FabSwingers.com

FabSwingers.com > Forums > The Lounge > Keep the change

Keep the change

Jump to: Newest in thread

By (user no longer on site) OP     over a year ago

My friend recently started doing some delivery driving on the side and I was quite surprised when he told me more people don't tip than do. Unless the service is truly appalling (and still even sometimes then because I'm a bit of a mug!) I always tip takeaway/shopping delivery people, taxi drivers, hairdressers/beauticians, waiters and bar staff. About the only people I don't usually are couriers/Amazon/the postman but I give the regular ones something at Xmas.

When I worked in bars in my younger days the tips were amazing, often more than my wage and much appreciated.

Do you tip? Are you in a job that gets tips? Are people not doing it anymore?

Reply privately, Reply in forum +quote or View forums list

By (user no longer on site)  over a year ago

I was a postman for a while and always get well rewarded at xmas time. Done the odd take away delivery driver jobs too and got tips a plenty. Delivered a curry to Nick Faldo during the carnoustie open one year and he let me keep the change.....all 67p of it!

By *ranny-CrumpetWoman  over a year ago

King's Crustacean

I don't believe in tipping ...... full stop.

By *olgateMan  over a year ago

on the road to nowhere in particular

I always tip the pizza guy. I work in an industry where tips are the norm. Women tend to tip less than men

King's Crustacean

"I always tip the pizza guy. I work in an industry where tips are the norm. Women tend to tip less than men"

Why would that be ?

By *erdyWoman  over a year ago

wiltshire

"I don't believe in tipping ...... full stop.

"

Ditto

By *exy Pretty FeetCouple  over a year ago

Live in Scotland Play in England

I read an article about the history behind the practice... bottom line is people should be paid a fair wage. I know it's commonly expected in the service industry but I work at a university and provide a service but don't expect students to tip me for this!

King's Crustacean

"I read an article about the history behind the practice... bottom line is people should be paid a fair wage. I know it's commonly expected in the service industry but I work at a university and provide a service but don't expect students to tip me for this! "

It's fucking archaic

King's Crustacean

Lord of the manor to a penniless serf....

Pay people ffs....

"I read an article about the history behind the practice... bottom line is people should be paid a fair wage. I know it's commonly expected in the service industry but I work at a university and provide a service but don't expect students to tip me for this! "

Yeah I agree with both of those points, that people should be paid a fair wage and it's a bit unfair that other similar jobs don't commonly receive them. I do like doing it to thank someone who's improved my experience of a service or made something more convenient for me, but I also kick myself when I do it through habit or obligation and I actually haven't been impressed at all.

King's Crustacean

Just say thank you.

"Lord of the manor to a penniless serf....

Pay people ffs.... "

I actually don't agree that's the dynamic, I'd wager more tippers are working class than not. But yeah, pay the people FFS

King's Crustacean

Pay people ffs....

I actually don't agree that's the dynamic, I'd wager more tippers are working class than not. But yeah, pay the people FFS "

I meant historically ......... it's a throwback to those times.

Pay people ffs....

I actually don't agree that's the dynamic, I'd wager more tippers are working class than not. But yeah, pay the people FFS

"

Ah sorry, I thought you meant people did it in a patronising/superior way.

By *nabelle21Woman  over a year ago

B38

I was a barmaid when the kids were little and I was at uni and skint. The tips helped quite a bit.

I always tip

King's Crustacean

Pay people ffs....

Ah sorry, I thought you meant people did it in a patronising/superior way. "

Not always.

King's Crustacean

"I was a barmaid when the kids were little and I was at uni and skint. The tips helped quite a bit.

I always tip"

It'd help me if people gave me money too.

I seldom tip.

B38

"I was a barmaid when the kids were little and I was at uni and skint. The tips helped quite a bit.

I always tip

It'd help me if people gave me money too.

I seldom tip."

