FabSwingers.com

FabSwingers.com > Forums > The Lounge > Baby's first tattoo

Baby's first tattoo

Jump to: Newest in thread

By *naswingdress OP   Woman  over a year ago

Manchester (she/her)

... baby is me and is 34, don't freak out.

Those who have tattoos, can you give me an idea of what I need to think about, questions to ask, research to do? I got my ears pierced as a teenager (one in each lobe, old school) but that's the only body mods I have.

Reply privately, Reply in forum +quote or View forums list

By *ire_bladeMan  over a year ago

Manchester

Research the tattooist know what you want. Take your time and don't get anything off the wall. Least I never would. I had mine drawn by a well known cartoonist. Think in all mine cost around the £800/£1000 mark and took 4 3 hour sessions. Oh and don't believe the bollex it doesn't hurt it fucking does and like a bitch. Just be sure it's what you really want.

By *ranny-CrumpetWoman  over a year ago

King's Crustacean

Too late, I freaked........ someone fan me.......

Manchester (she/her)

"Too late, I freaked........ someone fan me......."

Lol

By *lem-H-FandangoMan  over a year ago

salisbury

Do a star around your elbow like everyone else.

By *uxom redCouple  over a year ago

Shrewsbury

Make sure it's something you really like / want. Something you won't get bored off as cover ups and laser removal really hurt.

By *elnkazCouple  over a year ago

cheshire

Del has his 1st big tattoo next week good reputable tattooist.always go on recommendations too. K

Manchester (she/her)

"Make sure it's something you really like / want. Something you won't get bored off as cover ups and laser removal really hurt. "

That's the one thing I definitely know. What I want and why.

By (user no longer on site)  over a year ago

[Removed by poster at 14/01/20 18:00:30]

Manchester

"Do a star around your elbow like everyone else. "

Or down your neck

By *nabelle21Woman  over a year ago

B38

Back in the day, I really liked a barb wire tattoo so I got a henna on holiday. And that's as far as it went. Couldn't wait for it to wash off. A girl friend of mine has a few tatts and they look great.

I'm too indecisive to decide on something so permanent.

By *aughty island coupleCouple  over a year ago

Portland dorset

Just make sure it's a tattoo you really want . If your unsure then don't have it done.

Buy bepathen. Don’t pick it

Manchester (she/her)

"Back in the day, I really liked a barb wire tattoo so I got a henna on holiday. And that's as far as it went. Couldn't wait for it to wash off. A girl friend of mine has a few tatts and they look great.

I'm too indecisive to decide on something so permanent."

I thought that until recently. But yes, henna is a good way to experiment.

By *asterslittlewhoreCouple  over a year ago

Edinburgh

Find an artist who understands what you want and that you trust, with a few of mine he has had some ideas about what i wanted that i went with and glad i did as his input made them even better and i love them x

By *uxom redCouple  over a year ago

Shrewsbury

"Make sure it's something you really like / want. Something you won't get bored off as cover ups and laser removal really hurt.

That's the one thing I definitely know. What I want and why."

Good, look at tattooists Web sites most have pictures of their work.

B38

"Research the tattooist know what you want. Take your time and don't get anything off the wall. Least I never would. I had mine drawn by a well known cartoonist. Think in all mine cost around the £800/£1000 mark and took 4 3 hour sessions. Oh and don't believe the bollex it doesn't hurt it fucking does and like a bitch. Just be sure it's what you really want."

Thats an awsome tattoo you have there

By *uietlykinkymeWoman  over a year ago

kinky land

Sounds silly but buy a cheap marker pen and literally draw on yourself. (Make sure you can wash it off!)

Think about your lifestyle, work etc do you need to be able to conceal it easily?

What images do you have strong emotional connections too? One of my girlfriend's lost her mum, her name was Lilly, so the design started around that.

Don't rush it, enjoy the planning stage then begin to research artists

Get something that means something to you , no need to follow a trend , research artists in local area and don’t what ever you do get a lower back tattoo it fuckin burns like a bitch !!!! Xx

"Buy bepathen. Don’t pick it"

Definitely x

"... baby is me and is 34, don't freak out.

Those who have tattoos, can you give me an idea of what I need to think about, questions to ask, research to do? I got my ears pierced as a teenager (one in each lobe, old school) but that's the only body mods I have."

