FabSwingers.com

FabSwingers.com > Forums > The Lounge > Giving back/help

Giving back/help

Jump to: Newest in thread

By *arlo82 OP   Couple  over a year ago

the gym and random places

I'm already sick of seeing however many sleeps til Santa..... Halloween hasn't even passed. However that's not the point of my post. While people obsess over luxury items and goods has anyone stopped to think about those who are homeless or dont have families?

What one thing could your community do with in terms of you giving back or volunteering/donating?

Is there a shelter or soup kitchen?

Does anyone already do this?

Reply privately, Reply in forum +quote or View forums list

By (user no longer on site)  over a year ago

Admittedly I don't do anything since leaving the west midlands. I used to be involved in a homeless group. Raising money, arranging food parcels, and essentials and we would hand them out on the streets of Birmingham. If anyone is in that area and wants the details of the group let me know.

I would like to get involved with something in my area now so if anyone knows of any groups in the chesterfield or Sheffield areas please PM me.

I have done parcels by myself but it's much better going as a group

I (Mr) help where I can with a men's mental health group in the area.

By *pursChick aka ShortieWoman  over a year ago

On a mooch

It’s something I’m looking at doing over the Christmas break as my lad is away, but those I’ve approached so far say they already have what they need

I’ll keep looking though

Something we do here is adopt a family at our workplace. We talk to the health nurses, or churches, find a family in need and we literally buy them christmas. From food, to toys, to gift cards, everything. Even decorations. Presents for parents even. Because it's a joint effort between 16 of us, we've been able to expand it to 4 families now and they end up with so much.

It's just an idea, I can explain more if anyone wants.

By *eliWoman  over a year ago

This is possibly going to sound a bit sanctimonious but I know around here charities, food banks and homeless shelters receive a lot of offers of help/donations around Christmas time, so much so they have to turn people away (volunteers). So for the last two years, I've been volunteering in January when people are feeling the pinch and the January blues more.

I tend to donate to foodbanks all year round and I still will give a few "luxury" bits along with the generic stuff but I do a lot more in January.

By *abs..Woman  over a year ago

I do something called a reverse advent. Every day you put a food item in a box (which I will decorate Christmas stylie) then you donate it.

I do the shoebox appeal.

I volunteer as well.

We could all do more I’m sure.

By *DreamOfGenieWoman  over a year ago

London

I make sure I pop 20 or so Advent calendars in to my food bank collections in November, so that families who use it can give a little great to the kids in the lead up to Christmas

By *tingly ByronMan  over a year ago

In a town Fab forgot

"I make sure I pop 20 or so Advent calendars in to my food bank collections in November, so that families who use it can give a little great to the kids in the lead up to Christmas"

That's a lovely idea.

I do reverse calendar with my children. And also a a random acts of kindness one. I dont like Elf on the shelf, so that's an alternative we found.

By *izzy.Woman  over a year ago

Stoke area

I arrange collections of coats, socks, scarves, hats for homeless. Last couple of years I have helped with a food bank collection at my local swingers club which is always extremely well supported.

From the age of 7 or 8 , not a year has gone by when I have not spent time doing some kind of regular voluntary work. Manning first aid posts, helping at blood donor sessions, working in schools, or helping out charities. It's a big part of what makes me awesome

By *arlo82 OP   Couple  over a year ago

the gym and random places

Its heart warming to read so many of you do. Especially those I've met too! I raise money for charity with various events but feel this time of year the most vulnerable get overlooked

I think this year I'll be buying vouchers for those who need it for the shelter.

By *s_bettyboopWoman  over a year ago

Yes, normally donate packs of essentials,toiletries etc and toys for Women's Aid.

By *naswingdressWoman  over a year ago

Manchester (she/her)

I volunteer with vulnerable adults year round, and that's most of my focus.

Give tinned tuna to food banks regularly. Give charitable donations.

At Christmas in particular, I do two things. One, I'm extra nice to retail workers because so many are not. And two, I give to an annual toy appeal. I ask people collecting what group they need more presents for. The last few years I've given to teenagers, although very small babies are the next overlooked group.

By *izzy.Woman  over a year ago

Stoke area

What a lovely thread. Thanks for raising awareness of the types of volunteering and general kindness people are involved with. Very heart warming .

I work in healthcare and we have lot of homeless patients. My company prepares rucksacks filled with essential stuff for the homeless every year. We all donate - whether it's warm clothes, shoes, toiletries, canned food, sugar, anything they might need.

I have given a spare duvet and pillows all in washed bedlinen to one of our patients. He still remembers my name, bless him.

» Add a new message to this topic