FabSwingers.com

FabSwingers.com > Forums > The Lounge > Jobs for Life

Jobs for Life

Jump to: Newest in thread

By *ssex_tom OP   Man  over a year ago

Chelmsford

Peter Purves, ex Blue Peter printer, and over 40 years as a Crufts commentator was axed from the show. Carol Vorderman was axed from Countdown. Should there be jobs for life?

Reply privately, Reply in forum +quote or View forums list

By *icecouple561Couple  over a year ago
Forum Mod

East Sussex

Only if you can do the job effectively for life. I think there should be employment for life (if you want it) though but us old 'uns need to move over for the upcoming younger people of things stagnate.

By *aitonelMan  over a year ago

Liverpool

"Only if you can do the job effectively for life. I think there should be employment for life (if you want it) though but us old 'uns need to move over for the upcoming younger people of things stagnate."

I agree with this. In terms of TV, sometimes a personality no longer meshes with the direction the show is going. Sometimes a new face is needed to inject new life to it.

By (user no longer on site)  over a year ago

I think it very much depends on the job. I think when you have someone who has been in a job for a very long time, they can block new talent from progressing and it doesn’t allow for creativity/new ideas. A job for life and a career for life are 2 different things.

By *pmsldCouple  over a year ago

kettering

Simple answer no.. theres no guarantee that you will continue to be the best person for the job for your entire life. employers need protection and the ability to let people go when needed. The fact is not everyone can deal with change so sometimes people need to be replaced otherwise it can effect others negatively. I'm sure the world of TV and film have it even harder as if they dont stay relevant in the public eye then they arent going to get/keep jobs no matter how good they might be.

By *aitonelMan  over a year ago

Liverpool

"I think it very much depends on the job. I think when you have someone who has been in a job for a very long time, they can block new talent from progressing and it doesn’t allow for creativity/new ideas. A job for life and a career for life are 2 different things. "

Oh I like that last part. Very good point.

By *layfullsamMan  over a year ago

Solihull

"Peter Purves, ex Blue Peter printer, and over 40 years as a Crufts commentator was axed from the show. Carol Vorderman was axed from Countdown. Should there be jobs for life? "

Definitely not for the sake of it but if the person is the best person for the job then let them continue

By *ranny-CrumpetWoman  over a year ago

King's Crustacean

No.

Not unless it's in your contract.

I’d love to be a coroner but that’s mad skills involved. Years and years and years. Have to have medical degrees and law degrees. Most of them work until their 70’s as well cos they’re hard to find and replace.

no they shouldn't

the reason Vorderman was sacked was because she wanted more money

» Add a new message to this topic