I tattoo myself in special moments of my life, no research, just an inspiration ...

but this works for me

By *pursChick aka ShortieWoman  over a year ago

On a mooch

Make sure it’s something you definitely want to rather than a phase. Really think about what you want, why you want it and where as once done you are stuck with it !

By *oodnitegirlWoman  over a year ago

Yorkshire

I’m in the middle of having one lasered off.

As for ones I want I admit I look on Pinterest, not to copy but to look at the locations on people’s bodies and I once took a nude and then drew on it to see if I like what it (kinda) looks like xx

Manchester

"Research the tattooist know what you want. Take your time and don't get anything off the wall. Least I never would. I had mine drawn by a well known cartoonist. Think in all mine cost around the £800/£1000 mark and took 4 3 hour sessions. Oh and don't believe the bollex it doesn't hurt it fucking does and like a bitch. Just be sure it's what you really want.

Thats an awsome tattoo you have there "

The picture really doesn't do it justice and it needs a touch up now. It's kinda my life story and a tribute to the closest thing I had to a mum. My sister murdered in a car crash

Manchester

"Research the tattooist know what you want. Take your time and don't get anything off the wall. Least I never would. I had mine drawn by a well known cartoonist. Think in all mine cost around the £800/£1000 mark and took 4 3 hour sessions. Oh and don't believe the bollex it doesn't hurt it fucking does and like a bitch. Just be sure it's what you really want.

The picture really doesn't do it justice and it needs a touch up now. It's kinda my life story and a tribute to the closest thing I had to a mum. My sister murdered in a car crash "

Shame I can't see the fucker

Do your research on the artist and their styles.

Do you have a specfic place in mind you want one? Or are you open to suggestion. (some places hurt much more than others and some people find it easier to watch them being done rather than in a place they can't see)

Do you have an idea of a basic concept you can discuss with the artist? They can help with placement of the design to suit too.

Do you know your pain level tolerance, some people prefer long sessions others multiple shorter ones.

Be prepared for the aftercare, again you'll discuss this with the artist, but it will itch like a sod, and depending on size and location and length of sitting your muscles may be sore for a few days after, I had a limp after the side of my calf was done for example.

Choosing the artist is the biggest step to a good tattoo in my opinion. They'll work with you through everything else.

By *iss ScherzzoWoman  over a year ago

Liverpool

Very tattooed here. Best advice I can give is:

Good tattoos aren’t cheap! Cheap tattoos aren’t good!

Don’t let price be a factor in finding that artist. Find the artist you want before talking money.

By *ce WingerMan  over a year ago

P.O. Box DE1 0NQ

Check out Candella X, I think she knows her arse from her elbow

Yorkshire

"Very tattooed here. Best advice I can give is:

Don’t let price be a factor in finding that artist. Find the artist you want before talking money. "

Did you photoshop them out of your pics or are you just good at hiding them? Xx

B38

The picture really doesn't do it justice and it needs a touch up now. It's kinda my life story and a tribute to the closest thing I had to a mum. My sister murdered in a car crash "

Wow...that's a heavy tattoo

By *ustJohnnoMan  over a year ago

Rowlands Castle

Took me 20 years to finally decide on a design. I found a reason not to have every design I came up with. A tiny doubt was enough to ruin it.

In the end I researched a skilled artist (agree with others advice here on that - they all have a ‘style’ you need to be on board with) who worked with me on it and got first on my ribs. Fairly large and yeah it effin hurt. Love it though and it’s worth the pain.

Better for it to have meaning to you AND is cool design, applied skilfully.

Liverpool

Don’t let price be a factor in finding that artist. Find the artist you want before talking money.

Did you photoshop them out of your pics or are you just good at hiding them? Xx"

Ha I shop them out for my public pics. They are very identifying

Don’t listen to people that says it hurts. It’s like a pinch for a few minutes that’s it.

Go for something that means something to you. And put you’re own mark on things you see you like.

By *haggy2001Couple  over a year ago

Driffield

I am the girl part of us and I just got my first tattoo in the shape of some hands tied up with a rope.

Manchester

Ha I shop them out for my public pics. They are very identifying "

The 1 across your arse is very nice. Or is it just the arse I like hmmmm

Manchester

"Don’t listen to people that says it hurts. It’s like a pinch for a few minutes that’s it.

Go for something that means something to you. And put you’re own mark on things you see you like. "

Not after 4 friggin hours it's not

I’m so sorry to hear this xx

"Don’t listen to people that says it hurts. It’s like a pinch for a few minutes that’s it.

