FabSwingers.com

FabSwingers.com > Forums > The Lounge > I’m at that point

I’m at that point

Jump to: Newest in thread

By *urtyGent OP   Man  over a year ago

eastleigh

I’m at that point in my life where I don’t need to be an expert at EVERYTHING. There was a point in my life were I was so confident that I knew what was the best stuff in my life. From foods to beers to even what sort of clobber I like wearing and looks good.

Does everyone have this realisation or was I just a massive prick in my younger years? I realise this may not be two things that are mutually exclusive

Reply privately, Reply in forum +quote or View forums list

By (user no longer on site)  over a year ago

When I was younger, well up until I had my child and moved out of my grandparents house. I was spoilt, had a good job as well with good money, had no bills other than my phone and car insurance. Bought a Nissan 350Z when they were first out and always had lovely clothes, like would spend like £150 on replay jeans all the time. Now I buy jeans in primark for £13 quid, accessories them with a 90p pair of flip flops, the realisation is that I still look good regardless!

By *urtyGent OP   Man  over a year ago

eastleigh

"When I was younger, well up until I had my child and moved out of my grandparents house. I was spoilt, had a good job as well with good money, had no bills other than my phone and car insurance. Bought a Nissan 350Z when they were first out and always had lovely clothes, like would spend like £150 on replay jeans all the time. Now I buy jeans in primark for £13 quid, accessories them with a 90p pair of flip flops, the realisation is that I still look good regardless! "

Exactly the kind of thing I mean. That realisation that you were wrong about so much stuff opens the door to all this other shit that you had no idea was relevant.

Also, can confirm you look great

By *emorefridaCouple  over a year ago

La la land

Think it comes with age and confidence. There's a shit load I know bugger all about and I probably never will. But then there are areas I do know a lot about and that's enough for me. I am my own strange and unique mix of knowledge and life experiences.

By *naswingdressWoman  over a year ago

Manchester (she/her)

I like to know what's best for me, research it. If I need to find out I will.

But I don't need to have the best of the best, and I don't shout it to the heavens when I do. It's, quality/hassle/price. Find a happy medium.

By *uriousscouserWoman  over a year ago

Wirral

"Think it comes with age and confidence. There's a shit load I know bugger all about and I probably never will. But then there are areas I do know a lot about and that's enough for me. I am my own strange and unique mix of knowledge and life experiences. "

I've got nothing to prove any more. I know a massive amount about the things that interest me, nothing about the things that don't.

It's all good.

By *atricia ParnelWoman  over a year ago

In a town full of colours

"I’m at that point in my life where I don’t need to be an expert at EVERYTHING. There was a point in my life were I was so confident that I knew what was the best stuff in my life. From foods to beers to even what sort of clobber I like wearing and looks good.

Does everyone have this realisation or was I just a massive prick in my younger years? I realise this may not be two things that are mutually exclusive "

On the cusp of turning 43 I am still in that I want to know everything mindset and I know exactly what's best for me, which is predominantly satisfying my insatiable curiosity. I do wonder if I'll grow out of it as I get older, or if my journey will satisfy me or drive me on for more.

Cool question OP

By *amissCouple  over a year ago

chelmsford

I think most of us were like that when we were younger. I had to have a lot of knowledge in the job I had and soaked it up like a sponge. Now happily retired, I can choose what knowledge I need to have and just concentrate on the simple things in life and not the pressure of my career, slop about in jeans instead of suits and answerable to no one

chelmsford

[Removed by poster at 29/01/20 11:44:43]

By *ohnjones3210Man  over a year ago

Chester

I'm still a massive prick to be honest! Ha!

But jeans, no, I never have spent over £20 on a pair of jeans.

By *manaWoman  over a year ago

Basingstoke

Ive not answered to anyone for the last 5 years and I'm not changing that anytime soon

chelmsford

"I'm still a massive prick to be honest! Ha!

But jeans, no, I never have spent over £20 on a pair of jeans. "

Me neither, you don't have to wear expensive clothes to look good

Chester

Me neither, you don't have to wear expensive clothes to look good "

Exactly, I mean, in my profile pic, I'm wearing like £2s worth of underpants, that's all. Ha!

chelmsford

Exactly, I mean, in my profile pic, I'm wearing like £2s worth of underpants, that's all. Ha!"

Gosh you wouldn't know

By *hunky GentMan  over a year ago

Maldon and Peterborough

In our early days we experiment with who we are. Sometimes to try and blend in with others.

With 'wisdom' (other word for being old), we learn than people will accept us for who we are if they are true friends.

By *pursChick aka ShortieWoman  over a year ago

On a mooch

All part of getting older and realising what is actually important, rather than what others, yourself or the media tells you is

chelmsford

"All part of getting older and realising what is actually important, rather than what others, yourself or the media tells you is

"

Very true

Chester

Exactly, I mean, in my profile pic, I'm wearing like £2s worth of underpants, that's all. Ha!

Gosh you wouldn't know"

Haha! Cheeky!

chelmsford

Gosh you wouldn't know

Haha! Cheeky!"

By *ea monkeyMan  over a year ago

Manchester (he/him)

There's a scientific theory based around exactly this. It's called the Dunning Kruger effect. Look it up, it's very informative.

» Add a new message to this topic