FabSwingers.com

FabSwingers.com > Forums > The Lounge > Outsider looking in

Outsider looking in

Jump to: Newest in thread

By (user no longer on site) OP     over a year ago

I have never posted a thread on here, but here goes.

I have been sat these last few days in a Manchester City Center Hotel 3000 miles from home, reflecting on a life that has led me to this point and place in my life. Especially how to deal with the next few days. I would really appreciate all your thoughts as someone looking from the outside in.

Only a very few people know the real me and my history and it's not possible to ask them, so I am turning to a forum of anonymous Swingers, which to be honest is probably best.

I shall try to be as brief as possible unfortunately it probably will not be, I must start at the beginning so you can understand the situation.

49 years ago I was born in Liverpool and an abandoned baby, how ever you want to look at it dumped in the street left on a doorstep it doesn't really matter.

I ended up in a Orphanage and bounced from one place to another. Some of you will already know about that from comments I have left on other threads, it was a truly horrific experience over many of my childhood years, if you can even call it a childhood. Those times have left visable scares and burns from the constant beatings from those who were entrusted to take care of me and my piers, the nightmares never leave, thankfully I was not sexually abused unless they are extremely repressed memories.

When I was in the UK earlier this year I hired a company to try to find my birth mother and yes they have been successful, many others have failed over the years, This company were 90% sure they had found the person I seeked 'under my instruction' they very tactfully contacted this person with some details that only my mother if it was her would hopefully understand, she immediately contacted them and agreed to meet me, hence why I am back in the Uk.

I needed so many answers, especially to know why she fucking abandoned me? who the fuck am I really ? I have no family history, no pictures I have absolutely nothing! My name was just made up and given to me. My date of birth,? I don't even know if that's correct or was just made up. I have met my mother 4 times now over the last 2 weeks, and the answers are far from what I had expected.

Well I have now found out that I was not abandoned after all! My mother has told me she gave birth to me at just 15yrs old, she was sent away by her Dad (my Grandfather) during pregnancy and had her baby (me) taken from her within days of my birth, believing I had been Adopted.

I have found out I have 2 Sisters and a Brother (she has always told them about what happened all those years ago so they knew I existed) They have children, so I am a uncle.

She has asked about my life and how I ended up living in Egypt etc.

But she keeps asking about my childhood what happened to me? Who raised me? Were I went to school? What part of the country I had grown up in ? Was it a happy childhood? What was my adoptive family like? Questions I have become an expert at avoiding over the years. Everything you would expect a mother would want to know.

And here are my problems

I don't know how or if I should tell her what happened to me as a young child, I mean she was forced to give me up which is terrible in its self, but to learn she was lied too that her baby was never adopted but went straight to an Orphanage. That her child had grown up abused over many years it's getting harder to avoid the question she keeps pushing.

On that first meet I really wanted to vent at first, blast the shit out of her, but now I know the truth well put it this way I was physically sick in my hotel Lounge, it's changed the whole dimensions and gone to new level.

I have not met any other family m_mbers yet but she is organising a party this coming Saturday, at her home for everyone in the family to meet me, apparently everyone is excited about meeting me. I don't know if I can or want to attend, seeing this family together happy and having done all the stuff family's do, knowing I had been robbed of being apart of it well I think the emotional stress and jealousy will be to overwhelming, I am going to be bombarded with questions that I don't wish to answer. It would be so easy to just jump on a plane and go home vanish forever right now, yet that would be so unfair I started this ball rolling never thought it would end up like this.

I am now really tying to look at it as she might feel rather than how I do, but it's so hard I haven't cried in many years but I have been now.

I have never had children or a family hell never experienced love up until a few month's ago, so it's difficult to decide what is for the best, should I be truthful or just make some shit up

Would a Mother or Father really want to know the truth if they had a choice ? Will knowing the truth bring us closer together ? or drive a knife through us? How will the rest of the family look at me? I am a very private person with my past. My head is totally screwed up.

I don't want her to feel any more guilt than she must already be feeling, I also don't want to start a relationship on lies.

I really appreciate any constructive feedback to maybe shine some light on the path before me.

I thank you all for reading this and wish you all a prosperous and rewarding new year.

