FabSwingers.com

FabSwingers.com > Forums > The Lounge > Sarcasm

Sarcasm

Jump to: Newest in thread

By *orenzoVonMatterhorn OP   Man  over a year ago

Lincoln

I'm fairly sarcastic in general, both in real life, the forums, and in PMs. However being that communication on the site is mostly text based, it's come to my attention that my sarcasm may be lost on some and misconstrued as sincere, even harsh, comments.

I like to think that my inclusion of "" alludes to a little cheek.

What do you do to help soften the "blow" of any cheek or sarcasm you send?

Reply privately, Reply in forum +quote or View forums list

By (user no longer on site)  over a year ago

I don’t. I just throw it out there and hope for the best.

"I'm fairly sarcastic in general, both in real life, the forums, and in PMs. However being that communication on the site is mostly text based, it's come to my attention that my sarcasm may be lost on some and misconstrued as sincere, even harsh, comments.

What do you do to help soften the "blow" of any cheek or sarcasm you send?"

Lincoln

"I'm fairly sarcastic in general, both in real life, the forums, and in PMs. However being that communication on the site is mostly text based, it's come to my attention that my sarcasm may be lost on some and misconstrued as sincere, even harsh, comments.

"

Thanks for that insightful view

Yeah it gets a bit tedious following it up with “that was a joke by the way”

The should do the trick

Lincoln

"I don’t. I just throw it out there and hope for the best."

I add emojis to show its meant with humour etc

If people can’t handle my sarcasm, then they can’t handle me.

Lincoln

"Yeah it gets a bit tedious following it up with “that was a joke by the way”

The should do the trick "

My thoughts exactly. Although the problem with emojis is that they're subject to individual interpretation too

By *iking 777Man  over a year ago

Kirkwall

:- only way to go

I find it very tricky as I don't get or understand sarcasm.

I find it very difficult to know if people are being serious or not.

Thanks for that insightful view "

It's true though...if they cant pick up your sarcasm on a message you have no hope of then doing it in real like lol

By *ots2loveCouple  over a year ago

hartlepool

The use of the emoji should make it clear the comment was made in good humour. Though my hope is that you dint need to give any explanations to anything you say. It should all just be natural and effortless. If they don’t get you then they’re not for you.

X

By *apiomanMan  over a year ago

Shipley

I add lots of !!!! as I am far to grumpy for emojis

By *ily WhiteWoman  over a year ago

?

I can't help being sarcastic, and people often think i'm being serious, even if I use emojis....meh, we're not going to get on anyway if they don't get my humour because i'm like this every second that i'm awake

"I find it very tricky as I don't get or understand sarcasm.

I find it very difficult to know if people are being serious or not. "

I'm the same, I sometimes dont know if they're just having a laugh or just being a smart arse

Lincoln

In person it's much easier with tone of delivery and being able to see the person's face. I do agree that text is probably the worst way to deliver sarcasm, and while emojis help to a degree there's something missing that can't replace tone of voice.

By *isaAndNicoleTransTV/TS  over a year ago

Southport / Ellesmere Port

I end every "funny" message with a or a or a but it still makes no bloody difference sometimes! sometimes I even do an exclamation mark!

I'm the same, I sometimes dont know if they're just having a laugh or just being a smart arse"

It really isn't easy for me at all and I often don't get things that others do. Or I think they are being rude when everyone else thinks they are funny.

Lincoln

"I end every "funny" message with a or a or a but it still makes no bloody difference sometimes! sometimes I even do an exclamation mark! "

I use the emojis because they seem a little softer, to me anyway, and avoid exclamation points because in my head they are synonymous with yelling

In person it's much easier with tone of delivery and being able to see the person's face. I do agree that text is probably the worst way to deliver sarcasm, and while emojis help to a degree there's something missing that can't replace tone of voice."

Yes I find it easier in person but still struggle until I really get to know someone.

"I end every "funny" message with a or a or a but it still makes no bloody difference sometimes! sometimes I even do an exclamation mark! "

Some people's brains just can't process sarcasm.

