FabSwingers.com

FabSwingers.com > Forums > The Lounge > Seized calliper

Seized calliper

Jump to: Newest in thread

By *aptive_audience OP   Man  over a year ago

Nottingham

Had a full service on my Audi A4 3 weeks ago. This week the front passenger calliper has seized and it had to go into the garage today. The car is 9yrs old.

Is this something that should have been spotted on the full service? They replaced my front brake pads during the service.

Today they’ve charged me £70 for a reconditioned calliper and £30 to fit it. Total bill £120 inc vat. Is a reconditioned part this expensive.

Any expertise/advise on this would be appreciated, thanks.

Reply privately, Reply in forum +quote or View forums list

By *ittall2020Man  over a year ago

Norwich

It's odd they didn't spot it when doing the pads, but maybe pushing the pistons back to fit them actually contributed to it seizing up afterwards. That said, if they had spotted it, they'd just have fitted another one then anyway, and their price seems pretty decent, I just checked and Euro want £150 for a new one for a base model 2010 A4.

By *Man1263Man  over a year ago

Stockport

Sound's an ok price to me, as for it sticking, it "might" of got a bit of dirt in the seals when changing pad's, or it might just be one of those things that happens.

But it's certainly not a thing a garage would normally check when in for a service.

By (user no longer on site)  over a year ago

"It's odd they didn't spot it when doing the pads, but maybe pushing the pistons back to fit them actually contributed to it seizing up afterwards. That said, if they had spotted it, they'd just have fitted another one then anyway, and their price seems pretty decent, I just checked and Euro want £150 for a new one for a base model 2010 A4. "

Pretty much this but also i dont know about where you are but round here the garry gritters have been out so that also could have contributed, that salt kills cars.

Nottingham

"It's odd they didn't spot it when doing the pads, but maybe pushing the pistons back to fit them actually contributed to it seizing up afterwards. That said, if they had spotted it, they'd just have fitted another one then anyway, and their price seems pretty decent, I just checked and Euro want £150 for a new one for a base model 2010 A4. "

Brilliant, thanks for your help. Having a refurbished one isn’t a problem then? They said that they could have cleaned mine and refitted but didn’t want me back in 3 weeks time with the same issue.

By *ittall2020Man  over a year ago

Norwich

Refurbed one should be aok, I've used them for years on my own cars.

The only thing I would add is that once one caliper has seized, others may well not be far behind, so start stashing some £s away in preparation.

By *Man1263Man  over a year ago

Stockport

"Refurbed one should be aok, I've used them for years on my own cars.

The only thing I would add is that once one caliper has seized, others may well not be far behind, so start stashing some £s away in preparation."

This.

Google brakes international, it's where I go for my calipers, see if price the same.

Did you replace disc's at same time?

I wonder if they replaced the brake fluid at same time? That would be in the price list so probably not.

Nottingham

Brilliant, thanks for the feedback and advice guys. They didn’t do the brake fluid, no.

By *0something1965Man  over a year ago

Belfast

If ot was a piston, gthey should have spotted this when they did the pads - you have to push the piston back into the caliper and it can get stuck while trying to push it back - not really after. Audis can get the sliders stuck, though - you dont need new calipers if that happens - you only need a cheap kit. Its not a huge amount of money for a caliper though so im happy enough with that. Just ask them if it was the sliders or the piston.

Incidentally, the rears can fail if theyre electric - in that case only the motor needs replaced, not the caliper.

Sorry - this is probably more confusing than helpful!

» Add a new message to this topic