Reply privately, Reply in forum +quote or View forums list

By *adetMan  over a year ago

Virtuosa

Truly heart breaking story and I can't imagine how tough it must have been

I don't think mentioning everything all at once will help either of you tho and would suggest a softer approach

Maybe this would be better when it's just the two of you

I hope everything works out for you and please do post an update

By *mberWoman  over a year ago

Preston

Gosh OP that's a really moving story.

First of all I'm thrilled for you that you've found your mum and that you get on what a magical thing.

Secondly, I honestly don't know what you should tell her. The way I look at it, we are a product of our experience. A different upbringing would result in a different you, I don't think you should feel like you have to hide your past of you feel comfortable with it. I also don't think your mum should feel guilt for something she was unable to control.

Maybe you could have a conversation with her and tell her the bones but not the detail and see how you both feel.

Good luck with your budding family relationship xxx

By *naswingdressWoman  over a year ago

Manchester (she/her)

Oh goodness OP. I don't have answers. I suspect there aren't any. But I wish you and your family peace and happiness.

By *orthern StarsCouple  over a year ago

Durham, North Yorkshire and can travel

Ohhhh OP, so immemsley sad to read your post. I can't evwn begin to imagine what you have been through....but....now it is time to look at the positives. You have found your family. So where to go from here....I do think you need to be very honest with your Mum, but to do it very gently. You need lots of time together and tell her gradually. There will be lots of tears and heartache for you both, but it will bring you closer. Once you have been fully open and honest with her, you will then both be able to start the healing process, together, supporting each other. Maybe even talk to a counsellor if you feel you need to.

As for meeting the family at a party, only you know how you feel, but for me, I know kt would be too much emotionally. I would want to build that bond with my Mum, then meet family individually.

Good luck OP, hope everything goes well.

By *ea monkeyMan  over a year ago

Manchester (he/him)

There's an awful lot to unpick there OP but I will try and keep it straight forward and simple.

Without absolute clarity and honesty, this relationship that you've been waiting for, won't work.

Dont try and second guess your family's reaction, you can't know and it's unfair to not allow them that.

It will be a whirlwind and I completely understand your confusion and confliction. Everything that you've thought through your life is going to be answered and sometimes that's almost too much to process.

Talk to your mother, express your feelings about it and don't hold back, if you get angry/cry/rant/whatever, it's that honesty that you both need.

I do understand you wanting to run away, it's the life you've always known and that's safety for you. This isn't going away though and these stories need telling.

I sincerely wish you all the best OP. If you want to PM, please do.

By *uenevereWoman  over a year ago

Scunthorpe

OP I am so pleased that you have found your birth family and hope that they become a permanent and positive part if your life.

I can only suggest that you broach the subject of your upbringing with tact and maybe only gloss over the details.

It will be painful for you both but that over time you will need to be honest with each other

even if you never tell her everything.

I think that you will be unable to hide the truth for ever and honestly is the root of any good relationship.

All the best OP

By *onty1971Man  over a year ago

London St Helier Trier

Take it easy OP.

Have time to reflect and absorb afterwards.

There maybe pain but also hope in finding your family at last.

Best wishes

By (user no longer on site)  over a year ago

Heartbreaking. I cannot imagine what that must have been like. I totally admire the fact you don't want your mother, a woman who've you hardly known, to feel the pain of the truth of what happened to you. You clearly have a huge heart despite what happened to you. Which is admirable as all the people who hurt you haven't turned you for the worse. You're clearly stronger than you know.

As much as it will upset her, I think you should tell her the truth. If you lie you'll have to tell more lies to cover it up and that will become stressful for you and eventually the cracks will show and she may then distrust you and you could lose any relationship you have with her. I think honesty is the best way. It may well be freeing for you too to be able to talk about it with her. Sounds like you've held a lot inside and she's the one person you should be able to talk to about anything in life.

Fwiw I can relate to a few things in your story which I'm sure a few of us can. I think you just need to open up to her. As hard as that might be

Big, big, hugs to you OP.

You wanted to find your birth mum for answers and you were successful. Things aren't always what they seem, and whilst you were ready to confront her about abandoning you, you found out that in a way, she was lied to and never meant to hurt you.

