, they lay eggs which are smaller than regular egg, with almost white shells. Once the ground dries up we’ve got a new larger coop to build as I want more hens. I plan to get a couple of Araucana’s which lay blue eggs, a couple of Maran’s which lay chocolate brown colour eggs and I also want to rehome a couple of tatty batty’s

Chelmsford

Hens are quite intelligent lol ok i believe you

They peck each other due to stress and close proximity to each other. All animals have conflicts among themselves but confined spaces in stressful environments cause psychological issues resulting in this type of behaviour. Behaviour caused by humans, that could be avoided in other ways instead of deforming the animal. "

Not sure seven year-old kids are that bright to be honest..

Not sure we should be cutting their beaks either.. does anybody know if it is painful

Chelmsford

"I prefer my eggs fresh from the hen house at the bottom of our garden. We currently have a couple of elderly pekin bantams. They still lay but not as often as when they were younger, they lay eggs which are smaller than regular egg, with almost white shells. Once the ground dries up we’ve got a new larger coop to build as I want more hens. I plan to get a couple of Araucana’s which lay blue eggs, a couple of Maran’s which lay chocolate brown colour eggs and I also want to rehome a couple of tatty batty’s "

Are the eggs different in flavour ?

By *elma and ShaggyCouple  over a year ago

Bedworth

"I prefer my eggs fresh from the hen house at the bottom of our garden. We currently have a couple of elderly pekin bantams. They still lay but not as often as when they were younger, they lay eggs which are smaller than regular egg, with almost white shells. Once the ground dries up we’ve got a new larger coop to build as I want more hens. I plan to get a couple of Araucana’s which lay blue eggs, a couple of Maran’s which lay chocolate brown colour eggs and I also want to rehome a couple of tatty batty’s

Are the eggs different in flavour ?"

I think they taste better. Because pet hens get to free range in the garden, they get to scratch around in the dirt, eat all sorts of bugs and worms. Not to mention eating the strawberries, tomatoes and salad greens I try to grow at home too. The varied, omnivorous diet gives their eggs a fabulous flavour and beautiful coloured yolks. The different shell colour makes no difference to taste, they just look nice

» Add a new message to this topic