FabSwingers.com

FabSwingers.com > Forums > The Lounge > Remembrance

Remembrance

Jump to: Newest in thread

By (user no longer on site) OP     over a year ago

With the 100th anniversary of the first British remembrance soon approaching. I’m currently making an independent documentary on how remembrance has influenced British society in these 100 years. Once finished, would this be something you guys would be interested in viewing?

Reply privately, Reply in forum +quote or View forums list

By *partharmonyCouple  over a year ago

Ruislip

Yes definitely. I'm very interested in the First World War and 20th century history in general because it helps explain the world we live in now and why things are the way they are.

By *ssex_tomMan  over a year ago

Chelmsford

I think it will be milked to death by media and I for one will but some money in the tin. I probably won't wear a poppy. I rarely do. I will dodge every TV special relating to it. I treat it like New Year's Eve. Best avoided for me

By *rwhowhatwherewhyMan  over a year ago

Aylesbury

Hell yeah I would!

By (user no longer on site)  over a year ago

No. Sorry. I hate Remembrance Day.

By *icecouple561Couple  over a year ago
Forum Mod

East Sussex

I wouldn't seek it out to watch

Aylesbury

"No. Sorry. I hate Remembrance Day. "

Why? This shit is important

By *hillboyMan  over a year ago

manchester

"With the 100th anniversary of the first British remembrance soon approaching. I’m currently making an independent documentary on how remembrance has influenced British society in these 100 years. Once finished, would this be something you guys would be interested in viewing? "
i think it’s fantastic what you’re doing but I just can’t take something like that what you wrote serious with a dick picture at the top of it

By *hoenixAdAstraWoman  over a year ago

Hiding in the shadows

"No. Sorry. I hate Remembrance Day. "

Why?

Aylesbury

"No. Sorry. I hate Remembrance Day.

Why? "

I know. I'm pretty sure that the point of it is to remember the great war and its loss of life so that we dont repeat it.

Why? This shit is important"

"Lest we forget".

Forget what? All that senseless death? Forget the politicians laying down wreaths, to remember the soldiers they sent to their deaths? Remember the mistakes of the past so they never happen again?

I'm a veteran, every day is Remembrance Day for me. I dont wear my medals, don't honob down the pub showing them off.

I put on a shirt and tie (about the only time each year I'll wear a tie) then walk down to my local memorial.. that's been left to rot by the council, you can barely make out the names.

Then go home and avoid the TV, waiting for all the hypocrisy to pass..

Whilst other living veterans sleep rough, abandoned by the people they protected.

By *ara JTV/TS  over a year ago

Bristol East

Why? This shit is important"

So was the Spanish Flu.

It killed 5 per cent of the world population in 1919.

Many, many times more than the imperial slaughter of world war one.

But no-one wants to remember it.

Not even on the 100th anniversary.

By *tephTV67TV/TS  over a year ago

Cheshire

"Lest we forget".

Forget what? All that senseless death? Forget the politicians laying down wreaths, to remember the soldiers they sent to their deaths? Remember the mistakes of the past so they never happen again?

I'm a veteran, every day is Remembrance Day for me. I dont wear my medals, don't honob down the pub showing them off.

I put on a shirt and tie (about the only time each year I'll wear a tie) then walk down to my local memorial.. that's been left to rot by the council, you can barely make out the names.

Whilst other living veterans sleep rough, abandoned by the people they protected."

absolutely understand why, as I have similar feelings, but I'll attend as per usual, other guys got the medals I just served.

"Lest we forget".

Whilst other living veterans sleep rough, abandoned by the people they protected."

Preach.

Puts me in mind of my pal in Afghanistan who said the first thing he did when he came home on leave was buy two pairs of desert boots with his own cash because "I'd had a chit in for months cause the ones they supplied me fell to bits". Can't afford to look after them duringbor after battle dont send them in the first place. Shameful.

Hat off to you Genghis...

So was the Spanish Flu.

It killed 5 per cent of the world population in 1919.

Many, many times more than the imperial slaughter of world war one.

But no-one wants to remember it.

Not even on the 100th anniversary.