In my very humble opinion - and only you will know what to do - you should at least try and build the relationship on a truthful foundation.

She may well want to know that you had a happy childhood, but it would be unfair to both of you to lie. You've been through enough, don't you think?

This is your chance for happiness, for family, and unconditional love that only a mother can give.

As scary as this seems, you have been prepared for it your whole life. It's now time to take one small step forward. I agree with another poster that maybe suggested that giving a brief overview without details would be best - just fill in the gaps as you get to build that relationship.

Healing, isn't what people think. It's not suddenly waking up one day and feeling all is good. You have a lot of hard work ahead with you, but this time, it's moving in the right direction. You'll hurt, you'll cry, you'll be upset, and no doubt upset others. It's all part of the process.

If you can accept that, then you're half way there.

Go get the life you are owed, OP. It's there for the taking.

Good luck and god bless.

xx Niki

OP, blown away by your thread.. I can't imagine the emotional rollercoaster you are on

I don't really have experience to help you... At some point i guess talking through raw emotion, just the two of you will be essential and hopefully a cathartic experience ... Personally, as hard as some of the knowledge is going to be, I think i would want to know... You can't change history, but, you can have a say in your future and i think it would hurt you more longer term to build something from a lie to protect feelings.

But for the wider gathering, perhaps you need a few standard phrases to get you through the experience... Dont be afraid to let them know how overwhelming it is for you. In honesty you are more likely to be playing a crazy game of who is who, where they fit and what their relationship is to you.

Good luck OP, wish you all the best with your journey xx

The other thing that can be very useful is to physically commit all your emotions, especially negative into a letter... Then when you are ready to let go, burn it symbolically x

By *nabelle21Woman  over a year ago

B38

Hi OP

Reading your life story is really sad and I hate that there are those kinds of people out there. Those that should be protecting us only to hurt us, no one should have to go through this.

But this is your truth and speaking as a mom, no matter how hurtful and upsetting the truth I would want to know it.

I think you wanting to protect your mom is just brilliant but still, don't you both deserve the truth. That is the only way I think to move forward to having a good relationship

The good and the bad experiences shape us and being open about them will give mom a greater understanding of you.

You have the opportunity to meet the family, I can only imagine how daunting that must feel. It could though be such a great opportunity and something you may come to regret if you don't.

I really wish you all the best in whatever you decide, I appreciate that these are not easy decisions x

By (user no longer on site) OP     over a year ago

I have read everyone's comments on my post and been totally blown away with your understanding and compassion, it's truly inspiring.

I will be contacting my mother tomorrow and hopefully will see her tomorrow night, as most of you have said I need to tell her the truth, and slowly fill the blanks over time as hard as it's going to be, only then can we work towards a real relationship.

I am going to ask her to still proceed with the celebration on Saturday but without my presence, instead I am going to put a short letter together for the family, she can read to them explaining a few things as to why I am not attending, hopefully they will understand.

I fly home at the end of January so me and my mother have plenty of time together just me and her.

All being well I will invite her fly home with me for a few weeks, this could bring us closer together.

I would just like to thank you all for helping lifting a huge weight from my shoulders, and giving me focus to find a place to rest it.

By *amissCouple  over a year ago

chelmsford

Bless you. X I think you've made all the right decisions and enjoy your time with your Mum.xx

By *a LunaWoman  over a year ago

South

Oh OP, what a whirlwind of events for you all. I agree with Annabelle above, as a mum i’d want to know what had happened to you, but i’m saying that from a place of not ever experiencing that loss of having a baby taken away. I cannot imagine the emotional pain that would have caused her, and the lasting effect. So maybe not knowing is a best? I don’t know. But at the end of thenday it is your decision. Go with your gut instinct.

I have no other words but i sincerely hope that everything works out for you. That you find peace with it all and any unresolved questions you have get answered.

You deserve every happiness, and i wish that for you wholeheartedly.

By *nabelle21Woman  over a year ago

B38

It's good to hear that you have made you're decision. It sounds like a great way to go...

All the very best to you, today and 2020 xx

» Add a new message to this topic