FabSwingers.com

FabSwingers.com > Forums > The Lounge > Did you know that colours dont exists?

Did you know that colours dont exists?

Jump to: Newest in thread

By (user no longer on site) OP     over a year ago

I read somewhere interesting about it that in reality colours dont exists at least not in the literal sense, it is entirely the creation of our brain, only 1 color exists and guess what that is? Yes it the coulr white, what is your view of it?

Reply privately, Reply in forum +quote or View forums list

By *oodnitegirlWoman  over a year ago

Yorkshire

But then why do we all see the same thing? Take the green emoji for example

"But then why do we all see the same thing? Take the green emoji for example "
Because we all have the 3 basic colours that makes up all the coulours it is the rgb reg green and blue.

By (user no longer on site)  over a year ago

"But then why do we all see the same thing? Take the green emoji for example Because we all have the 3 basic colours that makes up all the coulours it is the rgb reg green and blue."

So if we have three basic colours, how can only one colour exist

By *oodnitegirlWoman  over a year ago

Yorkshire

I’m gonna google this.

"But then why do we all see the same thing? Take the green emoji for example Because we all have the 3 basic colours that makes up all the coulours it is the rgb reg green and blue.

So if we have three basic colours, how can only one colour exist"

Because it is the product of our brain to make sense of the world.

"I’m gonna google this. "
Yes good it is very interesting, if you cant see white is also colour you see.

"I’m gonna google this. Yes good it is very interesting, if you cant see white is also colour you see."
White is also the colour you see*

[Removed by poster at 14/01/20 15:14:22]

By *bi HaiveMan  over a year ago
Forum Mod

Cheeseville, Somerset

Except the human eye can distinguish between 7 and 10 million colour variations.

If they don't exist - how can we see them?

A

By *spotpleasurerMan  over a year ago

Norwich

This sounds like nonsense, what do you mean colours don't exist? The human eye detects light between 380-740 nm to be technical, and that covers a lot of colours.

I think you are getting mixed up op.

Because visible white light is made up of a range of colours of the spectrum.

By *ara JTV/TS  over a year ago

Bristol East

"I’m gonna google this. "

I think Shag is right.

But you need a scientific brain to grasp the concept.

When there is no white light, e.g. the sun, colour does not exist.

By *emorefridaCouple  over a year ago

La la land

"I think you are getting mixed up op.

Because visible white light is made up of a range of colours of the spectrum. "

Thought that's why we can see rainbows, because the light scattering? Maybe wrong though

By *bi HaiveMan  over a year ago
Forum Mod

Cheeseville, Somerset

"I’m gonna google this.

I think Shag is right.

"

Flawed theory though.

I'm currently in the bath in a windowless room. I can still see colours with artificial light.

A

By *spotpleasurerMan  over a year ago

Norwich

Seems to be a confusion between different types of light.

Light can be a single wavelength i.e. monochromatic and have only one colour. Many LEDs are monochromatic.

Or you can have light which is a mixture of wavelengths i.e. sunlight. In a rainbow you are seeing these colours separated by the raindrops.

To say the only colour is white is nonsense.

By *ntrepid ExplorersCouple  over a year ago

Birmingham

Blimey, this thread started of as utter nonsense. Glad some science fans (or at least people who remember GCSE Physics a bit) got involved...

No. This is just not true. The original poster is getting several different concepts confused.

1. There is no such thing as white light. The colour that you perceive as 'white" is a result of the 3 types of receptor in your retina getting roughly equal stimulation. Those three types of receptor respond to light at three different frequency spreads (centred on approximately red, green and blue but not precisely - this is why tv systems tend to use rgb). Hence - you can have white light from the sun which contains a mixture of all frequencies and you can also 'see' something as white which has a specific mix of red, green and blue (which is totally different to sunlight but nevertheless will look the same).

2. Monochromatic visible light can have any wavelength from red through to voilet. These pure colours exist.

3. Certain colours that you can 'see' do not actually exist as standalone "colours" (ie wavelengths) of light. For example the colour turquoise or brown that you can see, is a result of a mixture of different colours of light stimulating the light receptors in your retina in appropriate ways.

By *ara JTV/TS  over a year ago

Bristol East

I'm seeing the light now

"I’m gonna google this.

I think Shag is right.

"

That is right it is very scientific too

Birmingham

And obviously "colours" don't literally exist, as they are the brains interpretation of wavelengths of "light".

"I’m gonna google this.

I think Shag is right.

That is right it is very scientific too "

Huh? 'white light such as the sun colour does not exist'?

No.no no no!

The sun appears 'white" because it emits all frequencies of visible light at roughly the same level from red through to violet. Google' visible light spectrum'. There is no such thing as 'white" light, and the thing that you know as "colour" is just the result of cells in your retina responding to different wavelengths of light. The postings on this are confused for the most part. You are misunderstanding whatever it is that you read, or communicating it so poorly that it's rendered nonsensical.

By *azza80Woman  over a year ago

Your wildest Dreams

My head has completely gone reading this, the mind boggles x

By *isaAndNicoleTransTV/TS  over a year ago

Southport / Ellesmere Port

There are actually more colours that some animals can see that even humans can't see e.g. Ultra violet. Most animals, including humans, have 3 colour receptors but there is a shrimp of some kind that has been found to have 12 colour receptors. It must live in some mad fucked up psychedelic world!

