FabSwingers.com

FabSwingers.com > Forums > The Lounge > My cat expert friends!

My cat expert friends!

Jump to: Newest in thread

By *amiss OP   Couple  over a year ago

chelmsford

So looking for a bit of reassurance, again! So Molly started straining to wee and started to pass blood in her wee. I thought water infection. Took her straight to the vets, who thought it was stress, possibly caused by the cats who come into the garden. I was surprised as she is so contented. She is on Lexicom which seems to be working. Urine tests showed no infections or any other problems. Advised a fellaway plug in, which I've just put in, to calm her. Has anyone used these and did it make a difference? Has anyone experience of this condition with their cats? Thank you.

Reply privately, Reply in forum +quote or View forums list

By *lem-H-FandangoMan  over a year ago

salisbury

I used one. Felt like i lost about 16 quid.

chelmsford

"I used one. Felt like i lost about 16 quid. "

£26 from the vets! I'll go on line if it works, Clem

By (user no longer on site)  over a year ago

Feliway permanently installed in our house, cats definitely calmer because of it. Put it near their food so they definitely get exposed to it.

They don't seem to make any difference to our cats.

chelmsford

"Feliway permanently installed in our house, cats definitely calmer because of it. Put it near their food so they definitely get exposed to it."

Thank you

By *atricia ParnelWoman  over a year ago

In a town full of colours

They do work but it can take a while to see any effect depending on the level of stress, use catnip toys as well to help, fingers crossed for you x

chelmsford

"They don't seem to make any difference to our cats."
Love

I don't suppose they work for all, do they, depends on their environment. I'll give it a go, thank you

By *LIRTWITHUSCouple  over a year ago

Chester

No difference to our 3 cats

chelmsford

"They do work but it can take a while to see any effect depending on the level of stress, use catnip toys as well to help, fingers crossed for you x"

Oh thank you, I'll try the toys too

"So looking for a bit of reassurance, again! So Molly started straining to wee and started to pass blood in her wee. I thought water infection. Took her straight to the vets, who thought it was stress, possibly caused by the cats who come into the garden. I was surprised as she is so contented. She is on Lexicom which seems to be working. Urine tests showed no infections or any other problems. Advised a fellaway plug in, which I've just put in, to calm her. Has anyone used these and did it make a difference? Has anyone experience of this condition with their cats? Thank you. "

My cat had very similar symptoms

Along with strange 'ticks' and a weird thing she was doing with her tail.

She looked like she was really in distress

I immediately thought urine infection

Vet said he could find absolutely nothing wrong. Very odd indeed

She was back to her normal self in a few days ( they kept her in for obs)

Still have no idea what was wrong

chelmsford

"No difference to our 3 cats"

Thank you

Why would stress cause cats to pass blood though?

chelmsford

"So looking for a bit of reassurance, again! So Molly started straining to wee and started to pass blood in her wee. I thought water infection. Took her straight to the vets, who thought it was stress, possibly caused by the cats who come into the garden. I was surprised as she is so contented. She is on Lexicom which seems to be working. Urine tests showed no infections or any other problems. Advised a fellaway plug in, which I've just put in, to calm her. Has anyone used these and did it make a difference? Has anyone experience of this condition with their cats? Thank you.

My cat had very similar symptoms

Along with strange 'ticks' and a weird thing she was doing with her tail.

She looked like she was really in distress

I immediately thought urine infection

Vet said he could find absolutely nothing wrong. Very odd indeed

She was back to her normal self in a few days ( they kept her in for obs)

Still have no idea what was wrong"

They do have strange little habits don't they,glad your cat is ok

chelmsford

"Why would stress cause cats to pass blood though?"

Not sure, they said it's inflammation of the bladder, had a read up it seems quite common.

chelmsford

Back later, thanks for all your comments

By *eliciousladyWoman  over a year ago

Sometimes U.K

Sorry to read about your cat, must be upsetting for you.

I’ve used the plug in but didn’t work with my 2 stressed cats, I now prefer to use the calming spray near to their beds.

Also use the cat nip spray by their indoor play tree.

If there are interlopers coming in your garden that might stress her, spread some of her used toilet litter around the boundary.

"Why would stress cause cats to pass blood though?

Not sure, they said it's inflammation of the bladder, had a read up it seems quite common.

"

Thats makes sense

But surely an inflammation would be the sign of infection.

I swear my cat was SO unwell. Unresponsive, having difficulty moving, not going to the toilet at all

Nothing wrong with her!!

I hate that they cant tell you whats wrong!