I don't have much money but more than I had back then. The only time I don't tip is if the service is bad and I normally mention that..That would be my tip

By *ustme34Man  over a year ago

Bradford

Without fail . Even if it's only a couple of quid . And if I'm eating out and planning on paying by card I usually get a couple of quid out of the change jar before I leave . Dont like tipping on card as I expect they dont get it

By *uietlykinkymeWoman  over a year ago

kinky land

I usually just stick my card in, so I pay the bill. I rarely have the need of cash

B38

"Without fail . Even if it's only a couple of quid . And if I'm eating out and planning on paying by card I usually get a couple of quid out of the change jar before I leave . Dont like tipping on card as I expect they dont get it "

I've put it on my card and I expect them to get it..I hope they do!

Some will occasionally say no they can't but most do

By *atBottomGirlsWoman  over a year ago

St Austell-ish

I ALWAYS tip, especially delivery drivers who bring me food on nights I don't want to be out in.

I won't go out in it--I'm just damn grateful there are people who will do it for me.

Yes, they are doing their job (but minimum wage). I don't think of it as paying their salary, but as appreciation for doing something I don't want to.

King's Crustacean

I think of it as subsidising their bosses

"I ALWAYS tip, especially delivery drivers who bring me food on nights I don't want to be out in.

I won't go out in it--I'm just damn grateful there are people who will do it for me.

Yes, they are doing their job (but minimum wage). I don't think of it as paying their salary, but as appreciation for doing something I don't want to."

Yeah that's definitely my thinking for deliveries too. Coming in bad weather, late at night or humphing in heavy shopping so I didn't have to all makes my life more convenient and I'm grateful to the person doing it rather than the company I bought from.

King's Crustacean

You already pay a delivery charge. Why do you feel you have to pay them too?

King's Crustacean

Do you tip a nurse ? Your doctor ? A policeofficer that came to your house when you reported a burglary ?

By *ig_eric_tionMan  over a year ago

IPSWICH

"I don't believe in tipping ...... full stop.

Ditto "

Ditto ditto

"You already pay a delivery charge. Why do you feel you have to pay them too?

"

Because the company gets that. And the person gets their basic wage from them yeah. But I'm grateful to the person for doing the thing I didn't want to.

B38

"

For me it's about the person not the company. Doctors and the like well, I suppose I don't see them as needing it...not on shit wages.

King's Crustacean

So .... are you grateful to your doctor ? the cleaner in the shop ? the train driver ?

Do they get tips ?

King's Crustacean

For me it's about the person not the company. Doctors and the like well, I suppose I don't see them as needing it...not on shit wages."

So it is about giving to people you see as less well off than yourself ?

I'm grateful to all of those jobs yeah. But I tip where the service is something direct to me and it's probably not the best paid. I do tip cleaners in hotels.

King's Crustacean

Supermarket checkout people ? Do they get tips ?

B38

For me it's about the person not the company. Doctors and the like well, I suppose I don't see them as needing it...not on shit wages.

So it is about giving to people you see as less well off than yourself ?"

No, that's not how I see it. Maybe I empathise more with people I have something in common with

By *icecouple561Couple  over a year ago
Forum Mod

East Sussex

I tell you what frazzles my fizzog, service charge being added to the bill.

My hairdresser told me she finances her yearly holiday including spending money from her tips.

King's Crustacean

So it is about giving to people you see as less well off than yourself ? No, that's not how I see it. Maybe I empathise more with people I have something in common with"

So it's like .... you've been there and done that and so you think they are going through what you went through ?

By *oxy_minxWoman  over a year ago

Scotland - Aberdeen

No, I don't. I pay a delivery charge, I am not tipping on top of that!

I don't get tipped for doing my job!

King's Crustacean

"I tell you what frazzles my fizzog, service charge being added to the bill.

My hairdresser told me she finances her yearly holiday including spending money from her tips.

"

I won't go into places that add service charge.

That's what they are supposed to do. Cook your food and SERVE it..... that's why you pay £30 for a meal that'd cost buttons at home.....

