FabSwingers.com

FabSwingers.com > Forums > The Lounge > Kill/Cull Deer to prevent Global Warming

Kill/Cull Deer to prevent Global Warming

Jump to: Newest in thread

By (user no longer on site) OP     over a year ago

The report, published by Scottish Environment Link (SEL), which includes the John Muir Trust, the National Trust for Scotland, RSPB Scotland and the Scottish Wildlife Trust, argues that a dramatic reduction in the country’s wild deer population is needed to tackle accelerating climate and biodiversity crises.

The report says deer can cause significant damage to emerging woodlands through grazing, and that they trample fragile peatlands, which are key to carbon absorption

They are encouraging a large cull in Deer to protect forests and lower warming

its a crazy world;

Australia is culling 10,000 camels to prevent them drinking up all the water from streams

Perhaps they should first put a ban on households having swimming pools

Reply privately, Reply in forum +quote or View forums list

By *ocbigMan  over a year ago

Birmingham

The creature doing the culling might want to look in the mirror

By *pursChick aka ShortieWoman  over a year ago

On a mooch

Oh my days!

By (user no longer on site)  over a year ago

My dog could pull down a deer

Love a bit of venison stew

Perhaps we should start culling dumbass humans instead...!!!

By *urvyandCurious999Woman  over a year ago

Hiding from twats

Deer culling has always been an important part of environmental management because they no longer have any natural predators and can cause a lot of damage. Interesting to hear about the peat bog damage though, I didn't know about that.

"Perhaps we should start culling dumbass humans instead...!!! "

if only

Human over population is the main cause of all harm in the World

By *den-Valley-coupleCouple  over a year ago

Cumbria

[Removed by poster at 14/01/20 19:15:36]

"My dog could pull down a deer "

It wouldnt if my dog was protecting the deer, im afraid your dog would not get near enough

"Deer culling has always been an important part of environmental management because they no longer have any natural predators and can cause a lot of damage. Interesting to hear about the peat bog damage though, I didn't know about that. "

I saw that on a programme the other day, eye opener in some aspects. Seeing a vegan shot a deer as he is an environmentalist first sold it to me.

Cumbria

Some say it is cruel and unnecessary to cull or Hunt any animal but we have they removed the Apex Predators which would otherwise control numbers so no culling and removing of the remains what is it necessary to stop the spread of disease and sickness and starvation .

By *ara JTV/TS  over a year ago

Bristol East

I wonder how much carbon they churned out in the course of putting that report together?

Offsetting carbon emissions by planting more trees doesn't really address the fundamental cause - that humans are altering the ecosystem by digging up long-dead trees and burning them.

The authors ought to look in the mirror before trying to scapegoat deer.

Cumbria

Probably be much better for the environment to band all inputs of protein so beef chicken lamb and pork from countries that did not raised the animal in a low carbon way same as the UK.

But you are all going to have to pay more for your meat.

By *naswingdressWoman  over a year ago

Manchester (she/her)

"Deer culling has always been an important part of environmental management because they no longer have any natural predators and can cause a lot of damage. Interesting to hear about the peat bog damage though, I didn't know about that. "

And the camel population in Australia is feral FFS.

Hiding from twats

"Deer culling has always been an important part of environmental management because they no longer have any natural predators and can cause a lot of damage. Interesting to hear about the peat bog damage though, I didn't know about that.

And the camel population in Australia is feral FFS."

Yep! I'd much rather see them culled so that the native wildlife has access to water.

By *ssex_tomMan  over a year ago

Chelmsford

The climate will wipe is all out. Stop fiddling while Rome burns.. just party before it's too late..

By *ovegames42Man  over a year ago

london

How about stopping the deforestation and burning of vast areas of the Amazon basin to produce soya with 80 percent destined for animal feed.

On a mooch

"Deer culling has always been an important part of environmental management because they no longer have any natural predators and can cause a lot of damage. Interesting to hear about the peat bog damage though, I didn't know about that.

I saw that on a programme the other day, eye opener in some aspects. Seeing a vegan shot a deer as he is an environmentalist first sold it to me."

If culling is necessary then so be it. However, don’t just kill and dispose of the deer, make sure they are used effectively rather than just burned

By *naswingdressWoman  over a year ago

Manchester (she/her)

I saw that on a programme the other day, eye opener in some aspects. Seeing a vegan shot a deer as he is an environmentalist first sold it to me.

If culling is necessary then so be it. However, don’t just kill and dispose of the deer, make sure they are used effectively rather than just burned "

Yes. Use the resources.

Chelmsford

If culling is necessary then so be it. However, don’t just kill and dispose of the deer, make sure they are used effectively rather than just burned "

Food...