Go for something that means something to you. And put you’re own mark on things you see you like.

Not after 4 friggin hours it's not"

3 hours on my chest. Just a bit of a sweat

Liverpool

Go for something that means something to you. And put you’re own mark on things you see you like. "

Ah see. It does hurt. Depending on pain threshold and where I guess. My arms/thighs were easy. My chest piece and my foot both hurt like a bitch. No point lying. It’s gonna just. It’s a shit ton of needles penetrating your skin really fast ha.

I also don’t think all tattoos need to have meaning either. 90% of mine are just stuff I like

Liverpool

The 1 across your arse is very nice. Or is it just the arse I like hmmmm "

Haha I panicked then thinking I missed one ha

Yorkshire

"I am the girl part of us and I just got my first tattoo in the shape of some hands tied up with a rope."

Love it

Some very good advice here. My biggest one is my forearm piece and it sybolises my family. Feel free to have a peek.

Rowlands Castle

A woman liked bees so went into the tattooist and asked for a bee on her left buttock. It didn’t look symmetrical though so she got one on her right to balance it. When she got home her husband said “yeah very nice but who the fuck is Bob?”

Sorry xD

Instagram is a great place to find artists. I literally just search the tags for my city + tattoo artist or something. You can see their past work and get an idea for their style without having to go speak to them then you’ll know what you want when you’re ready.

I paid £400 for a day sitting with one person, my most recent one was with an apprentice (wouldn’t recommend it for a big piece!) so saved a lot of money and she was lovely.

Manchester

3 hours on my chest. Just a bit of a sweat "

My skin rejected the ink from my 1st session and to be fair after the 1st session I thought the same. My 2and sessions he had to use some special blast the ink in you tattoo gun so that's probably why our experience was so different. I swear I come out from my 2and 3rd and 4th session in shock. I slept on my knees for the 1st few nights as I was in so much pain. Thankfully I'm a stubborn fucker and wouldn't let it beat me. Well worth it now but at the time.

By *atricia ParnelWoman  over a year ago

In a town full of colours

If you can trace it and slap it on where you want it to be and wear it for however long you want before you are happy, I'm having a half sleeve done and I wore it for a day to get used to the size.

My chest tat hurt but the part on my boob stung like a bitch

Ah see. It does hurt. Depending on pain threshold and where I guess. My arms/thighs were easy. My chest piece and my foot both hurt like a bitch. No point lying. It’s gonna just. It’s a shit ton of needles penetrating your skin really fast ha.

I also don’t think all tattoos need to have meaning either. 90% of mine are just stuff I like "

i agree.. my forearm and top of back on my spine hurt a lot but my others not so much.

By *adeiteWoman  over a year ago

Poole, but up in lincs for a bit

Dont need to anymore. Most artists now use a wrap that you leave on for 7 days after to speed the healing process.

Manchester

The picture really doesn't do it justice and it needs a touch up now. It's kinda my life story and a tribute to the closest thing I had to a mum. My sister murdered in a car crash

I’m so sorry to hear this xx "

Shit happens I guess. Still hurts like a mother fucker though.

3 hours on my chest. Just a bit of a sweat

My skin rejected the ink from my 1st session and to be fair after the 1st session I thought the same. My 2and sessions he had to use some special blast the ink in you tattoo gun so that's probably why our experience was so different. I swear I come out from my 2and 3rd and 4th session in shock. I slept on my knees for the 1st few nights as I was in so much pain. Thankfully I'm a stubborn fucker and wouldn't let it beat me. Well worth it now but at the time."

I’ve a phobia about needles but you hardly see it. But if i had experienced what you did I’d probably run out the place after the second attempt

Nice piece aswell. And she will always be with you

By *emini ManMan  over a year ago

There and to the left a bit

No suggestions but as others have said - think long and hard about what you want and why you want it, also where you want it and how you honestly think it will look on you.

I like the "idea" of one for myself, but also suspect it may look ridiculous given my body shape - so until I find an idea that I am 100% confident won't look ridiculous, that I will be happy to live with for the rest of my life etc etc I shall remain ink free.

Manchester

Check out "sorry mum" they're in prestwich. Mine was done at the tattooers arms in Darwin ask for lee. Steve is a tosser

Rowlands Castle

I’m led to believe parts of the body simply have less pain receptors than others. Your elbow for example is nails. I could probably take pliers to it without feeling it. But ribs and under my pit was eye watering.

