FabSwingers.com

FabSwingers.com > Forums > The Lounge > Forum running club week 4

Forum running club week 4

Jump to: Newest in thread

By *ikeC81 OP   Man  over a year ago

harrow

It’s a Sunday and it’s the day of rest unless you’re a runner which normally means long run day

(Not for me yet)

Anyway new thread. For those that have been lurking and not sure weather to post or not please join in. There is a mixture of abilities here, and even if you are a non runner that wants to start come and join in.

We were all non runners at some point!!!!

Reply privately, Reply in forum +quote or View forums list

By *viatrixWoman  over a year ago

Redhill

Morning... *yawn*

Exhausted... but 10 miles today for me. Having my coffee in a minute.

I picked up a 10k champion prize at my athletics club awards evening last night so that keeps me motivated!

Enjoy your runs today everyone! x

harrow

"Morning... *yawn*

I picked up a 10k champion prize at my athletics club awards evening last night so that keeps me motivated!

Enjoy your runs today everyone! x "

10 miles the only time I will do that is on the tube lmao!!!!!

By (user no longer on site)  over a year ago

Not a LR but a uphill off road, head torch run for me. The pub will be calling me afterwards

Bring on the peak district later tonight...... can’t wait.

Just having breakfast, then I head out in about an hour.

"Morning... *yawn*

"

You say that now but give it a few more months...

harrow

"Morning... *yawn*

You say that now but give it a few more months..."

Lol nooooo that does scare me mate!!!!

Tbh actually the 10k is something that I think with training this year I should manage.

I must say 5km I am still finding challenging but my recovery is improving and mental side. If I had tried to do 5km with a cold 3 months ago I would have probably given up after 2km if that.

My goal of sub 28 min 5km looks achievable by end of March if not quicker. Looking at my splits even a sub 27 looks achievable by June or July.

Even last autumn if some said you will in January run a 6km and run a 28.39 at a park run I would have said no way. I have done it!!!!

For me I have never been a runner so even a 3 second improvement in pace or a reduced heart rate is good. Also it helps with mental fitness

By *viatrixWoman  over a year ago

Redhill

10 miles done, post run coffee d*unk and malted toast with cream cheese and blueberry jam eaten.

In a bit of pain but feeling fitter!

By *istressZoeTV/TS  over a year ago

cheshire

Park run yesterday in 24min

Bearing down for a 23 min something next week

Rest day today but completed 9 k walk in hour and half x

By *ittyandtheboyCouple  over a year ago

Back of the bins.

The Boy is currently on a run streak of 19! Kitty has already smashed her 5k pr Pb this year!

By *ocusMan  over a year ago

Cambridge

Did my LR yesterday. Only 10km but aiming to build up and get back to regular 10 milers.

Started doing callisthenics recently to add a bit of core and leg strength. Just a quick but intensive 15 minute routine. Certainly helping and doing two reps most days (still figuring out if I should rest that on running days).

"Morning... *yawn*

You say that now but give it a few more months...

Lol nooooo that does scare me mate!!!!

Tbh actually the 10k is something that I think with training this year I should manage.

I must say 5km I am still finding challenging but my recovery is improving and mental side. If I had tried to do 5km with a cold 3 months ago I would have probably given up after 2km if that.

My goal of sub 28 min 5km looks achievable by end of March if not quicker. Looking at my splits even a sub 27 looks achievable by June or July.

Even last autumn if some said you will in January run a 6km and run a 28.39 at a park run I would have said no way. I have done it!!!!

For me I have never been a runner so even a 3 second improvement in pace or a reduced heart rate is good. Also it helps with mental fitness

"

Look just accept you are going to run a marathon within the next couple of years. There's no point fighting it, it's your destiny

[Removed by poster at 19/01/20 14:50:37]

"

Look just accept you are going to run a marathon within the next couple of years. There's no point fighting it, it's your destiny

"

. ^This. I swore I was never going to run anything longer than a half marathon, I then registered for one marathon saying I just wanted to tick the box. I ended up running 6 that year .

I'm no longer that silly but running is weirdly addictive. Once you can run an hour non-stop and forget you're actually exercising you'll be hooked.

By *ubsteffTV/TS  over a year ago

Portsmouth

I’m currently recuperating from an ACL reconstruction so running is a few months away from me at the moment

By *ikingpairCouple  over a year ago

Cambridge

"

. ^This. I swore I was never going to run anything longer than a half marathon, I then registered for one marathon saying I just wanted to tick the box. I ended up running 6 that year .