Hiding from twats

They're usually sold locally as venison. My uncle was a forestry commission ranger and part of his job was the deer cull. His certainly never went to waste.

Chelmsford

Venison is lean and healthy

The only reason we have to cull dear is because stupid idiots Hunted wolves to extinction

The planet is fooked and it's due to the so called smartest living things on the planet

By *reedy_for_funCouple  over a year ago

My House

Tbh, I'd be quite happy to help cull both the deer and the camels. Both damage the environment.

I already take part in pest control with removing rats, pigeons, rabbits, squirrels etc from farms. All spread disease. All damage crops. Rabbits and squirrels are an invasive species to the UK. Pigeons are basically flying rats, rats are, well, rats . All need to be controlled. You'll never kill them all but they can be managed. And that's exactly what we need to do.

Chelmsford

I thought wolves were dangerous

"I thought wolves were dangerous "

It's a wild animal so yeah but look at the stats on wolf attacks in America and Europe and then check that of drink driving cock wombles

Chelmsford

Well I feel safer at night walking home through fields and bridleways knowing wolves are extinct..

They did,they ate it.

"Well I feel safer at night walking home through fields and bridleways knowing wolves are extinct.."

So a natural creature that roamed about freely deserved To be wiped out for no other reason than sport

That's all I'm putting into this one

Chelmsford

They are scarey fuckers and I would shit myself on the way home if they started howling like wolves ...

On a mooch

If culling is necessary then so be it. However, don’t just kill and dispose of the deer, make sure they are used effectively rather than just burned

They're usually sold locally as venison. My uncle was a forestry commission ranger and part of his job was the deer cull. His certainly never went to waste. "

Pleased to hear it

By *mmmMaybeCouple  over a year ago

West Wales

"Perhaps we should start culling dumbass humans instead...!!!

if only

Human over population is the main cause of all harm in the World"

S

By *icentiousCouple  over a year ago

Up on them there hills

"The report, published by Scottish Environment Link (SEL), which includes the John Muir Trust, the National Trust for Scotland, RSPB Scotland and the Scottish Wildlife Trust, argues that a dramatic reduction in the country’s wild deer population is needed to tackle accelerating climate and biodiversity crises.

The report says deer can cause significant damage to emerging woodlands through grazing, and that they trample fragile peatlands, which are key to carbon absorption

They are encouraging a large cull in Deer to protect forests and lower warming

its a crazy world;

Australia is culling 10,000 camels to prevent them drinking up all the water from streams

Perhaps they should first put a ban on

households having swimming pools"

They both “make good eating, mate”.

"

They are scarey fuckers and I would shit myself on the way home if they started howling like wolves ... "

I have 2 hybrids they are obviously very different to standard dogs

And take a lot of patience guess it's each to there own I'm no animal activists but I believe everything has its place in this world

Chelmsford

"

They are scarey fuckers and I would shit myself on the way home if they started howling like wolves ...

And take a lot of patience guess it's each to there own I'm no animal activists but I believe everything has its place in this world"

Two hybrids.. ? Guess your not talking eco cars..

Dangerous fuckers I guess ?

"

And take a lot of patience guess it's each to there own I'm no animal activists but I believe everything has its place in this world

Dangerous fuckers I guess ?"

Haha not cars no

And not dangerous just need to be respected

Chelmsford

"

Haha not cars no

And not dangerous just need to be respected "

Scarey bastards then ?

"

Haha not cars no

And not dangerous just need to be respected "

How would they act if not respected? If a mentally disabled child patted them too roughly, for example?

Chelmsford

Are they half wolf ?

"

Haha not cars no

Scarey bastards then ? "

No there as soft as any other dog it's how you raise them mine have never left my side since they where pups both stay in the house with me never had any issue with aggression

Hiding from twats

"

Haha not cars no

Scarey bastards then ?

No there as soft as any other dog it's how you raise them mine have never left my side since they where pups both stay in the house with me never had any issue with aggression

"

Are they hybrids as in 50% wolf? Or low content wolfdogs?

Chelmsford

What breeds are they ?

Low content 25% Alaskan mal and husky mix

Permitted by law so I don't have to jump through hoops

Although I have put an offer in on a hefty patch of land and will be getting a couple more probably high content or higher content and they can run free to a certain extent

By *aul DeUther-OneMan  over a year ago

Seaside Sussex

"The creature doing the culling might want to look in the mirror "

Hear hear.

Its It's the human population numbers that needs to be controlled.

Chelmsford

"The creature doing the culling might want to look in the mirror

Hear hear.

Its It's the human population numbers that needs to be controlled."

