FabSwingers.com

FabSwingers.com > Forums > The Lounge > Universal Credit - good or bad thing

Universal Credit - good or bad thing

Jump to: Newest in thread

By *essie. OP   Woman  over a year ago

Serendipity

It seems to be a strange system, in allowing claimants to take advances that are in effect a loan. Then it gives them sanctions so they end up in a cycle of struggling to live on it.

It’s so complex if your working hours and salary don’t stay consistent.

And it’s all online and this really isn’t easy to navigate for lots of people.

Reply privately, Reply in forum +quote or View forums list

By *om and JennieCouple  over a year ago

Chams or Socials

My cousin ended up in a right mess because she covered extra shifts over Christmas 2018 taking her over the monthly limit. I’m not sure how it all works but know she ended up in arrears in her privately rented property & is now in a housing association property. She was devastated as she’d always stood in her own 2 feet as best she could with 3 children (2 with medical conditions). I don’t think it’s very user friendly. In theory, those that are claiming shouldn’t have instant access to the internet as it’s only intended to cover basic needs? In which case how are supposed to claim & update info etc...? Unless going to a library?

J x

By *ig1gaz1Man  over a year ago

bradford

From the people on my website asking for help in there situation its a bad thing.

The amount of people that havent read what they are having to do on them is a bad thing.

many dont even know whats been recorded or expected from them.

Cancelation of the jobseekers cc also affects there uc home payment can leave many in debt.

Even though some are illegal claims they can still have payments stopped due to an adviser having all the power.

bradford

"It seems to be a strange system, in allowing claimants to take advances that are in effect a loan. Then it gives them sanctions so they end up in a cycle of struggling to live on it.

"

there is a warning gone out for people using online

To take a copy of there payments often

as dwp have been found out to edit

Many people receive incorrect Universal Credit payments as a result of Department for Work and Pensions (DWP) maladministration. it can be difficult to identify maladministration when the DWP retrospectively correct their errors on peoples’ Universal Credit journals

By *rightonsteveMan  over a year ago

Brighton - even Hove!

A system designed to keep vulnerable people poor, stressed out and suicidal.

By (user no longer on site)  over a year ago

A work colleague is in receipt of UC.

She is being told to look & Prove she is actively looking for a better paid job otherwise she will be sanctioned

By *wisted999Man  over a year ago

North Bucks

Not something I know much about. But sounds over complicated and undignified.

I was speaking to a friend about I the other day and from what he said it sounds like a better system than the old, as he was saying it works out what you're owed based on what you earn month month, instead of estimating what you might earn in advance and paying out based on that. Maybe he's a lucky one, but it seems you get what you should get. Plus it harder to foul than the old system.

"A work colleague is in receipt of UC.

She is being told to look & Prove she is actively looking for a better paid job otherwise she will be sanctioned "

It’s the same when it was Job Seekers Allowance. They’d give sanctions for the slightest thing. I worked for the DWP for 8 years and had to to JSA interviews and I used to feel terrible having to stop peoples money.

"It seems to be a strange system, in allowing claimants to take advances that are in effect a loan. Then it gives them sanctions so they end up in a cycle of struggling to live on it.

"

its not even easy when your on o hour contract either. I may have to go on soon myself just to pay the rent

Some people shouldnt really write/speak about things they dont understand or know much about.

Theres generally alot of rubbish posted in these forums but this one takes the biscuit.

She is being told to look & Prove she is actively looking for a better paid job otherwise she will be sanctioned

It’s the same when it was Job Seekers Allowance. They’d give sanctions for the slightest thing. I worked for the DWP for 8 years and had to to JSA interviews and I used to feel terrible having to stop peoples money. "

she's employed on a 30 hr a week contract but they insist she needs a better paid job

bradford

"It’s the same when it was Job Seekers Allowance. They’d give sanctions for the slightest thing. I worked for the DWP for 8 years and had to to JSA interviews and I used to feel terrible having to stop peoples money. "

As we was told by another dwp worker if the client didnt follow there agreed jsa jobsearch they was left with no alternative you only sanctioned the jobsearch

uc sanctions the housing element which can make you homeless

bradford

"she's employed on a 30 hr a week contract but they insist she needs a better paid job"

she will have been advised to ask the boss for more hrs.

find an alternative job to cover the national minimum 40hrs work.

basically anything that will equal what everyone else has to do, if they are in full time work.

