FabSwingers.com

FabSwingers.com > Forums > The Lounge > Compound archery

Compound archery

Jump to: Newest in thread

By *ad ste OP   Man  over a year ago

Southport

Compound archery have you had a go ? I'm not been in a while but love the power and skill it takes to hit center target at 50 yards impressive but annoying I've got a couple of Robin Hood arrows

Reply privately, Reply in forum +quote or View forums list

By (user no longer on site)  over a year ago

Nah. Old school medieval longbow for me, keeping it real. Now that's a challenge.

Southport

"Nah. Old school medieval longbow for me, keeping it real. Now that's a challenge. "

I agree longbow is a challenge to shoot consistently longbow would be my second choice recurve is boring

"Nah. Old school medieval longbow for me, keeping it real. Now that's a challenge.

I agree longbow is a challenge to shoot consistently longbow would be my second choice recurve is boring "

They can keep all that aluminium and plastic shit with their sights and their pulleys and their release aids. A 6ft bit of wood with some string tied to it, that's where the real skill lies.

Sorry I’m even more basic, 7m knife and axe throwing....

By *uxom redCouple  over a year ago

Shrewsbury

Used to many years ago was bad at it either.

Southport

"Nah. Old school medieval longbow for me, keeping it real. Now that's a challenge.

I agree longbow is a challenge to shoot consistently longbow would be my second choice recurve is boring

They can keep all that aluminium and plastic shit with their sights and their pulleys and their release aids. A 6ft bit of wood with some string tied to it, that's where the real skill lies."

Maybe but if you want any distance need a bow over 50lb to shoot at that lb takes real skill

"Sorry I’m even more basic, 7m knife and axe throwing...."

Good man.

Southport

"Sorry I’m even more basic, 7m knife and axe throwing...."

That would be fun if making axe and knives first

They can keep all that aluminium and plastic shit with their sights and their pulleys and their release aids. A 6ft bit of wood with some string tied to it, that's where the real skill lies.

Maybe but if you want any distance need a bow over 50lb to shoot at that lb takes real skill"

I own several the heaviest of which is 85lb, good for about 200yds on clout.

Southport

Maybe but if you want any distance need a bow over 50lb to shoot at that lb takes real skill

I own several the heaviest of which is 85lb, good for about 200yds on clout."

The heaviest I have tried 30lb would love to have a go with 85lb or even higher

The heaviest I have tried 30lb would love to have a go with 85lb or even higher "

That kind of weight requires considerable strength. I usually advise people to start fairly light and work up in increments of 10-20lbs. There's no point in buying a bow you can't draw and good ones aren't cheap.

Southport

That kind of weight requires considerable strength. I usually advise people to start fairly light and work up in increments of 10-20lbs. There's no point in buying a bow you can't draw and good ones aren't cheap."

I woudent buy one I don't have the time for my compound but would love to have a got my compund bow is 65lb I do know that it is not that easy with long bow I like to be thrown in at deep end sink or swim if I'm challenging myself then start high aim higher

That kind of weight requires considerable strength. I usually advise people to start fairly light and work up in increments of 10-20lbs. There's no point in buying a bow you can't draw and good ones aren't cheap.

I woudent buy one I don't have the time for my compound but would love to have a got my compund bow is 65lb I do know that it is not that easy with long bow I like to be thrown in at deep end sink or swim if I'm challenging myself then start high aim higher "

If you like, though i wouldn't advise it. If you find 30lb a doddle to draw i suggest you try 50-60lb.

Southport

I woudent buy one I don't have the time for my compound but would love to have a got my compund bow is 65lb I do know that it is not that easy with long bow I like to be thrown in at deep end sink or swim if I'm challenging myself then start high aim higher

If you like, though i wouldn't advise it. If you find 30lb a doddle to draw i suggest you try 50-60lb."

it is not the draw that would be the problem it is holding to aim that is where the challenge comes in

If you like, though i wouldn't advise it. If you find 30lb a doddle to draw i suggest you try 50-60lb. it is not the draw that would be the problem it is holding to aim that is where the challenge comes in "

I'm not doubting your strength i'm just trying to offer some genuine advice to a novice. Even if you can draw a heavy bow what's the point if it makes your arms shake? You'll hit jack shit and probably do yourself an injury. Bear in mind that if you go to a range you're probably going to be shooting for over an hour. Even if you can draw can you sustain it for that length of time? If you overreach yourself you're in for a world of pain. I've seen it many times, above all archery is meant to be fun and where's the fun in that? Whether you take this on board or not at least i hope it allows you to make an informed decision. Good luck.