"

Not so sure about your figures but yes, it killed more than the war and it is important. The war was avoidable and self-inflicted and twenty years on they did gorget and did it all overagain only worse.

By *orenzoVonMatterhornMan  over a year ago

Lincoln

I don't enjoy Remembrance Day but I think it's important.

By *pursChick aka ShortieWoman  over a year ago

On a mooch

I personally always observe rememberance.

I know so many people that don’t observe it, they have their reasons and are varied and valid.

There is no right or wrong answer as to why people choose to remember or not.

What should be taken from it, is that we have the freedom to each think with our own minds, make our own opinions and as human beings be tolerant of each other, no matter our differences

That’s why I remember those that went before me never to return and those that did return and still suffer, so we can live how we do

I'd give it a watch.

I served, I wear my veterans badge with pride, I'll be there on the day to remember friends no longer here as well as all those who lost their lives all those years ago.

By *pitfiremk10Man  over a year ago

Gloucester

"I personally always observe rememberance.

I know so many people that don’t observe it, they have their reasons and are varied and valid.

What should be taken from it, is that we have the freedom to each think with our own minds, make our own opinions and as human beings be tolerant of each other, no matter our differences

That’s why I remember those that went before me never to return and those that did return and still suffer, so we can live how we do "

VERY WELL PUT.

Chelmsford

"Lest we forget".

Pretty much this

"Lest we forget".

Whilst other living veterans sleep rough, abandoned by the people they protected.

Pretty much this "

We agree for once

"Lest we forget".

I can understand & agree with that ( personally)

"Lest we forget".

You went up to my esteem list !

Aylesbury

"Lest we forget".

Fair enough buddy, an utterly fair point.

And yet your profile states:

I'm interested in history, anthropology, sociology and how people meet, mix, mate and multiply.

So please do expand on why you hate rememberance day when it is clearly a mixture history, anthropology, sociology. ALL of which your interests?

I did

You did, at the same time I was writing mine. Personally I disagree but that’s a debate saved for the NAAFI bop! "

I'll pass thanks, I'm quite solidified in my view

By *Man1263Man  over a year ago

Stockport

"Lest we forget".

I to am ex-mil, and the above is a very strange thing to read.

"Lest We Forget"

And I don't.

Stockport

Your not remembering the dead, your remembering those before us, and those still living.

I could go on, but this thread has pointed some thing's out to me, and well...........

"Lest we forget".

"Lest We Forget"

And I don't.

"

Neither do I.

Most military blokes don't get it, they don't even want to think about it.. Cant say as I blame them, itll take you down a rabbit hole.

By *scouple07Couple  over a year ago

louth, Ireland

"With the 100th anniversary of the first British remembrance soon approaching. I’m currently making an independent documentary on how remembrance has influenced British society in these 100 years. Once finished, would this be something you guys would be interested in viewing? "

Definitely

By *manaWoman  over a year ago

Basingstoke

Lest we forget.

I also wear a purple poppy to remember the animals lost during the war..

Stockport

"Lest we forget".

"Lest We Forget"

And I don't.

Neither do I.

Most military blokes don't get it, they don't even want to think about it.. Cant say as I blame them, itll take you down a rabbit hole."

Leave you to it.

I have doubt's, but will leave it just there.

On a mooch

"Lest we forget".

"Lest We Forget"

And I don't.

"

So many are ex military and he is not alone in his thinking

By *irth.Minge.FireMan  over a year ago

Seen in far off places

Not for me OP, but good luck with the documentary...

Chelmsford

The last few years we have had the anniversary of the outbreak, the Somme, Passchendaele, the first person shot, the last person shot, animals killed, animals abandoned, the list goes on..

BBC are the worst...

By *orflondonerMan  over a year ago

Wood Green

"Lest we forget".

I agree with pretty much all of that. I still wear a poppy and attend my local service though. I use to do the Whitehall one,but knocked it on the head after watching Tony Blair lay a wreath.

I don't like the way the Poppy has become politised either. It was always done in such an understated British way. You either chose to wear one or not. Now people make an issue of it.

By *ara JTV/TS  over a year ago

Bristol East

And such was the public resentment towards the elite who took Britain into war that in 1919 the British government was on the brink of being overthrown by the people.

