FabSwingers.com

FabSwingers.com > Forums > The Lounge > Hospitals

Hospitals

Jump to: Newest in thread

By (user no longer on site) OP     over a year ago

My mother has been waiting in hospital for a bed since 12:30 pm today. Its 9 pm now and still no bed.

I didn't expect it to be like this

Reply privately, Reply in forum +quote or View forums list

By (user no longer on site)  over a year ago

That’s awful sorry to hear hope she gets one soon!

By *ex HolesMan  over a year ago

Up North

Ive just come back from visiting in the hospital and the one I went to was pretty good. However I’ve heard some horror stories from different hospitals around the borough.

By *uxom redCouple  over a year ago

Shrewsbury

That's awful the hear but what did you honestly expect?.

my neighbour was taken to a&e and had to wait 16 hours for a bed a few weeks ago

"That's awful the hear but what did you honestly expect?.

"

I didn't expect her to be waiting in a wheel chair with a tube up her nose for so many hours.

That's terrible mate, hope she gets better soon.

I took mum to A and E on the advice from the ambulance crew we got there at 12:30 and left at 10:30 the Dr and nurses were so busy. Crews waiting to hand over but no room to hand them over all aspects of the system is overloaded. I work for logistics and we cannot get enough staff

By *elma and ShaggyCouple  over a year ago

Bedworth

Sadly our nhs is grossly underfunded.

My mum has got MS. The other day she had a fall at home, landed awkwardly on her leg. My dad and sister couldn’t get her up and we’re concerned about any damage to the leg. They phoned for an ambulance, waited 2.5 hours! Fortunately for mum, there wasn’t any serious injury and the ambulance staff were able to patch her up and get her off the floor and comfortable at home.

I hope your mum gets settled in a bed soon and recovers quickly

I hope she gets a bed and better soon OP but seriously nowadays can be waiting much longer than that unfortunately ... my dad had to wait on a trolley in A&E for over 36 hours once to be admitted for a bed

By *naswingdressWoman  over a year ago

Manchester (she/her)

I'm sorry.

Shrewsbury

I didn't expect her to be waiting in a wheel chair with a tube up her nose for so many hours. "

Sadly it's a very busy time of year. There's not enough staff or beds at the best of times.

Hopefully your mum will get better soon.

By *rmrs1234Couple  over a year ago

Waterford

Worse in ireland. Its chronic. Hope your mum will be ok

You think that's bad op.. The wait over here can be up to 70/80 hours f on a trolly before you even can get a bed in a ward.. Last week in this small country of hours between approx 8 hospitals the daily no on trolleys reached 760 peeps.. In fact a few months ago a patient fell off his trolly and broke his neck and died..

By *arksxMan  over a year ago

Leicester / London

"Sadly our nhs is grossly underfunded.

My mum has got MS. The other day she had a fall at home, landed awkwardly on her leg. My dad and sister couldn’t get her up and we’re concerned about any damage to the leg. They phoned for an ambulance, waited 2.5 hours! Fortunately for mum, there wasn’t any serious injury and the ambulance staff were able to patch her up and get her off the floor and comfortable at home.

I hope your mum gets settled in a bed soon and recovers quickly "

The NHS is (satisfactorily funded) if they cut down on the amount of managers and bureaucratic departments they would be more money for treatments

That sad I think I can say for everyone bad time to hear about yours and ops mums

Hope they both feel better soon.

That's terrible and so sad. I hope your mum is okay.

By *nabelle21Woman  over a year ago

B38

Sorry to hear that mickey ..hope she will be ok x

"The NHS is (satisfactorily funded) if they cut down on the amount of managers and bureaucratic departments they would be more money for treatments

"

It's really not. Funding has been cut or frozen year on year for the last decade. Is there waste? Yes, of course there is. Could savings be made? Quite possibly. Are there too many managers and bureaucrats? I dunno - There's a lot of paperwork involved in managing the healthcare needs of an entire country. In any case, a lot of the bureaucracy is forced onto departments by the same people who cut the funding. It's almost as if they want it to fail...

