FabSwingers.com

FabSwingers.com > Forums > The Lounge > Tesco Van Hits Cyclist

Tesco Van Hits Cyclist

Jump to: Newest in thread

By *ssex_tom OP   Man  over a year ago

Chelmsford

There is a video of a Tesco van taking out a cyclist on the Daily Mail on line website. No doubt in my mind the van should not have turned if the cyclist was in his mirrors but was the cyclist undertaking..

Reply privately (closed, thread got too big)

By *abioMan  over a year ago

Newcastle and Gateshead

did "every little bit hurt".....

i'll grab me coat.........

Chelmsford

"did "every little bit hurt".....

i'll grab me coat........."

Fabio.. I tried the vegan whopper like you said..like it

Poor cyclist

By *ersnickety PantsWoman  over a year ago

Club Meets Only

I wonder if they will stand by "every little helps" when they end up paying out compo

By (user no longer on site)  over a year ago

To my mind he was undertaking the van which was keeping away from blue cycle path until turning..Either way the cyclist should have been cycling defensively because for his own safety..

By *arry247Couple  over a year ago

Wakefield

"There is a video of a Tesco van taking out a cyclist on the Daily Mail on line website. No doubt in my mind the van should not have turned if the cyclist was in his mirrors but was the cyclist undertaking.. "

No watch the full video, the Tesco van overtook the cyclist then turned left immediately. He should have slowed whilst signaling left, allowed the cyclist to pass the left turn then turned left

By *ebjonnsonMan  over a year ago

Maldon

Is he alright?

By *heBirminghamWeekendMan  over a year ago

here

"Is he alright? "

Driver will be shaken up I’m sure, but will be ok in time

"Is he alright?

Driver will be shaken up I’m sure, but will be ok in time "

Oh good. Sending him positive vibes

By *isaB45Woman  over a year ago

Fabville

"Is he alright?

Driver will be shaken up I’m sure, but will be ok in time "

I'm hoping you meant the cyclist...

Fabville

"There is a video of a Tesco van taking out a cyclist on the Daily Mail on line website. No doubt in my mind the van should not have turned if the cyclist was in his mirrors but was the cyclist undertaking..

No watch the full video, the Tesco van overtook the cyclist then turned left immediately. He should have slowed whilst signaling left, allowed the cyclist to pass the left turn then turned left"

The full video is on Twitter, and makes shocking viewing.

The van driver was clearly at fault.

By *ocbigMan  over a year ago

Birmingham

So I am not the only one who (apparently) achieves invisibility after being overtaken & there being a left turn coming up...

here

"Is he alright?

I'm hoping you meant the cyclist... "

Hope they are both ok

By *isaAndNicoleTransTV/TS  over a year ago

Southport / Ellesmere Port

The driver hasn't actually been formally identified. Although the "driver" has been fined £300 and 6 points for "refusing to disclose the driver". Its all a bit of a joke and it seems that Tesco have tried their best to avoid providing any assistance to the police to avoid insurance issues. Its all a bit of a joke to be honest and not in a funny haha way.

The poor cyclist is lucky not to have lost a leg or worse.

here

"The driver hasn't actually been formally identified. Although the "driver" has been fined £300 and 6 points for "refusing to disclose the driver". Its all a bit of a joke and it seems that Tesco have tried their best to avoid providing any assistance to the police to avoid insurance issues. Its all a bit of a joke to be honest and not in a funny haha way.

The poor cyclist is lucky not to have lost a leg or worse. "

Will maybe think twice the next time they are going to undertake

"The driver hasn't actually been formally identified. Although the "driver" has been fined £300 and 6 points for "refusing to disclose the driver". Its all a bit of a joke and it seems that Tesco have tried their best to avoid providing any assistance to the police to avoid insurance issues. Its all a bit of a joke to be honest and not in a funny haha way.

Will maybe think twice the next time they are going to undertake "

Who undertook?

Maldon

"Is he alright?

I'm hoping you meant the cyclist... "

Indeed I do

By *ame-room-no-swapCouple  over a year ago

Taunton

Will maybe think twice the next time they are going to undertake "

0/10 stale bait

"There is a video of a Tesco van taking out a cyclist on the Daily Mail on line website. No doubt in my mind the van should not have turned if the cyclist was in his mirrors but was the cyclist undertaking.. "
its food for thought anyways

here

"There is a video of a Tesco van taking out a cyclist on the Daily Mail on line website. No doubt in my mind the van should not have turned if the cyclist was in his mirrors but was the cyclist undertaking.. its food for thought anyways "

Agree

By *elshkinkyMan  over a year ago

south wales

Undertaking is not illegal but clearly unsafe. But before you turn left not checking your mirrors first can see deemed driving without due care and attention

By *ame-room-no-swapCouple  over a year ago

Taunton

"Undertaking is not illegal but clearly unsafe. But before you turn left not checking your mirrors first can see deemed driving without due care and attention "

If you were on the motorway and someone passed you, got about 2 feet ahead of you and then braked and swerved back into your lane, whilst you continued at a constant speed, you'd be a bit pissed off, I'd say.

I think some of these people commenting and blaming the cyclist haven't actually watched the video.

The whole video makes it clear that the driver is 100% at fault. They started to overtake, pulled level and then turned left while the cyclist was in their blindspot.

The fact that the driver of a clearly identified commercial vehicle has not been identified is shocking

"I think some of these people commenting and blaming the cyclist haven't actually watched the video. "

Or just seen the shortened clip showing the collision not the lead up.

Chelmsford

I wonder if the reason it looks like the cyclist was undertaking was because the van driver was braking hard..

"I think some of these people commenting and blaming the cyclist haven't actually watched the video.

Or just seen the shortened clip showing the collision not the lead up. "

Ah, didn't know there was a short clip. The longer version definitely gives a true perspective of what happened.

By *orny IrishMan  over a year ago

Rural Wiltshire

"To my mind he was undertaking the van which was keeping away from blue cycle path until turning..Either way the cyclist should have been cycling defensively because for his own safety.."