Liverpool

"Buy bepathen. Don’t pick it

Dont need to anymore. Most artists now use a wrap that you leave on for 7 days after to speed the healing process. "

Yeah I never use any creams any more. Cling film and cleaning is my only aftercare. Also stop it’s scabbing over as well

Liverpool

"I’m led to believe parts of the body simply have less pain receptors than others. Your elbow for example is nails. I could probably take pliers to it without feeling it. But ribs and under my pit was eye watering. "

Elbow is painful... a lot of people with sleeves tend to leave the elbow. Check it out when out and about you will see a lot of stars and stuff around the elbow leaving the actual elbow as bare skin

By *ineMan  over a year ago

In cave behind a waterfall on a hill

Anything to do with needles makes me freak out....

Manchester

Haha I panicked then thinking I missed one ha "

Haha got ya

Rowlands Castle

"I’m led to believe parts of the body simply have less pain receptors than others. Your elbow for example is nails. I could probably take pliers to it without feeling it. But ribs and under my pit was eye watering.

Elbow is painful... a lot of people with sleeves tend to leave the elbow. Check it out when out and about you will see a lot of stars and stuff around the elbow leaving the actual elbow as bare skin "

Yeah guess you’re right - never really noticed. I think mine are weird then. I fell over a lot as a kid. Probably ruined them lol

Another thing I heard is the thickness of the skin to the bone makes a difference. Fatty bits supposedly hurt less but are risky to look naff.

By *ice But Very NaughtyCouple  over a year ago

Swansea

Think about the style of tattoo that you want, research for similar images to find a design or elements from a few designs that you can take along to discuss with a tattoo artist.

Research tattoo artists, find someone who specialises in the style you are after. Look at their portfolio, and contact them to go have a chat.

Consider body placement for the tattoo, where would you like the ink but be mindful that after consultation you may need to compromise on design, size and placement. A good artist will know these things and let you know.

Cost, consider how much are you prepared to spend? If you book a session you will need to pay a deposit to secure the slot. When you have your consultation discuss costs to avoid a shock once the ink is done.

Aftercare, you will be advised by the tattoo artist of the best way to care for your new ink.

I hope this helps a little

Liverpool

Haha got ya "

Don’t even know why. I ain’t got one on my arse but I have been tempted to have both cheeks covered

Liverpool

"I’m led to believe parts of the body simply have less pain receptors than others. Your elbow for example is nails. I could probably take pliers to it without feeling it. But ribs and under my pit was eye watering.

Elbow is painful... a lot of people with sleeves tend to leave the elbow. Check it out when out and about you will see a lot of stars and stuff around the elbow leaving the actual elbow as bare skin

Yeah guess you’re right - never really noticed. I think mine are weird then. I fell over a lot as a kid. Probably ruined them lol

Another thing I heard is the thickness of the skin to the bone makes a difference. Fatty bits supposedly hurt less but are risky to look naff. "

Closer to the bone then the more painful is a thing for me for sure ..

Manchester (she/her)

Hmm. Suppose I need to consider body recomp/ weight change. Damn it.

(I am reading along, thank you all so much. A lot to take in)

By *ooBulMan  over a year ago

Missin’ Yo’ Kissin’

Ask to see the Tattoo Artist's portfolio! Every good one will have one and they should talk to you responsibly and in a professional manner.

Liverpool

"Hmm. Suppose I need to consider body recomp/ weight change. Damn it.

(I am reading along, thank you all so much. A lot to take in)"

Have you considered your artist yet?

Manchester (she/her)

"Hmm. Suppose I need to consider body recomp/ weight change. Damn it.

(I am reading along, thank you all so much. A lot to take in)

Have you considered your artist yet? "

No. I'm at an extremely preliminary stage. I always said I knew what I'd get if I did, but that I wouldn't. I'm a bit past that, just considering the scale of the problem (what needs to be considered and researched, hence the question)

By *heekyFlirtyCoupleCouple  over a year ago

Stockport

I cried like a baby and will never have another!

Took me 47+ years before I had mine and I have had a matching one to one my son has.

Mrs J x

Missin’ Yo’ Kissin’

I have this book!(see below) You can buy used from amazon -various prices. If you don't like it you can use it for the coffee table or as a door stop in the summer!