"I end every "funny" message with a or a or a but it still makes no bloody difference sometimes! sometimes I even do an exclamation mark!

I use the emojis because they seem a little softer, to me anyway, and avoid exclamation points because in my head they are synonymous with yelling "

And therein lies the problem, we all interpret symbols in different ways

Lincoln

"I end every "funny" message with a or a or a but it still makes no bloody difference sometimes! sometimes I even do an exclamation mark!

I use the emojis because they seem a little softer, to me anyway, and avoid exclamation points because in my head they are synonymous with yelling

And therein lies the problem, we all interpret symbols in different ways "

Exactly! There's no foolproof way of conveying tone by text messaging alone. So do we need a new grammatical symbol to show sarcasm?

By *oyeurmaxMan  over a year ago

Plymouth

I've found that sarcasm on here usually results in being blocked.

Exactly! There's no foolproof way of conveying tone by text messaging alone. So do we need a new grammatical symbol to show sarcasm?"

Well I would definitely find that useful.

Exactly! There's no foolproof way of conveying tone by text messaging alone. So do we need a new grammatical symbol to show sarcasm?"

On most modern sites they have that crying with laughter emoji and that seems to work best but they don't have it on fab sadly

"I've found that sarcasm on here usually results in being blocked."

Same, and sarcasm can be funny between people who know each other and are friend's. Not with people who don't really know each other

I see it as a filter.

Some people get it and the chat is easier.

Those who don’t, block me .... saved me the job

By *otsoSnowWhiteWoman  over a year ago

My Ice Castle! South Wales

Sarcasm I sprinkle that shit in a sentence like glitter

By *iamondsmiles.Woman  over a year ago

little house on the praire

If you know your sarcastic then you have to appreciate everyone isnt going to get it

Lincoln

Exactly! There's no foolproof way of conveying tone by text messaging alone. So do we need a new grammatical symbol to show sarcasm?

On most modern sites they have that crying with laughter emoji and that seems to work best but they don't have it on fab sadly "

Perhaps Fab needs to expand their repertoire of emojis... or finally allow people to use their emoji keyboards

Lincoln

"I see it as a filter.

Some people get it and the chat is easier.

Those who don’t, block me .... saved me the job "

I don't think I've been blocked for it... yet

I'm not being sarcastic, I'm being ironic

"I'm not being sarcastic, I'm being ironic "

I guess irony can be pretty ironic sometimes....

By *ofistimacatedMan  over a year ago

cavan town

On most modern sites they have that crying with laughter emoji and that seems to work best but they don't have it on fab sadly "

this one ??

"

Perhaps Fab needs to expand their repertoire of emojis... or finally allow people to use their emoji keyboards"

100%. It's painful how antiquated the whole format is on here, and hard to convey tone when you're used to emojis, GIFs, sliding right to quick quote comments on WhatsApp etc

By *ofistimacatedMan  over a year ago

cavan town

Only special people like me can use that emoji

On most modern sites they have that crying with laughter emoji and that seems to work best but they don't have it on fab sadly this one ??"

That just looks scary lol, maybe the old fashioned "lol" is the best way forward

"I'm not being sarcastic, I'm being ironic

I guess irony can be pretty ironic sometimes.... "

... And yet sarcasm is rarely sarcastic

By *aitonelMan  over a year ago

Liverpool

I am notoriously sarcastic in general. Unless the situation calls for otherwise.

But yes it is a minefield knowing a forgotten emoji can set off all kinds.

"I'm not being sarcastic, I'm being ironic

I guess irony can be pretty ironic sometimes....

... And yet sarcasm is rarely sarcastic "

Touché mon ami....

"

Perhaps Fab needs to expand their repertoire of emojis... or finally allow people to use their emoji keyboards

100%. It's painful how antiquated the whole format is on here, and hard to convey tone when you're used to emojis, GIFs, sliding right to quick quote comments on WhatsApp etc"

I kinda love the antiquated nature of it. Like going back 20 years or more before corporations realised the Internet was a tool for manipulation.