Really how did you get that from watching the video?

The van overtook the cyclist and then turned in on him. He has also not admitted to driving even though his is on video so the CPS could not prosecute for the correct offence.

Its disgusting. Also why should it be the cyclist who is responsible and cycle defensively. Defensively would involve taking the lane and moving to position 1 in the middle of the lane.

Cant stand road cyclists, but this was the drivers fault. No way did he think he was far enough in front of the cyclist to have time to turn left.

The cyclist wasnt undertaking, how could he? He van hadn't fully overtook him yet

"Cant stand road cyclists, but this was the drivers fault. No way did he think he was far enough in front of the cyclist to have time to turn left.

The cyclist wasnt undertaking, how could he? He van hadn't fully overtook him yet"

broad statement "I cant stand road cyclists".

By *lem-H-FandangoMan  over a year ago

salisbury

Delivery drivers are not known for their intellect.

Rural Wiltshire

https://youtu.be/cwESJvi1qvk

"Delivery drivers are not known for their intellect. "

A lot of delivery drivers, especially the supermarket ones, are penalised for not hitting their time slots so they end up driving around like lunatics which is possibly what happened here.

here

"I think some of these people commenting and blaming the cyclist haven't actually watched the video.

Ah, didn't know there was a short clip. The longer version definitely gives a true perspective of what happened. "

Fault on both sides

These situations are never clear cut

Not a speculative comment - made from own experience of similar situation

"Delivery drivers are not known for their intellect.

A lot of delivery drivers, especially the supermarket ones, are penalised for not hitting their time slots so they end up driving around like lunatics which is possibly what happened here. "

its one thing hitting their slots but hitting their customers is another

Chelmsford

To be fair they have one eye on the road and one looking out for the customers road..

I would not do it..

Van driver at fault in my opinion but not seen the longer video that Lisa Belle refers to

Ah, didn't know there was a short clip. The longer version definitely gives a true perspective of what happened.

Fault on both sides

Not a speculative comment - made from own experience of similar situation "

How is the cyclist at fault?

Chelmsford

A lot of delivery drivers, especially the supermarket ones, are penalised for not hitting their time slots so they end up driving around like lunatics which is possibly what happened here. "

And parcel couriers.. they hardly wait for someone to answer before they dump the parcel and are off

To be fair they have one eye on the road and one looking out for the customers road..

I would not do it..

Van driver at fault in my opinion but not seen the longer video that Lisa Belle refers to"

Someone has just posted a YouTube link to the longer video above. It's worth watching.

A lot of delivery drivers, especially the supermarket ones, are penalised for not hitting their time slots so they end up driving around like lunatics which is possibly what happened here. its one thing hitting their slots but hitting their customers is another "

Rural Wiltshire

"

"

A very broad statement considering how many people that covers and curious to know the rationale behind it. Is it the poster is a mountain biker or just cannot stand road cyclists.

"

A very broad statement considering how many people that covers and curious to know the rationale behind it. Is it the poster is a mountain biker or just cannot stand road cyclists."

a lot of motorists get very tetchy where cyclists are concerned, i think its an impatience thing eg a car in front is driving 1 mile an hour slower than speed limit toot toot so imagine what a cyclist does slowing their progress

here

Fault on both sides

How is the cyclist at fault?"

The cyclist could have handled the road situation better - as could the van driver

Fault on both sides

The cyclist could have handled the road situation better - as could the van driver

"

So the cyclist is in the advanced stop line at the lights. Positioned correctly. He pulls away from the lights using the cycle lane. He has 2 rear lights to help drivers spot him. He hold his position and is riding at a constant speed. The van meanwhile pulls level with the cyclist but does not pass him. Then the van indicates maybe 10 metres from the junction and turns while also braking.

So when you say the cyclist could have handled the road situation better what would you recomend he did differently?

here

Fault on both sides

So the cyclist is in the advanced stop line at the lights. Positioned correctly. He pulls away from the lights using the cycle lane. He has 2 rear lights to help drivers spot him. He hold his position and is riding at a constant speed. The van meanwhile pulls level with the cyclist but does not pass him. Then the van indicates maybe 10 metres from the junction and turns while also braking.

So when you say the cyclist could have handled the road situation better what would you recomend he did differently?"

Easy to comment and judge in hindsight from the vantage point of a camera looking onto the situation ...

Very different in real time, for both cyclist and driver

By *toobguyMan  over a year ago

Manchester

Having seen the full video, it's quite clearly the drivers fault. Once he starts to pass the cyclist he slows to a similar speed, then at the last minute, breaks,indicates and turns in all at the same time (An increasingly common thing amongst drivers now).I would think he was looking out for a street name, saw it last minute then just turned in. Minimum offence of careless driving or driving without due care and attention. Or both.

Fault on both sides

So when you say the cyclist could have handled the road situation better what would you recomend he did differently?

Easy to comment and judge in hindsight from the vantage point of a camera looking onto the situation ...

Very different in real time, for both cyclist and driver "

But you said the cyclist could have handled the road situation better and I'm genuinely curious as to what you think he could or should have done differently?

here

Fault on both sides

But you said the cyclist could have handled the road situation better and I'm genuinely curious as to what you think he could or should have done differently?

"

Van indicating left - reduced speed

Maybe its the universe getting even for every cyclist whose ridden on the pavement, or straight through a junction on a red light, or narrowly missed people on a pedestrian crossing

Fault on both sides

Van indicating left - reduced speed"

How/when would the cyclist have seen that? As someone else said the van seems to indicate, brake and turn at the same time. The van doesn't indicate until a matter of metres before the junction and the cyclist would not have been able to see the indicators?

"Maybe its the universe getting even for every cyclist whose ridden on the pavement, or straight through a junction on a red light, or narrowly missed people on a pedestrian crossing"

Or maybe it isn't?

By *orny PTMan  over a year ago

Peterborough

I have just seen the video multiple times.