By *uenevereWoman  over a year ago

Scunthorpe

I bloody hate Universal Credit. It seems designed to make it as hard as possible to claim and then to try to think of a reason not to pay.

I work with a lot of low income people and it's a nightmare

By *uenevereWoman  over a year ago

Scunthorpe

"I was speaking to a friend about I the other day and from what he said it sounds like a better system than the old, as he was saying it works out what you're owed based on what you earn month month, instead of estimating what you might earn in advance and paying out based on that. Maybe he's a lucky one, but it seems you get what you should get. Plus it harder to foul than the old system. "

In theory, it would be great. However, it assumes that everyone was previously paid monthly, is literate, computer literate with easy access to the internet and can wait 6 weeks to be paid.

A similar system existed until the late 80s called Supplementary Benefit, it was scrapped because it didn't work

"

It’s shit but to some one who needs it it’s a life line

By *uryWhipMan  over a year ago

Harringay

I only signed on to it recently and planning to be off it soon as possible. Was reading up on the advance loans but doesnt seem worth it. I had to move all my direct debits to when the first payment is due next month. Thats something that bothered me, 5 week wait for the first payment. Dont remember it being that long on JSA. Had an interview today that went well so hopefully I'll get through the second stage. They're already offering me a different position than I interviewed for, and that was for a different position than I initially applied for.

bradford

dont forget its means tested both ways on the month

you can end up out of pocket on your rent and owing on your rent so beaware of it.

The system is so bad a lot are doing food banks due to it. The money they get does not even cover your rent council tax. Electricity bills etc

By *itonmyfacebookMan  over a year ago

Burton on Trent

She is being told to look & Prove she is actively looking for a better paid job otherwise she will be sanctioned "

If she's got a smartphone subscribe to websites like totaljobs and CV library and then she'll get lots of emails with jobs on. Yes, most of them are crap, zero hours agency work but it's evidence that she's looking.

The other trick is just post any job on your journal as most dwp staff don't even check em

By *etLikeMan  over a year ago

most fundamental aspects

"The system is so bad a lot are doing food banks due to it. The money they get does not even cover your rent council tax. Electricity bills etc"

It does not cover Council Tax. That has to be claimed separately through your local council. Council Tax Reduction (as opposed to council tax benefit stopped in 2013) covers only the council part; leaving the water and sewerage costs still to pay.

UC has good and bad (mostly bad) aspects but some may actually be better off on it. This is usually those who are working and have children. There are online calculators where you can compare benefits you are on with UC. But make sure you double check your figures, as if you chose to move onto UC, you cannot move back to the old (legacy) benefits

By *candiumWoman  over a year ago

oban

The theory was got but it got screwed over in the implementation.

That being said I find UC much easier to claim, so far, than JSA was.

Bad

By *ty31Man  over a year ago

NW London

Probably a good idea in theory but botched in implementation

By *carlett AllureWoman  over a year ago

Cardiff

In my experience and I know I’m a minority of lucky ones, it’s been amazing for me. Monthy pay date is away from my assessment period so no risk of over laps, while I work well over my required hours I always work out how much will be deducted and my wages cover my bills so UC is only extra to play with. I also don’t get the housing element as I’m not renting which is where I find it screws most people over.

By *aeganaWoman  over a year ago

birmingham

Its horrid my stepdad got put on it after being layed off and if it wasnt for family he would have lost his home and starved its hell. There payin him finally but its just enough for his rent nothing left over for food or heating it isnt right at all x

bradford

"Its horrid my stepdad got put on it after being layed off and if it wasnt for family he would have lost his home and starved its hell. There payin him finally but its just enough for his rent nothing left over for food or heating it isnt right at all x"

UC is not meant for food or heating as its more on the lines for just your rent side of payment.

There jsag cc payment is how you spend it and what on.

Its the long wait until they get the first payment is the killer.