"Tattoo-pedia: Choose from Over 1,000 of the Hottest Tattoo Designs for Your New Ink! Hardcover – 19 Jul 2012

by: From the Editors at Tattoofinder.com"

I have a few and work along side a tattooist..I agree with looking at individual tattooist work. Personally myself I don’t put anything on my tattoos after as some creams ..if used too much can draw the ink out ..I find the pain pleasurable in fact I get turned on haha but the stinging after is what I don’t like ,but a hot bath will ease that .try to make sure you eat before you get a tattoo and take a sugary drink with you.. but just a warning if your like me you will get addicted to them ..

Cba to read everyone's posts and it's probably been said, but think long and hard about the design/meaning and place you want a tattoo. Do you want it visible all the time either to you or others, only when wearing certain clothes etc. Do you want daffy duck when you're 60 or 70? You gotta think long term.

Liverpool

"I have a few and work along side a tattooist..I agree with looking at individual tattooist work. Personally myself I don’t put anything on my tattoos after as some creams ..if used too much can draw the ink out ..I find the pain pleasurable in fact I get turned on haha but the stinging after is what I don’t like ,but a hot bath will ease that .try to make sure you eat before you get a tattoo and take a sugary drink with you.. but just a warning if your like me you will get addicted to them .."

Oh yes. That’s a massive one. Extremely addictive

On Google you can search a colour coded map of the body which will tell you where the most painful places are.

Go to a reputable tatoo shop.

Make sure the artist you pick specialises in the type of tatoo you want.look at other work they have done.

Ware comfortable clothes...

And it will hurt...

Missin’ Yo’ Kissin’

Top 10 questions you should ask yourself before getting a tattoo:-

1. Are you ok with your tattoo becoming a permanent part of you?

2. Are you confident that you want atattoo for all the right reasons?

3. Is getting a tattoo your idea, or is it someone else’s?

4. Are you willing to do all the required research before meeting the needle?

5. Are you ok with experiencing some level of pain?

6. Do you understand that, even under the best conditions, there can be health risks involved?

7. Are you ok with the idea of people not liking your tattoo – even openly criticising you for it?

8. Are you willing to take full responsibility for how your tattoo comes out?

9. Do you understand that as your body changes over time, so likely, will the appearance of your tattoo?

10. Is there an alternative to getting a tattoo that may be more in line with what you are really after?

"Make sure it's something you really like / want. Something you won't get bored off as cover ups and laser removal really hurt.

That's the one thing I definitely know. What I want and why."

Find a tattoist that is into the style you want, alot specialise in certain style so you will get a much better tattoo. Dont worry to much about the pain there are a few tricks depending on your pain threshold and of course where you are going to have it on your body

That's the one thing I definitely know. What I want and why.

Find a tattoist that is into the style you want, alot specialise in certain style so you will get a much better tattoo. Dont worry to much about the pain there are a few tricks depending on your pain threshold and of course where you are going to have it on your body "

I should add im about 40% covered now

Manchester

Haha got ya

Don’t even know why. I ain’t got one on my arse but I have been tempted to have both cheeks covered "

How about a w on each cheek. Oh and I'll obviously need an update

What you thinking about having and where?

Until 6 weeks ago I hadn’t had a tattoo for over 10 years, broke the drought with a groin to knee size predator tattoo on my thigh then true to form, as you do get addicted again, saw on Facebook flash sales for walk ins under an hour so went in and had the eye of Horus on my solar plexus in between my boobs.

I have tatts on my fanny, both lower legs, spine top and bottom, arms, collarbone, hip.

Anything less than 3 hours is quite bearable, scratches obviously but not excruciating. That one on my thigh, I was 4 hours and 40 minutes in of continuous tattooing. He’d done the outline and the shading which is multiple needles grouped together but then went back to the outline needle again for the white and was going over already tattooed skin and it was hurting a lot with each stroke.

I’m booked in soon for my entire left arse cheek and I’m booked for a full day for that so roughly 6 hours.

Manchester (she/her)

Where I don't know. Not for public display, small. What... I have an idea and a concept that are both deeply symbolic given my life so far. The idea, images are easy. The concept not so much. In very early stages of thought at the moment tbh.

Find a great artist, really plan what you want and where as lazer is a total bitch! I learnt the hard way. Always around if you want to chat about them more xx

By *hoenixcouplexxCouple  over a year ago

Leicestershire

Decide what style of tattoo you want... dot work, floral, old, style, cartoon whatever then start researching artists and find one that specialises in what you want. Look at their previous work.