My background

I am a cyclist, former white van driver and I have my own car. I have been involved in a few crashes either side of the dashboard. So I am qualified to see all sides.

Both road users have joint responsibility, i.e. to follow the Highway code and to get to their destination in one piece.

This did not happen. Thanks to the dash cam, we all have the benefit of hindsight.

The van driver must have seen the cyclist as he was behind him at some point.

He also saw the blue cycle lane. If not, why not? Why was he straddling over the white line? Poor lane discipline

The video (led strobe effect) on shows the indicators coming on after the camera returns to the scene (who was filming?)

The van driver failed to check where the cyclist went to...windscreen, mirror, blind spot and collision.

Blind spots meant he couldn't see the cyclist: out of sight out of mind perhaps?

He also failed to stop, check then turn.

Bike lanes are similar to pavements, in that speeds are separate to the rest of the road. (How any buses and taxis zoom down bus lanes and undertake static traffic on the right?)

Clear lensed indicators are a poor substitute for orange lenses, in fact I'd go top say that they are less safe as there new positions and longer on off phases can be missed within a quick head glance.

Hi-viz, lights, mirror and a bell would have been less than useless here. Radios (was it on?) drown out bells! Luckily the helmet that was being worn came to the rescue.

I didn't see the cyclist turn his head until it was too late. Though that wouldn't have changed the outcome.

Conclusion: the van driver had the bigger responsibility (read vehicle and training) and despite the fact the cyclist was on the far left of the bike lane, he gave himself plenty of elbow room from the neighbouring traffic.

Verdict :driver GUILTY

As for TESCO. Shame on them. How much time/pressure/workload do they put on their drivers?

I have driven for enough firms to realise that, the clock is always ticking and the management have no idea what being stuck in traffic does to KPI (key performance figures aka targets). TESCO need to recalculate their van routes to a safe and realistic timescale.

I would be interested to see what Chris Boardman would say, both as a cyclist and a son who has lost his mother in an accident a while back.

Hope the cyclist, gets his recompense and a speedy recovery.

By *rx1Couple  over a year ago

North West Devon...

here

Fault on both sides

How/when would the cyclist have seen that? As someone else said the van seems to indicate, brake and turn at the same time. The van doesn't indicate until a matter of metres before the junction and the cyclist would not have been able to see the indicators?

"

... and as I’ve said - watching a video after the event is very different to it happening real time - for both cyclist and driver.

Hopefully videos like this serve as an education for drivers and cyclists

Fault on both sides

... and as I’ve said - watching a video after the event is very different to it happening real time - for both cyclist and driver.

"

So even though you cant identify anythibg the cyclist did wrong you still seem to apportion partial blame to them?

here

Fault on both sides

So even though you cant identify anythibg the cyclist did wrong you still seem to apportion partial blame to them?"

Drivers and cyclists can both learn from this video

Fault on both sides

So even though you cant identify anythibg the cyclist did wrong you still seem to apportion partial blame to them?

Drivers and cyclists can both learn from this video "

Yes cyclists can learn that every vehicle could kill them because the driver is not paying attention and is driving dangerously. But most cyclists know that anyway.

Neither look good. Both wrong and should have taken more care.

Diver overtook, slowed down then indicated and turned left.

Cyclist failed to react to surroundings - continued at same speed, in spite of van slowing down and left turn approaching and undertook van, or started to. Stupid not to ride more defensively.

By *d59michelleTV/TS  over a year ago

walsall

It's called a left hook when this happens

Delivery drivers looking for their drop are best avoided wherever possible

I've seen it, entirely the van drivers fault.

By *eralPete1Man  over a year ago

marsworth

Tom . Your full of fun aren't you . The daily mail . Mmm .

"Cant stand road cyclists, but this was the drivers fault. No way did he think he was far enough in front of the cyclist to have time to turn left.

The cyclist wasnt undertaking, how could he? He van hadn't fully overtook him yet

"

And I meant every word of it

"

A very broad statement considering how many people that covers and curious to know the rationale behind it. Is it the poster is a mountain biker or just cannot stand road cyclists."

Mountain biker, good guess

"Neither look good. Both wrong and should have taken more care.

Diver overtook, slowed down then indicated and turned left.

Cyclist failed to react to surroundings - continued at same speed, in spite of van slowing down and left turn approaching and undertook van, or started to. Stupid not to ride more defensively."

Fully agree with the above. Cyclists are vulnerable. They will always come off 2nd best in any tussle with a motor vehicle and therefore it makes self preservation sense for them to drive defensively..

I haven’t seen the video at all but I’ll join in and say it was completely the fault of the van driver.

"

Fault on both sides

Not a speculative comment - made from own experience of similar situation "

If these were two lanes of cars and a car in the right hand lane suddenly turned left hitting the other, would you really say "fault on both sides"?

Chelmsford

On balance...it was an accident..not deliberate..

Possibly the van drivers fault but an accident that shows how vulnerable cyclists are

Fabville

Perhaps people need to actually watch the full-length video clip before they start aportioning blame.

The van driver overtook the cyclist, then swerved in front of him to turn left. The video is shocking, to say the least, and highlights the importance of cycle helmets.

Chelmsford

It was an unfortunate coming together..

By *ara_and_MJCouple  over a year ago

rochdale

They were not undertaking.

The cyclist was in a marked lane, he had priority over any driver who wishes to enter that lane.

The van driver overtakes the cyclist & then makes an illegal turn across the lane.

This is clearly set out in Law

"You Must Not overtake where you might come into conflict with other road users".

It's attitudes like this that put MY life in danger & frankly I'm sick of it.

By *edoriartyCouple  over a year ago

Peterborough

I drive for a job, I'm not a cyclist at all and cyclists can often be their own worst enemies but watching that video it's clearly the driver at fault. That's just shit driving end of.

"There is a video of a Tesco van taking out a cyclist on the Daily Mail on line website. No doubt in my mind the van should not have turned if the cyclist was in his mirrors but was the cyclist undertaking..

