FabSwingers.com

FabSwingers.com > Forums > The Lounge > Is a cashless society good?

Is a cashless society good?

Jump to: Newest in thread

By (user no longer on site) OP     over a year ago

I dont think it is cos imagine if there is a war starting or an emergency noone could get out any money to escape and as well those who cant afford to have it, it is yes handy to have cards but it has its good and and bad points.

Reply privately, Reply in forum +quote or View forums list

By (user no longer on site)  over a year ago

Pretty crap for the homeless too

Our local pub lost its broadband for ten days over Christmas and so have been cash only and that’s cost them an awful lot of business.

By *arlomaleMan  over a year ago

darlington

One way of putting drug dealers out of business and any other illegal activities or at least the scum bags can’t hide there illicit money and pay tax on it

"One way of putting drug dealers out of business and any other illegal activities or at least the scum bags can’t hide there illicit money and pay tax on it "

You can easily buy wee card swipers. I saw a post on fb that a guy who was dealing, had the option to pay by card

I live in Sweden which is pretty much a cashless society now. Every where still accepts cash for now but it is slowly being phased out.

The options for making a purchase almost everywhere are cash, card or Swish.

Swish is an app based transaction and is instant. You can pay to a business or to a friend if their account is set up. Its really useful but dangerous at the same time.

Due to how things work over here everything is split when with friends etc. So a restaurant trip will equate to everyone paying for what they had where as I've always been used to either covering the tab and it being covered by someone else next time (close friends and family) or split same number of ways as people. This just doesn't work here at all. Normally either the pub/restaurant/etc will have people paying individually with individual order/receipt or they will tot up who has had what and they pay, this slows things down immensely.

My understanding is people do the same thing on a date and I've a few friends who are non swedes who find it kills the night a little.

By *arlomaleMan  over a year ago

darlington

"One way of putting drug dealers out of business and any other illegal activities or at least the scum bags can’t hide there illicit money and pay tax on it

You can easily buy wee card swipers. I saw a post on fb that a guy who was dealing, had the option to pay by card "

mind I suppose it doesn’t take long for the crims to find away around it but surely it would make it more awkward for organised crime

Lot of drug transactions on the dark web with crypto currency so cash won’t affect it

No, i have a savings account just because i have to for a mortgage and bills ect, i use cash day to day. I went to get a new harley before christmas and they wouldnt accept cash payment, theyd only accept 500 in cash at a single time. I had to get a relative to come up buy it and i gave him the cash.

"Pretty crap for the homeless too

Our local pub lost its broadband for ten days over Christmas and so have been cash only and that’s cost them an awful lot of business. "

Yes it is not good for the homeless and as well you cant pay with money on the buses either.

"I live in Sweden which is pretty much a cashless society now. Every where still accepts cash for now but it is slowly being phased out.

The options for making a purchase almost everywhere are cash, card or Swish.

Swish is an app based transaction and is instant. You can pay to a business or to a friend if their account is set up. Its really useful but dangerous at the same time.

Due to how things work over here everything is split when with friends etc. So a restaurant trip will equate to everyone paying for what they had where as I've always been used to either covering the tab and it being covered by someone else next time (close friends and family) or split same number of ways as people. This just doesn't work here at all. Normally either the pub/restaurant/etc will have people paying individually with individual order/receipt or they will tot up who has had what and they pay, this slows things down immensely.

My understanding is people do the same thing on a date and I've a few friends who are non swedes who find it kills the night a little. "

Hej. I come from sweden but live in london and yes I think that sweden is the first cashless society and yes just to get a coffee you have to have a card for that.

By *ittleMissCaliWoman  over a year ago

trouble most likely, or creating it :)

I still use cash mostly. Much prefer it x

No. The only ones who will benefit will the the government who are already fucking people over for taxes.

They make up laws just to get our money. They're the real crooks.

I'm just trying to make ends meet. Let there be cash forever, I say.

"No, i have a savings account just because i have to for a mortgage and bills ect, i use cash day to day. I went to get a new harley before christmas and they wouldnt accept cash payment, theyd only accept 500 in cash at a single time. I had to get a relative to come up buy it and i gave him the cash."

It used to be 9 grand cash for a car and now that's changed to I think 6.

Recently I tried to open an account with the post office and they wouldn't take cash!

"No, i have a savings account just because i have to for a mortgage and bills ect, i use cash day to day. I went to get a new harley before christmas and they wouldnt accept cash payment, theyd only accept 500 in cash at a single time. I had to get a relative to come up buy it and i gave him the cash.

Recently I tried to open an account with the post office and they wouldn't take cash!

"

Im not sure what it is, the bike was 16k, they just wouldnt take it. Its a nuisance really they just want to sign up finance everywhere.

By *ueen of sleezeWoman  over a year ago

Yorkshire

A cashless society is not good for me.

