FabSwingers.com

FabSwingers.com > Forums > The Lounge > Starlight (can you give me the fame)

Starlight (can you give me the fame)

Jump to: Newest in thread

By (user no longer on site) OP     over a year ago

Astronomy (not disco sorry, tune tho eh?) is an armchair fascination of mine.

We all know Orion's belt right? Coming up to that time of year now when he's most visible. Look at his right shoulder (your left), that's Betelgeuse (of Beetlejuice fame). It's a super giant red star at the end of its life and about to go supernova. When it does it'll be visible during the day with the naked eye from earth like a mini sun. Last time something similar happened was in 1604.

Unfortunately "about to" in stellar terms could be next week or in a million years time. But I've got my fingers crossed.

Any other astronomers here? Anyone lucky enough to have a telescope / live somewhere dark enough for proper stargazing...

Any stories or facts you know and love about space I wanna hear 'em...

Anyone had a hug from Dr Maggie off The Sky at Night? I bet she gives great hugs. I'd probably slip her a cheeky snog given half a chance...

Reply privately, Reply in forum +quote or View forums list

By *rwhowhatwherewhyMan  over a year ago

Aylesbury

Astronomy is okay, I did bits at uni. I got to learn about stellar siezemology and oscillations in stars.

"Astronomy is okay, I did bits at uni. I got to learn about stellar siezemology and oscillations in stars. "

I have course envy

Aylesbury

"Astronomy is okay, I did bits at uni. I got to learn about stellar siezemology and oscillations in stars.

I have course envy "

Nuclear physics was more interesting

"Astronomy is okay, I did bits at uni. I got to learn about stellar siezemology and oscillations in stars.

I have course envy

Nuclear physics was more interesting "

All that quantum theory stuff does my head in. I get it, but it makes no sense. If you see what I mean...

Another fact I like; Buzz Aldrin took the first photograph of an ejector seat in action when he shot a Russian MIG down in the Korean War.

By (user no longer on site)  over a year ago

Ah yes. A very nice gentleman tried explaining the connection between an armpit and Beetlejuice to me as I loved the film.

I’m one of those people who is visually challenged when looking at stars and trying to identify shapes and patterns. Would love to learn more about it though

"Astronomy (not disco sorry, tune tho eh?) is an armchair fascination of mine.

We all know Orion's belt right? Coming up to that time of year now when he's most visible. Look at his right shoulder (your left), that's Betelgeuse (of Beetlejuice fame). It's a super giant red star at the end of its life and about to go supernova. When it does it'll be visible during the day with the naked eye from earth like a mini sun. Last time something similar happened was in 1604.

Unfortunately "about to" in stellar terms could be next week or in a million years time. But I've got my fingers crossed.

Any other astronomers here? Anyone lucky enough to have a telescope / live somewhere dark enough for proper stargazing...

Any stories or facts you know and love about space I wanna hear 'em...

Anyone had a hug from Dr Maggie off The Sky at Night? I bet she gives great hugs. I'd probably slip her a cheeky snog given half a chance... "

I'm no astronomer, but I can recognise a few. Orion's belt, the plough etc. We have hardly any light pollution here and the constellations look amazing. I don't have a telescope but I know some people use binoculars as a cheap alternative.

I’ve enjoyed stargazing over the years. My interest was piqued when I read ‘Classical Stories’, a collection of Greek myths that had links to many of the constellations. In addition my next door neighbour had a globe of the night sky and a small telescope so we’d study them a bit.

I enjoyed a fabulous stargazing trip to Mount Teide in Tenerife. It’s one of the top 3 places in the world to see the night sky in all its glorious splendour, due to the altitude and lack of light pollution.

Ohhh I've just remembered there's an ap you can get for your phone , if you point it at the night sky it tells you what your looking at.

How do they know it's about to go supernova?

Aylesbury

"How do they know it's about to go supernova?"

It's what is known as a red giant. Betalguese is a main sequence star, like our own sun, and thus follow a very predictable life cycle. As it uses up its hydrogen and helium fuel it starts to fuse other heavier elements like carbon and oxygen which produces much less energy. This has the effect of reducing temperature but increasing the photon pressure. This causes it to grow and become red. When it has consumed all of its fuel the photon preasure drops and it collapses in on itself. This is when a nova occurs.

Thanks for the post OP. I need to dust off my telescope, haven't used it in a long while (that's not a sexual reference). Love the clear autumn nights. Just looking at the moon alone through a telescope is fascinating, makes it so much more real and makes me feel tiny and balances my ego and positioning the universe....

By *stellaWoman  over a year ago

London

I heard there may be a planet made entirely out of diamonds. Blingtastic. Also, Ed White

By *partharmonyCouple  over a year ago

Ruislip

I have an app on my phone called SkyView. I point my phone at the sky and it shows and names stars and planets. It's really interesting. It even shows you stuff below the horizon.

By *adetMan  over a year ago

Virtuosa

Two vids you simply must check out

1. Carl Sagan - Pale Blue Dot

2. Carl Sagan - Hubble Deep Field

I dare you to not be blown away

By *stellaWoman  over a year ago

London

Chasing the Moon on BBC Iplayer is highly recommended, eh Cat?

Aylesbury

"I heard there may be a planet made entirely out of diamonds. Blingtastic. Also, Ed White "

This is true, almost. The outer crust is believed to be graphite.

» Add a new message to this topic