Forum Mod

East Sussex

We were in France once in the Cognac McDonald's, an elderly couple were desperately trying to tip the staff who tried to explain they weren't allowed to accept it in vain

I always tip unless given a reason not to or I don't have any change. Half of the delivery drivers in London look like its their only income & these guys always arrive with a smile

"Supermarket checkout people ? Do they get tips ?"

Like I said earlier, I'm with you that's it is a bit unfair that not all similar jobs get them but I wouldn't stop doing it for those that do because everyone isn't getting it. I also support bringing in a living wage across the board, I'd rather see everyone get that but in the meantime I'm ok with boosting the wage of someone who's helped me out. I've benefitted from it and I return the gesture.

King's Crustacean

I'll have the penne con pesto plse.....

Oh yes madam the wallpaper paste tubes with crushed leaves on is £15.99 ..... a good choice if I may say so ...... and while im at it have I mentioned that im brassic... ?

By *atBottomGirlsWoman  over a year ago

St Austell-ish

So it is about giving to people you see as less well off than yourself ? No, that's not how I see it. Maybe I empathise more with people I have something in common with

So it's like .... you've been there and done that and so you think they are going through what you went through ?

"

Yes, and I'm also at a point in my life where a pound or two doesn't make much difference to me, but will to someone else.

Not that that amount will feed them and their family--but sure makes the shift a happier one for them.

King's Crustacean

"We were in France once in the Cognac McDonald's, an elderly couple were desperately trying to tip the staff who tried to explain they weren't allowed to accept it in vain "

It's a very cultural thing..... it's pretty much an insult in many asian countries including Japan ....

King's Crustacean

[Removed by poster at 05/03/20 20:37:10]

Always tip unless service/ food or whatever is bad, in that case would tell relevant person. Even if having stuff like tv or washing machine delivered normally bung them a tenner. Postie gets a card with a few quid in. Bin guys get a few Boxs of beers. That's how I roll cos I'm a baller.

By *heBirminghamWeekendMan  over a year ago

here

"I'll have the penne con pesto plse.....

Oh yes madam the wallpaper paste tubes with crushed leaves on is £15.99 ..... a good choice if I may say so ...... and while im at it have I mentioned that im brassic... ?"

Lol

King's Crustacean

"Always tip unless service/ food or whatever is bad, in that case would tell relevant person. Even if having stuff like tv or washing machine delivered normally bung them a tenner. Postie gets a card with a few quid in. Bin guys get a few Boxs of beers. That's how I roll cos I'm a baller.

"

You have a big house and an enormous stipend though

B38

So it is about giving to people you see as less well off than yourself ? No, that's not how I see it. Maybe I empathise more with people I have something in common with

"

I just appreciate a job well done, a friendly smile and no, not all will be struggling but I bet a good few will be. So every little helps and it's just a token gesture of thanks.

King's Crustacean

Yeah ........... so everyone gets to feel good. The poorly paid person that needs it and the person who gives them a few sheckles to ease their pain and plump the purse.... So it's win win ... sort of.

I must admit that when I was a postman, it was a great feeling to be tipped at xmas. Perked up those cold mornings and the mental busy period.

Forum Mod

East Sussex

One of our kids works in an industry where tipping is common, the other doesn't but their salary is similar and both provide a service.

"Always tip unless service/ food or whatever is bad, in that case would tell relevant person. Even if having stuff like tv or washing machine delivered normally bung them a tenner. Postie gets a card with a few quid in. Bin guys get a few Boxs of beers. That's how I roll cos I'm a baller.

You have a big house and an enormous stipend though "

I get guilt'ed into it really. I don't want people thinking look at that bellend and he can't even spare a few quid....

