FabSwingers.com

FabSwingers.com > Forums > The Lounge > Bastard cars

Bastard cars

Jump to: Newest in thread

By (user no longer on site) OP     over a year ago

Really pissed off, think I must have the worst luck with cars! Third one in under a year with a possible blown head gasket! Seriously can’t believe it, I do all the checks, always make sure they are serviced, always check the oil and water, and still they go wrong!! Bollocks!! That’s better, needed to vent, thanks.

Reply privately, Reply in forum +quote or View forums list

By *partharmonyCouple  over a year ago

Ruislip

That's really shit. I feel for you. I take it there's no warranty?

"That's really shit. I feel for you. I take it there's no warranty? "

Thanks, but no, it’s an older car, only had it since august, but it’s all I could afford.

By *arksxMan  over a year ago

Leicester / London

That is shite

Certain engines are more prone to it.

I have vehicle sourcing agency... Let me know if i can help

"That is shite

I have vehicle sourcing agency... Let me know if i can help"

Many thanks, will do. Kia are meant to be reliable I’m told.

By (user no longer on site)  over a year ago

Did you buy privately each time op? If so I would suggest going through a dealership as I think you get a 6 month warranty in most when you buy a used car. Otherwise maybe go for a new one.

"Did you buy privately each time op? If so I would suggest going through a dealership as I think you get a 6 month warranty in most when you buy a used car. Otherwise maybe go for a new one."

Funds don’t allow a new one I’m afraid, and last time I bought through a dealership, they didn’t pay the warranty company so they refused to cover the car I’d bought.

"Did you buy privately each time op? If so I would suggest going through a dealership as I think you get a 6 month warranty in most when you buy a used car. Otherwise maybe go for a new one.

Funds don’t allow a new one I’m afraid, and last time I bought through a dealership, they didn’t pay the warranty company so they refused to cover the car I’d bought. "

Jeez. You really havent had much luck with vehicle or their sellers. If I buy privately I take a mechanic with me, but they cant see everything by just having a quick look round the car. Still, it's worked for me but I might just have been lucky. Hope you get back on the road soon anyway OP and that you aren't too much out of pocket.

Leicester / London

"That is shite

Many thanks, will do. Kia/ are meant to be reliable I’m told."

Kia/Hyundai has lots of ex vw staff on their board.

Persoanly I think their cars are better

The 1.7 diesel engine they make is very reliable just don't expect beat anyone of the lights.

If you cna afford sit look at Hyundai i40

"Did you buy privately each time op? If so I would suggest going through a dealership as I think you get a 6 month warranty in most when you buy a used car. Otherwise maybe go for a new one.

Funds don’t allow a new one I’m afraid, and last time I bought through a dealership, they didn’t pay the warranty company so they refused to cover the car I’d bought.

Jeez. You really havent had much luck with vehicle or their sellers. If I buy privately I take a mechanic with me, but they cant see everything by just having a quick look round the car. Still, it's worked for me but I might just have been lucky. Hope you get back on the road soon anyway OP and that you aren't too much out of pocket."

Thanks dude, me too.

"That is shite

Many thanks, will do. Kia/ are meant to be reliable I’m told.

The 1.7 diesel engine they make is very reliable just don't expect beat anyone of the lights.

"

Thanks, got a pro cee’d 1.6 petrol at the minute, but that depends on what the garage says tomorrow.

I've had a bit of grief with my workhorse this past year.

Bought it in May 2018 with a full service history.

This would suggest correct and timely Timing belt service, yes?

Wrong. Probably was done, but not properly. My engine has two belts - an upper and a lower.

When my engine was initially launched, lower one was a chain, but on 2007 Ford changed the design to a 'wet belt'.

A lot of independent garages aren't aware of this and so assume it's still a chain and so only service the upper belt.

So, my lower belt failed, mashong my engine.

I've never trusted garages anyway and rebuilt the engine, and all is well again.

