FabSwingers.com

FabSwingers.com > Forums > The Lounge > Do kids get enough exersize?

Do kids get enough exersize?

Jump to: Newest in thread

By (user no longer on site) OP     over a year ago

And what could be done to tackle the problem? I would say no they dont as most of them are on their devices or watching too much tv, it is a big difference from back in the days where most were outside playing.

Reply privately, Reply in forum +quote or View forums list

By (user no longer on site)  over a year ago

I dont think my kids know how to climb a tree or build a damn in the river. I was never in. Its so sad to see. X

By *nnocentimesMan  over a year ago

over there by that tree

I think it’s blown out of all proportion tbh.... in my girls school there’s probably 6 or 7 I would class as obese and around 50-60 that are marginally overweight - out of a school of 450

The vast majority of kids are massively underweight and are equally as unhealthy as the larger ones, hardly any of them walk to school or bike/scooter.... it’s a real shame.

I would rather see a child carrying slightly more weight than less, as in my experience you know they are eating rather than having hunger pains all day.

"I dont think my kids know how to climb a tree or build a damn in the river. I was never in. Its so sad to see. X"
That is right it is a big difference from now and back in the days

My son is about to turn 18 so obviously he's been exposed to technology from birth. He could type his name before he could write it, his father is a software developer. At no point in his entire life has he been close to overweight and both his parents always have been. He's wiry and tall and walks to and from school every day including a pretty steep hill that my gym fit boyfriend struggles with. When he was old enough to watch TV he would for a bit but would then want to go and play with something. Obviously diet is a big factor in fitness levels etc. We've always monitored screen time but not really had to that much, he sort of did it himself. He's an only child and though he's very secure he's also very self reliant which makes me happy. The ability to enjoy your own company is incredibly useful.

By *nnocentimesMan  over a year ago

over there by that tree

Just to add from my previous ramble....

The lack of competitive sports is state schools has contributed to the problem exponentially, why try and be the best when you get an award for coming last?

There’s no fight in kids to be top dog anymore, I remember being at school coming in from rugby practice having black eyes, bloody nose as we’ve been smashing each other to impress the coach to get a game!

Mine are incredibly fortunate to have masses of open spaces/woods/parks to play in - if they are with their friends the eldest can go off anywhere as long as we’ve been told, the youngest is confined to the “square” until she’s a bit older.

It’s not nearly as dangerous out there as the media portrays, there’s always been bad people about, but now with social media the scare mongering is very real.

By *icecouple561Couple  over a year ago
Forum Mod

East Sussex

I think it's about more than exercise and devices.

There's undoubtedly a problem but I think there's a range of contributory factors with diet and the availability of low cost, low nutrient , high calorie food and drinks being the major one.

I think there's very little to be done without legislation because education isn't helping

By *viatrixWoman  over a year ago

Redhill

Mine get dragged (many times it is literally dragged) out to athletics, cycling, golf... by their dad. It used to be a cause for arguments, but they are all very fit and with a healthy weight. My teenagers have great powerful, athletic legs.

I worry about my kid looking too damn skinny. She does football, rugby and cross country in school. She runs with her Dad. She does swimming lessons once a week, gymnastics once a week and kickboxing twice a week.

I’m constantly feeding her but she still looks thin and she’s 10.

Yep.

By *inky Biscuit DunkerMan  over a year ago

Gloucestershire

Tip...

Turn off the wifi for periods of time everyday

#grumpyoldfart

Deffo not not just kids all of us really I'm very lazy lol

If kids don’t get enough exercise that’s the parents faults. There’s always been overweight kids, even before iPads, computers, tv etc.

I preferred reading as a child, I loved it. Yet I still went out to play pretty much every day.

My younger sister is 12 and has a phone and an iPad, plus watches a lotttttt of tv and plays sims on her laptop all the bloody time. Yet she’s always out and about.

For kids, exercise doesn’t need to be proper exercise. Just going out with your friends and walking about most days is enough. Staying active. You do p.e at school, you get playtime and lunch time at school where, unless it’s raining, you HAVE to go outside

By *a LunaWoman  over a year ago

South

My kids are overactive so I have to use exercise to quieten them down a bit. My youngest who has ASD plays his Xbox standing up, jogging and jumping on the spot he’s that lively!

Our School does the daily mile as well as PE twice a week.

So I can’t speak for everyone, but my kids are active.

"Tip...

Turn off the wifi for periods of time everyday

#grumpyoldfart "

Exactly. You can’t blame technology for bad parenting. You’re the one who’s causing it

"My kids are overactive so I have to use exercise to quieten them down a bit. My youngest who has ASD plays his Xbox standing up, jogging and jumping on the spot he’s that lively!

So I can’t speak for everyone, but my kids are active."

Most kids I know are active. I dunno if it’s just the area I’m from or what, but I was shocked when I started working with primary school kids just how little they wanted to be inside. And we have a tv, a wii, a PlayStation, and a computer for them to play on. They barely get put on once a week

"I think it's about more than exercise and devices.

There's undoubtedly a problem but I think there's a range of contributory factors with diet and the availability of low cost, low nutrient , high calorie food and drinks being the major one.

I think there's very little to be done without legislation because education isn't helping"

Yes and I think it is also a change in culture as well.

I think there's very little to be done without legislation because education isn't helpingYes and I think it is also a change in culture as well."