I am a coin collector lol

"No, i have a savings account just because i have to for a mortgage and bills ect, i use cash day to day. I went to get a new harley before christmas and they wouldnt accept cash payment, theyd only accept 500 in cash at a single time. I had to get a relative to come up buy it and i gave him the cash.

Im not sure what it is, the bike was 16k, they just wouldnt take it. Its a nuisance really they just want to sign up finance everywhere. "

Yeah when I bought my van they were wanted me to buy it on finance.

That's what most people do now. I rather pay for something and get it off my mind.

By *ensualbicockMan  over a year ago

liverpool wavertree picton clock

[Removed by poster at 08/01/20 09:50:24]

Consumer society. Who doesn’t love using contactless or Applepay? Getting stuff for free aren’t we? Will be interesting to see how many more people have debts that are spiralling out of control

Fuck no, soon we will be micro-chipped, and will pay for things via scan er as we walk out the shops. We are humans not fucking robots fuck society. Always making us do shit we didn't sign up for.

Not thank you.

Jobs where people survive off "keep the change" tips for their day to day essentials like hairdressers, taxi drivers, waitresses etc would really struggle.

I would need to take on a second job just to make ends meet, which in our place is frowned upon as it limits your work availability, so they'll take on someone else without other ties and filter you out

P

By *o_eye_deerMan  over a year ago

The South Near That London

[Removed by poster at 08/01/20 12:06:52]

By *o_eye_deerMan  over a year ago

The South Near That London

"No, i have a savings account just because i have to for a mortgage and bills ect, i use cash day to day. I went to get a new harley before christmas and they wouldnt accept cash payment, theyd only accept 500 in cash at a single time. I had to get a relative to come up buy it and i gave him the cash."

it might be down to their insurance not covering them for large cash amounts on the premises, plus they would have trouble themselves banking a large amount, not too mention the charges they would pay for banking cash.

For the motor trade there is so little margin on the car/bike that they make most of their money on financial products so a cash buyer is seen as a non-earner.

By *aitonelMan  over a year ago

Liverpool

It has its pros and it has its cons.

To go truely digital with no physical cash would require changes to go with it, but it could work with changes introduce.

Just look at how the amazon stores are currently working. You swipe in, you pick up what you want to buy, you walk out. It logs what you took and charges your amazon account. Sure it still has things that need ironing out but it has potential to work in other forms of business too.

The world changes and adapts. Less and less younger people carry cash, or carry less of it because they are used to not needing to. Older generations are still clinging to past habits and traditions and can't always envision what it would be like without.

Im not championing for it, just that I can see the potential it can bring.

Sweden is so expensive that you'd need an armoured truck to carry enough cash for anything useful

By *uietlykinkymeWoman  over a year ago

kinky land

I rarely carry cash.

Where I go and where I usually shop I don't need it.

Yes there are a few small shops that don't accept card/phone payments, I don't shop there. I get e-receipts and use dd were possible too.

Even my children have contactless cards

The amount of stuff on actual money

"I rarely carry cash.

Yes there are a few small shops that don't accept card/phone payments, I don't shop there. I get e-receipts and use dd were possible too.

The amount of stuff on actual money "

Big brother is watching your every move. using cards tracks your movements and purchases, that's how companies can target marketing at an individual.

There may be some places that you don't want to be tracked though

The only thing I use my card for is online purchases, like Amazon and hotel bookings. I just prefer using cash, it makes it easier for me to keep an eye on what I spend.

By *uietlykinkymeWoman  over a year ago

kinky land

"I rarely carry cash.

The amount of stuff on actual money

Big brother is watching your every move. using cards tracks your movements and purchases, that's how companies can target marketing at an individual.

There may be some places that you don't want to be tracked though

"

I have no issue with that.

I see a benefit in it (despite my shame at the amount of Costa transactions )

Barclays haven't tried flogging me coffee or underwear so I assume you mean social media will track me.

Except I don't have the Facebook app. I value my contacts. I don't tweet. I don't insta. I don't kik.

I also don't have my location on unless I need it. I don't give apps permission to access my location without my turning it on. I don't give apps access to my contacts or camera either.

I live my life. I don't feel the need to update apps as to when I flush the toilet.

And tracking my daughter's if they go off the radar; using card payments and CCTV

Absol-bloody-lutely! Technology is there, I would want our police force to use it

I prefer to get paid in cash and i prefer to make purchases the same way. For me that keeps things simple and makes managing finances easier.

I get that some people and businesses like the convenience of cashless transactions but i'm afraid i just don't trust the technology. It's happened all too often where people haven't been paid or been unable to make purchases because the system's collapsed. You always know where you are with cash.

By *hMyGawdCouple  over a year ago

Midlands

It'll massively reduce a lot of illegal activity.

From "cash in hand" untaxed work to drug dealing.

Probably do more good than harm.