Soliders were mutinying, police officers were striking, dockers were striking . . . everywhere the public had had enough of being treated like shit by the ruling classes who wanted to carry on the war, this time in Russia.

The PM, Lloyd George, even called in the secretary of the TUC and told him he'd better have a plan for government if they went ahead with a railway strike because it would collapse the government.

The unions didn't want to form a soviet and the strike was called off - but not before they won a cut in the working week to 48 hours.

But don't expect any of that to feature.

"Lest we forget".

I agree with pretty much all of that. I still wear a poppy and attend my local service though. I use to do the Whitehall one,but knocked it on the head after watching Tony Blair lay a wreath.

I don't like the way the Poppy has become politised either. It was always done in such an understated British way. You either chose to wear one or not. Now people make an issue of it."

That's what did it for me as well..

Then you begin to look at history..

Question conflicts..

Realise Iraq/Afghanistan weren't the only questionable wars we've been involved in..

Then it all begins to click into place..

Politicians laying wreaths, British Aerospace and other major arms manufacturers making a song and dance about their donations..

War = Profit.

That’s why I remember those that went before me never to return and those that did return and still suffer, so we can live how we do "

This . I always go to the remembrance parade as do my children and they know why. I will wear a poppy throughout November and I always will. It’s not political and it’s not religious unless you make it that way.

"Lest we forget".

I don't like the way the Poppy has become politised either. It was always done in such an understated British way. You either chose to wear one or not. Now people make an issue of it.

Question conflicts..

Realise Iraq/Afghanistan weren't the only questionable wars we've been involved in..

Politicians laying wreaths, British Aerospace and other major arms manufacturers making a song and dance about their donations..

War = Profit. "

Life = profit, even if it's just emotional profit, it's all a trade, even on fab when you dig deep.....

Remembrance is a personal thing. I knew a few WW2 ex-aircrew that I respected greatly. All gone now. My era was the Falklands and a couple of dirty wars before I got out. A short but eventful career. I lost friends and was moved by the suffering of others. I never attend parades, but I never forget.

"Lest we forget".

Question conflicts..

War = Profit.

Life = profit, even if it's just emotional profit, it's all a trade, even on fab when you dig deep....."

I thought we weren't talking to each other?

That’s why I remember those that went before me never to return and those that did return and still suffer, so we can live how we do

This . I always go to the remembrance parade as do my children and they know why. I will wear a poppy throughout November and I always will. It’s not political and it’s not religious unless you make it that way. "

The mass deaths of young men and women.. Not political you say? Ooohkayyy

On a mooch

This . I always go to the remembrance parade as do my children and they know why. I will wear a poppy throughout November and I always will. It’s not political and it’s not religious unless you make it that way.

The mass deaths of young men and women.. Not political you say? Ooohkayyy "

GK... there are those that don’t choose to make it political, but remember those that did their duty as ordered. It doesn’t mean we agree with the political decision at the time. However, we have to respect for those that lost their lives, plus those that still suffer as they carried out their duty for which they signed up to.

You know my background and it’s hard to take but we must respect those that made that sacrifice. Without them we would probably be leading very different lives.

GK... there are those that don’t choose to make it political, but remember those that did their duty as ordered. It doesn’t mean we agree with the political decision at the time. However, we have to respect for those that lost their lives, plus those that still suffer as they carried out their duty for which they signed up to.

You know my background and it’s hard to take but we must respect those that made that sacrifice. Without them we would probably be leading very different lives.

"

Yeah, I get that. It's still political though. Almost entirely political.

By *ouis CyphreMan  over a year ago

The Midlands

"Lest we forget".

Question conflicts..

War = Profit. "

Remembrance Day is not about war or profit. It's about those women and men who have died or have been injured in conflicts across the world. Showing our respect to those lives and people. Personally I also give thanksgiving to those who fought in tbe 2nd world war the defeat Nazi Germany. The triumph over a right fascist ideology should never be forgotten. To do so will open the door to nationalist ideas. Which so many men and woman from Britain, the Commonwealth and around the world sacrificed their lives to beat and defeat. Everytime someone makes a racist or hateful comment. My remembrance of those brave and courageous people, spurs me on and I know we will always defeat such views.