Cars can be a pain in the arse sonetimes, but always be prepared to expect the unexpected with an older motor

"I've had a bit of grief with my workhorse this past year.

Bought it in May 2018 with a full service history.

This would suggest correct and timely Timing belt service, yes?

Wrong. Probably was done, but not properly. My engine has two belts - an upper and a lower.

When my engine was initially launched, lower one was a chain, but on 2007 Ford changed the design to a 'wet belt'.

A lot of independent garages aren't aware of this and so assume it's still a chain and so only service the upper belt.

So, my lower belt failed, mashong my engine.

I've never trusted garages anyway and rebuilt the engine, and all is well again.

Cars can be a pain in the arse sonetimes, but always be prepared to expect the unexpected with an older motor"

Yeah, mine has a very complete history too, including a replacement timing chain and water pump, all within the last two years. I think I’m just good at buying lemons..

Leicester / London

"That is shite

Many thanks, will do. Kia/ are meant to be reliable I’m told.

Thanks, got a pro cee’d 1.6 petrol at the minute, but that depends on what the garage says tomorrow."

Those petrol engines are an old design now.

I find they get hardife becuase yiu really have ring their neck.

If i can help more though let me.

Sou da like some people in this thread have really delt with crap garages.

Funds don’t allow a new one I’m afraid, and last time I bought through a dealership, they didn’t pay the warranty company so they refused to cover the car I’d bought. "

Which is against the law now. Car dealers are required to provide 6 month warranty by law

Kia are great. However do you use asda/supermarket fuel? Theres been real issues with the use of supermarket fuel & headgasket failure, its a question i ask when doing headgaskets majority of failed gaskets typically use supermarket fuel, you get such poor detonation in the cylinders.

By *uHorny1Man  over a year ago

Cannock

"That is shite

Many thanks, will do. Kia are meant to be reliable I’m told."

Had a Kia from new with a 7 year warranty. 10 years on, have had nothing go wrong- not even bulbs.

Great little car, would highly recommend

By *illy999TV/TS  over a year ago

Taunton

"Really pissed off, think I must have the worst luck with cars! Third one in under a year with a possible blown head gasket! Seriously can’t believe it, I do all the checks, always make sure they are serviced, always check the oil and water, and still they go wrong!! Bollocks!! That’s better, needed to vent, thanks."

Maybe the cars you bought already had a blown head gasket ? Normally the oil when dipped will appear "frothy"...

??

By *m3232Man  over a year ago

maidenhead

The trouble is lots of people sell there cars for a reason so lots of hidden problems waiting to happen to the unlucky.

I have also said it’s amazing how many cars I see being in the industry go wrong with new owners. It’s mad it’s almost like they have a heart attack going to a new owner with the change of driving lol.

By *otsossieMan  over a year ago

Chesterfield

"Had a Kia from new with a 7 year warranty. 10 years on, have had nothing go wrong- not even bulbs.

Great little car, would highly recommend "

Flip side is mine had a wiring fault on the turbo, ate washer jet motors, the alloys flaked, and the reversing camera housing corroded to dust

"Maybe the cars you bought already had a blown head gasket ? Normally the oil when dipped will appear "frothy"...

??"

Not always. All depends on where the gasket has failed.

By *2000ManMan  over a year ago

Worthing

o/p where do you have it serviced? I have mine serviced at a local and well known garage. Has a very good reputation and never let me down. Reading the posts, there was one regarding the 2 cam belts on Fords. Yes they did this and pointed it out to me. Maybe change garages?

Thanks guys, cars are always serviced by a local garage that I’ve never had cause not to trust, in fact have saved me money in the past. I have however been using supermarket fuel recently, so that will be a change I will make. As for the cars already having issues, it is possible, although I have had them all checked over by garages, I think I’ve just had shitty luck and combine it with cheap fuel and that could be the issue.

» Add a new message to this topic