Midlands

"For the motor trade there is so little margin on the car/bike"

You're joking right?

I make up to 1000% margin on a car.

"For the motor trade there is so little margin on the car/bike

You're joking right?

I make up to 1000% margin on a car."

Is that a typo ? 1000% even 10% is great these days

By *onglegs888Couple  over a year ago

Birmingham

Well it’s not bad......

Huge amount of pros/cons to both arguments. The reality is we are a long way of being 100% cashless but the amount of businesses that operate cashless will(and is) increase as consumer demand goes that way. Like a lot of things it’s also quite generational.

The one thing I Do know is a lot of self employed folk are shitting themselves at the thought of having to declare and pay tax on their actual income !!!

No i miss cash in hand jobs hate paying tax

Midlands

You're joking right?

Is that a typo ? 1000% even 10% is great these days "

On the right classic, niche and barn-find cars, that is absolutely possible.

Mainstream cars are not worthwhile anymore.

You're joking right?

Is that a typo ? 1000% even 10% is great these days

On the right classic, niche and barn-find cars, that is absolutely possible.

Mainstream cars are not worthwhile anymore."

Yes I spose they are out there.. but people are switched on now days.... bloody internet

Midlands

"No i miss cash in hand jobs hate paying tax"

You hate paying for the NHS and schools?

Birmingham

[Removed by poster at 08/01/20 16:01:05]

"One way of putting drug dealers out of business and any other illegal activities or at least the scum bags can’t hide there illicit money and pay tax on it

You can easily buy wee card swipers. I saw a post on fb that a guy who was dealing, had the option to pay by card mind I suppose it doesn’t take long for the crims to find away around it but surely it would make it more awkward for organised crime "

it's so easy now dark web is full of dealers even pay pal but still want a cash society how else will I get cash in hand jobs

Birmingham

"No i miss cash in hand jobs hate paying tax

You hate paying for the NHS and schools?"

I wouldn’t limit it to NHS. And schools... I’d throw society in general in there.

erm yeah lol obviously lol

You can easily buy wee card swipers. I saw a post on fb that a guy who was dealing, had the option to pay by card mind I suppose it doesn’t take long for the crims to find away around it but surely it would make it more awkward for organised crime it's so easy now dark web is full of dealers even pay pal but still want a cash society how else will I get cash in hand jobs "

Dark webb virtually closed down...the "Google " of dark webb was taken down... Not sure why this wasn't done years ago but at least it has now

Power cut or telecoms cut off for whatever reason. You have no money. As it’s in a system you can’t acess

How do you know it goes towards the NHS and schools? Just because they tell you lol.

For all we know the people in government are pissing it up the wall.

By *ara JTV/TS  over a year ago

Bristol East

"I dont think it is cos imagine if there is a war starting or an emergency noone could get out any money to escape and as well those who cant afford to have it, it is yes handy to have cards but it has its good and and bad points."

That's because the money doesn't actually exist.

By *ophieslutTV/TS  over a year ago

Central

No, it's certainly not a good idea at present. It gives. Too much. Power away from the citizens, potentially into the hands of unscrupulous states, corporations or individuals.

People have important rights to freedom of choice, independence and use of their own assets to do as they wish.

We are currently in a world where surveillance is endemic and giving over our money to be completely controlled by a system that sees and knows everything about how you spend your money is too much liberty stripped away. At present you are the new gold rush or oil boom asset that is being traded - your data - but you don't own your data, others do, which is inequitable. $billions are made from the sale of our highly personal data. Incorporating total financial data of us into that, is not needed or warranted.

Worse is likely to come, as the owners of artificial intelligence would be the predicted super powers of the near future, with greater powers than the state and who will be able to create their own intelligence and assessment of you - and their perception of you may not be positive. They will be able to influence your present and future in whichever ways they want. There's no control over how these mega rich corporations utilise artificial intelligence development, nor how that may control your destiny. Money may seem simple but that is a reflection of how essential it is for our total survival in the world today. It's fundamentally wrong to give absolute control of your survival over to technology, which rests in the hands of some highly dubious organizations, with.absent reputations for reliability and moral scruples.

By *orbidden eastMan  over a year ago

london dodging electric scooters

I don’t think it’s a good thing. I think most not all will not understand the value of money because it is all too easy to pull out your card

By *ophieslutTV/TS  over a year ago

Central

If there are 2 things that are not deserving of the amount of trust they have, it's banks and technology. Throw in the fact that governments don't always look out for the best interests of all citizens and it's not a good recipe

By *lem-H-FandangoMan  over a year ago

salisbury

I think it's a great idea that someone will always know where you are, what you're buying and how often.

"A cashless society is not good for me.

I am a coin collector lol"

That is right and I like to feel the coins and notes as well I like the texture of it

I like cash, but the more I have in my pockets the faster I spend it.

» Add a new message to this topic