When you think you have found one, give them your idea, basic points you want in it but give them the freedom to be an artist. Then let them draw it for you and see if it clicks with you. Worh all have ours we have known syltraight away if it's the right artist. For one of mine I walked away from two artists because I just didnt feel they were on the same wavelength as me. When I found the right one it all fell into place.

Most tattoists hate being restricted to much and will do a better job given as much freedom as they can have.

Having them done depends where Nd it is different for everyone depending on pain threshold. Best to assume it's going to hurt and be pleasantly surprised if it doesn't.

My arms were easy, my chest hurt like a nothing I've felt before or since.

Mrs P fell asleep for most of hers!... different for everyone.

Aftercare is not to bad just keep it clean and dont let it scab.

Hope that helps.

X

By *edVelveteenCouple  over a year ago

Heaven in the Midlands

Bepanthen, yep. Best thing I've found for them.

Bepanthen, yep. Best thing I've found for them."

Agree x

Research artists and be sure what you want . My first tatt at 31 cost me £240 and is a big piece since then I’ve had 4 more and I’ve had 4 more piercings in 2 years haha!

"Where I don't know. Not for public display, small. What... I have an idea and a concept that are both deeply symbolic given my life so far. The idea, images are easy. The concept not so much. In very early stages of thought at the moment tbh."

Anything under an hour I’d say is a piece of piss wherever you have it. It’ll be over before it’s began. Like the one on my boobs she was like done and I was like oh god, but that’s because 2 weeks before I was there 6 hours.

The one on my thigh now I feel a bit naked everywhere else so I’m having the back of that thigh done and I like the trash polka style tattoos so they’re gonna do a creepy looking skull on the back but blend it all with wicked shading so it’s a full thigh sleeve.

Just look on tattoo model search on Instagram for ideas of where you’d want it. There’s an app where you take a pic of your body and can put tattoos on yourself.

My tattooist has one on his pc as well which is a lot better they can put your actual design they’ve drawn on the picture of your body where you want it to go.

Bepanthen, yep. Best thing I've found for them.

Agree x"

I use aveeno, apply a think coat every 2 hrs, virtually no scabbing or itching. If it ever does itch just give it a gentle slap and it goes away

By *arlo82Couple  over a year ago

the gym and random places

Make sure its something you 100% want, ensure the tattooist keeps to your wishes.

Unlike bladey I don't find it sore. I've fallen asleep being inked, find it very relaxing. Stock up on bepanthen and dont scratch when its itchy

By *hilloutMan  over a year ago

All over the place! Northwesr, , Southwest

I appreciate tattoos on other people but i'll remain as I came into the world. To be honest I don't think they'd look good on me anyway.

Some girl advice, don't get it when on your period. I suspect our blood is thinner and I bled a lot more in that session then others.

And if you're a nesh person make sure the place is warm. Layer up. I take a hot water bottle as if I sit still for long my temperature plummets

By *lint-EverhardMan  over a year ago

Perpignan and cap

Don't do it, there's not many of us left.

Manchester (she/her)

"Some girl advice, don't get it when on your period. I suspect our blood is thinner and I bled a lot more in that session then others.

And if you're a nesh person make sure the place is warm. Layer up. I take a hot water bottle as if I sit still for long my temperature plummets "

Ooh I'm always in more pain on my period.

Manchester (she/her)

"Don't do it, there's not many of us left."

Lol I didn't think not inked was a bloody club!

By *oneyjule65Couple  over a year ago

Halifax

I am 54 & it took until I was 50 to get my first tattoo now I have 3....think of something you really like..remember a tattoo is for life not just a whim....

By *oneyjule65Couple  over a year ago

Halifax

"Make sure its something you 100% want, ensure the tattooist keeps to your wishes.

Unlike bladey I don't find it sore. I've fallen asleep being inked, find it very relaxing. Stock up on bepanthen and dont scratch when its itchy "

I loved it too guess that's why I bought a pinwheel...

Manchester (she/her)

"Make sure its something you 100% want, ensure the tattooist keeps to your wishes.

Unlike bladey I don't find it sore. I've fallen asleep being inked, find it very relaxing. Stock up on bepanthen and dont scratch when its itchy

I loved it too guess that's why I bought a pinwheel... "

Ooh pinwheels

"Some girl advice, don't get it when on your period. I suspect our blood is thinner and I bled a lot more in that session then others.

And if you're a nesh person make sure the place is warm. Layer up. I take a hot water bottle as if I sit still for long my temperature plummets

Ooh I'm always in more pain on my period. "

Yeah don’t do it on your period. Has my lips done on my period and killed like a bitch, way more than it did the previous year when I wasn’t on my period!

