FabSwingers.com

FabSwingers.com > Forums > The Lounge > Old folks

Old folks

Jump to: Newest in thread

By (user no longer on site) OP     over a year ago

Aww, I'm crying inside, an old lady is outside our flats and is distressed, very confused Possibly alziemers.. Doesn't recognise her daughter or any of the neighbours trying to help her go back inside, doesn't recognise that she lives in this building.

Got me thinking, we are so busy with our lives these days, do we do enough for the older folk around us?

I don't do resolutions as a rule but I think a resolution just found me!

There's a ton of older folk in my building.. Gonna have to pay a bit more attention to them this year, help out if I can.

Do any of you guys make a point of helping out like this?

Reply privately, Reply in forum +quote or View forums list

By *aughtyLondonGuyMan  over a year ago

london

I have a friends who’s father is a semi famous guitarist, he was my hero before I knew he’s daughter. I actually had guitar lessons off him for a while. I’ve found out about 6 months ago from he’s daughter that he has two different types of dementia and he can no longer play guitar. I’m not supposed to know so I message him on Facebook messenger and on a good day he will remember me

By (user no longer on site)  over a year ago

Hey I work in the industry. Might be an idea to call an ambulance, could be added complication of an infection. X well done you ! X

By *mmabluTV/TS  over a year ago

upton wirral

"Aww, I'm crying inside, an old lady is outside our flats and is distressed, very confused Possibly alziemers.. Doesn't recognise her daughter or any of the neighbours trying to help her go back inside, doesn't recognise that she lives in this building.

Got me thinking, we are so busy with our lives these days, do we do enough for the older folk around us?

There's a ton of older folk in my building.. Gonna have to pay a bit more attention to them this year, help out if I can.

"

I am now retired but work as a volunteer for age UK two or three days a week.Alzeimers is so cruel,I had a friend with it he died last year very sad watching him lose all his dignity

By *dward_TeagueMan  over a year ago

wolverhampton

It’s a cruel disease and so I try and help where I can. My parents are still around so although they’ve not suffered from this disease, I try to help out where I can. I like to think that someone somewhere would do the same for my parents if they were in a similar situation and I wasn’t around.

By (user no longer on site)  over a year ago

I help out an elderly gent who lives near me as often as I can. He doesnt have any local family.

I clean for him, give him lifts etc.

He always tries to give me money but I dont take it. I do it because I care and not financial gain

Update :

After much calming chatter and gentle persuasion the lady in question decided to take the offer of a cup of tea and is now back home.

"I have a friends who’s father is a semi famous guitarist, he was my hero before I knew he’s daughter. I actually had guitar lessons off him for a while. I’ve found out about 6 months ago from he’s daughter that he has two different types of dementia and he can no longer play guitar. I’m not supposed to know so I message him on Facebook messenger and on a good day he will remember me"

That's so sad but it's great there's ppl like you around who remember who he really is..

By *esse1972Man  over a year ago

Rugeley

Always try to. Last Monday a elderly woman was struggling to get from car to Aldi. So I helped her get a trolley and when she finished I packed her car and got her token for the trolley back. It will be us one day soon

"Hey I work in the industry. Might be an idea to call an ambulance, could be added complication of an infection. X well done you ! X"

I heard that a water infection can send ppl a bit screwy.. She seems to have had a nightmare from what I could hear.. Woke up believing all she dreamt poor thing.. Anyway seems to be OK now.

"Always try to. Last Monday a elderly woman was struggling to get from car to Aldi. So I helped her get a trolley and when she finished I packed her car and got her token for the trolley back. It will be us one day soon"

Well done bro.. And you are so right...

"I help out an elderly gent who lives near me as often as I can. He doesnt have any local family.

I clean for him, give him lifts etc.

He always tries to give me money but I dont take it. I do it because I care and not financial gain "

You know, what you do might seem small to you but I'm betting it makes such a difference to him... Fantastic

"Aww, I'm crying inside, an old lady is outside our flats and is distressed, very confused Possibly alziemers.. Doesn't recognise her daughter or any of the neighbours trying to help her go back inside, doesn't recognise that she lives in this building.

I am now retired but work as a volunteer for age UK two or three days a week.Alzeimers is so cruel,I had a friend with it he died last year very sad watching him lose all his dignity"

Well I can't volunteer like that as I'm working age, but in the future I might just see if I can do something similar..

By *icecouple561Couple  over a year ago
Forum Mod

East Sussex

I think we should look out for each other however old they are.

My parents are in their nineties with no dementia but other health issues, we help out with them. I genuinely don't have the time or emotional capacity to do too much for other people but if I see help is needed I try to offer it or find it for the person or people.

» Add a new message to this topic