FabSwingers.com

FabSwingers.com > Forums > The Lounge > Forum running club week 8

Forum running club week 8

Jump to: Newest in thread

By *ikeC81 OP   Man  over a year ago

harrow

Forum Running cub week 8....

It doesn’t matter if you are a marathon runner, a weekly park runner or if you haven’t started yet but you would like to try running. This is the forum for you!!!!!

Reply privately, Reply in forum +quote or View forums list

By (user no longer on site)  over a year ago

Im a park runner at best

harrow

"Im a park runner at best"

That’s fine!!! I am a park runner (I suppose I have to say that now I have done my 10th one)

I do a little bit of running elsewhere but not that much

I'm more of a jogger lol

I'm managing to pick up distance but struggling to pick up speed.

"Im a park runner at best

That’s fine!!! I am a park runner (I suppose I have to say that now I have done my 10th one)

I do a little bit of running elsewhere but not that much

"

Was my 22nd yesterday who would of thought it this time last year had only done 1

"I'm more of a jogger lol

I'm managing to pick up distance but struggling to pick up speed."

Hey thsts good x

harrow

For me, yesterday I struggled bit of a cold, but with speed I have been told you can work on speed by doing speed sessions

For distance I can do about 6.5km before I get tied

Finished my tenth Park run yesterday in the wind and rain, with a personal best time.

harrow

"Finished my tenth Park run yesterday in the wind and rain, with a personal best time. "

Nice one - I normally do flat courses so I done a course with a few inclines so it was good to do something a bit more challenging. I was a min off my pb but tbh I wasn’t going for it

Actually was going for anything sub32 and ended up sub30

For me, yesterday I struggled bit of a cold, but with speed I have been told you can work on speed by doing speed sessions

For distance I can do about 6.5km before I get tied "

6.5km is good. For me the worse is the first or second mile. After then I start to settle down and feel comfortable.

By *ussD1Man  over a year ago

Gloucester

Weather does not seem to be the nightmare the forecasters were predicting. Off out for a 7 mile jog with a mate this morning. Wish me luck.

"Weather does not seem to be the nightmare the forecasters were predicting. Off out for a 7 mile jog with a mate this morning. Wish me luck. "

Good luck and have fun

"Finished my tenth Park run yesterday in the wind and rain, with a personal best time.

Nice one - I normally do flat courses so I done a course with a few inclines so it was good to do something a bit more challenging. I was a min off my pb but tbh I wasn’t going for it

Actually was going for anything sub32 and ended up sub30"

The course yesterday was flat. Our local one is a little bit hilly, but it's too wet at the moment

I ended up with 33 yesterday

By *nmgCouple  over a year ago

Liverpool

Haven't been able.to get.out since August with 1 thing or another, but managed to get out 3 times last week so I'm feeling rather happy with myself!

Haven't half lost some fitness though!

"Haven't been able.to get.out since August with 1 thing or another, but managed to get out 3 times last week so I'm feeling rather happy with myself!

Haven't half lost some fitness though!"

Oh god i know, i did a 5 mile xmas run and didnt do much after that, then in January it hit me

Gloucester

"Weather does not seem to be the nightmare the forecasters were predicting. Off out for a 7 mile jog with a mate this morning. Wish me luck.

Good luck and have fun"

Thank you.

By *reya73Woman  over a year ago

Whitley Bay

I'm off for a run today. Mystery distance. Let's see. I'm on concrete though until I get to the beach, which I don't like. Car failed MOT so I can't get to the woods boo!

Looking for tips on improving my core for more challenging trail running if any one has ideas? How can I quickly strengthen?

Gloucester

"I'm off for a run today. Mystery distance. Let's see. I'm on concrete though until I get to the beach, which I don't like. Car failed MOT so I can't get to the woods boo!

Looking for tips on improving my core for more challenging trail running if any one has ideas? How can I quickly strengthen?

"

Yoga or similar like Pilates etc. Trail running I benefited from hiking over trail upping the distance. Starts to strengthen ankles and calves.

Good luck. Love trail running lots of it here in the Cotswolds.

By *iss KissWoman  over a year ago

near Coventry

How weird to spot this I've started running last week.

I can't go up the stairs quick without getting slightly breathy. So i am doing couch to 5k. I'm on week 2. The recent storms have been off putting, but hey ho. I've lost 3lb which is nice. But when will i stop feeling so out of breath???? I can't imagine running for a second longer than i am doing. 5k seems impossible.

"How weird to spot this I've started running last week.

I can't go up the stairs quick without getting slightly breathy. So i am doing couch to 5k. I'm on week 2. The recent storms have been off putting, but hey ho. I've lost 3lb which is nice. But when will i stop feeling so out of breath???? I can't imagine running for a second longer than i am doing. 5k seems impossible. "

Hey good luck, you will get there, i thought 5k was impossible too but you will see soon enough

Liverpool

"I'm off for a run today. Mystery distance. Let's see. I'm on concrete though until I get to the beach, which I don't like. Car failed MOT so I can't get to the woods boo!

"

Have you tried a wobble board??