Southport

If you like, though i wouldn't advise it. If you find 30lb a doddle to draw i suggest you try 50-60lb. it is not the draw that would be the problem it is holding to aim that is where the challenge comes in

I'm not doubting your strength i'm just trying to offer some genuine advice to a novice. Even if you can draw a heavy bow what's the point if it makes your arms shake? You'll hit jack shit and probably do yourself an injury. Bear in mind that if you go to a range you're probably going to be shooting for over an hour. Even if you can draw can you sustain it for that length of time? If you overreach yourself you're in for a world of pain. I've seen it many times, above all archery is meant to be fun and where's the fun in that? Whether you take this on board or not at least i hope it allows you to make an informed decision. Good luck."

I am listening to you're advice and taking note it is a while since iv been to the range to shoot due to life getting in the way I ust to shoot for 2 hours min another problem I have is I shoot left handed long bow recurve right-handed compound so practice with low lb to start probably for the best I'd just like to have a go with high lb long bow see what I am capable of pain is normally a good indicator that I'm doing something wrong and need to adjust technique and style the technique and style for a long bow is world's apart from a compound that sounds a bit crazy but I refused to wear an arm guard the reason for this is no one needs to wear an if you're doing it right then the string will never hit your arm if it does it's a sharp reminder to get it right next time

If you like, though i wouldn't advise it. If you find 30lb a doddle to draw i suggest you try 50-60lb. it is not the draw that would be the problem it is holding to aim that is where the challenge comes in

I'm not doubting your strength i'm just trying to offer some genuine advice to a novice. Even if you can draw a heavy bow what's the point if it makes your arms shake? You'll hit jack shit and probably do yourself an injury. Bear in mind that if you go to a range you're probably going to be shooting for over an hour. Even if you can draw can you sustain it for that length of time? If you overreach yourself you're in for a world of pain. I've seen it many times, above all archery is meant to be fun and where's the fun in that? Whether you take this on board or not at least i hope it allows you to make an informed decision. Good luck.

I am listening to you're advice and taking note it is a while since iv been to the range to shoot due to life getting in the way I ust to shoot for 2 hours min another problem I have is I shoot left handed long bow recurve right-handed compound so practice with low lb to start probably for the best I'd just like to have a go with high lb long bow see what I am capable of pain is normally a good indicator that I'm doing something wrong and need to adjust technique and style the technique and style for a long bow is world's apart from a compound that sounds a bit crazy but I refused to wear an arm guard the reason for this is no one needs to wear an if you're doing it right then the string will never hit your arm if it does it's a sharp reminder to get it right next time"

I always wear an arm guard, whether the string hits your arm or not has more to do with the bow being set up with the correct brace (the distance between the string and the grip) than good technique. It's just common sense.

But i wasn't referring to that more the torn back and shoulder muscles. Imagine that shooting is like weightlifting only it's completely one sided.

Southport

I am listening to you're advice and taking note it is a while since iv been to the range to shoot due to life getting in the way I ust to shoot for 2 hours min another problem I have is I shoot left handed long bow recurve right-handed compound so practice with low lb to start probably for the best I'd just like to have a go with high lb long bow see what I am capable of pain is normally a good indicator that I'm doing something wrong and need to adjust technique and style the technique and style for a long bow is world's apart from a compound that sounds a bit crazy but I refused to wear an arm guard the reason for this is no one needs to wear an if you're doing it right then the string will never hit your arm if it does it's a sharp reminder to get it right next time

I always wear an arm guard, whether the string hits your arm or not has more to do with the bow being set up with the correct brace (the distance between the string and the grip) than good technique. It's just common sense.

But i wasn't referring to that more the torn back and shoulder muscles. Imagine that shooting is like weightlifting only it's completely one sided."

With my compound I have only ever hit my arm a few times on those occasions when I first started I was wearing a long arm guard that came up past my elbow the string actually went between the arm guard and my arm and caused the nasty little bruise I was told I was doing it wrong and instructed on how to do it right after that I didn't hit my arm anymore and never wear an arm guard after that I realise it may be different for long bow

I haven't done it myself an injury so far I started off on a 65 lb compound bow although no I had an aching shoulder afterwards I continue to push myself and very soon after there was no pain as I had got used to the wait I can tell lqr a very seasoned Archer and clearly have the knowledge and skills it takes to shoot longbow I always listen on here any advice given and choose to listen to what I feel is good advice I just want to have a go at a higher powered long longbow it's not about being perfect first time just having a crack at it to be honest I don't think a longbow would be for me but I'd love to have a go anyway not just a shooting the actual making not the bowl I'm realistic it takes years of practice to make a good one but the arrows I would really like to have a go at making

» Add a new message to this topic