By *artyanna16200TV/TS  over a year ago

leeds

I think its probably dependant on the demographic of customers , the culture of tipping , is probably more common in cosmopolitan areas of big cities , lots of chic bars , waiter / waitress service , a request and delivery of a bill rather than pay at a till, i like to have some communication with the person serving my food , and i notice their behaviour , manner , and attitude, as they will observe mine . When abroad , its always a part of the experience of eating , here , it seems more regarded as an afterthought ! I dont expect it in my line of work , so when something occurs in which slmeone offers a personal reward , im quite surprised by the gesture . I think tippers will always tip but the whole culture of tipping is , like hitchhiking , or spontaneous engagement with strangers in public , is waning

"Yeah ........... so everyone gets to feel good. The poorly paid person that needs it and the person who gives them a few sheckles to ease their pain and plump the purse.... So it's win win ... sort of."

I honestly don't agree with that at all, in my experience the most common tippers are those of similar income level. I don't think the person doing the job necessarily needs it, it's just a bonus thanks for providing a service or making someone's day a bit nicer.

B38

"Yeah ........... so everyone gets to feel good. The poorly paid person that needs it and the person who gives them a few sheckles to ease their pain and plump the purse.... So it's win win ... sort of."

It doesn't make me feel 'good' when I tip Funny because I would feel bad/conscious if I didn't.

As I said for me it's a token of thanks.

King's Crustacean

[Removed by poster at 05/03/20 20:47:38]

King's Crustacean

I get guilt'ed into it really. I don't want people thinking look at that bellend and he can't even spare a few quid...."

I'll help anyone but keeping bosses wage bills down isn't my priority any more.

I get guilt'ed into it really. I don't want people thinking look at that bellend and he can't even spare a few quid....

I'll help anyone but keeping bosses wage bills down isn't my priority any more."

I hear you Granny.

B38

I'll help anyone but keeping bosses wage bills down isn't my priority any more.

I hear you Granny. "

I hear it too but for me in the meantime...thanks and have one yourself is how I roll.

By *artyanna16200TV/TS  over a year ago

leeds

Yes , but its a personal and intimate service , and as such , theres a level of baksheesh i think its called , or quid pro quo, You reward a good job from someone tinting and cutting your hair, because you place your trust in them, they also want you to keep comjng back , so they will be attentive , sympathetic, polite courteous. and , do their job well, the buck stops with them, the gp may be great but you have to negotiate the appt with the secretary , or be farmed out to the practise nurse, if the gp gives you bad news , your hardly likely to reward them but their professionalism in investigation and correct and timely treatment is only regarded as the minimum required for their practise, likewise , the train driver , if they fall below the minimum standard , having the money to tip is no longer a consideration, but the bar worker, the waiter/waitress, they all offer something personal to you , which is worth recognising , if you choose to do that with money , its welcome !

By *egs11ABCWoman  over a year ago

Aberdeen

I'm a taxi driver and iv noticed the more money people have the less they tip.

Hard working, working class people are better tippers and generally more polite too.

But iv also noticed people paying cash tip more than those paying by card x

By *luebell888Woman  over a year ago

Glasgowish

I help save lives and do not get tips.

I am not mean but seldom tip anyone as i dont have much and need my money. I always say thank you which should count as much as cash

King's Crustacean

"I help save lives and do not get tips.

I am not mean but seldom tip anyone as i dont have much and need my money. I always say thank you which should count as much as cash

"

If not more. I'd prefer a kind word.

I'm a waitress.

My wages cover my essential bills and everything else (food/gas/electricity/clothing/make up/household items etc etc etc) comes from any tips I make.

Some weeks I can work 40 hours plus, other weeks 20.

If it's quiet you're sent home early and that's that. You clock in, clock out and only get paid for the hours you work.

I exist on wages, but I live off of tips.

P

I’m a tipper.

I’m a drinks buyer.

I’m just generally generous, although I do appreciate that if I wasn’t quite so comfortable financially I probably wouldn’t be so generous.

Not rich, not by a long shot, just appreciate good service.

"I always tip the pizza guy. I work in an industry where tips are the norm. Women tend to tip less than men

Why would that be ?"