Agreed.. who would you exterminate first ?

By *ablo minibar123Woman  over a year ago

"My dog could pull down a deer

It wouldnt if my dog was protecting the deer, im afraid your dog would not get near enough "

Omg is this a case of my dogs more bad ass than your dog

Chelmsford

Everyone loves their dogs but please do not allow them loose to hurt others

Hiding from twats

"Low content 25% Alaskan mal and husky mix

Although I have put an offer in on a hefty patch of land and will be getting a couple more probably high content or higher content and they can run free to a certain extent "

Nice! I couldn't keep them, they're far too hard work. Would you ever go as far as getting a DWA to have high content or pure wolves or are you going to stick to non-DWA?

"My dog could pull down a deer

It wouldnt if my dog was protecting the deer, im afraid your dog would not get near enough

Omg is this a case of my dogs more bad ass than your dog "

That is discussting definitely keep it on a lead or hand it over to the authorities if it's that out of control

Although I have put an offer in on a hefty patch of land and will be getting a couple more probably high content or higher content and they can run free to a certain extent

Nice! I couldn't keep them, they're far too hard work. Would you ever go as far as getting a DWA to have high content or pure wolves or are you going to stick to non-DWA?"

Well is a huge chunk of land I'm looking at do if all is permitted I'll go for my licences but I'll have to play it by ear I'd love some pure or near pure but I'll have to wait and see

Hiding from twats

Nice! I couldn't keep them, they're far too hard work. Would you ever go as far as getting a DWA to have high content or pure wolves or are you going to stick to non-DWA?

Well is a huge chunk of land I'm looking at do if all is permitted I'll go for my licences but I'll have to play it by ear I'd love some pure or near pure but I'll have to wait and see "

I looked into getting a DWA licence around here, and our local council hardly approve any of the applications, and charge a fortune for the ones that they do approve

Chelmsford

DWA?

Chelmsford

Well is a huge chunk of land I'm looking at do if all is permitted I'll go for my licences but I'll have to play it by ear I'd love some pure or near pure but I'll have to wait and see "

You could be in danger.. they could turn on you..

By *aul DeUther-OneMan  over a year ago

Seaside Sussex

Hear hear.

Agreed.. who would you exterminate first ?"

'Don't think we need to resort to a cull of humans. What we should do is encourage people to have fewer or even no children

Wild animal license

I should be ok applying for it 130 achres proper enclosures can't see to many issues but we will see

Chelmsford

Hear hear.

'Don't think we need to resort to a cull of humans. What we should do is encourage people to have fewer or even no children "

Or alternively put your finger in the hole in the Dyke..

China tried it.. didn't work

Hiding from twats

"DWA? "

Dangerous Wild Animals licence. It covers things like wolves, big cats, venomous snakes, etc. The councils each have their own criteria and pricing structure which is a pain in the bum, but essentially it makes sure that your animals aren't going to pose a danger to the public.

By *o_eye_deerMan  over a year ago

The South Near That London

Can it wait till after the weekend?

Hear hear.

'Don't think we need to resort to a cull of humans. What we should do is encourage people to have fewer or even no children "

Yeah but how else are teenagers going to get a house if they’re not pregnant?

By *ocbigMan  over a year ago

Birmingham

"DWA? "

Dogs With Attitude..

Chelmsford

"DWA?

Dogs With Attitude.."

I am not comfortable with this..

What's wrong with a Jack Russel ffs

"DWA?

Dogs With Attitude..

I am not comfortable with this..

What's wrong with a Jack Russel ffs"

Good job your hundreds of miles away then

By *iddlesticksMan  over a year ago

My nan’s spare room.

Look up

Wolves change the course of a river on YouTube

They introduced wolves back into Yellowstone park to control the deer which without predation had a massive detrimental effect on the environment.

It’s incredible.

By *tace 309TV/TS  over a year ago

durham

"I thought wolves were dangerous "
not as dangerous as man

"

And take a lot of patience guess it's each to there own I'm no animal activists but I believe everything has its place in this world"

Except maybe us? Most creatures live in tune with their environment, but not us as a species..

By *ire_thornMan  over a year ago

no comment

Im not sure how things are done overseas.. But wildlife management here in the United States is important to keep herds at safe levels to maintain the ecosystem since populations of natural predators are so low and in some areas completely gone. Which makes humans the apex predator.

"Im not sure how things are done overseas.. But wildlife management here in the United States is important to keep herds at safe levels to maintain the ecosystem since populations of natural predators are so low and in some areas completely gone. Which makes humans the apex predator."