No watch the full video, the Tesco van overtook the cyclist then turned left immediately. He should have slowed whilst signaling left, allowed the cyclist to pass the left turn then turned left"

The van “left hooked” its illegal van totally in the wrong

rochdale

The cyclist wasnt undertaking, how could he? He van hadn't fully overtook him yet"

Me

Commuter cyclist.

Mountain Biker.

Road Cyclist.

Please tell me in which mode I'm allowed to ride one of my bikes oh your greatness?

Actually, don't bother.

You can stick your valueless 'opinion' where the sun doesn't shine.

rochdale

"On balance...it was an accident..not deliberate..

Possibly the van drivers fault but an accident that shows how vulnerable cyclists are "

That's BS.

Use of the word accident is discouraged by police, who use the word collision.

'Accident' does not negate fault.

The driver may not have intended to collide but he is clearly at fault.

Rule 183 Highway Code

When turning, give way to any vehicles using a Bus Lane, Cycle Lane or Tramway from either direction.

A cycle is a vehicle & has legally been defined as such since 1879.

(Taylor V Goodwin 1879)

"It was an unfortunate coming together.."

It was careless and dangerous driving, nothing unfortunate about it

Peterborough

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Have you read this by Naomi Loomes?

Cyclist hits granny in pavement crash in Brighton, 21st January 2009.

A grandmother suffered broken bones and a bloody face after she was hit by a cyclist riding on the pavement.

Amanda Sewell, 64, suffered shattered bones in her hand and a black eye when a teenager on a mountain bike ploughed into her.

The incident happened on Monday at about 3.30pm in Marine Parade, Brighton.

Mrs Sewell, a grandmother of one, said: "I was crossing the pavement, almost at the railings overlooking the beach, when he hit me.

"I was knocked to the ground and had blood pouring from my mouth.

"It was dazzling sunlight and I can only think he didn't see me. He was about 19 years old.

"He stopped but then told me it was my fault and I shouldn t have been there. I was so angry.

"I told him I had every right to be there because it was a pavement for pedestrians and told him he must be much more careful in future because he could hit a child, but he just cycled off."

Mrs Sewell, from Kemp Town, went to the Royal Sussex County Hospital in Brighton and was treated for her injuries.

Should cyclists take more care or do pedestrians not take enough notice of cyclits (typo)? Tell us below...

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Mountain bikers ain't no angels.

I've had at least half a dozen mountain bikes and about 10 road bikes and never done anything like that.

"It was an unfortunate coming together..

It was careless and dangerous driving, nothing unfortunate about it "

Exactly. Just because it wasn't deliberate doesn't mean the driver wasn't to blame

Peterborough

Me

Commuter cyclist.

Mountain Biker.

Road Cyclist.

Please tell me in which mode I'm allowed to ride one of my bikes oh your greatness?

Actually, don't bother.

You can stick your valueless 'opinion' where the sun doesn't shine."

As a driver of cars vans motorcycles and cycles you get to learn hell of a lot of drivers hate any vehicles with two wheels always plenty of ignorant arseholes willing to moan about cyclists what would happen to the traffic situation if everyone who rides got a car instead.

"As a driver of cars vans motorcycles and cycles you get to learn hell of a lot of drivers hate any vehicles with two wheels always plenty of ignorant arseholes willing to moan about cyclists what would happen to the traffic situation if everyone who rides got a car instead. "

Be even better if everyone who drove a car rode a bike instead

"As a driver of cars vans motorcycles and cycles you get to learn hell of a lot of drivers hate any vehicles with two wheels always plenty of ignorant arseholes willing to moan about cyclists what would happen to the traffic situation if everyone who rides got a car instead. "

Vehicles with such restricted vision should be fitted with proximity sensors. They're a really inexpensive piece of kit, the same as parking sensors.

By *ugby 123Couple  over a year ago
Forum Mod

O o O oo

Looks like the drivers fault to me, he was the one who was trying to turn left while braking so it looks like he nearly missed his turning so made a dash to turn left.

Just waiting for the comment that the cyclist shouldn't have been on the road as they don't pay 'road tax'.

"Just waiting for the comment that the cyclist shouldn't have been on the road as they don't pay 'road tax'. "

Your right that’s always thrown into the mix on these anti cycling posts.

"Just waiting for the comment that the cyclist shouldn't have been on the road as they don't pay 'road tax'.

Your right that’s always thrown into the mix on these anti cycling posts. "

To be fair no-one has mentioned that, it's pretty clear from the footage that the van driver was to blame.

Forum Mod

O o O oo

"Just waiting for the comment that the cyclist shouldn't have been on the road as they don't pay 'road tax'. "

It took 83 comments before you did

"Just waiting for the comment that the cyclist shouldn't have been on the road as they don't pay 'road tax'.

It took 83 comments before you did"

Looks like I stole your thunder...

I bet that cyclist gave out some F&F language.

By *wisted999Man  over a year ago

North Bucks

Saw it this morning Guy was so lucky to walk away from that.

Forum Mod

O o O oo

It took 83 comments before you did

Looks like I stole your thunder..."

Eh?

"Maybe its the universe getting even for every cyclist whose ridden on the pavement, or straight through a junction on a red light, or narrowly missed people on a pedestrian crossing

Or maybe it isn't?"

OK was i too subtle for you monkey?it's payback for all the cyclists who DO ride like dickheads

By *overt711CoolMan  over a year ago

Leicestershire

My background is of a car driver of many years and also a road cyclist.

Beggars belief after seeing the video that anyone can put any form of blame on the cyclist.

Having been in a similar situation myself many years ago I still get memories as to how quickly these situations occur and how little reaction time you have as a cyclist to try and avoid contact and possible injury.

For someone to tell you that you should be riding defensively whilst riding in a roughly straight line on a busy road where all other drivers are giving you all the space you need just tells me that that person offering that advice has not got a clue as to what they are talking about.