Dunno but we probably fly tip less too

I never really understand the etiquette around this so tend not too. I dont entirely trust that it would get to the person I wanted it too and they were allowed to keep it.

By *abasaurus RexMan  over a year ago

Gloucestershire

I don’t tip anywhere but restaurants with actually good service. But when it genuinely is good service I will tip well and make sure they know they did a good job.

Taking my order and bringing the food to the table and expecting a tip won’t cut it though. I always felt I’d done a bad job if anyone had to ask me for drinks, refill the bread etc, do everything as quickly as possible, inject a happy atmosphere if I could, so other people can to!

Gloucestershire

Plus, I think the tipping system is absurd. I’ve relied on tips in the past and it’s horrible as you’ve got no idea if it’s coming in or not.

I also think it encourages companies not to pay people a proper living wage in the first place.

By * and M lookingCouple  over a year ago

Worcester

"My friend recently started doing some delivery driving on the side and I was quite surprised when he told me more people don't tip than do. Unless the service is truly appalling (and still even sometimes then because I'm a bit of a mug!) I always tip takeaway/shopping delivery people, taxi drivers, hairdressers/beauticians, waiters and bar staff. About the only people I don't usually are couriers/Amazon/the postman but I give the regular ones something at Xmas.

When I worked in bars in my younger days the tips were amazing, often more than my wage and much appreciated.

Do you tip? Are you in a job that gets tips? Are people not doing it anymore?"

We always tip if we have enjoyed a nice meal.

We tip the bin men every 3 or 4 months as they always take all of our rubbish (we have lots)

Hairdressers, usually get a couple of pounds.

Our regular delivery drivers always get a tip at Xmas.

Other than that, no not really

Very rarely do I tip.

I always refuse to pay the service charges too.

I don't get tipped for doing my job

Why would I tip someone for doing what they are employed to do

I only tip restaurants generally. Any deliveries I pay for online so no cash is changing hands

"I don't get tipped for doing my job

Why would I tip someone for doing what they are employed to do "

Because sometimes people go above and beyond their job role and it's nice to show your appreciation.

A little like getting the teacher something at the end of the school year.

Nobody forces anyone too, but it's welcomed more than people realise.

P

By *UGGYBEAR2015Man  over a year ago

BRIDPORT

If someone has done their job I don’t tip them, but if someone has done more than they are required to do and gone that bit further just for my benefit then I like to show my appreciation, that may be in the form of a tip, or it maybe that I just make sure someone in management is made aware of their consciousness.

By *UGGYBEAR2015Man  over a year ago

BRIDPORT

*conscientiousness*

What would people who don't tip do splitting a bill with a group? I have friends who don't tip so I always pay their share of that too as, if someone's done well serving a big table all night, I'm mortified to go without leaving something decent.

By *hunky GentMan  over a year ago

Maldon and Peterborough

"What would people who don't tip do splitting a bill with a group? I have friends who don't tip so I always pay their share of that too as, if someone's done well serving a big table all night, I'm mortified to go without leaving something decent. "

I'd put a bit more in. X

Gloucestershire

"What would people who don't tip do splitting a bill with a group? I have friends who don't tip so I always pay their share of that too as, if someone's done well serving a big table all night, I'm mortified to go without leaving something decent. "

If the service was genuinely good I will leave them at least a tenner myself. I don’t go by the 10% thing either, I go by how good I feel the service actually was.

By *inky_couple2020Couple  over a year ago

North West

"My friend recently started doing some delivery driving on the side and I was quite surprised when he told me more people don't tip than do. Unless the service is truly appalling (and still even sometimes then because I'm a bit of a mug!) I always tip takeaway/shopping delivery people, taxi drivers, hairdressers/beauticians, waiters and bar staff. About the only people I don't usually are couriers/Amazon/the postman but I give the regular ones something at Xmas.

