FabSwingers.com

FabSwingers.com > Forums > The Lounge > Under investigation

Under investigation

Jump to: Newest in thread

By (user no longer on site) OP     over a year ago

I’ve just had a letter saying I’m under investigation for not having a tv licence

I live in a tower block, how easy is it for them 2 investigate

Reply privately, Reply in forum +quote or View forums list

By (user no longer on site)  over a year ago

It is rather easy they look at what addresses don't have a TV licence.

They'll come to your flat and ask to look around.

I think by law you dont have to let them in but they'll take you to court

By *exi7000Couple  over a year ago

London

"I’ve just had a letter saying I’m under investigation for not having a tv licence

I live in a tower block, how easy is it for them 2 investigate"

They can come one evening, and knock on the door, and check for a TV. They come with police for support. That is how easy is.

Do you watch or record live tv? On any channel?

By *dam1971Man  over a year ago

Bedford

"I live in a tower block, how easy is it for them 2 investigate"

Unless they’re all Daleks that can’t climb stairs and your lift is broken, it’s easy

By *est Wales WifeCouple  over a year ago

Near Carmarthen

They have no powers at all. Just goons who try to intimidate. Say nothing, let no one in.

Google for TV Licence Resistance Forum and read the advice there (and ask questions if you wish).

Basically they can only catch people who incriminate themselves.

Easy way out

Buy a tv licence

The law says you need to be covered by a TV Licence to:

watch or record programmes as they’re being shown on TV, on any channel

watch or stream programmes live on an online TV service (such as ITV Hub, All 4, YouTube, Amazon Prime Video, Now TV, Sky Go, etc.)

download or watch any BBC programmes on iPlayer.

This applies to any device you use, including a TV, desktop computer, laptop, mobile phone, tablet, games console, digital box or DVD/VHS recorder.

Go buy one you tight arse, or just don't allow them in without a warrant

By (user no longer on site) OP     over a year ago

"Easy way out

Buy a tv licence "

I don’t mean how easy is it for them to get in the block and come to my door I mean how easy is it for them? In the fact that aerials are communal

You could eat your telly

A la The Young Ones

Near Carmarthen

"Easy way out

I mean how easy is it for them? In the fact that aerials are communal"

As I said (unless they have a warrant which is a different issue) it's virtually impossible. They are paid commission to get people to sign up and they use a series of intimidating letters designed to frighten.

If people ignore the letters and say NOTHING they are virtually powerless.

"Easy way out

Buy a tv licence I don’t mean how easy is it for them to get in the block and come to my door I mean how easy is it for them? In the fact that aerials are communal"

Ah, you mean like in the olden dats when they used the ploy of the TV detector van?

All utter bullshit!

Why would they need special equipment to detect a TV. They'd just visit addresses that don't have a license, on the assumption that everyone has a telly.

By *amissCouple  over a year ago

chelmsford

"Easy way out

Buy a tv licence I don’t mean how easy is it for them to get in the block and come to my door I mean how easy is it for them? In the fact that aerials are communal"

I would imagine that all apartments are fed by it, so they would know the addresses and they would know if you hadn't bought a licence

By *ty31Man  over a year ago

NW London

"I’ve just had a letter saying I’m under investigation for not having a tv licence

They can come one evening, and knock on the door, and check for a TV. They come with police for support. That is how easy is. "

When they come round unplug and hide the telly, they only have powers to check for the TV not to search for it.

By *hloevtTV/TS  over a year ago

norwich

It's tax, so they go on the assumption that you have a device that can receive BBC, take you to court and then it's up to you to prove that you don't, as it's a tax your stuffed , x

chelmsford

They can come one evening, and knock on the door, and check for a TV. They come with police for support. That is how easy is.

When they come round unplug and hide the telly, they only have powers to check for the TV not to search for it."

Why not just pay the licence fee?

By *ebjonnsonMan  over a year ago

Maldon

It could be a scam so be careful. I read something about this last year.

By *ty31Man  over a year ago

NW London

When they come round unplug and hide the telly, they only have powers to check for the TV not to search for it.,

Why not just pay the licence fee?"

Some people struggle to afford it.

Some do it to make a stubborn point.

Others are just tight bastards.

---

(I have a licence btw)

Having spoken to the tv licence people honestly and openly (and received a rebate), I have been told o do not need one as I only use netflix and prime.

As I do not watch any BBC programmes live or pre-recorded, I do not need a license.

Call them and ask, they are pretty reasonable to chat to and can tell you exactly what's what

chelmsford

When they come round unplug and hide the telly, they only have powers to check for the TV not to search for it.,

---

(I have a licence btw)"

I have a licence too

By *SAchickWoman  over a year ago

Hillside desolate

When they come round unplug and hide the telly, they only have powers to check for the TV not to search for it."