By *an For YouMan  over a year ago

belfast/holywood

Air doesn’t exist either

"There are actually more colours that some animals can see that even humans can't see e.g. Ultra violet. Most animals, including humans, have 3 colour receptors but there is a shrimp of some kind that has been found to have 12 colour receptors. It must live in some mad fucked up psychedelic world! "

That's true, sort of.

'light' is used to refer to electromagnetic radiation between certain wavelengths. Outside of that, it is no longer 'light'.

There are indeed wavelengths of EM radiation that we can't see with our eyes - for example ultraviolet, infra red, x rays, radio waves - but they are not "colors" in the sense of the word because 'colour" is just a human concept that describes the way our retina responds to different wavelengths of light. The visible light spectrum is just an arbitrary collection of wavelengths limited by our eyes ability to respond to them.

So, although some animals might have more photo receptors, it doesn't mean they can magically perceive 'colours" in the visible light spectrum that we can not. They might have a wider range - many insects can see ultraviolet - and will certainly see the world differently, but the human eye perceives visible light between red and violet well enough and that determines our whole concept of 'colour'.

If an eye was sensitive to ultraviolet, it might see detail on a surface that looked featureless to an eye that could not respond to ultraviolet. But because that's not a human eye, it's not "colour" in the sense of the word that we refer to it. There is no name for that because we can never experience it - in the same way that we are unable to sense x rays or cosmic rays either.

By *ranny-CrumpetWoman  over a year ago

King's Crustacean

Colours do exist.

When the light from the sun hits a prism and the light is refracted and dispersed we see the colours.

When we see a rainbow it is the raindrops that act as prisms.

Colours are wavelengths as someone said above.

Did you know that a rainbow is a full circle and not an arch as many many people think... ?

The three colours mentioned above would be primary colours of red, blue and yellow ... these exist in their own right. When they mingle other colours such as purple, orange and green are produced those are secondary colours. Keep mixing and you get tertiary colours.

We only see because light is reflected into our eyes and the wavelength coming from the material the light bounced from ( i.e. a flower ) decides its colour.

Being colour blind like myself is a whole different subject

By *uietlykinkymeWoman  over a year ago

kinky land

I thought black and white were shades and not colours

Does it very because of spectrum?

By *ce WingerMan  over a year ago

P.O. Box DE1 0NQ

"My head has completely gone reading this, the mind boggles x"

What colour is a Black Hole then?

King's Crustacean

"I thought black and white were shades and not colours

Does it very because of spectrum?"

Black ...... or dark is the absence of light

King's Crustacean

"My head has completely gone reading this, the mind boggles x

What colour is a Black Hole then? "

Pink on the inside ... ace

"I thought black and white were shades and not colours

Does it very because of spectrum?"

Black is what we see when there is no light of any wavelength hitting that part of our eye. White is what we see when the 3 colour receptors in our eye are stimulated the same. This is where the concept of primary colour comes from (red, green and blue) because those colours adequately stimulate those parts of the eye to allow us to mix them and 'see" other colours.

A poster above mentions yellow as a primary. That's not true in terms of light - yellow is not a colour/wavelength that exists in the spectrum and we can get' yellow" by mixing red and green.

However, yellow is a primary colour only when mixing paint. The reason why is rather complicated and due to the laws of colour subtraction rather than colour addition.

By *ophieslutTV/TS  over a year ago

Central

"But then why do we all see the same thing? Take the green emoji for example "

We don't really know that we do, we'll only ever have our perception of light as well as how we communicate meanings between us.

We've evolved to have the sensory organs and brain that we have, as these were of value to us, in the past. Other forms of life have differing light sensing and perception, theirs being of adaptive benefit, in their niches.

It's fascinating how insects see things so differently, homing in on things that are invisible to us, such as viewing ultra violet markings on flowers.

As it stands at this point in our evolution, a lot of our brain capacity is taken just from the processing and interpretation of what we see. If we had evolved a broader visual ability, our brains may have needed to have been bigger, more complex and this may have been at the cost of other attributes that we have, that have also had adaptive benefits to us. Our brains also require significant levels of energy, so we'd perhaps have been more prone to falling prey to animals etc, in our search for more food, to enable those with broader vision to survive. We've had enough to do very well.

By *hortarseWoman  over a year ago

Norfolk

"I’m gonna google this. Yes good it is very interesting, if you cant see white is also colour you see.White is also the colour you see*"

I get told white not a colour but a shade

Birmingham

"

I get told white not a colour but a shade "

It's EVERY colour

By *ecadent_DevonMan  over a year ago

Okehampton

Kermit...... shit wrong thread, got confused.

By *azza80Woman  over a year ago

Your wildest Dreams

"My head has completely gone reading this, the mind boggles x

What colour is a Black Hole then?

Pink on the inside ... ace"

This hahaha xx

If you are a physicist then the answer is yes, but if you are neuroscientist then it is a no, the reason is that the word colour have multiple definitions

» Add a new message to this topic