Lest we forget.

On a mooch

Yeah, I get that. It's still political though. Almost entirely political."

I see your point... always the politicians that send the men to war

"Lest we forget".

Question conflicts..

War = Profit.

Remembrance Day is not about war or profit. It's about those women and men who have died or have been injured in conflicts across the world. Showing our respect to those lives and people. Personally I also give thanksgiving to those who fought in tbe 2nd world war the defeat Nazi Germany. The triumph over a right fascist ideology should never be forgotten. To do so will open the door to nationalist ideas. Which so many men and woman from Britain, the Commonwealth and around the world sacrificed their lives to beat and defeat. Everytime someone makes a racist or hateful comment. My remembrance of those brave and courageous people, spurs me on and I know we will always defeat such views.

Lest we forget.

"

Yet.. look at the world today. Nationalism on the rise, fascist views expressed but carefully veiled, right wing leaders popping up all over the place.

It just makes me sad they all died for nothing.

By *manaWoman  over a year ago

Basingstoke

I dont think they died for nothing but I can understand your view on the political side of it all xx

On a mooch

"Lest we forget".

Question conflicts..

War = Profit.

Lest we forget.

Yet.. look at the world today. Nationalism on the rise, fascist views expressed but carefully veiled, right wing leaders popping up all over the place.

It just makes me sad they all died for nothing. "

Not if we remember and why they did what they did and stand up against the rise in those views again

"I dont think they died for nothing but I can understand your view on the political side of it all xx"

I'm not going to say anymore on this topic. I'm done now.

By *ouis CyphreMan  over a year ago

The Midlands

"Lest we forget".

Question conflicts..

War = Profit.

Lest we forget.

Hence why we must remember them so, that they did not die in vain.

By *sGivesWoodWoman  over a year ago

ST. AUSTELL, CORNWALL

Most definately OP.

By *icecouple561Couple  over a year ago
Forum Mod

East Sussex

"Lest we forget".

Question conflicts..

War = Profit.

Lest we forget.

I saw an interview with a WW1 veteran in which he said that every war is brought to an end by men sitting round a table talking, it's a shame so many have to die to get them to that table.

By *emini ManMan  over a year ago

There and to the left a bit

Personally Rememberance Day (both the Sunday and 11am on the 11th) will *always* be a time for me to respect and reflect on those that gave so much in order to make our today what it is - it's a time I remember my Grandad who served during the war, and so many other Grandads, Dad's, brothers, sisters, sons and daughters who served then and continue to serve now.

Not that I forget them, or what they did, or are doing, any other day of the year but like any other "day" it brings a focus for all to Remember and I think it's important that people do so in whichever way they want to.

Genghis my friend, I respect and understand your views, and know they come from the heart and your words touched me.

Yes, there are those that politicise it and war is an abhorrent thing brokered by people that will (usually) not so much as touch a rifle, let alone put themselves in a position where they may be facing one - but they have nothing to do with Rememberance for me, despite the fact they stand there and lay wreaths - for me it is *all* about those that gave, and give of themselves for others, often at the behest of people who don't give a damn for the lives they are placing in danger

"Personally Rememberance Day (both the Sunday and 11am on the 11th) will *always* be a time for me to respect and reflect on those that gave so much in order to make our today what it is - it's a time I remember my Grandad who served during the war, and so many other Grandads, Dad's, brothers, sisters, sons and daughters who served then and continue to serve now.

Not that I forget them, or what they did, or are doing, any other day of the year but like any other "day" it brings a focus for all to Remember and I think it's important that people do so in whichever way they want to.

Genghis my friend, I respect and understand your views, and know they come from the heart and your words touched me.

Yes, there are those that politicise it and war is an abhorrent thing brokered by people that will (usually) not so much as touch a rifle, let alone put themselves in a position where they may be facing one - but they have nothing to do with Rememberance for me, despite the fact they stand there and lay wreaths - for me it is *all* about those that gave, and give of themselves for others, often at the behest of people who don't give a damn for the lives they are placing in danger"

Absolutely this. Well said GM x

» Add a new message to this topic