Your pain is heightened during your period.

By *vbride1963TV/TS  over a year ago

E.K . Glasgow

Depending where on the body it is remember it may change shape when lying down , sitting or standing . I was tattooed lying down so that’s the only position it looks the right shape in . Just goes a little oval when I’m standing .

By *bi HaiveMan  over a year ago
Forum Mod

Cheeseville, Somerset

Depends where it is. I've had hours of work but will happily confess the one on my sternum hurt like fuck.

I imagine the ones pornstars have on their arseholes sting a bit too.....

A

Manchester (she/her)

Yeah don’t do it on your period. Has my lips done on my period and killed like a bitch, way more than it did the previous year when I wasn’t on my period!

Your pain is heightened during your period. "

I figured that out as a kid. Bloody boys at school lol

Go for something that means something to you. And put you’re own mark on things you see you

Depends where it is. I've had hours of work but will happily confess the one on my sternum hurt like fuck.

I imagine the ones pornstars have on their arseholes sting a bit too.....

A"

An hr or 2 tattooing isnt too bad but it hurts and yes having an arsehole tattoo does hurt alot

B38

Your pain is heightened during your period. "

I never knew that...interesting

Manchester (she/her)

I love the options we now have to express ourselves as individuals, outside former expectations.

I kitten, have a full whitby I spires gothic sleave as well as others. Best advise I can give is research your artist. I only use one, she is usually booked up 2 months in advance and isn't the cheapest by a long way. You'll have the ink for a long time. A good artist is in demand and will talk to you about designs, what you want and what they think is workable

A spider web is even better(said someone with tribal on the back of the neck)

bepathen can cause marbelling. Use dettol. Clean it with that on a night. I did it with mine and got next to no scabbing

By *etsjusthavefun99Man  over a year ago

Cardiff

If you have a low pain tolerance, numbing cream can help you to make it through a long sitting. None of this man up and feel the pain, especially on certain parts of the body!

I keep toying with having a tattoo done. I think the advice above about researching the artist is good.

First place I went said they couldn't fit it in where I wanted it and started drawing out a design going down one whole side of my body. I walked out.

I've been hunting since for someone that will do what I want done.

Manchester (she/her)

One of my ideas is an old trend lol. But it's for me, years after it was a trend.

"If you have a low pain tolerance, numbing cream can help you to make it through a long sitting. None of this man up and feel the pain, especially on certain parts of the body! "

I wouldn’t have numbing cream if it’s a long sitting. I asked for it for my thigh and they said when it wears off it’s gonna hurt me more. It only lasts about 2 hours. He put it on me towards the end when he went back to using the outline needle again for the white ink and it was still getting unbearable but that was tatttooing on top of already tattooed skin.

"If you have a low pain tolerance, numbing cream can help you to make it through a long sitting. None of this man up and feel the pain, especially on certain parts of the body! "
numbing cream is a bad idea as it stops the ink taking as well to the skin.

By *edVelveteenCouple  over a year ago

Heaven in the Midlands

My daughter was advised to have a 'good McDonalds meal with a big soft drink' beforehand, to keep the blood sugars up in case she fainted.

Liverpool

My artist won’t touch anyone who has used numbing cream. In theory you are applying that cream to an open wound as soon as you start tattooing and that could cause a world of problems ... it’s a tattoo not open heart surgery. Grin & bear it

"If you have a low pain tolerance, numbing cream can help you to make it through a long sitting. None of this man up and feel the pain, especially on certain parts of the body! numbing cream is a bad idea as it stops the ink taking as well to the skin."

Ive had loads of tattoing done recently and have used numbing cream, it has no effect on finished tattoos. Anything to make a 7 hr sitting easier

By *forfun500Couple  over a year ago

walsall

Pick something you want dont just think awww that's pretty take your time see how many times you come back to that one you want.

Check out the artist's previous work see how good it is ask about see who knows the artist check reputation

Dont ask if it hurts cuz it does

Go big cuz you will get addicted...

Thats about it really.

I tattoo myself btw its great

By *rongstantineWoman  over a year ago

hull

Be aware of size to skin ratio and longevity. Small tattoos are cute, but they're at risk of blowing out/losing in translation, use your space wisely in case you want to add.

Know your pain tolerance, listen to your skin and keep communicating with your artist. Don't be afraid to tap out if the outline is done and you can't take more. Overworked skin will stop taking ink so well and it's pain for the sake of pain.