Can't even post a picture of a cat. That's how 90s it is

"

100%. It's painful how antiquated the whole format is on here, and hard to convey tone when you're used to emojis, GIFs, sliding right to quick quote comments on WhatsApp etc

I kinda love the antiquated nature of it. Like going back 20 years or more before corporations realised the Internet was a tool for manipulation.

Can't even post a picture of a cat. That's how 90s it is"

I loved the MSN days as much as the next guy, but I'm over that now. I want GIFs and a plethora of emojis now!

Lincoln

"

Can't even post a picture of a cat. That's how 90s it is"

It does have a certain quirky charm to it but more often that not, it's more frustrating than it is endearing. With them introducing videos (for platinum members) you'd think that emoji support would be well within their powers*.

*I have no website moderation experience at all so I could be totally off base

Lincoln

"

I loved the MSN days as much as the next guy, but I'm over that now. I want GIFs and a plethora of emojis now!"

I use GIFs way more than I probably should

"

I loved the MSN days as much as the next guy, but I'm over that now. I want GIFs and a plethora of emojis now!

I use GIFs way more than I probably should "

I'm positive there'd be way less fighting on here if we had those and a full range of emojis. And didn't have to reply+quote screeds at a time. I feel like a nutcase on here as I have a big green cheeser alongside every comment just to show I'm usually kidding . Don't even get me started on it being green...I mean, why ?

Lincoln

"

I'm positive there'd be way less fighting on here if we had those and a full range of emojis. And didn't have to reply+quote screeds at a time. I feel like a nutcase on here as I have a big green cheeser alongside every comment just to show I'm usually kidding . Don't even get me started on it being green...I mean, why ?"

GIFs may be too much for Fab but definitely the emojis! As for green, maybe it's supposed to be a soothing, positive colour?

"

I'm positive there'd be way less fighting on here if we had those and a full range of emojis. And didn't have to reply+quote screeds at a time. I feel like a nutcase on here as I have a big green cheeser alongside every comment just to show I'm usually kidding . Don't even get me started on it being green...I mean, why ?

GIFs may be too much for Fab but definitely the emojis! As for green, maybe it's supposed to be a soothing, positive colour? "

I just think 'Am I grinning but jealously? Am I happy but sick?' haha!

Apart from that rant I do like it here . And for what's its worth I've never seen you come across as rude

Lincoln

"I'm positive there'd be way less fighting on here if we had those and a full range of emojis. And didn't have to reply+quote screeds at a time. I feel like a nutcase on here as I have a big green cheeser alongside every comment just to show I'm usually kidding . Don't even get me started on it being green...I mean, why ?

GIFs may be too much for Fab but definitely the emojis! As for green, maybe it's supposed to be a soothing, positive colour?

I just think 'Am I grinning but jealously? Am I happy but sick?' haha!

Apart from that rant I do like it here . And for what's its worth I've never seen you come across as rude "

Exactly, there are so many more emojis out there to add a particular tone to a message which would be great to use!

Glad to hear it Curve

By *gnitemybodyWoman  over a year ago

Onestepoutofthedoor

Yes it can be interesting to see people's responses those that know you know not to take offence,those that don't well who cares what they think.

Lincoln

"I don’t. I just throw it out there and hope for the best.

Yes it can be interesting to see people's responses those that know you know not to take offence,those that don't well who cares what they think.

"

F the Po-lice

By *hechapMan  over a year ago

Derry

Some people just cant take a joke.

By the way i found a sense of humour last night so i want to get it returned to its rightful owner.

I know it dosent belong to anyone on fab as you lot are far too serious to own one.

"If people can’t handle my sarcasm, then they can’t handle me. "

By *r MoriartyMan  over a year ago

The Land that time forgot (Norfolk)

"

Welcome to my world

"If people can’t handle my sarcasm, then they can’t handle me. "

Agree. Totally. If people don't get my dry, sarcastic sense of humour they are not for me! And I am not for them.

By *naswingdressWoman  over a year ago

Manchester (she/her)

It's something I can struggle with, too.

Send a penis pic

Omg can you imagine the dick emojiis. Fab would be riddled with them...