By *irky_coupleCouple  over a year ago

kirky

It's a lot of bolloks doesn't work putting people in financial hardship and debt need to provide evidence to prove paid for childcare before getting any assistance the list goes on

Not everyone has access to internet and people lose out on preniums

By *etLikeMan  over a year ago

most fundamental aspects

"Its horrid my stepdad got put on it after being layed off and if it wasnt for family he would have lost his home and starved its hell. There payin him finally but its just enough for his rent nothing left over for food or heating it isnt right at all x

UC is not meant for food or heating as its more on the lines for just your rent side of payment.

There jsag cc payment is how you spend it and what on.

Its the long wait until they get the first payment is the killer."

No you’re wrong and whilst I’m no fan of the effects UC has had on people, misinformation about it is even worse.

It is not just for rent, otherwise it would still be called Housing Benefit or Local Housing Allowance. It is ONE payment which is broken down into what they call elements:

First part is for you (which is where you’re supposed to be able to pay for heating etc)

Then if applicable:

Housing element

Children

Childcare

Carer

Sickness or disability (previously Employment and Support Allowance)

They then take into account any earnings, repayment of the advance, and any overpayments of past benefits.

If someone is concerned about heating, there are extra benefits that can help.

Yes it can be complicated so if anyone is unsure, please do contact your local Citizens Advice. That’s what they are there for. They are free and have people trained to help you. In most parts of the country, they even have dedicated phone and webchat to help you if you are on or about to go onto Universal Credit.

I'd encourage people to check their eligibility before making a claim and "ensure that tax credit claimants understand that when they have claimed UC, their tax credits will end, and they cannot return to legacy benefits.

Do a check before you claim as you will find once you make the claim even if 'unsuccessful' a notification is automatically sent through as a stop notice to cancel your tax credit awards, even though you may not complete the claim when you realised you would not be successful.

Seek advice first and do an online calculator before.

I watched a programme on this awhile back and you are never going to get a perfect system. Ideally rolling everything into one seemed like a good idea until you saw the cost!

On the programme I watched, I felt sorry for the girl with 0 hours contract who didn't have a steady flow of income and had to rely on top ups even though she was willing to work. I couldn't imagine the struggle of not having a reliable income.

Then you get the typical lazy ones who have no intention of bettering their lives and took the loans to buy top of the range trainers

I think all 0 hours contracts should be banned.

But I can't see how the UC system could be fixed because everyones lives are so complicated and there is no 1 fits all.

"I watched a programme on this awhile back and you are never going to get a perfect system. Ideally rolling everything into one seemed like a good idea until you saw the cost!

On the programme I watched, I felt sorry for the girl with 0 hours contract who didn't have a steady flow of income and had to rely on top ups even though she was willing to work. I couldn't imagine the struggle of not having a reliable income.

Then you get the typical lazy ones who have no intention of bettering their lives and took the loans to buy top of the range trainers

I think all 0 hours contracts should be banned.

But I can't see how the UC system could be fixed because everyones lives are so complicated and there is no 1 fits all. "

The government has tried to get everyone across onto UC stating it was a simpler system to replace all the other one in to one. This is how they have managed it now.

Instead of setting up a system to deal with current hardship and then stop it as and when it ends they've convinced people to go into the UC system on a false pretence that it was just for this hardship time wouldn't effect then afterwards.

Sly.

I had a close friend driven to the brink of suicide over this.

I'm not kidding. The state she ended up in as a single mother was heartbreaking. They ended up in temporary homeless accommodation, living out of a food bank miles away from friends & family.

It's a cruel system, I pray we never end up needing help from the government.

By *ophieslutTV/TS  over a year ago

Central

It's a very badly designed system that aims to penalise vulnerable people. People who claimed it before the lockdown are still being paid less than newer claimants, which is wrong too.

The loans should largely have been grants, to ease people in hard circumstances in to tough circumstances. It reveals the extent of the contempt this government has for ordinary people.

By *candiumWoman  over a year ago

oban

I'm on universal credit and I find it relatively easy to use...it's slightly painful at the moment as I can't call them or speak to anyone, but it's been pretty seamless for me. That being said I was made redundant so I had money to live on before 1st payment which makes a big difference. Also most months the money I get doesn't even cover my housing costs.

I guess I think they system and idea are good but the amounts entitled to are shockingly low.

» Add a new message to this topic