By *he Queen of TartsWoman  over a year ago
Forum Mod

My Own Little World

Is she an indoor cat that can see others intruding on her territory?

If so you may need to block her seeing them on her patch or even more tricky, almost impossible, keep the others out of your garden.

Or do as I have done, get geese in your back garden, I haven't seen a strange moggy in my garden for years

By *a LunaWoman  over a year ago

South

Bookmarking - thinking of getting the same sort of thing for my dog. He’s constantly “on guard” and barks at anything he sees out of the window.

By *eeleyWoman  over a year ago

Dudley

It helped with our male going after our females, the blood in the urine and straining to go can be crystals blocking the urethra, it's a fairly common thing in certain breeds of cat.

By *urlyCatzWoman  over a year ago

Blackpool

Feliway unfortunately did nothing for any of mine, fosters, ferals or my own. I did find that the rescue remedy helped, I have a friend who rescues and rehomes in Cyprus and she suggested it. It definitely helped the latest stray I homed and also catnip, not the spray as that scares the bejesus out of all of them but dried catnip. Make sure it's stored in a locked cupboard though, 3 of mine will climb you to get at the tub of it. Hope yours calms down, it's heart breaking when you feel you can't help.

By *r MoriartyMan  over a year ago

The Land that time forgot (Norfolk)

Used the fellaway stuff a while ago, it definitely had an effect initially but they seemed to develop an immunity if that's even possible and after a few weeks it seemed to do nothing.

I have no advice to give you for stressed cats, my Coons have never suffered from it, but regarding the bladder infection the key to recovery is hydration. Give Molly only wet food and make sure she has water in a few different places around the house. Boiled and cooled is best, even flavoured water (the spring water from a tuna can is good) or bottled water. On large, flat ceramic plates not plastic and not deep bowls. I hope she feels better soon.

chelmsford

"Sorry to read about your cat, must be upsetting for you.

I’ve used the plug in but didn’t work with my 2 stressed cats, I now prefer to use the calming spray near to their beds.

Also use the cat nip spray by their indoor play tree.

If there are interlopers coming in your garden that might stress her, spread some of her used toilet litter around the boundary. "

Thank you . I was looking at the calming sprays today, they sound like a good idea.She certainly seems a lot more calm this evening. Thank you for the tips

chelmsford

"Why would stress cause cats to pass blood though?

Thats makes sense

But surely an inflammation would be the sign of infection.

I swear my cat was SO unwell. Unresponsive, having difficulty moving, not going to the toilet at all

Nothing wrong with her!!

I hate that they cant tell you whats wrong!"

I would have thought so too. I suppose it's like when we humans are anxious it affects our bodily functions

. I don't understand the bleeding though. Yes it doesn't make sense when they can find nothing wrong, it's worrying, isn't it.

chelmsford

"Is she an indoor cat that can see others intruding on her territory?

If so you may need to block her seeing them on her patch or even more tricky, almost impossible, keep the others out of your garden.

Or do as I have done, get geese in your back garden, I haven't seen a strange moggy in my garden for years "

She's not totally indoors, but only goes out a couple of times a day for 10 minutes. We've had her 18 months and there has always been other cats wandering through and never bothered her. Hubby was wondering about foxes..ooh geese sound like a good idea

chelmsford

"Bookmarking - thinking of getting the same sort of thing for my dog. He’s constantly “on guard” and barks at anything he sees out of the window. "

It's worth a try isn't it

"So looking for a bit of reassurance, again! So Molly started straining to wee and started to pass blood in her wee. I thought water infection. Took her straight to the vets, who thought it was stress, possibly caused by the cats who come into the garden. I was surprised as she is so contented. She is on Lexicom which seems to be working. Urine tests showed no infections or any other problems. Advised a fellaway plug in, which I've just put in, to calm her. Has anyone used these and did it make a difference? Has anyone experience of this condition with their cats? Thank you. "
my cat got a form of acne on his chin and was losing some fur. Vet said it was stressed related and advised feliway. Have to say it really did work on him. He soon got back to normal.

chelmsford

"It helped with our male going after our females, the blood in the urine and straining to go can be crystals blocking the urethra, it's a fairly common thing in certain breeds of cat. "

They did check for crystals in the urine and none there Thank you for that

They should check for bladder crystals if no infection is showing up. If it Carries on then PLEASE insist they check for everything. I had similar problems with one of my cats years ago.

chelmsford

"Feliway unfortunately did nothing for any of mine, fosters, ferals or my own. I did find that the rescue remedy helped, I have a friend who rescues and rehomes in Cyprus and she suggested it. It definitely helped the latest stray I homed and also catnip, not the spray as that scares the bejesus out of all of them but dried catnip. Make sure it's stored in a locked cupboard though, 3 of mine will climb you to get at the tub of it. Hope yours calms down, it's heart breaking when you feel you can't help."