I'm no longer that silly but running is weirdly addictive. Once you can run an hour non-stop and forget you're actually exercising you'll be hooked."

I've never got to that stage although did a half marathon last year. But it definitely felt like exercise!!

By *ikingpairCouple  over a year ago

Cambridge

Did 8k this morning. Working up to doing 10k as my long run each week.

Cambridge

I accidentally kept up with my wife’s marathon training a couple of years ago. Friends urged me to enter but I successfully resisted. A full marathon would be too much presume for me.

[Removed by poster at 20/01/20 10:42:35]

Going to run home tonight. Depending on how i feel, it'll be between 5k and 10k

"I accidentally kept up with my wife’s marathon training a couple of years ago. Friends urged me to enter but I successfully resisted. A full marathon would be too much presume for me."

The pressure of training cracked me more than once before I actually started my first one. Still cant follow a particularly strict plan or it becomes a stick to beat myself up with

So I joined a running club. And then joined their strava group. Amd now my 25 miles a week feels very ordinary!! its interesting how the perception of what a lot of training is changes over time

"So I joined a running club. And then joined their strava group. Amd now my 25 miles a week feels very ordinary!! its interesting how the perception of what a lot of training is changes over time "

You should stay away from some of the Facebook and Instagram running communities then. There's a usually always a running mileage challenge going.

harrow

I have had a bloody man cold last few day so in bed yesterday and today. Doubt I will run anything other than park on Saturday...just deciding where to go

"So I joined a running club. And then joined their strava group. Amd now my 25 miles a week feels very ordinary!! its interesting how the perception of what a lot of training is changes over time "

I hear you, I was running ultras a few years back, and even my 80 miles/week often looked pathetic!

Struggle with parkrun now, so steering well clear of those groups!!

By *reya73Woman  over a year ago

Whitley Bay

Hello fellow runners .. Ive been running for a 3 months now and im finding I'm getting a few niggly complaints in my hip, knee and achilles. I run on trail ground rather than concrete. I vary pace and distance according to my flow (I run between 3-10k, want to increase).

I wonder if I either simply need better trainers or improve my core technique/strength so im lessening the impact on my legs.

Thoughts/advice welcome please x

"Hello fellow runners .. Ive been running for a 3 months now and im finding I'm getting a few niggly complaints in my hip, knee and achilles. I run on trail ground rather than concrete. I vary pace and distance according to my flow (I run between 3-10k, want to increase).

I wonder if I either simply need better trainers or improve my core technique/strength so im lessening the impact on my legs.

Thoughts/advice welcome please x "

Did you have your gait assessed on a treadmill before you got your trainers, or did you just buy "off the shelf"?

I'd always advise proper assessment by someone qualified in a "proper" running establishment.

Core strength training is a definite help regardless, especially as you look to be increase distance.

And don't forget rest days, give your body chance to recover and get stronger

By *reya73Woman  over a year ago

Whitley Bay

"Hello fellow runners .. Ive been running for a 3 months now and im finding I'm getting a few niggly complaints in my hip, knee and achilles. I run on trail ground rather than concrete. I vary pace and distance according to my flow (I run between 3-10k, want to increase).

Did you have your gait assessed on a treadmill before you got your trainers, or did you just buy "off the shelf"?

I'd always advise proper assessment by someone qualified in a "proper" running establishment.

Core strength training is a definite help regardless, especially as you look to be increase distance.

And don't forget rest days, give your body chance to recover and get stronger"

Thanks.. no my trainers were in the sale of the shelf! They are Nike running trainers but maybe more treadmill than outdoors.

Thank you.. good advice x

And don't forget rest days, give your body chance to recover and get stronger

Thanks.. no my trainers were in the sale of the shelf! They are Nike running trainers but maybe more treadmill than outdoors.

Thank you.. good advice x "

Yw

If you've had your current trainers a while, check the wear on the bottom at the back. If it's even across the width of the shoe, then you're probably ok, as your foot will be landing flat, but if it's much more worn on one side than the other, then you are over/under pronating (depending which side is more worn), and hence might need a shoe that provides a bit of extra support

Thoughts/advice welcome please x "

Hi Freya, if it's Trails you are running on then it's all about the core. Foot strike, pronation etc mostly only applies in road running. On the trails it's about ankle flexibility, core strength and quads. On trails I rotate between 2 pairs of Adidas Kanadias which are fairly cheap and they've served me for years.