Omg can you imagine the dick emojiis. Fab would be riddled with them...

By *o_eye_deerMan  over a year ago

The South Near That London

I'm the same, I sometimes dont know if they're just having a laugh or just being a smart arse"

Have you heard, OED have removed the word gullible from the dictionary!

Often said to be the lowest form of wit - I'd rather be total wit, rather than a half-wit

"I can't help being sarcastic, and people often think i'm being serious, even if I use emojis....meh, we're not going to get on anyway if they don't get my humour because i'm like this every second that i'm awake "

Yep this

I read somewhere that sarcasm is the lowest form of wit. That'll do for me.

By *nabelle21Woman  over a year ago

B38

I use the halo if I'm joking or a smiley.

My humour may be lost on some but I don't worry about it much. Not everyone can get you.

By *ed-monkeyCouple  over a year ago

Hailsham

I thing many people mix up the understanding if what is sarcasm and what is irony

By *hilloutMan  over a year ago

All over the place! Northwesr, , Southwest

What do you do to help soften the "blow" of any cheek or sarcasm you send?"

Emojis are a life saver

Sometimes I use an emoji, if I don’t wish to soften the blow I don’t. If I want to leave doubt about me being serious or just joking I don’t use any emojis

By *oggoneMan  over a year ago

Derry

"Omg can you imagine the dick emojiis. Fab would be riddled with them... "

Before emojis and way back when the internet was text only.

This was a dick pic

8====D

Or the cum shot

8====O - - - --

By *abs..Woman  over a year ago

There are times I’m unsure of a meaning. It helps if I’m used to the person and their style I suppose.

By *nabelle21Woman  over a year ago

B38

"Sometimes I use an emoji, if I don’t wish to soften the blow I don’t. If I want to leave doubt about me being serious or just joking I don’t use any emojis"

I do that to, not use an emoji if I want to leave doubt

By *o_eye_deerMan  over a year ago

The South Near That London

"I thing many people mix up the understanding if what is sarcasm and what is irony"

Well thats easy, irony is like goldy, or silvery, but a lot less expensive!

I'm the most sarcastic cunt I know, and its often totally lost in here because know I can be a little eccentric, with cyclical humour, and introverted. I can make a post where I'm literally in stitches with laughter (at my own funniness and sarcasm!!!) and ppl seem to duck their heads under it or getting pissy with me in replies. Nothing I type is in ever in anger on here but sarcasm can be seen by some as worse than a direct insult, especially if they struggle for a witty comeback or reply or if they just don't get sarcasm. I tend to put , or on all my massages for the ones who don't get it, but I think they can often see that as like a double insult, so tbh I've stopped caring and I just do what I like and enjoy interacting with ppl who get me.....

Peace and love

I just go for it and hope for the best! It's really difficult to convey tone over text so I do imagine some people read my comments and think I'm being a wanker sometimes

By *abs..Woman  over a year ago

"I thing many people mix up the understanding if what is sarcasm and what is irony

Well thats easy, irony is like goldy, or silvery, but a lot less expensive!"

Ok I laughed

By *acey_RedWoman  over a year ago

Liverpool

Same. Half the fun is when your sarcasm is so good they aren't totally sure if you're serious at first

"There are times I’m unsure of a meaning. It helps if I’m used to the person and their style I suppose. "

Yes Iv gotten to know peoples styles a bit better.

Being autistic and navigateing the different styles of posting and what people actually mean is a mind field for me. It often leads to misunderstandings.

Liverpool

"Some people just cant take a joke.

By the way i found a sense of humour last night so i want to get it returned to its rightful owner.

I know it dosent belong to anyone on fab as you lot are far too serious to own one."

I personally think it's really irresponsible that people are bringing random senses of humour into here and leaving them unattended. They could get hurt.

Same. Half the fun is when your sarcasm is so good they aren't totally sure if you're serious at first "

It's often my default position, though not always the best response I must admit..

Lincoln

I know it dosent belong to anyone on fab as you lot are far too serious to own one.

I personally think it's really irresponsible that people are bringing random senses of humour into here and leaving them unattended. They could get hurt."