I visit Yellowstone regular as well as areas around Yellowstone - Cody / Jackson hole etc, its good to see how wolves and bears mix in around Yellowstone but they do stray onto farms etc close by, they often take the easy option to feed from bins and discarded food

Although I have put an offer in on a hefty patch of land and will be getting a couple more probably high content or higher content and they can run free to a certain extent "

I have owned Malamutes for 25 years, the kennel club has ruined the breed of this dog

I still have one last shepherds way Malamute an old girl and she is teaching my new Caucasian Mountain Dog/

Caucasian Ovchark puppy her old bad habbits

Cull humans first!!

"Im not sure how things are done overseas.. But wildlife management here in the United States is important to keep herds at safe levels to maintain the ecosystem since populations of natural predators are so low and in some areas completely gone. Which makes humans the apex predator.

I visit Yellowstone regular as well as areas around Yellowstone - Cody / Jackson hole etc, its good to see how wolves and bears mix in around Yellowstone but they do stray onto farms etc close by, they often take the easy option to feed from bins and discarded food"

That's why you get donkeys. They will kick the shit out of anything. Never had a wolf problem on the farm because of those grumpy asses.

Wolves are a huge part of balancing ecosystems; in Canada it's very embraced and tracked so that balance keeps happening. Its not perfect by a long shot, but to keep the balances you have to cull. I live in a place where the deer are city wide, same with moose and they cause alot of problems because the coyotes and cougars come in to track them but end up also eating/attacking peoples cats or dogs or humans. And the moose.....as fun as they are to look at if they kick your car it's not covered and they literally are too big to negotiate with. (They tranquilize and then drive them back out to the forest areas).

As for bears...I'm more scared of the wolf spiders. Bears just eat your garbage and poop on your driveway.

Well you learn something everyday

So the real problem with the bush fires in Oz is diwn to the camels nicking all the water

A couple of years ago a report came out that cattle should be farmed in the latest superfarms as many do in the US. They never see outdoors and the reason was that it is down to the methane they produce ruining the earth's atmosphere. Idea was that the air from these superfarms would be filtered etc so the methane wouldn't entry the ecosystem. ..it's always animal world at fault never man..nuts!

Surely that is just two domestic breeds (all husky) so no licence needed anyway? Good working dogs though never sure about pets my brother had a husky with wolf (small bit) and did need a licence for it

"Well you learn something everyday

So the real problem with the bush fires in Oz is diwn to the camels nicking all the water"

not at all, take use some effort look into it rather than be foolish, 10,000 camels are being culled as they are drinking up all the remaining water at water holes preventing other wild life from drinking, still, its good to see all human households still have their swimming pools in their gardens.

By *ophieslutTV/TS  over a year ago

Central

We know that massive tree planting levels can help to overcome human caused global heating, so it makes some sense to limit deer. The cause needs to be addressed too, by changing human life. A huge meat eating lifestyle needs to be switched to plant based diets, on top of other changes. In 10 years or so it will be too late to stop catastrophic heating.

Chelmsford

"We know that massive tree planting levels can help to overcome human caused global heating, so it makes some sense to limit deer. The cause needs to be addressed too, by changing human life. A huge meat eating lifestyle needs to be switched to plant based diets, on top of other changes. In 10 years or so it will be too late to stop catastrophic heating. "

It's too late now. We are passed the tipping point. More people will flee the hot countries to reach the more temperate countries. We will all be fighting for food and there will be more famine. Enjoy it while you can.

By *uesdaysfundayCouple  over a year ago

Sandbach

"Look up

Wolves change the course of a river on YouTube

They introduced wolves back into Yellowstone park to control the deer which without predation had a massive detrimental effect on the environment.

It’s incredible. "

I saw that it was amazing

By *uesdaysfundayCouple  over a year ago

Sandbach

I don't know whether you have noticed yet or not but deer aren't just a problem in Scotland and in our national parks. They have travelled down our transport links into cities and have been found grazing in suburban estates, scavenging in bins, strolling down the streets at dawn.

I love nature, it works best when it is in balance. We've messed up the balance bigtime during our tenure. Reintroduction programmes of the European wolf have been successful in Europe. Personally I would like to see them reintroduced in the UK where appropriate. In other locations unfortunately we created a problem. There is an overpopulation that the land cannot support which is why the deer move into the urban areas. We could say that we took them away from wildlife but we also aren't going to give them back.

We need to get this balance right. Culling may be the only choice. But we must use the meat. With so much hungry in the world we cannot waste it

Chelmsford

Cull is not a word I like..

It's slaughter

"Cull humans first!! "

Are you volunteering to cull or be culled?..