So my roundabout answer is "both", good shoes and a strong core

harrow

Tbh I need a new pair for running and actually I was speaking with bike monkey about this on social media

I haven’t actually ever had gait measured or checked how I run. So it is one of the things that I may do after my park run on Saturday is to go in to London to get it done.

My shoes always ware at the heel, so I have already assumed that I am striking ground to hard. I have started to wear insoles to help the pressure on balls of feet. As I know I had an issue with this when I ran in the gym.

I am planning to do southwark Park run on Saturday. Depending how I feel after work tomorrow I may to a gym session - no running just general weights and crunch’s

Today whilst I am coughing I feel more on planet earth than I did Sunday and Monday so let’s see how I feel in the Morning

"Tbh I need a new pair for running and actually I was speaking with bike monkey about this on social media

I haven’t actually ever had gait measured or checked how I run. So it is one of the things that I may do after my park run on Saturday is to go in to London to get it done.

My shoes always ware at the heel, so I have already assumed that I am striking ground to hard. I have started to wear insoles to help the pressure on balls of feet. As I know I had an issue with this when I ran in the gym.

I am planning to do southwark Park run on Saturday. Depending how I feel after work tomorrow I may to a gym session - no running just general weights and crunch’s

Today whilst I am coughing I feel more on planet earth than I did Sunday and Monday so let’s see how I feel in the Morning "

I'm fighting the lurgy too, so I feel your pain

harrow

"Tbh I need a new pair for running and actually I was speaking with bike monkey about this on social media

Today whilst I am coughing I feel more on planet earth than I did Sunday and Monday so let’s see how I feel in the Morning

I'm fighting the lurgy too, so I feel your pain "

Been of work for two days with it. Started end of last week, thought I would be ok just doing park run on Saturday and chilling for rest of weekend. By Sunday night coughing like a trooper. It has got a bit better today still but nowhere near perfect

I am getting frustrated that I cant even do a couple of km tomorrow but not worth the risk. Being sensible is the key. So I am watching loads of running videos instead

harrow

Oooo I was having a look at my heart rate levels between my first and most current race

So I have shaved 3 mins off my time and my heart rate zones are the same % - that shows me that i must be getting fitter

Did a sport of trail running again tonight 5 miles. But had a little slip on a very muddy and undulating single track on a very steep edge. Ended up on my right hand side. Very mucky and my ass now hurts as well as my left elbow how does my left elbow hurt ?

Great run though. So much fun and one river crossing too.

Cambridge

Did around 8km last night. Lovely cold evening.

Cambridge

Been surprised how easy it has been to up the distance so quickly, I think the callisthenics is really helping. I do 2 reps a day, only one on a running day so as not to overdo it. I’m restricting calories and portion sizes so it’s a careful balance not ending up with a blood sugar crash doing too much and eating too little.

Cambridge

7km done. Slightly faster pace than usual. Really wasn’t feeling it when I set off but really got into it after a while.

By *oubleCookieeWoman  over a year ago

West Bromwich

First 2020 half marathon race completed on Sunday. I have a target of 2020km this year, currently on 117k haha. Weather currently a big challenge due to my work hours

By *uke OzadeMan  over a year ago

Ho Chi Minge City

"First 2020 half marathon race completed on Sunday. I have a target of 2020km this year, currently on 117k haha. Weather currently a big challenge due to my work hours "

Fucking hell thats some going!! No wonder you look so appealing!

"First 2020 half marathon race completed on Sunday. I have a target of 2020km this year, currently on 117k haha. Weather currently a big challenge due to my work hours "

Nice work! My first HM is in March, though I have a long run planned for this weekend.

Hi Freya, if it's Trails you are running on then it's all about the core. Foot strike, pronation etc mostly only applies in road running. On the trails it's about ankle flexibility, core strength and quads. On trails I rotate between 2 pairs of Adidas Kanadias which are fairly cheap and they've served me for years.

So my roundabout answer is "both", good shoes and a strong core "

Yes agree. Get some trail shoes, much more grip too so you’re less likely to have a fall. And enjoy

harrow

Well I have been told my feet overpronation from my gait analysis that I got done this evening which explain some of the running niggles I have had over the years

The suggestion is that I get some support trainers

By *elfastblondMan  over a year ago

Belfast

It's great to see so many of the fab running club back with a new forum?

harrow

"Well I have been told my feet overpronation from my gait analysis that I got done this evening which explain some of the running niggles I have had over the years

The suggestion is that I get some support trainers

"

Southwark park run for me tomorrow- can’t wait but will use old trainers till pay day

Cambridge

Crikey! My running shoes are coming up to almost 2000km according to Strava. Better change them I guess

Still no running for me, at least another 5 weeks

"Crikey! My running shoes are coming up to almost 2000km according to Strava. Better change them I guess "

I wouldn't dare! My shoes usually don't make it to 400km. I run an average of about 400km a month and switch between 3 different pairs of shoes. But by 400km the soles have worn down to the bone ad running any further in them usually causes injury.

