FabSwingers.com

FabSwingers.com > Forums > The Lounge > The two faces of humanity

The two faces of humanity

Jump to: Newest in thread

By (user no longer on site) OP     over a year ago

In the recent floods we have had people sharing houses and food and supplies and helping each other out with all manner of things.

And then all this panic buying business and madness with everyone thinking only for themselves and their own immediate survival (not that we need to)

I would hope the latter would realise they need to become more like the former if there was an actual real crisis happen but the two contrasts are currently quite stark to watch.

No question to answer, just a people watching thing.

Reply privately, Reply in forum +quote or View forums list

By (user no longer on site)  over a year ago

"In the recent floods we have had people sharing houses and food and supplies and helping each other out with all manner of things.

And then all this panic buying business and madness with everyone thinking only for themselves and their own immediate survival (not that we need to)

I would hope the latter would realise they need to become more like the former if there was an actual real crisis happen but the two contrasts are currently quite stark to watch.

No question to answer, just a people watching thing. "

Human nature i'm afraid.

By *olgateMan  over a year ago

on the road to nowhere in particular

I can’t believe the panic over bog roll. It’s hardly a necessity

"I can’t believe the panic over bog roll. It’s hardly a necessity "

You clearly havent seen the empty beans shelves

Not while they're still printing newspaper.

By *aastyKnixWoman  over a year ago

Liverpool

I've wondered about that too. Does corona virus give you diarrhoea? They don't seem to be mentioning that in all the official advice.

By *ranny-CrumpetWoman  over a year ago

King's Crustacean

"In the recent floods we have had people sharing houses and food and supplies and helping each other out with all manner of things.

No question to answer, just a people watching thing. "

Here's a people watching thing for you

The two problems are not alike and so, to my mind, don't elicit the same response.

If you believe that behaviour isn't situational go and buy a shit load of stuff from the shops ( things you think your family will need if the shops run out ) and give it to other families instead.

(p.s. I don't think there is any need to panic buy )

By *onty1971Man  over a year ago

London St Helier Trier

Some do want to be prepared. They bought ages ago or were always well stocked. In Germany they advise you to always have some reserves in case of supply disruption. I remember one winter in Europe that combined with strikes meant there was 24 hours of fuel in parts of Western Europe left. Thankfully they kept it quite for fear of panic buying. Now in France you can get areas very low on fuel.

Then those who buy now are ones trying to catch up. Have no plan, buy the wrong stuff, in the wrong quantities...

Now which group do you want to help you?

The second group needs an attitude change which will never happen.

By *edangel_2013Woman  over a year ago

southend

Last week #bekind

This week #beatsomeoneupfortoiletroll

No question to answer, just a people watching thing.

Here's a people watching thing for you

The two problems are not alike and so, to my mind, don't elicit the same response.

If you believe that behaviour isn't situational go and buy a shit load of stuff from the shops ( things you think your family will need if the shops run out ) and give it to other families instead.

(p.s. I don't think there is any need to panic buy )

"

Its all a survival thing though so feels similair. We wont last without each other.

"Some do want to be prepared. They bought ages ago or were always well stocked. In Germany they advise you to always have some reserves in case of supply disruption. I remember one winter in Europe that combined with strikes meant there was 24 hours of fuel in parts of Western Europe left. Thankfully they kept it quite for fear of panic buying. Now in France you can get areas very low on fuel.

Then those who buy now are ones trying to catch up. Have no plan, buy the wrong stuff, in the wrong quantities...

Now which group do you want to help you?

The second group needs an attitude change which will never happen. "

I like the smallholder mentality of always having a full pantry and spare fuel for the generator.

I feel like a lot of people treat it as drama. They want to be involved in something bigger than themselves and overreact in order to fulfill something in life.

"I feel like a lot of people treat it as drama. They want to be involved in something bigger than themselves and overreact in order to fulfill something in life."

God if only there were zombies. We all want zombies really.

We bought in extra stuff a couple of weeks ago. Partly because it seemed sensible in case there was a rush on the shops (and here we are), and partly because I wanted to make sure we had a couple of weeks worth of stuff if we did need to self isolate.

Now I've got to go as we're expecting a really big Ocado delivery...

By *ylvie 888Woman  over a year ago

Cleethorpes

"I feel like a lot of people treat it as drama. They want to be involved in something bigger than themselves and overreact in order to fulfill something in life.

God if only there were zombies. We all want zombies really. "

Then we can all go to the Winchester, have a nice cold pint until this all blows over.

» Add a new message to this topic