I've just started back ... but this weather is killing it! Will keep going

I can't go up the stairs quick without getting slightly breathy. So i am doing couch to 5k. I'm on week 2. The recent storms have been off putting, but hey ho. I've lost 3lb which is nice. But when will i stop feeling so out of breath???? I can't imagine running for a second longer than i am doing. 5k seems impossible. "

Don't worry about it, even seasoned runners can't go up the stairs without feeling breathy, it's uses a totally different muscle group to get up the stairs.

Gloucester

Just keep doing the Cto5k it does get better. I was the same but just kept going. Your fitness will increase at your own pace. Go for it

Best way to pick up speed is to do some speedwork. A simple method is this: after a suitable warm up e.g. 2km pick a spot ahead of you like a lamp post and sprint up to it, then jog slowly to recover and then pick another spot to sprint up to. Do this sort of workout about 2ce a week gradually upping the number of reps and you'll notice you'll start getting faster.

Also squats and pylometrics in the gym help to build up the muscles for explosive force in your legs.

Parkrun 101 yesterday. It was a rad windy and a bit muddy in places but all good fun.

Was supposed to be at a duathlon today but cancelled like most events. Toying up between 2 hours on the treadmill or 2 hours in storm Dennis, neither overly appeal but needs must!

Liverpool

Having a test day today, but reading these posts are really getting me back into the groove!!

Looking forward to getting out tomorrow night

harrow

It does get a lot easier!!!! After 9 months away from any excersie last year I restarted in sept. First at 2 and 3 km amounts. This amount I done slowly working my way up to 4km.

Then in December a swinging friend invited me to do a park run with him. I have known him for years so didn’t feel bad or embarrassed. I struggled at first for 5km, more to do with recovery and having to stop for breath twice on the way around.

Now I know I can do a 5km, it is still challenging don’t get me wrong but don’t need to stop, can do non flat courses in a sub30 min time, and that is with a cold

By *uckOfTheBayMan  over a year ago

Mold

Down with family in London this weekend, and Hampstead Heath is calling me this morning

Going to be wet and windy out there, but who cares

"Down with family in London this weekend, and Hampstead Heath is calling me this morning

Going to be wet and windy out there, but who cares "

Enjoy! Its lovely up there!

I was in the exact same position and mind set as you 6/7 month ago. Honestly couldn't run half mile without feeling out of breath and having to stop.... Learning to control your breathing will play a huge part in overall performance. When you get to that point of feeling breathless and starting to sweat, talk to yourself, tell yourself to push through it. That's what I do after a few moments your breathing will settle down... Also helps if you have a friend who runs that will help encourage you when you're feeling like throwing the towel in.

Keep us posted with your progress

near Coventry

Thanks for all the encouragement people. I will keep you posted.

"Finished my tenth Park run yesterday in the wind and rain, with a personal best time.

The course yesterday was flat. Our local one is a little bit hilly, but it's too wet at the moment "

We are lucky for a good choice of events round here but I think they are all various degrees of muddy at the moment. Other than Stevenage which I've never liked because of the ridiculous start and finish!

"Thanks for all the encouragement people. I will keep you posted.

"

It might also be worth getting checked for asthma. I'm asthmatic and it never effects me on a day to day basis but can cause me real problems running

By *uckOfTheBayMan  over a year ago

Mold

"Down with family in London this weekend, and Hampstead Heath is calling me this morning

Going to be wet and windy out there, but who cares

Enjoy! Its lovely up there!"

Don't know about lovely, but I'm glad to be back in the warm and dry, and had a hot shower

Needed my trail shoes out there in those conditions

The course yesterday was flat. Our local one is a little bit hilly, but it's too wet at the moment

We are lucky for a good choice of events round here but I think they are all various degrees of muddy at the moment. Other than Stevenage which I've never liked because of the ridiculous start and finish!"

I'm doing Stevenage at the moment due to the weather, but I get what you mean. Letchworth if horrendous at the moment.

By *ne4meMan  over a year ago

London

Managed a good 10 mile run out yesterday at my expected marathon pace and walked back 9 miles to get used to time moving albeit not all running but suffering a bit now on recovery Sunday

We are lucky for a good choice of events round here but I think they are all various degrees of muddy at the moment. Other than Stevenage which I've never liked because of the ridiculous start and finish!

I'm doing Stevenage at the moment due to the weather, but I get what you mean. Letchworth if horrendous at the moment. "

Yes I suspect carnage corner is fun!! My favourite is Panshanger but it's one of my regular routes so I rarely do the parkrun and I suspect parts of that is horrendous at the moment! Ellenbrook is good too in this weather, more puddles than mud!

By *reya73Woman  over a year ago

Whitley Bay

Have you tried a wobble board??"

I have one! Thanks for reminding me. My kids are fighting me for it

Liverpool

I have one! Thanks for reminding me. My kids are fighting me for it "

Lol!

Thanks for inspiring me.... I LOVE trail running but haven't done any since July. I'd actually forgotten how much I enjoy it - now getting ready to get muddy next week!!

By *ittyandtheboyCouple  over a year ago

Back of the bins.