You're allowed to have a TV and no TV license, no need to hide it.

chelmsford

"Having spoken to the tv licence people honestly and openly (and received a rebate), I have been told o do not need one as I only use netflix and prime.

As I do not watch any BBC programmes live or pre-recorded, I do not need a license.

Call them and ask, they are pretty reasonable to chat to and can tell you exactly what's what "

Good idea it can be confusing

Near Carmarthen

"I

"

Unless they have a warrant which is a different matter they have no powers to enter your premises or check anything. So say nothing and close the door if they come knocking. If you are confident and want some fun just video them on your phone then post the video on the TV Licence Resistance Forum I mentioned before. They hate that.

It's perfectly legal to have a TV and not a licence (for example to watch Netflix and listen to the radio channels on)

"Easy way out

Just refuse entry and tell them to politely get fucked.

Job done

---

(I have a licence btw)"

I don't and I refuse to pay for government propaganda.

Ps I'm one of two

By *dam1971Man  over a year ago

Bedford

"I

Unless they have a warrant which is a different matter they have no powers to enter your premises or check anything. So say nothing and close the door if they come knocking. If you are confident and want some fun just video them on your phone then post the video on the TV Licence Resistance Forum I mentioned before. They hate that.

It's perfectly legal to have a TV and not a licence (for example to watch Netflix and listen to the radio channels on)"

But not BBC radio, obviously.

By *ce WingerMan  over a year ago

P.O. Box DE1 0NQ

"Easy way out

Buy a tv licence I don’t mean how easy is it for them to get in the block and come to my door I mean how easy is it for them? In the fact that aerials are communal

Ah, you mean like in the olden dats when they used the ploy of the TV detector van?

All utter bullshit!

Why would they need special equipment to detect a TV. They'd just visit addresses that don't have a license, on the assumption that everyone has a telly."

You can only detect a signal that's being sent, not received.

I live in a communal block of flats and the aerial is directly above my bedroom window, when I open it in summer, the birds line up to perch on the aerial and shit on ma window

Anyway, there's 26 of us here, and as far as I'm aware, not one of us has got a licence. I've been here for more than 6 years, and anything that is addressed to The Occupier, goes straight in the recycling bin

Lot of ladies on fab all have a licence they always advertise they love the BBC

"You could eat your telly

A la The Young Ones"

Thank you so much for this, I'm so glad I wasn't the only one who thought of it

By *octor DeleriumMan  over a year ago

Bristol

"You can only detect a signal that's being sent, not received."

Not entirely true.

Almost all electronic products, including video display terminals, emit electromagnetic radiation.

The type and level of radiation emitted depends on the device; a television display is (obviously) emitting visible radiation (light spectrum) and sound (radio frequency radiation), it's also emitting thermal radiation.

Old television sets, using cathode ray tubes, produce internal X radiation and the tube facing is designed to filter this out.

Whilst it is possible to detect a working television using electronic equipment the television licence people, generally, don't.

They rely on individuals incriminating themselves e.g. an operating television can be seen through the front window, or can be heard, if you answer the door when a Capita goon comes calling*.

*Other than is specially authorised circumstances TV licence Capita goons do not operate after 9 pm Monday - Friday and 6 pm at weekends.

P.O. Box DE1 0NQ

"You can only detect a signal that's being sent, not received.

Not entirely true.

Almost all electronic products, including video display terminals, emit electromagnetic radiation.

The type and level of radiation emitted depends on the device; a television display is (obviously) emitting visible radiation (light spectrum) and sound (radio frequency radiation), it's also emitting thermal radiation.

Old television sets, using cathode ray tubes, produce internal X radiation and the tube facing is designed to filter this out.

Whilst it is possible to detect a working television using electronic equipment the television licence people, generally, don't.

They rely on individuals incriminating themselves e.g. an operating television can be seen through the front window, or can be heard, if you answer the door when a Capita goon comes calling*.

*Other than is specially authorised circumstances TV licence Capita goons do not operate after 9 pm Monday - Friday and 6 pm at weekends."

Cheers for that buddy, but they would need a fireman's ladder to see through my window cos I live on the top floor

By *octor DeleriumMan  over a year ago

Bristol

"Cheers for that buddy, but they would need a fireman's ladder to see through my window cos I live on the top floor "

You're very welcome.

I had a goon turn up on the doorstep a couple of years ago when I happened to be at home during the day.

He asked if I had a television and I replied that I had but didn't watch actual television, using it for DVDs, Blu-Rays and gaming.

He made a record of my reply and informed me that TV Licencing would write to me in 4 years time to see if my circumstances had changed.

I'll expect the usual barrage of letters, with increasing amounts of red ink and capitalisation, in 2022.