Total 100% blame goes to the van driver, not just in my opinion but in the evidence in the video and the laws in this country covering vehicle use on our roads.

By *ranny-CrumpetWoman  over a year ago

King's Crustacean

Okay let me beggar your belief a bit further.

I apportion blame to the driver for not using sufficient caution when turning left .... for what ever reason.

I apportion blame to the cyclist - NOT for the accident - but for not using sufficient caution.

1. Why didn't the cyclist hold back until the van passed the left turn ?

Just that tiny bit of thought would have prevented that accident.

He took for granted that the driver wouldn't turn.

If you look at the video you will notice the solid white border which prohibits the van from driving in the blue lane.

As the van reached the left turn the line is unbroken and he is allowed to cross the blue lane. ( he should have made sure there wasn't anyone in the blue lane first - granted )

The cyclist should be aware of blue lane rules and should have realised the possibility of a driver crossing a broken line and then he could have continued to undertake the van when he was passing houses etc.....

When I approach a mini roundabout or junction .... I don't think ' oh that driver not indicating is going to go straight over'...... I think ' where is this soft bastard going' .... and exercise caution.

The biker did not exercise sufficient caution at the left turn. He could have but didn't ....

When children are at the roadside with head phones on I don't think ...... ''those kids better not cross in front of me or they are dead' .... I think 'best slow down and watch the kids till im sure it's safe' .....

It's up to everyone. Every road user.

If it went to court...... The driver'd lose.

By *aitonelMan  over a year ago

Liverpool

"Okay let me beggar your belief a bit further.

I apportion blame to the driver for not using sufficient caution when turning left .... for what ever reason.

I apportion blame to the cyclist - NOT for the accident - but for not using sufficient caution.

If you look at the video you will notice the solid white border which prohibits the van from driving in the blue lane.

As the van reached the left turn the line is unbroken and he is allowed to cross the blue lane. ( he should have made sure there wasn't anyone in the blue lane first - granted )

The cyclist should be aware of blue lane rules and should have realised the possibility of a driver crossing a broken line and then he could have continued to undertake the van when he was passing houses etc.....

When I approach a mini roundabout or junction .... I don't think ' oh that driver not indicating is going to go straight over'...... I think ' where is this soft bastard going' .... and exercise caution.

The biker did not exercise sufficient caution at the left turn. He could have but didn't ....

When children are at the roadside with head phones on I don't think ...... ''those kids better not cross in front of me or they are dead' .... I think 'best slow down and watch the kids till im sure it's safe' .....

If it went to court...... The driver'd lose. "

Fully agree. Regardless of what "should" be done we are all within the realm of using common sense and just not trusting that others will do the correct thing. We all make mistakes and make judgement calls, some fairly bad ones. Just think how many times you have seen a driver (or cyclist) do something totally stupid, dangerous, or just straight up law breaking. It's fairly common so I never trust anyone to do the right thing that way I'm prepared to adapt myself.

You sure speak sense for someone who farts dust and cleans their teeth overnight in a glass tumbler by the bed.

here

"

A very broad statement considering how many people that covers and curious to know the rationale behind it. Is it the poster is a mountain biker or just cannot stand road cyclists.a lot of motorists get very tetchy where cyclists are concerned, i think its an impatience thing eg a car in front is driving 1 mile an hour slower than speed limit toot toot so imagine what a cyclist does slowing their progress "

this

Both are to blame.

As a cyclist if you place yourself in that position (if the car / van is indicating or not) then you’re asking for trouble.

The van should have checked his mirrors before turning in. That’s just basic.

"Both are to blame.

As a cyclist if you place yourself in that position (if the car / van is indicating or not) then you’re asking for trouble.

The van should have checked his mirrors before turning in. That’s just basic. "

Well said.

rochdale

"Both are to blame.

The van should have checked his mirrors before turning in. That’s just basic. "

The position of being in a marked lane,ahead of the van driver & with priority according to rule 183 of the Highway Code?

The cyclist did absolutely nothing wrong, yet you people are desperate to apportion blame to him.

Try this mental exercise..

If you are driving in lane 1 of the motorway & are approaching a junction.

As you get alongside the junction a van in lane 2 overtakes & pulls

across lane 1 & collides with you, who is at fault?

Exactly the same scenario.

"Both are to blame.

The position of being in a marked lane,ahead of the van driver & with priority according to rule 183 of the Highway Code?

The cyclist did absolutely nothing wrong, yet you people are desperate to apportion blame to him.

Exactly the same scenario."

Dont confuse the Highway code with Road Traffic Law!!

"Both are to blame.

I disagree to an extent. He did nothing legally wrong, but committed a crime against common sense. Van - 3.5 tonnes of metal and plastic. Cyclist - 90 kilos of meat bag. He should have checked thoroughly that the van wasn't going to veer across him at a junction and should have slowed so that his position on the road was suitable for the situation, or potential situation. Every competent cyclist should know that a road vehicle will do the wrong thing every time, and be prepared for it.

rochdale

"Both are to blame.

Dont confuse the Highway code with Road Traffic Law!!"

You think the RTA 1988 wasn't in breach there?

rochdale

"Both are to blame.

I disagree to an extent. He did nothing legally wrong, but committed a crime against common sense. Van - 3.5 tonnes of metal and plastic. Cyclist - 90 kilos of meat bag. He should have checked thoroughly that the van wasn't going to veer across him at a junction and should have slowed so that his position on the road was suitable for the situation, or potential situation. Every competent cyclist should know that a road vehicle will do the wrong thing every time, and be prepared for it."

Exactly how can you check when the van driver didn't indicate until he had actually started the manoeuvre?

"Both are to blame.

I disagree to an extent. He did nothing legally wrong, but committed a crime against common sense. Van - 3.5 tonnes of metal and plastic. Cyclist - 90 kilos of meat bag. He should have checked thoroughly that the van wasn't going to veer across him at a junction and should have slowed so that his position on the road was suitable for the situation, or potential situation. Every competent cyclist should know that a road vehicle will do the wrong thing every time, and be prepared for it.