Any unattended senses of humour may be savagely destroyed by the security services.

Liverpool

I personally think it's really irresponsible that people are bringing random senses of humour into here and leaving them unattended. They could get hurt.

Any unattended senses of humour may be savagely destroyed by the security services."

Euthenise them I say. Vermin.

"I just go for it and hope for the best! It's really difficult to convey tone over text so I do imagine some people read my comments and think I'm being a wanker sometimes "

Hey don't pull us wankers into this.

We don't have a partner so a wank is our saving grace!

Same. Half the fun is when your sarcasm is so good they aren't totally sure if you're serious at first "

Yep!

Reactions can be hilarious too.

By *ophieslutTV/TS  over a year ago

Central

I'd consider the potential impact on others before communicating, both to ensure that I'm understood and also that I'm not going to leave people worse off, such as from negative emotional impacts.

Each of us are unique and not everyone will have the interest or potential cognitive capabilities to infer the veiled meanings that we include in our words. It's better to be honest and clear, so that you take responsibility for reducing potential confusion and upset. There's little point in wasting your effort if you're not improving the world around you

By *hechapMan  over a year ago

Derry

I'm the same, I sometimes dont know if they're just having a laugh or just being a smart arse

Have you heard, OED have removed the word gullible from the dictionary!

Often said to be the lowest form of wit - I'd rather be total wit, rather than a half-wit "

Apparantly after its banning gulliable became the most searched word in 2019.

I think the emoji cant always hide the underlying venom behind a deliberately nasty or sarcastic comment.

Yes it means you're joking, but not all jokes are funny.

I've not noticed either way in your case OP. Just generalizing, I see some pretty nasty throwaway comments that hide behind the emoji, doesn't mean what they said was harmless or light hearted.

Context.

Lincoln

"I think the emoji cant always hide the underlying venom behind a deliberately nasty or sarcastic comment.

I've not noticed either way in your case OP. Just generalizing, I see some pretty nasty throwaway comments that hide behind the emoji, doesn't mean what they said was harmless or light hearted.

Context."

Bloody eloquent bastard

I can't say I've noticed the hidden nasty comments you've mentioned but then I tend to give the benefit of the doubt that anything involving the is a light hearted comment.

By *aitonelMan  over a year ago

Liverpool

"I think the emoji cant always hide the underlying venom behind a deliberately nasty or sarcastic comment.

Context."

This is very true

Derry

Sarcasm is tricky in 2019, this is an age of outrage, people love to be offended. It is also used as cover to say gratuitously offensive things.

In the world of dating and fab, if someone describes themselves as sarcastic, I read that as being an insecure bully.

Maybe it's just me but having to say it is sarcasm defeats the point and I judge hard on excessive use of emojis.

Anyone hear of a famous essay called A Modest Proposal( ) (jk)

Liverpool

"Sarcasm is tricky in 2019, this is an age of outrage, people love to be offended. It is also used as cover to say gratuitously offensive things.

In the world of dating and fab, if someone describes themselves as sarcastic, I read that as being an insecure bully.

Maybe it's just me but having to say it is sarcasm defeats the point and I judge hard on excessive use of emojis.

Anyone hear of a famous essay called A Modest Proposal( ) (jk)"

God damn sarcastic bitches

Offence taken not given etc springs to mind.... I think a reader has just as much responsibility as a writer to not see the worst possible case scenario in every cluster or letters and words, to not take things personally or to heart, and to respond accordingly.

Benefit of the doubt goes a long way in living a fruitful, rewarding and worthwhile life in my experience.....

(*** no sarcasm was used I the making of this reply )

Derry

"Sarcasm is tricky in 2019, this is an age of outrage, people love to be offended. It is also used as cover to say gratuitously offensive things.

God damn sarcastic bitches "

Amateur. The blonde doing the shoulder shrug emoji is a weapons grade response.

Naaah. You are fine.

Lincoln

God damn sarcastic bitches

Amateur. The blonde doing the shoulder shrug emoji is a weapons grade response. "

It's all about the side smile

» Add a new message to this topic