U asked this 6 days ago

Opt out on line takes 5mins it lasts for 2 years then you have to opt out again. You have to log out of catch up on BBC and don't watch live tv other than that your free to watch tv haven't had a tv licence for years because I don't watch BBC of live tv catch up, Netflix and Amazon prime do me fine.

"Opt out on line takes 5mins it lasts for 2 years then you have to opt out again. You have to log out of catch up on BBC and don't watch live tv other than that your free to watch tv haven't had a tv licence for years because I don't watch BBC of live tv catch up, Netflix and Amazon prime do me fine. "

What if you have iplayer app on your phone or laptop?

By *evil_u_knowMan  over a year ago

city

Answer the door to them with your tv on behind you. Thats how easy it is.

By *alldarksurreyMan  over a year ago

surrey

Op do you own the flat or are you renting? If you rent it dig out the tenancy contract you have signed and read what it says about having a tv licence, some included it in the rental fee and others say its up to you to pay for it yourself.

"Opt out on line takes 5mins it lasts for 2 years then you have to opt out again. You have to log out of catch up on BBC and don't watch live tv other than that your free to watch tv haven't had a tv licence for years because I don't watch BBC of live tv catch up, Netflix and Amazon prime do me fine.

What if you have iplayer app on your phone or laptop?"

then log out and deleate the app, you have to log in to iPlayer now so if you log in they know who is using it quite simple for them to check now its all on line. Only thing I Have struggled with is peaky blinders but just watched them at a freinds

"Opt out on line takes 5mins it lasts for 2 years then you have to opt out again. You have to log out of catch up on BBC and don't watch live tv other than that your free to watch tv haven't had a tv licence for years because I don't watch BBC of live tv catch up, Netflix and Amazon prime do me fine.

What if you have iplayer app on your phone or laptop? then log out and deleate the app, you have to log in to iPlayer now so if you log in they know who is using it quite simple for them to check now its all on line. Only thing I Have struggled with is peaky blinders but just watched them at a freinds "

Ah I see. I’ve always paid it monthly. Didn’t realise you didn’t have to.

By *otsossieMan  over a year ago

Chesterfield

"Cheers for that buddy, but they would need a fireman's ladder to see through my window cos I live on the top floor "

Watch out for drones.

What if you have iplayer app on your phone or laptop? then log out and deleate the app, you have to log in to iPlayer now so if you log in they know who is using it quite simple for them to check now its all on line. Only thing I Have struggled with is peaky blinders but just watched them at a freinds

Ah I see. I’ve always paid it monthly. Didn’t realise you didn’t have to. "

I have no problem paying the licence fee but it didn't really work with how I watch tv I only ever watch catch up never live and I as never watching anything on BBC so it made sense for me to cancel the license fee and use the money for Netflix. I think the licence fee is very out dated for how most people live there lives nowadays.

What if you have iplayer app on your phone or laptop? then log out and deleate the app, you have to log in to iPlayer now so if you log in they know who is using it quite simple for them to check now its all on line. Only thing I Have struggled with is peaky blinders but just watched them at a freinds

Ah I see. I’ve always paid it monthly. Didn’t realise you didn’t have to.

I have no problem paying the licence fee but it didn't really work with how I watch tv I only ever watch catch up never live and I as never watching anything on BBC so it made sense for me to cancel the license fee and use the money for Netflix. I think the licence fee is very out dated for how most people live there lives nowadays."

Definitely. I only tend to watch Netflix and amazon prime myself but the odd thing I watch on BBC so should pay it really.

P.O. Box DE1 0NQ

"Cheers for that buddy, but they would need a fireman's ladder to see through my window cos I live on the top floor

Watch out for drones. "

It's a good job ya don't need a licence for a catapult

easy if theyve got a cherry picker or helicopter

By *ering SeaMan  over a year ago

Penicuik

"They have no powers at all. Just goons who try to intimidate. Say nothing, let no one in.

Google for TV Licence Resistance Forum and read the advice there (and ask questions if you wish).

Basically they can only catch people who incriminate themselves."

this

By *arklordMan  over a year ago

rugeley

been having those for years still not had a visit from then

Ive had them. I returned afew, the rest go on the fire.

Ive not had a licence in 10 years, the have no right to enter your property to check.

By *iss_tressWoman  over a year ago

London

All these advice on avoidance: why not just pay the thing.

chelmsford

"All these advice on avoidance: why not just pay the thing. "

By *AYENCouple  over a year ago

Lincolnshire

"

Definitely. I only tend to watch Netflix and amazon prime myself but the odd thing I watch on BBC so should pay it really. "

We only occasionally watch a couple BBC programmes - both of which are to be found on YouTube.

» Add a new message to this topic