Stay hydrated, eat before you go in and bring chocolate to keep your levels up, your adrenaline will spike through pain, so again ensure you're taking care of any potential drop/shock. Communicate that with your artist.

Make sure you sleep well and don't drink alcohol the few nights beforehand, it'll thin the blood and you'll end up bleeding profusely unnecessarily.

I use Bepanthen for the first three days and then continue healing with Ultrabalm from Lush. It's healed my colour pieces amazingly. Your mileage may vary. Your artist will advise.

Research your artist and have fun

By *elvet RopeMan  over a year ago

by the big field

Get your design drawn out on paper, photocopy it several times. stick a copy on your fridge, your mirror, cupboards, wall, at work, use it as phone/PC wallpaper and anywhere else you'll see it frequently- and leave all these in place for the next 3-6 months.

If you're not bored of seeing it after this time, get it done- if you are, then you don't want it on your body for the rest of your eternity.

Don't rush, get recommendations of the best artist- the really good ones are booked months in advance, so your 6 months of looking at your design will give you time to get an appointment on their waiting list

By *forfun500Couple  over a year ago

walsall

Something else I can suggest if you get some carbon paper n tracepaper make s stencil up as a tattooist would do of your choosen design and just stick the transfer on where you want it see how you like it if it's not for you then just wash it off

YouTube as plenty of instructional videos on stencils and applying them

You cannot put a price on something that will be on your forever (i made this mistake to start but improved now) find a good tattooist, and keep your design in your handbag for 6 months, if you still like it, go for it

By *inky SpiceWoman  over a year ago

Glasgow

Has anyone here had a tattoo over scars? Does it take the same and does it hurt more?

By *cloversCouple  over a year ago

Hull

"Has anyone here had a tattoo over scars? Does it take the same and does it hurt more?"

My smallest tattoo was probably the most uncomfy - it was over scar tissue and over my ankle bone.

I have to say there's been some great advice here but I sit in the not painful camp. I find it more difficult to stay in one position- a bit like a stress test!

For my last tattoo the guy in the same room as me was being fed painkillers by his lady and the artist had to keep stopping to give him breaks. Very strange affair.

But pain or not make sure you're going to love it afterwards!

By *cloversCouple  over a year ago

Hull

I loved it too guess that's why I bought a pinwheel... "

Ah - I never linked my love of my favourite toy to my liking of being tattooed - probably why it's a multiple wheel as well.

Currently researching my next tattoo - it's been 2 years in the thinking already

"Has anyone here had a tattoo over scars? Does it take the same and does it hurt more?"

My arm covers scars. It hurts waaaaay more but takes just fine. Ppl don't really notice the difference by sight.

By *heEvilWithinWoman  over a year ago

Barnsley

Most people regret their first tattoo because you tend to go for something shit or something small. I am covered in tattoos and my first ever one was when I was 16 and it's a little tramp stamp.

My advice is make sure its something you really want. Don't go too small. Have something custom made don't pick one from a book and do your research on the artist. Most tattooists are now on Instagram /Facebook /twitter. Do you want colour or black and grey. Do you want to add to it later? Etc. Do you need to be able to cover it for work? What kind of design do you want. These are all questions you need to ask yourself.

I now have a back piece, leg flower, chest, 2 full sleeves, foot and hand done and I've booked my sternum in.

As for whether it hurts that's subjective. I don't think they hurt that much and quite enjoy the pain. I also book 8 hour sessions each time (which works out cheaper booking the day). And have fun with it. It's body art just like a piercing or changing your hair colour except its permanent

Manchester (she/her)

Ooh that's an interesting idea. That might work...

"Has anyone here had a tattoo over scars? Does it take the same and does it hurt more?

My smallest tattoo was probably the most uncomfy - it was over scar tissue and over my ankle bone.

I have to say there's been some great advice here but I sit in the not painful camp. I find it more difficult to stay in one position- a bit like a stress test!

For my last tattoo the guy in the same room as me was being fed painkillers by his lady and the artist had to keep stopping to give him breaks. Very strange affair.

But pain or not make sure you're going to love it afterwards! "

Pain depends entirely on the area also.

My outer calf, outer arms and shoulders, my thigh and inner wrists, back of shoulders, I found a doddle, could have slept, however the belly, hip, inner arm near elbow and armpit were a different story

» Add a new message to this topic