Leicester / London

"The NHS is (satisfactorily funded) if they cut down on the amount of managers and bureaucratic departments they would be more money for treatments

It's really not. Funding has been cut or frozen year on year for the last decade. Is there waste? Yes, of course there is. Could savings be made? Quite possibly. Are there too many managers and bureaucrats? I dunno - There's a lot of paperwork involved in managing the healthcare needs of an entire country. In any case, a lot of the bureaucracy is forced onto departments by the same people who cut the funding. It's almost as if they want it to fail... "

I would agree with lots of those point including is the NHS being stitched up... Probably

Funding towards the NHS has been high for a long time. Billions where thrown at by Labour alot of that wasted on managers and consultantcy rather than front life staff and equipment.

You might enjoy this... https://youtu.be/0ukbJKWwCYM

Some interesting comments amongst the usually dirge

I didn't expect her to be waiting in a wheel chair with a tube up her nose for so many hours. "

I hope she gets well soon lovely xxxxxx

"My mother has been waiting in hospital for a bed since 12:30 pm today. Its 9 pm now and still no bed.

I didn't expect it to be like this "

Hopefully one will become available soon.x

The NHS is in bits, they've failed my daughter constantly over the years and even more so now, it's shit as there's nothing you can do.

Thanks everyone and sorry about your troubles.

She's been given a stretcher now.

By *ara JTV/TS  over a year ago

Bristol East

"

The NHS is (satisfactorily funded) if they cut down on the amount of managers and bureaucratic departments they would be more money for treatments

"

That's just rhetoric being regurgitated.

The number of NHS hospital beds has more than halved over the last 30 years, while the population has increased.

More people needing care in fewer and fewer beds leads to cases like the OP.

Sorry to hear about your mum but unfortunately lots of people use the NHS when they don't need to and it has a knock on effect.

Anyone that needs seeing urgently is seen to. Without the NHS it would be much worse

"My mother has been waiting in hospital for a bed since 12:30 pm today. Its 9 pm now and still no bed.

Oh no! So sorry to hear about your Mum

Can't comment on what is going on with the NHS but I hope she isn't waiting much longer

Leicester / London

"

The number of NHS hospital beds has more than halved over the last 30 years, while the population has increased.

"

"Population has increased"

From what time period if you are referring from labour's period of power uk population has nudge up a couple of million

Of that how much of them require (hospitalisation)

more people need care?

old people and required care, that is is not the same as needkbg a bed in AE

Your are claim this is rhetoric whilst providing no evidence.

I'm all for reasoned debate and even learning something.

Misinformation is another thing.

There is no one size fits all but the size of the management in the NHS is way to big.

Not unlike most big organisations

Leicester / London

"Thanks everyone and sorry about your troubles.

She's been given a stretcher now. "

Glad to hear things moved on OP

It's tough but think some else must have really need it just as much as your mum for her to wait that long

"

Anyone that needs seeing urgently is seen to"

I disagree, 18 months and still no appointment for my daughter, severe autism, Tourettes, psychosis, functional neurological disorder, 11 attempts to take her own life in the last 18 months, all because her medication is no longer effective. All I get told is you're in a queue and will have to wait.

And she's going down hill at a rapid rate, she'll either kill herself or end up being sectioned again because they failed to help her.

By *affron40Woman  over a year ago

manchester

"

Anyone that needs seeing urgently is seen to

I disagree, 18 months and still no appointment for my daughter, severe autism, Tourettes, psychosis, functional neurological disorder, 11 attempts to take her own life in the last 18 months, all because her medication is no longer effective. All I get told is you're in a queue and will have to wait.

And she's going down hill at a rapid rate, she'll either kill herself or end up being sectioned again because they failed to help her."

That’s horrific. Sorry for you all

People in the waiting room told me that there have been patients waiting in ambulances outside for hours.

This is ridiculous.. The NHS needs sorting out ASAP.

By *naswingdressWoman  over a year ago

Manchester (she/her)

"

And she's going down hill at a rapid rate, she'll either kill herself or end up being sectioned again because they failed to help her."

Psych services are particularly strained. It's awful.

By *ENGUYMan  over a year ago

Hull

I know that in my home town of Hull, a few weeks ago, the local A&E had to urge people not to show up, unless an emergency, as the dept was choc a bloc.

There were at one point almost 30 ambulances & crews queuing up outside waiting to get patients booked in.