Exactly how can you check when the van driver didn't indicate until he had actually started the manoeuvre?"

He could have looked over his shoulder, saw the van was there and assumed it would turn across him. By slowing down just slightly and putting himself outside the angle of turn he would have massively reduced the chance of being hit. I'm sure the cyclist's injuries hurt a lot less knowing he was in the right.

Peterborough

Me too, did you ever see a horse wearing a tax disc?

Foreign cars over here on holiday, G-whizzes, vintage vehicles and a few other categories don't either.

Rural Wiltshire

"

He could have looked over his shoulder, saw the van was there and assumed it would turn across him. By slowing down just slightly and putting himself outside the angle of turn he would have massively reduced the chance of being hit. I'm sure the cyclist's injuries hurt a lot less knowing he was in the right. "

Would you be so blasé had the cyclist been seriously or fatally injured?

[Removed by poster at 14/02/20 18:47:28]

"

He could have looked over his shoulder, saw the van was there and assumed it would turn across him. By slowing down just slightly and putting himself outside the angle of turn he would have massively reduced the chance of being hit. I'm sure the cyclist's injuries hurt a lot less knowing he was in the right.

"

No, I would have been fakely dismayed and upset. I'd also post insincere sentiments of regret to virtue signal how caring I am about somebody I don't/didn't know in a country I don't live in.

"

No, I would have been fakely dismayed and upset. I'd also post insincere sentiments of regret to virtue signal how caring I am about somebody I don't/didn't know in a country I don't live in. "

Advantage,....bongo boy

Just watched this on YouTube,from very start it shows cyclist bike about half a cycle ahead of van,so van passing cyclist(not undertaking).

Van driver knows he is going to turn left,as he can not see cyclists in mirror,wrongly assumes bike is not there!(until much further down road would he appear in mirrors),yes the van driver did indicate left,but as cyclist next to van would never have seen that,van driver clearly at fault for such a reckless late turn which put him in compley wrong road position and turned on to side street on wrong side of the road,van driver totally at fault here

"Both are to blame.

I ride, a lot. I’d never put myself in that position.

Always assume that no one has seen you.

Chelmsford

I actually stopped cycling on public roads years ago. It's too dangerous and scarey in my opinion. I stick to cycle paths and off road tracks.

There is also too much road rage these days. I was driving in a 40 limit at 30 last week. The lights about 300 metres ahead were green but I never race the lights so continued at 30. I then saw a man behind tailgetting and gesturing me to speed up. He was really angry when the lights went red and I had to stop. He was gesturing and had kids in the car. Poor example to them also. The roads have become a cesspit of rage and I don't always feel safe on them anymore. Quite worrying

I passed two cyclists (together) this morning in this foul weather (Storm Dennis). Viz was poor. Only one had his/her lights on (ALL the cars had headlights on) but most importantly both cylists were wearing dark waterproof clothing!!! Makes me so cross and this is not untypical. aaarrgghh

I ignored everything after Daily Mail...but I love to see a cyclist and/or a Tesco Van stop them from ever publishing such a hate fueled piece of garbage ever again

98% of road users are arrogant, dangerous wankers.

"

A very broad statement considering how many people that covers and curious to know the rationale behind it. Is it the poster is a mountain biker or just cannot stand road cyclists.a lot of motorists get very tetchy where cyclists are concerned, i think its an impatience thing eg a car in front is driving 1 mile an hour slower than speed limit toot toot so imagine what a cyclist does slowing their progress this "

this

Chelmsford

"I ignored everything after Daily Mail...but I love to see a cyclist and/or a Tesco Van stop them from ever publishing such a hate fueled piece of garbage ever again"

Hate fuelled garbage ?

Peterborough

Can't stand chavs who ride mountain bikes and wear headphones, whilst riding on the road at night, with no lights in dark clothing.

Should have ran him over, as the dazzling headlights of the oncoming cars and traffic lights made the twat almost invisible.

Beeped my horn (because it is hazardous) for 10 seconds. Totally oblivious.

The Darwin Awards are beckoning...

By *arry247Couple  over a year ago

Wakefield

[Removed by poster at 17/02/20 21:31:41]

Chelmsford

"Can't stand chavs who ride mountain bikes and wear headphones, whilst riding on the road at night, with no lights in dark clothing.

Should have ran him over, as the dazzling headlights of the oncoming cars and traffic lights made the twat almost invisible.

The Darwin Awards are beckoning... "

So you advocate killing of seriously maiming the cyclist ?

By *ervent_fervourMan  over a year ago

Halifax

"Maybe its the universe getting even for every cyclist whose ridden on the pavement, or straight through a junction on a red light, or narrowly missed people on a pedestrian crossing"

Yeah. They kill loads of people every year.

Motor vehicle users are however gods gift.

Sorry about the sarcasm. But.. Nuance?!

Chelmsford

"Maybe its the universe getting even for every cyclist whose ridden on the pavement, or straight through a junction on a red light, or narrowly missed people on a pedestrian crossing

Sorry about the sarcasm. But.. Nuance?! "

Eye for an eye then..

Good biblical quote

"To my mind he was undertaking the van which was keeping away from blue cycle path until turning..Either way the cyclist should have been cycling defensively because for his own safety.."

Peterborough

"Can't stand chavs who ride mountain bikes and wear headphones, whilst riding on the road at night, with no lights in dark clothing.

So you advocate killing of seriously maiming the cyclist ?"

I advocate the use of suitable bike lights and obeying the highway code.

The fact that he was riding for scant regard for his own and maybe other peoples' safety speaks volumes. But hey ho some people can't be educated where I live.

Spleen vented!

How would you describe his actions? Sane, safe, legal or a collision waiting to happen.

As a van driver who holds a certain amount of distain for some cyclists, I have to say that the van driver was completely in the wrong there, he even took the corner so quick that he had to use the wrong side of the road to get round.

Just my humble opinion.