So I typically add a new pair to the rotation every 2 months or so

harrow

Gutted - not being well all week took its toll and no training. Had to stop at 3.3km absolutely gutted just not well enough to complete. Just mentally a mess!!!!! Will have to do this again. No energy in legs at all

"Gutted - not being well all week took its toll and no training. Had to stop at 3.3km absolutely gutted just not well enough to complete. Just mentally a mess!!!!! Will have to do this again. No energy in legs at all"

Don't worry about it, illness hits us all from time to time, leaving us drained and lacking energy. Recover well, then get back on it

harrow

"Gutted - not being well all week took its toll and no training. Had to stop at 3.3km absolutely gutted just not well enough to complete. Just mentally a mess!!!!! Will have to do this again. No energy in legs at all

Don't worry about it, illness hits us all from time to time, leaving us drained and lacking energy. Recover well, then get back on it"

I am was gutted but actually looking at the first 3km it was 6.03 a km which was good pace and time, one positive I will try and do a longer slower run tomorrow to see what I have

By *LOVEpinacoladasWoman  over a year ago

East Sussex

"Gutted - not being well all week took its toll and no training. Had to stop at 3.3km absolutely gutted just not well enough to complete. Just mentally a mess!!!!! Will have to do this again. No energy in legs at all

Don't worry about it, illness hits us all from time to time, leaving us drained and lacking energy. Recover well, then get back on it

I am was gutted but actually looking at the first 3km it was 6.03 a km which was good pace and time, one positive I will try and do a longer slower run tomorrow to see what I have "

That's a great pace! Rest is really important - you've got to listen to your body and what it's telling you. Hope the run tomorrow is enjoyable.

Went for a hilly 6k this morning (as hilly as SE London gets anyhow!), I can feel my stamina improving and I'm not dying quite so badly by the top of the inclines...

24.38 this morning. More than happy with that given my current training is leaving me shattered.

harrow

I am was gutted but actually looking at the first 3km it was 6.03 a km which was good pace and time, one positive I will try and do a longer slower run tomorrow to see what I have

That's a great pace! Rest is really important - you've got to listen to your body and what it's telling you. Hope the run tomorrow is enjoyable.

Went for a hilly 6k this morning (as hilly as SE London gets anyhow!), I can feel my stamina improving and I'm not dying quite so badly by the top of the inclines..."

Tbh i wanst out of breath just had no energy. The breath side of things is the one that normally gets me. But I have learnt from this maybe need to adjust my morning eating habits slightly

By *r_FaustusMan  over a year ago

Northampton

Steady 7km this morning

Anyone going to the National Running Show @ NEC tomorrow (Sun)?

harrow

After yesterday’s failure I have done my first of 3km. This morning. Training for my home park run. This is a bit different and not flat like the runs I am used to doing. The pace is good and heart rate zones felt good as well. Let’s see if I can do another couple of km to get to 5km today!!!! Look on the positive side of things. 18.17 for a 3km. Happy with the pace for a not flat course

By *uperted03Man  over a year ago

swansea

2.5hr run for me today. Been a light week this week but going to be a heavy one next week.

"2.5hr run for me today. Been a light week this week but going to be a heavy one next week. "

I have a 2 hour run, too soon for the dreaded 20 milers yet.

harrow

"After yesterday’s failure I have done my first of 3km. This morning. Training for my home park run. This is a bit different and not flat like the runs I am used to doing. The pace is good and heart rate zones felt good as well. Let’s see if I can do another couple of km to get to 5km today!!!! Look on the positive side of things. 18.17 for a 3km. Happy with the pace for a not flat course "

To work on my core decided to go to the gym, and work do some kettle swings and some weights. First time for nearly a year taht I have done that and actually felt ok!!!!

Hard work but with my cardio fitness and improv ring core my fitness should come back

Does anyone sit around for hours waiting to go to the toilet before their run?

Cambridge

Did 10km yesterday. About 2mins quicker than last week at 1h01m. Soon be back into the 50s.

harrow

This is the last post new thread up

» Add a new message to this topic