Problem is many people use A&E for minor or trivial matters.

EG, a friend of mine is an A&E nurse, who assists with Triage, assessing people as they arrive. She has intercepted people with broken finger nails (10 seconds with nail clippers sorted them); minor cuts and bruises (only needing an adhesive plaster); coughs and colds (sent to a pharmacy) and other ailments which if only people used their brains, they didn't have to attend A&E.

By *asmeenTV/TS  over a year ago

STOKE ON TRENT

Is your mum OK xxxx

By *lame2000Woman  over a year ago

Limerick

"my neighbour was taken to a&e and had to wait 16 hours for a bed a few weeks ago "

16 hours would be a miracle in a lot of hospitals over here. More like days rather than hours here - regardless of age, which is just cruel.

By *mmmMaybeCouple  over a year ago

West Wales

We moved from the S.East last year & this week has been our first need for A&E (on Drs advice) for our daughter (12) who only has one kidney due to having cancer when younger.

We hope it’s the last. One & a half hours for an ambulance. Back in Essex the first thing they’d do is go for bloods. This didn’t happen for ten hours even after we’d told them she’d kept little down including water for two days. As soon as the cannula went in & the blood didn’t flow the Dr said “Have you been drinking properly” at that point I’d had enough & ripped into them asking whether they actually bothered to read the notes given them?

Up to that point she was given no more than Calpol & apple squash which she immediately threw up. So they just left her an hour & tried again & she threw up again. Eventually they gave up & put a drip in after I bit their heads off.

Now seeing as she’s been ten years with one kidney she’s obviously been ill before. Back in Essex simply because she has one kidney & it needs protecting the first thing they do is bloods then it’s straight onto a saline drip to keep her hydrated. Here it was almost like they didn’t want to spend anymore than was absolutely necessary instead of giving the patient the best possible care.

It has left rather a sour taste tbh.

I hope your mum is now sorted for a bed & hope her stay in will be as short as possible.

& before anyone says “It’s not the people working in it” I know, but the two similar scenarios (& illnesses) with massively different treatments doesn’t just come from “available funding”.

S

By *ophieslutTV/TS  over a year ago

Central

It's been underfunded since 2010 and the new government will continue, in all likelihood, in the same way.

I was in a&e from lunch until late at night a few weeks ago. It was awful, with elderly people etc brought in and left to hope for the best.

Is your mum OK xxxx"

Yes thanks. I was talking to her earlier.

By *asmeenTV/TS  over a year ago

STOKE ON TRENT

Is your mum OK xxxx

Yes thanks. I was talking to her earlier. "

Great xx

Sounds terrible in Ireland

We moved from the S.East last year & this week has been our first need for A&E (on Drs advice) for our daughter (12) who only has one kidney due to having cancer when younger.

We hope it’s the last. One & a half hours for an ambulance. Back in Essex the first thing they’d do is go for bloods. This didn’t happen for ten hours even after we’d told them she’d kept little down including water for two days. As soon as the cannula went in & the blood didn’t flow the Dr said “Have you been drinking properly” at that point I’d had enough & ripped into them asking whether they actually bothered to read the notes given them?

Up to that point she was given no more than Calpol & apple squash which she immediately threw up. So they just left her an hour & tried again & she threw up again. Eventually they gave up & put a drip in after I bit their heads off.

Now seeing as she’s been ten years with one kidney she’s obviously been ill before. Back in Essex simply because she has one kidney & it needs protecting the first thing they do is bloods then it’s straight onto a saline drip to keep her hydrated. Here it was almost like they didn’t want to spend anymore than was absolutely necessary instead of giving the patient the best possible care.

It has left rather a sour taste tbh.

I hope your mum is now sorted for a bed & hope her stay in will be as short as possible.

& before anyone says “It’s not the people working in it” I know, but the two similar scenarios (& illnesses) with massively different treatments doesn’t just come from “available funding”.

S"

Sorry to hear that.

Unfortunately I can sympathise, in Antrim we have one of the worst performing A & E depts in the UK. Not the staff's fault, they do an incredible job, blame is firmly at the government's door

"

I'm so sorry to hear this, I hope somehow she manages to get the treatment she needs ASAP xxxx

Working within the NHS it's all down to staffing number, lack of beds and an increase in waste of time calls!