Chelmsford

The fact that he was riding for scant regard for his own and maybe other peoples' safety speaks volumes. But hey ho some people can't be educated where I live.

Spleen vented!

How would you describe his actions? Sane, safe, legal or a collision waiting to happen."

I honestly think he was just riding along minding his own business then taken out by the van turning left

By *teveanddebsCouple  over a year ago

Norwich

Every little helps.

Sorry about the sarcasm. But.. Nuance?! "

Wait till one of them breaks your elderly relatives hip because he rode straight into her on a crossing, past a row of stationary traffic ,knocked her to the ground ,swore at her then rode off..

Then try being so fucking smug,arse

He didn't pass safely he cut across the path of the cyclist. Your actions shouldn't cause others to change direction or brake

The court and Tesco clearly thought he was wrong hence the fine points and dismissal

marsworth

I think we should all get out more

By *eovilcouple76Couple  over a year ago

yeovil

Wait till one of them breaks your elderly relatives hip because he rode straight into her on a crossing, past a row of stationary traffic ,knocked her to the ground ,swore at her then rode off..

Then try being so fucking smug,arse"

Your elderly relative has far more chance if being hit by a car than a cyclist. Even on a crossing.

Your elderly relative has far more chance if being hit by a car than a cyclist. Even on a crossing. "

Wrong again monkey,she spent six weeks in hospital and now can't walk unaided

By *dwalu2Couple  over a year ago

Bristol

Your elderly relative has far more chance if being hit by a car than a cyclist. Even on a crossing.

Wrong again monkey,she spent six weeks in hospital and now can't walk unaided "

Surprised you’re not blaming the universe rather than a cyclist, considering what you’ve written above.

salisbury

Wrong again monkey,she spent six weeks in hospital and now can't walk unaided "

How does that change the odds?

Peterborough

Spleen vented!

How would you describe his actions? Sane, safe, legal or a collision waiting to happen.

I honestly think he was just riding along minding his own business then taken out by the van turning left"

The first half of this reply is about the road cyclist and Tesco van. The second half is about a suicidal lunatic who nearly ended up under my car at night.

Just to be clear!

Wrong again monkey,she spent six weeks in hospital and now can't walk unaided

How does that change the odds?"

Because she wasn't hit by a motorist, but was hit by a moron on a bike

marsworth

I cant believe the thread is still running. It's a swingers site no a road safety organisation. Sad

"I cant believe the thread is still running. It's a swingers site no a road safety organisation. Sad "

Your quite right, I'm gone from it now

A radical suggestion.

Some cyclist are dicks. Dislike them. Most cyclists are lovely people. Like them.

Some drivers are dicks. Dislike them. Most drivers are lovely people. Like them.

Prejudice is always wrong, every single time (or am I being prejudiced against narrow-minded people?)

Chelmsford

"A radical suggestion.

Some cyclist are dicks. Dislike them. Most cyclists are lovely people. Like them.

Some drivers are dicks. Dislike them. Most drivers are lovely people. Like them.

Prejudice is always wrong, every single time (or am I being prejudiced against narrow-minded people?)

"

But in a collision mostly one is at a disadvantage ..

Rural Wiltshire

"I actually stopped cycling on public roads years ago. It's too dangerous and scarey in my opinion. I stick to cycle paths and off road tracks.

There is also too much road rage these days. I was driving in a 40 limit at 30 last week. The lights about 300 metres ahead were green but I never race the lights so continued at 30. I then saw a man behind tailgetting and gesturing me to speed up. He was really angry when the lights went red and I had to stop. He was gesturing and had kids in the car. Poor example to them also. The roads have become a cesspit of rage and I don't always feel safe on them anymore. Quite worrying"

Respect dude if you can hold 30mph you are shifting along. I only dream of those speeds.

By *amissCouple  over a year ago

chelmsford

"I cant believe the thread is still running. It's a swingers site no a road safety organisation. Sad "

The lounge is for general chat and discussion, you want swingers chat forum, first on your left

By *icentiousCouple  over a year ago

Up on them there hills

As long as the cyclist has insurance, where is the problem?

"As long as the cyclist has insurance, where is the problem?"

He could have been dead or limb removed. Insurance is small comfort for that

Up on them there hills

"As long as the cyclist has insurance, where is the problem?

He could have been dead or limb removed. Insurance is small comfort for that "

Well if he was dead I don’t think there would be comfort in that either.

Well if he was dead I don’t think there would be comfort in that either."

I can only assume you've not seen the actual video?

Up on them there hills

Well if he was dead I don’t think there would be comfort in that either.

Is the cyclist dead?

I can only assume you've not seen the actual video? "

Up on them there hills

We live in a village that has had the tour de Yorkshire though it the Tour de France very close, the Tour de Yorkshire is through again this year so we are bombarded by idiots who want to test the course.

From the small town to the village is a mile and a quarter of steep up hill, narrow and very winding and they will ride two or three abreast.

Because where we are we have four cyclist races through the village one that goes in a loop fourteen times,

I gladly give cyclists as much space as I can.

However, road lice is a term that is banded about a lot in the village.

Just watched the clip, the van driver is 100% to blame.

Chelmsford

"We live in a village that has had the tour de Yorkshire though it the Tour de France very close, the Tour de Yorkshire is through again this year so we are bombarded by idiots who want to test the course.

From the small town to the village is a mile and a quarter of steep up hill, narrow and very winding and they will ride two or three abreast.

Because where we are we have four cyclist races through the village one that goes in a loop fourteen times,

I gladly give cyclists as much space as I can.

However, road lice is a term that is banded about a lot in the village.

"

Road Lice.. never heard that expression before

By *ust RachelTV/TS  over a year ago

Horsham

"Undertaking is not illegal but clearly unsafe. But before you turn left not checking your mirrors first can see deemed driving without due care and attention

If you were on the motorway and someone passed you, got about 2 feet ahead of you and then braked and swerved back into your lane, whilst you continued at a constant speed, you'd be a bit pissed off, I'd say."