What culture?

When he was very little I had music on all the time, mtv and so on. It was interesting seeing what he responded to. I'm someone who can't keep still if I hear music, I'm a chronic head bobber and foot tapper and if I'm standing up I'll dance about. So maybe cos from before he could crawl he watched me constantly dancing around he instinctively wanted to start moving around, once he could crawl there was no stopping him. Never wanted to sit still. Dunno, just musing out loud.

Despite being millenials and IT savvy my kids were always, thankfully, outdoorsy and adventurous and they continue to be so even though both are grown up. It will carry on with their kids I'm sure..

By *urvyandCurious999Woman  over a year ago

Hiding from twats

"My kids are overactive so I have to use exercise to quieten them down a bit. My youngest who has ASD plays his Xbox standing up, jogging and jumping on the spot he’s that lively!

So I can’t speak for everyone, but my kids are active."

My boys jump up and down on the spot when they're playing xbox, I thought it was just them

By *a LunaWoman  over a year ago

South

So I can’t speak for everyone, but my kids are active.

My boys jump up and down on the spot when they're playing xbox, I thought it was just them "

It’s a sight to behold isn’t it

Mine do. It's not my business how other parents bring up their kids.

Love a good generalisation! Go to a local football club and see if you think the kids are unfit. Problem is a chubby kid will stick in your mind whereas the 10 normal build ones you passed earlier in the day didn’t. It’s perceptions

By *ocbigMan  over a year ago

Birmingham

Firstly....exercise is less of a predictor of obesity than diet, diet really rules pretty much everything. A childs immature system does not respond to exercise in the same way that adults do. That said, we are animals, we need to move, an active child tends to be an active adult, in active adults have inactive children (generalisation I know...). Blaming education & taking part is no use...children are mostly naturally competitive even if you try to tone down the 'winner' aspect of children's activity, believe me I coach kids & they always want to know who was best, first etc.

Interesting points everyone and yes kids nowadays definately need more exersize and a change in their diet with less sugar

By *ophieslutTV/TS  over a year ago

Central

No. We have to get a government that prioritises health and education of the masses to a much higher level.

It would focus evidence based strategies to increase the quality and quantity of the exercise that kids do. This would likely cost more but would be fine as it would be a top priority. It would likely mean that all state funded schools would need to return the ownership of their land back to the public, to more easily enable more use of the land for exercise outdoors.

Schools would deter car use for transportation of kids if home is within 1.5 miles.

By *ittleMissCaliWoman  over a year ago

trouble most likely, or creating it :)

"I dont think my kids know how to climb a tree or build a damn in the river. I was never in. Its so sad to see. X"
my kids do x and I don't get why some dont go out x

By *rmrs1234Couple  over a year ago

Waterford

When you read the sugar content on the packets of foods nowadays its actually crazy. I used to laugh at the hubs when he would say it to me but when i got gestational diabetes and was insulin dependent i had to watch everything i ate i was shocked at the high level content of sugar in everything. I cook the kids meals from scratch as much as i can. takeaways are treat every now and then. they do mma and bjj 5 days a week as well as gaelic football and that in school they are always on the go. my eldest loves her switch but we monitor it more for the mental side of them as opposed to the physical side

By *reya73Woman  over a year ago

Whitley Bay

Ahh Kids need more time to play, connection, free time, nature, creating, take risks, fuck things up, find solutions, active learning, left to get on with it instead of being taxied everywhere and a diary full of clubs and activities. More time just being.

But then again, so do most adults.

Alot of schools do recognise this. My work is centred around this .. embodied active learning, creative and inclusive practice. Rewilding and revisiting developmental stages. Letting children be their own programme of learning. They show us all the time what they need. Part of the problem is adults not noticing.

By *alking HeadMan  over a year ago

Bolton

Sack all PE teachers and dinner ladies, they're obviously shit at their jobs.

Or, just maybe, look at your old school photos and compare them to your kids ones. They aren't that different (apart from the ridiculous hairstyles).

We weren't as obsessed with weight and BMI forty years ago. I'd hate to be a kid nowadays, from what you read in the papers they are either anorexic, grossly overweight, psychotic, or scared to death of going outside. But when you actually talk to them they're pretty normal.

"Sack all PE teachers and dinner ladies, they're obviously shit at their jobs.

Or, just maybe, look at your old school photos and compare them to your kids ones. They aren't that different (apart from the ridiculous hairstyles).

We weren't as obsessed with weight and BMI forty years ago. I'd hate to be a kid nowadays, from what you read in the papers they are either anorexic, grossly overweight, psychotic, or scared to death of going outside. But when you actually talk to them they're pretty normal.

"

More often than not it's people without kids that believe the media hype surrounding kids health because they don't really experience it first hand. I blame the daily mail and similar rubbish. They love a good generalisation... just like the forum folk seem to...

"Sack all PE teachers and dinner ladies, they're obviously shit at their jobs.

More often than not it's people without kids that believe the media hype surrounding kids health because they don't really experience it first hand. I blame the daily mail and similar rubbish. They love a good generalisation... just like the forum folk seem to..."

Yep

I think there's very little to be done without legislation because education isn't helpingYes and I think it is also a change in culture as well.

What culture?"

Shag, a change in what culture?

» Add a new message to this topic