Do you tip? Are you in a job that gets tips? Are people not doing it anymore?"

Don't work in an industry where we directly handle money, so no tips, but I have received some beautiful gifts from students. So long as it goes in the bribery book and OK it with a manager, we can keep it. Swarovski Crystal bracelet was probably the most valuable, but the best gifts are things like the hand dyed silk scarf from Russia, accompanied with beautifully handwritten care instructions because the label was in Cyrillic. Also the food/drink we are gifted based on our likes/preferences that students have overheard or observed. I got an industrial quantity of Arabic coffee gifted for that reason. Absolutely love my job!

I don’t mind tipping those who deserve it for the service they provide.

I also have to point out that tipping is a weird concept too.

When people go into shops or markets, they haggle and tend to try and get a good catch or bargain. Some of these guys work and sell for a very small profit just to survive.

Then there are other industries like restaurants. Their cost are low but charge loads for their service yet we tip even if they over charge us.

I never bargain and I always tip those who deserve it.

wiltshire

wiltshire

Why would I tip someone for doing what they are employed to do "

Couldn't agree more

Because sometimes people go above and beyond their job role and it's nice to show your appreciation.

P"

I don't agree

Good customer service is what they are paid to do in the first place

I don't get the whole buying the teacher a gift at the end of the year

They are doing what they are paid to do

P

I don't agree

They are doing what they are paid to do "

Depends what you class as good customer service.

I've had workmen at my house. They're here to do a job which they're getting paid to do.

If they're seemingly nice people, are genuinely helpful and personable then I'll offer them a brew. That in itself is a way of tipping. It's not cash no, but I'M paying for the brew so it's a small gift as a token of appreciation.

If I can tell someone cares about me, my experience and wants to have a positive impact on my day then yes, it's nice to make a token gesture, even if it's leaving good feedback with their manager.

Maybe if more people did even that small thing, then managers and companies would realise staff are worth more than minimum poxy wage or even make token gestures themselves such as a bunch of flowers now n then, a shopping voucher, or something else who knows.

Yes, I get paid minimum wage to do a job.... I don't get paid to care, and care is something I do in abundance and believe me it shows.

P

By *aastyKnixWoman  over a year ago

Liverpool

Tip a taxi driver? Of course, everyone does that.

Tip a bus driver? Of course not, nobody does that.

Tip a waiter? Yes,obviously.

Tip the server in Macdonald's? What? Are you kidding?

Tip a hairdresser/beauty salon worker? Naturally, keep the change.

Tip a dentist/optician? What a weird idea.

It's a bit of a minefield really and,when you've figured out who to tip,you've still got to decide should it be 10%,15%,20%?

I once tipped a taxi driver 5p, he was an absolute c**t and I thought it sent more of a message than no tip at all.

When I was a teenager,I had a paper round ,£5 per week for doing 2 hours each morning and an hour in the evening and three times on a Saturday and Sunday morning, lots of mine were company’s on a large industrial estate , at Xmas I got over £ 160 in tips , this was the 80s so that was a massive amount of money , i do tip my barber and also taxi drivers if they are nice , but it can be embarrassing and awkward

King's Crustacean

P

I don't agree

They are doing what they are paid to do "

King's Crustacean

"Tip a taxi driver? Of course, everyone does that.

Tip a bus driver? Of course not, nobody does that.

Tip a waiter? Yes,obviously.

Tip the server in Macdonald's? What? Are you kidding?

Tip a hairdresser/beauty salon worker? Naturally, keep the change.

Tip a dentist/optician? What a weird idea.

It's a bit of a minefield really and,when you've figured out who to tip,you've still got to decide should it be 10%,15%,20%?

I once tipped a taxi driver 5p, he was an absolute c**t and I thought it sent more of a message than no tip at all."