I worked today and had a to queue behind another 10 ambulances before being able to take a patient in to A&E! It is only going to get worse while budgets and staffing levels are cut and cut and cut

By *iss_tressWoman  over a year ago

London

I had preeclampsia and my son had to be delivered. The community midwife called the ambulance around 1pm and I was taken to my local hospital in Dulwich but they didn't have the facility for a premature baby.

There wasn't a hospital bed and special care baby unit in the WHOLE of London for both of us. Eventually he was delivered at 23.57...that was 30 years ago.

What a crying shame things haven't improved.

Trust your mum makes a speedy recovery.

Bristol East

"

Your are claim this is rhetoric whilst providing no evidence.

I'm all for reasoned debate and even learning something.

"

In 1991, the population of England was 48 million. In 2018, it was 55 million.

In the same period, the number of NHS hospital beds has more than halved.

You do the maths.

By *cloversCouple  over a year ago

Hull

Sorry to hear of anyone's problems in getting the help they need when they need it from all areas of the NHS

As a personal plea though - for everyone of us who works in the system- we do honestly work terribly hard to do the best we can do. I worked near enough an extra 5 hrs after my shift should've ended yesterday - I wont get paid for it. I may get some of those hours back but realistically I prob wont

Bristol East

The NHS is full of amazing people doing a fantastic job.

By *acey_RedWoman  over a year ago

Liverpool

"

"

This! And we told them this would happen. They told us more people would be treated in the community and they would make improveme he to social care to free up beds. It would almost be funny if it wasn't such a dire situation. So many operations get cancelled each day due to their not being a bed for them afterwards. A whole theatre staffed and ready to operate but cancelled due to no beds!

By *acey_RedWoman  over a year ago

Liverpool

OP I'm really sorry to hear about your mum and it breaks my heart to read others stories too. I've worked in the NHS since I was 18 (8 years) and seen things deteriorate in such a depressing way. I've been reducing my hours over the last couple of years to start my own business instead and while there are many aspects of my job I will miss, watching the NHS being destroyed around me is something I'll be glad to be free from as it's a hard thing to watch every day and take blow after blow to the service you're trying so hard to provide. I just pray things are improved before it's too late and everything is sold off to private providers. Virgin care are making an absolute shambles of the services they have taken over in my region.

Shrewsbury

How is your mum this morning op?

By *arracksCouple  over a year ago

Deal

"Sorry to hear of anyone's problems in getting the help they need when they need it from all areas of the NHS

As a personal plea though - for everyone of us who works in the system- we do honestly work terribly hard to do the best we can do. I worked near enough an extra 5 hrs after my shift should've ended yesterday - I wont get paid for it. I may get some of those hours back but realistically I prob wont

Snap,reason we all work for the NHS is we want to care for other people,and despite the very challenging conditions atm,that's what we do...

"

"How is your mum this morning op? "

Okay thanks. They still haven't found a bed but atleast she has a stretcher.

"How is your mum this morning op?

Okay thanks. They still haven't found a bed but atleast she has a stretcher."

Which is more than many who have been waiting. I haven't been to a hospital for years and I never remember it like this.

Okay thanks. They still haven't found a bed but atleast she has a stretcher."

That's so awful! I really feel for you all. I hope she gets a bed soon. I'm sure they are doing all that they can.

Okay thanks. They still haven't found a bed but atleast she has a stretcher.

That's so awful! I really feel for you all. I hope she gets a bed soon. I'm sure they are doing all that they can. "

Yes the staff are brilliant.

I was in hospital Tuesday after an incident. I was admitted at 11am and finally got into a bed at 1:40am.

The staff were absolutely superb, despite being completely overran

By *cloversCouple  over a year ago

Hull

Hope your mum.is on the mend & shes getting the care she needs x

Last weekend i waited 22 hours for a hospital bed to become vacant for me.. in the end i discharged myself

By *abs..Woman  over a year ago

Unfortunately A&E can be filled with people that don’t need to be there. It’s a strain that impacts on some very poorly people. The same people also blame other people for clogging up the system because they don’t see themselves as being part of the problem. It’s a sign of the times, the ‘now’ society.

» Add a new message to this topic