Chelmsford

Killing animals to combat global warming is pissing in the wind

By *aitonelMan  over a year ago

Liverpool

Surely that is just two domestic breeds (all husky) so no licence needed anyway? Good working dogs though never sure about pets my brother had a husky with wolf (small bit) and did need a licence for it "

25% wolf 75% husky mal mix I'm pretty sure he means.

Areas with greatly reduced/absent natural predators, like the UK for example, do need population control. It is critical for both humans and the environment itself.

Unfortunately whichever way you look at it, the reason this needs to happen is all because of human intervention. We as a species killed off all of the apex predators in our countries.

At the same time though, it is laughable that humans want to cull a species to protect the environment, yet very rarely think twice about damaging it ourselves.

The wolves in yellows tone is one of the most amazing transformations you will ever see in terms of what nature does to balance itself.

Humans are the species that actually messes with the balance.

The none native species which cause chaos to most environments are down to humans. None native species are one of the few things that nature rarely is able to adjust itself to fully - "Australian" camels, and grey squirrels in UK.

Chelmsford

So cull all deer and we are saved ?

cull 4 billion humans and the planet and human race have a chance

Chelmsford

To be honest I think we are passed the tipping point and fucked..

So let's party hard because soon will be our last day

By *ranny-CrumpetWoman  over a year ago

King's Crustacean

If predation is the answer ......... enter alien and predator to cull humans.

Thank me later..

Chelmsford

"If predation is the answer ......... enter alien and predator to cull humans.

Thank me later.. "

Yes the overpopulation of this planet by humans will fuck us up..

Surely that is just two domestic breeds (all husky) so no licence needed anyway? Good working dogs though never sure about pets my brother had a husky with wolf (small bit) and did need a licence for it "

The Alaskan Malamute is mixed with a Alaskan malamute with wolf content and then along came a husky the husky fluttered it's eye lashes and along came Alaskan Malamute x husky with wolf content

By *ophieslutTV/TS  over a year ago

Central

"To be honest I think we are passed the tipping point and fucked..

So let's party hard because soon will be our last day"

The expertise on global heating proposes that we are not beyond the tipping point to potentially restrain global heating to within 1.5 degrees Celsius. Last year showed 1.1 degrees of heating globally, so we are close.

Hunan made global heating has happened and the question is really to what extent we will permit ourselves to heat it to? Having no targets and giving up isn't a reasonable approach, as this would deliver even more catastrophic outcomes - more deaths and destruction, of living species and more of the world.

This slaughter of deer is Scotland would be an incremental step towards supporting greater wildlife as well as supporting greater forestation, which would reduce CO2 levels in the atmosphere. It's likely that hundreds or thousands of such approaches will need to be made to make substantial global differences - but that is the only way to do this, as every region and country is self governing and responsible.

Most of us would likely prefer to never have wildlife killed but this may be a good example of where we could impose on other forms of life that we share this planet with, to try to help ensure that more life overall is preserved and given greater positive potential for the long term future. We must though make massive changes to our own lifestyles as a matter of urgency. Giving up cannot be an option that's tolerable.

By *arksxMan  over a year ago

Leicester / London

Not picking anyones post out in particular but

The entire global population could live in the boarders of the state of texas if we all lived as denese as Paris.

Population is not the problem. Poor management of resources and infrastructure is

As for animal production contributing to to co2....

Right behind it is... rice production. Are we going to ban rice with our Chinese and Indian take away too?

Don't hear the vegans talk about that

The planet is not fucked... The human race is fucked.

Earth has been around for billions years and will be long after are microscopic dot on earth's time line has come and gone

lets cull humans to lets face it we're the biggest polluters

Chelmsford

"Not picking anyones post out in particular but

The entire global population could live in the boarders of the state of texas if we all lived as denese as Paris.

Population is not the problem. Poor management of resources and infrastructure is

Right behind it is... rice production. Are we going to ban rice with our Chinese and Indian take away too?

Earth has been around for billions years and will be long after are microscopic dot on earth's time line has come and gone"

Is rice a polluter? I thought we were supposed to eat more plant based food ?

By *arksxMan  over a year ago

Leicester / London

"Not picking anyones post out in particular but

Earth has been around for billions years and will be long after are microscopic dot on earth's time line has come and gone

Is rice a polluter? I thought we were supposed to eat more plant based food ?"

It's a major methane producer

Almost 20% of all the globes production.

Thats because industrial farming techniques are still not widely used everywhere in Asia (which produces 90% of the worlds rice)

Maybe once plant based protein cathes on and some big industrial famra company brings in economies of sacle it will go down.

But only after they nick all the fresh water from the poorest people in those areas. (like they do in every part of the world)

» Add a new message to this topic