The Boy is on day 47 of his running streak!

Mapped out what I thought would be a mud-free 12 miler yesterday. Ended up more covered in mud than I normal do. I'm not a fan of road running, so it looks like a fair few weeks of mud to put up with still - and soggy trainers.

Well done to everyone running over the last week or so. Weather has been awful.

Just over 100 parkrun’s for me, plenty of half marathons and a few marathons.

Off for some parkrun tourism over the next few weeks.

Stay safe!

harrow

Off to a london Park run that I have not been to before with a new printer tshirt with my park run barcode on ya ha ha ha - lol it won’t work but it’s funny can’t wait

By *ocbigMan  over a year ago

Birmingham

You are a runner...

By *ocbigMan  over a year ago

Birmingham

I have one! Thanks for reminding me. My kids are fighting me for it

Core strength...over rated in my opinion...but worth putting work in..anytime you are standing, stand on one leg, plank whilst watching telly...a little & often

Lol!

Thanks for inspiring me.... I LOVE trail running but haven't done any since July. I'd actually forgotten how much I enjoy it - now getting ready to get muddy next week!!"

By *W ChapMan  over a year ago

Swindon

You are a runner..."

Very much this. Running is about getting out there, pace and distance are unimportant.

By *angOnBunnyCouple  over a year ago

Ipswich

Park runners here too. Struggle on distance, but signed up for a half marathon to give something to aim and train for

Park runs ,10k, triathlons here

By *andy2123Couple  over a year ago

Portsmouth

We start power walking in the new year, its amazing how we feel now, much fitter and lost weight as well, which is to us is great xx

By *omesticflightMan  over a year ago

Burton-on-Trent

[Removed by poster at 21/02/20 10:12:43]

By *omesticflightMan  over a year ago

Burton-on-Trent

Monday I did a 5k with a mikkeler running club attached to a pub near me for the first time. Came in third, ha!

Tuesday, spontaneous 7.7 mile tab with a 30lb backpack.

Might go gym and a run now

By *axwell VelourMan  over a year ago

High Wycombe

I'm an independent amateur runner, I try to run at least twice a week although our current weather doesn't make it easy. However reading everyone's post definitely helps with motivation. Hoping to give park run a go soon as well.

harrow

Just completed my park run this morning 1 second quicker than last week not so bad for someone who has been recovering from flu all week!!! So not been able to get any training in - also it was a slightly different course

I turned my alarm off and went back to sleep today rather than parkrun!! Amd have agreed to help at a local half tomorrow morning so will need to get my arse in gear tomorrow afternoon

By *oiluvfunMan  over a year ago

Penrith

Did my local Parkrun this morning, was a full minute slower than my usual time due to the driving wind and horizontal hailstorm! The course was altered too, due to the river flooded across the bottom quarter lol. No day for a pb, survival was the word! Finished 71 out of 278 runners

By *den-Valley-coupleCouple  over a year ago

Cumbria

Hi a personal goal this week 3 miles/5k under 20minutes

harrow

"Just completed my park run this morning 1 second quicker than last week not so bad for someone who has been recovering from flu all week!!! So not been able to get any training in - also it was a slightly different course "

215/410 for me - can’t complain about that. Wished it was little quicker.

By *oiluvfunMan  over a year ago

Penrith

"Just completed my park run this morning 1 second quicker than last week not so bad for someone who has been recovering from flu all week!!! So not been able to get any training in - also it was a slightly different course

215/410 for me - can’t complain about that. Wished it was little quicker."

Whatever time you get fella, it’s always quicker than the sofa

By *ingofswing01Man  over a year ago

brighton

Brighton half marathon tomorrow

Should be interesting weather for it

Gloucester

Good luck to all who are running races tomorrow. I’m just off for a 10k around Glos city.

harrow

New thread on forum

near Coventry

So i ran for 20 mins non stop. My longest run yet. My next run is 25 mins. I feel like i can't do it. Even though it's only 5 minutes more. My 20 mins was soooo hard for me. I almost gave up a couple of minutes from the end.

I need some encouragement please.

"So i ran for 20 mins non stop. My longest run yet. My next run is 25 mins. I feel like i can't do it. Even though it's only 5 minutes more. My 20 mins was soooo hard for me. I almost gave up a couple of minutes from the end.

"

Round if applause, keep getting out there as much as you can, especially in this climate and progress at your own speed etc , you will get there x

near Coventry

[Removed by poster at 19/03/20 18:47:47]

near Coventry

"So i ran for 20 mins non stop. My longest run yet. My next run is 25 mins. I feel like i can't do it. Even though it's only 5 minutes more. My 20 mins was soooo hard for me. I almost gave up a couple of minutes from the end.

Round if applause, keep getting out there as much as you can, especially in this climate and progress at your own speed etc , you will get there x"

Thanks for that.

I did it!

X

Round if applause, keep getting out there as much as you can, especially in this climate and progress at your own speed etc , you will get there x

Thanks for that.

I did it!

X"

Absolutely my pleasure x

Gloucester

"

Nice one. Keep going it’s so worth keeping up the effort.

» Add a new message to this topic