Oh thank you, it has upset me...so catnip has been mentioned a couple of times, I must try that

chelmsford

"Used the fellaway stuff a while ago, it definitely had an effect initially but they seemed to develop an immunity if that's even possible and after a few weeks it seemed to do nothing."

That's worth knowing, I'll see how it goes

chelmsford

"I have no advice to give you for stressed cats, my Coons have never suffered from it, but regarding the bladder infection the key to recovery is hydration. Give Molly only wet food and make sure she has water in a few different places around the house. Boiled and cooled is best, even flavoured water (the spring water from a tuna can is good) or bottled water. On large, flat ceramic plates not plastic and not deep bowls. I hope she feels better soon."

Oh thank you They did suggest to give her only wet food, so that makes sense now, with the hydration. That's interesting about the flat plates, why do you suggest that? Thank you again

chelmsford

"So looking for a bit of reassurance, again! So Molly started straining to wee and started to pass blood in her wee. I thought water infection. Took her straight to the vets, who thought it was stress, possibly caused by the cats who come into the garden. I was surprised as she is so contented. She is on Lexicom which seems to be working. Urine tests showed no infections or any other problems. Advised a fellaway plug in, which I've just put in, to calm her. Has anyone used these and did it make a difference? Has anyone experience of this condition with their cats? Thank you. my cat got a form of acne on his chin and was losing some fur. Vet said it was stressed related and advised feliway. Have to say it really did work on him. He soon got back to normal. "

Oh bless him! That's a good advert then, glad he's better

chelmsford

"They should check for bladder crystals if no infection is showing up. If it Carries on then PLEASE insist they check for everything. I had similar problems with one of my cats years ago. "

Thank you They checked for crystals and nothing there . Didn't realise my little adoptee would cause me so much worry

"They should check for bladder crystals if no infection is showing up. If it Carries on then PLEASE insist they check for everything. I had similar problems with one of my cats years ago. ,

Thank you They checked for crystals and nothing there . Didn't realise my little adoptee would cause me so much worry "

oh God yeah. Mine constantly cause me worry lol. I've got a 19 year old ginger girl who thinks shes still about 5 years old lol. X

chelmsford

"They should check for bladder crystals if no infection is showing up. If it Carries on then PLEASE insist they check for everything. I had similar problems with one of my cats years ago. ,

Thank you They checked for crystals and nothing there . Didn't realise my little adoptee would cause me so much worry oh God yeah. Mine constantly cause me worry lol. I've got a 19 year old ginger girl who thinks shes still about 5 years old lol. X"

Aah how sweet! Didn't realise I wanted a cat until she turned up in our garden with three little kittens. We were just going to foster her for a few days, whilst they separated them, but 18 months later, she's still here . She brings us so much fun and snuggles up with me when I'm sad

Thank you They checked for crystals and nothing there . Didn't realise my little adoptee would cause me so much worry oh God yeah. Mine constantly cause me worry lol. I've got a 19 year old ginger girl who thinks shes still about 5 years old lol. X

Aah how sweet! Didn't realise I wanted a cat until she turned up in our garden with three little kittens. We were just going to foster her for a few days, whilst they separated them, but 18 months later, she's still here . She brings us so much fun and snuggles up with me when I'm sad "

I couldnt live without my 2 cats and 2 dogs. They really are my furbabies. Glad yours keeps you happy xx

chelmsford

Thank you They checked for crystals and nothing there . Didn't realise my little adoptee would cause me so much worry oh God yeah. Mine constantly cause me worry lol. I've got a 19 year old ginger girl who thinks shes still about 5 years old lol. X

Aah how sweet! Didn't realise I wanted a cat until she turned up in our garden with three little kittens. We were just going to foster her for a few days, whilst they separated them, but 18 months later, she's still here . She brings us so much fun and snuggles up with me when I'm sad I couldnt live without my 2 cats and 2 dogs. They really are my furbabies. Glad yours keeps you happy xx"

Me too, I didn't realise I would become so attached to her xx

Aah how sweet! Didn't realise I wanted a cat until she turned up in our garden with three little kittens. We were just going to foster her for a few days, whilst they separated them, but 18 months later, she's still here . She brings us so much fun and snuggles up with me when I'm sad I couldnt live without my 2 cats and 2 dogs. They really are my furbabies. Glad yours keeps you happy xx

Me too, I didn't realise I would become so attached to her xx"

"I have no advice to give you for stressed cats, my Coons have never suffered from it, but regarding the bladder infection the key to recovery is hydration. Give Molly only wet food and make sure she has water in a few different places around the house. Boiled and cooled is best, even flavoured water (the spring water from a tuna can is good) or bottled water. On large, flat ceramic plates not plastic and not deep bowls. I hope she feels better soon.