Double Triple

King's Crustacean

"When I was a teenager,I had a paper round ,£5 per week for doing 2 hours each morning and an hour in the evening and three times on a Saturday and Sunday morning, lots of mine were company’s on a large industrial estate , at Xmas I got over £ 160 in tips , this was the 80s so that was a massive amount of money , i do tip my barber and also taxi drivers if they are nice , but it can be embarrassing and awkward "

If they are 'nice'? So it's a personality contest and not a matter or income or need ?

By *miableRogueMan  over a year ago

Liverpool

[Removed by poster at 08/03/20 11:27:04]

I tip. Always!

By *aastyKnixWoman  over a year ago

Liverpool

"I tip. Always!"

Do you tip a bus driver? Do you tip the person on the supermarket till?

A fair few years ago a car crashed outside my house. I ran out and started helping where I could.

A couple of days later the lady who's car got hit knocked my door with flowers and thanks.

It's the same thing, it's simply a show of appreciation.

Cash tips are a way of saying "get yourself a drink after work" "put that towards a take away" "you've gone above and beyond the call of duty, get yourself some flowers.... I personally think you deserve them"

It's just on a smaller scale than the lady bringing me flowers and on the spot.

P

North West

Re: the teacher thing above. None of us expect anything by the way. My line of work brings me into contact with students of very good means, so I'm not worried about the issues that happen in state schools and the gift giving is ridiculous and becomes competitive and exclusionary for many families. The best gifts I've had from students were not valuable in a monetary sense, they were personal and the student had sele them because they knew a little thing about me that the gift appealed to. Etc.

"Re: the teacher thing above. None of us expect anything by the way. My line of work brings me into contact with students of very good means, so I'm not worried about the issues that happen in state schools and the gift giving is ridiculous and becomes competitive and exclusionary for many families. The best gifts I've had from students were not valuable in a monetary sense, they were personal and the student had sele them because they knew a little thing about me that the gift appealed to. Etc. "

Indeed.

My lad got 1 teacher a gift when he left and it wasn't his main tutor. There was one there that really left a good impression on him and made his school life that bit brighter. They would talk about rock music, gigs, bands and football. My son got him a t-shirt with his fave band on.

Now, it didn't cost a fortune, but what that teacher brought to my sons education experience was priceless. He felt heard, felt like he mattered and felt a kinship and inclusion with this tutor. That meant so much to both of us and a t-shirt to say thank you, to remind him of the kid he made a difference to and hopefully spur him on to continue being "that" tutor... if it meant half as much to him as it did me and my boy then it was damn well worth it.

P

North West

"Re: the teacher thing above. None of us expect anything by the way. My line of work brings me into contact with students of very good means, so I'm not worried about the issues that happen in state schools and the gift giving is ridiculous and becomes competitive and exclusionary for many families. The best gifts I've had from students were not valuable in a monetary sense, they were personal and the student had sele them because they knew a little thing about me that the gift appealed to. Etc.

Indeed.

My lad got 1 teacher a gift when he left and it wasn't his main tutor. There was one there that really left a good impression on him and made his school life that bit brighter. They would talk about rock music, gigs, bands and football. My son got him a t-shirt with his fave band on.

Now, it didn't cost a fortune, but what that teacher brought to my sons education experience was priceless. He felt heard, felt like he mattered and felt a kinship and inclusion with this tutor. That meant so much to both of us and a t-shirt to say thank you, to remind him of the kid he made a difference to and hopefully spur him on to continue being "that" tutor... if it meant half as much to him as it did me and my boy then it was damn well worth it.

P"

This is why I do my job. Not for the tshirts, but for the knowledge that I've made a positive impression on a young person. The fact I have folks that I taught who are now 2nd year PhD students, who come and take me for coffee and send me Happy New Year messages from the other side of the world, is enough for me to know I'm appreciated.

By *amyourstonightWoman  over a year ago

next door

"Without fail . Even if it's only a couple of quid . And if I'm eating out and planning on paying by card I usually get a couple of quid out of the change jar before I leave . Dont like tipping on card as I expect they dont get it "

» Add a new message to this topic