Happens a lot to me by BMW, Audi, 4x4, Mercedes and van drivers, I expect those car drivers not to understand the road traffic act or the highway code.

By *nottygirlWoman  over a year ago

Glasgowshire

"Undertaking is not illegal but clearly unsafe. But before you turn left not checking your mirrors first can see deemed driving without due care and attention

If you were on the motorway and someone passed you, got about 2 feet ahead of you and then braked and swerved back into your lane, whilst you continued at a constant speed, you'd be a bit pissed off, I'd say.

Happens a lot to me by BMW, Audi, 4x4, Mercedes and van drivers, I expect those car drivers not to understand the road traffic act or the highway code."

I'm a cyclist and a BMW driver and I regard myself as careful, considerate and courteous as both

I've watched the video clip from the traffic lights to the collision. The van driver over took the stream of cyclists so would know they were there. I'm not familiar with blue cycle lanes so I'll need to check the highway code for rights of way when vehicles need to turn left across the cycle lane. That said the van turned very suddenly with no time for the cyclist to avoid the collision.

Chelmsford

The cyclist was tanking it though

Glasgowshire

"The cyclist was tanking it though "

He was, as were the stream of those behind him, as long as he wasn't 'tanking it' above the speed limit then all good and well...

Be gutted if my delivery was on that and my avocado supply got smashed or was running late

salisbury

"Be gutted if my delivery was on that and my avocado supply got smashed or was running late "

Your compassion is an example to us all.

"Be gutted if my delivery was on that and my avocado supply got smashed or was running late

Your compassion is an example to us all. "

standard

By *moothdickMan  over a year ago

stoke

Think to many ppl have been watching CSI & are now forensic and accident experts .. but claim for you will be waiting behind a wall, somewhere..

By *sGivesWoodWoman  over a year ago

ST. AUSTELL, CORNWALL

Really one I know has several degrees. Do you?

"The cyclist was tanking it though "

Well if he was (he wasn't but for arguments sake lets say you are right) what does that say about the van driver who was of course travelling faster?

Yet another post with lots of drivers venting their hatred for any two wheeled vehicle. Cycled on the roads all my adult life and ride motorbike also own a car still can’t believe how much venom lots of drivers have against two wheeled vehicles. Oh and yes I have been put under the front wheels of a car when the driver pulled out of his drive early one morning. Dare say it was my fault for being in his way on my bike.

Chelmsford

The trouble with bikes is the long stopping distance. Many just ride too fast and then can't stop in time..

The technology is all about lighter and faster. Not stopping quicker

"The trouble with bikes is the long stopping distance. Many just ride too fast and then can't stop in time..

The technology is all about lighter and faster. Not stopping quicker "

Take it you don’t ride a bike. New push bikes have disc brakes and can stop quicker than most cars and if your talking about motor bikes my latest one has twin discs on the front one disc on the rear and ABS so I have no idea where you get the idea bikes can’t stop. What they can’t stop is cars purposely driving at us or cutting us up

Chelmsford

I have ridden pushbikes and motorbikes and cars and lorries. The trouble is that some lycra loonies think they are wearing a suit of armour. Maybe if it were a real suit of armour it would slow them down a bit

"I have ridden pushbikes and motorbikes and cars and lorries. The trouble is that some lycra loonies think they are wearing a suit of armour. Maybe if it were a real suit of armour it would slow them down a bit "

Drivers always have full set of armour round them it’s called a car. And of course no drivers ever go too fast just the damn cyclist why not ban them all. There an idea I’ve not heard on here before

Chelmsford

I have no issue with other roadusers. All welcome. Caravans annoy me more than cyclists

"I have no issue with other roadusers. All welcome. Caravans annoy me more than cyclists"

You’ll be pleased to know then we don’t have a caravan lol.

Glasgowshire

Extract from the highway code:

Use your mirrors and give a left-turn signal well before you turn left. Do not overtake just before you turn left and watch out for traffic coming up on your left before you make the turn, especially if driving a large vehicle. Cyclists, motorcyclists and other road users in particular may be hidden from your view.

Maldon

"I have no issue with other roadusers. All welcome. Caravans annoy me more than cyclists"

Suffering with ‘caravan envy’ are we?

Things of beauty.

By *ficouldMan  over a year ago

a quandary, could you change my mind?

The driver of the Van is at fault.

He passed the cyclist buy only just , indicates and makes his manure with very limited space to make his turn at the speed he was going across a marked solid line across a cycle lane, he would have seen the cyclist when he drove past and in his mirror if he had looked.

The cyclist is in a marked cycle lane, I don't believe there is anything about undertaking when using a cycle lane.

Yes the cyclist should ride defensively, but sometimes things happen too quickly.

Tesco have paid out compo and sacked the driver. Your actions driving should not make others change course or slow down to avoid you

Looks like cyclists will have to be given higher priority in the grand scheme of things as there will be no car sharing and not as many will be able to travel on public transport

If you go to Germany, France and Spain cyclists are given much more respect, it's only the knobs in this country that try to kill you because they think they own the road because you don't pay road tax, actually I do on my car and motorcycle but that's an emissions tax and cycles don't emit any so would be exempt anyway

Chelmsford

"The driver of the Van is at fault.

He passed the cyclist buy only just , indicates and makes his manure with very limited space to make his turn at the speed he was going across a marked solid line across a cycle lane, he would have seen the cyclist when he drove past and in his mirror if he had looked.

The cyclist is in a marked cycle lane, I don't believe there is anything about undertaking when using a cycle lane.

Yes the cyclist should ride defensively, but sometimes things happen too quickly."

"Makes his manure with very limited space"

Maldon

In London the biggest threat to cyclists is other cyclists.

I cycled across London from Kings Cross to Waterloo. Not a long journey but during rush hour you have to be aware of buses, taxis, cars of course. You can here them. It was the silent but quick bike commuters coming from behind ( and not in a good way) that were terrifying. And angry if you got in their way.