Oh thank you They did suggest to give her only wet food, so that makes sense now, with the hydration. That's interesting about the flat plates, why do you suggest that? Thank you again "

Cats don't like their whiskers touching the side of a bowl when they drink, according to "experts". I was just trying to suggest any small way of encouraging her to drink as much as possible. Having a UTI probably isn't good for her stress levels. Hope she gets well soon

chelmsford

"I have no advice to give you for stressed cats, my Coons have never suffered from it, but regarding the bladder infection the key to recovery is hydration. Give Molly only wet food and make sure she has water in a few different places around the house. Boiled and cooled is best, even flavoured water (the spring water from a tuna can is good) or bottled water. On large, flat ceramic plates not plastic and not deep bowls. I hope she feels better soon.

Oh thank you They did suggest to give her only wet food, so that makes sense now, with the hydration. That's interesting about the flat plates, why do you suggest that? Thank you again

Cats don't like their whiskers touching the side of a bowl when they drink, according to "experts". I was just trying to suggest any small way of encouraging her to drink as much as possible. Having a UTI probably isn't good for her stress levels. Hope she gets well soon "

Aah, how interesting, I never knew that and thank you. X No uti, but inflammation of the bladder, equally as uncomfortable, I would imagine.She seems a lot happier this evening

Cats don't like their whiskers touching the side of a bowl when they drink, according to "experts". I was just trying to suggest any small way of encouraging her to drink as much as possible. Having a UTI probably isn't good for her stress levels. Hope she gets well soon

Aah, how interesting, I never knew that and thank you. X No uti, but inflammation of the bladder, equally as uncomfortable, I would imagine.She seems a lot happier this evening "

That's good to hear. I'm overjoyed - I'll be going back home to see my cats in a few weeks time I haven't seen them since Christmas

chelmsford

Aah, how interesting, I never knew that and thank you. X No uti, but inflammation of the bladder, equally as uncomfortable, I would imagine.She seems a lot happier this evening

That's good to hear. I'm overjoyed - I'll be going back home to see my cats in a few weeks time I haven't seen them since Christmas "

Thank you. Gosh you must miss them!

That's good to hear. I'm overjoyed - I'll be going back home to see my cats in a few weeks time I haven't seen them since Christmas

Thank you. Gosh you must miss them!"

I really do (but don't tell anyone, I skype them every couple of nights )

chelmsford

Thank you. Gosh you must miss them!

I really do (but don't tell anyone, I skype them every couple of nights )"

Hahaha! I love that

chelmsford

Just an update on Molly. A lot calmer this morning, no stained wee. Thanks for all the tips, going to put those into action.Many thanks to all you cat loving people! xx

"Just an update on Molly. A lot calmer this morning, no stained wee. Thanks for all the tips, going to put those into action.Many thanks to all you cat loving people! xx"

chelmsford

"Just an update on Molly. A lot calmer this morning, no stained wee. Thanks for all the tips, going to put those into action.Many thanks to all you cat loving people! xx "

x

By *eliciousladyWoman  over a year ago

Sometimes U.K

"Just an update on Molly. A lot calmer this morning, no stained wee. Many thanks to all you cat loving people! xx"

So pleased she’s calmer, it’s a worry when any of our pets aren’t their usual selves xx

chelmsford

"Just an update on Molly. A lot calmer this morning, no stained wee. Many thanks to all you cat loving people! xx

So pleased she’s calmer, it’s a worry when any of our pets aren’t their usual selves xx"

Aah thank you I think the Fellaway is working, she's sparko on the sofa

It could be crystals in the urethal tubes..one of our cats had this and ended up having 2 operations..

We were advised to change his diet and we now use purina sensitive biscuits. Not had any issues since..in dogs giving extra vitamin c helps.

chelmsford

"It could be crystals in the urethal tubes..one of our cats had this and ended up having 2 operations..

We were advised to change his diet and we now use purina sensitive biscuits. Not had any issues since..in dogs giving extra vitamin c helps."

Thank you for replying. They done several tests on her urine and no crystals thankfully

it

They've put it down to stress, as of today, there is no blood and she's lovely and calm today.

» Add a new message to this topic