FabSwingers.com

FabSwingers.com > Forums > The Lounge > Depression & Anxiety

Depression & Anxiety

Jump to: Newest in thread

By (user no longer on site) OP     over a year ago

I done this a while back to try get those who feel depressed and anxious to talk about it and essentially get people out of it. Let's talk

Reply privately (closed, thread got too big)

By *naswingdressWoman  over a year ago

Manchester (she/her)

There have been quite a few threads on this in the last few days.

You probably can't talk people out of it unless you're a qualified professional, and even then this is not the place to do it.

By (user no longer on site)  over a year ago

I tried to talk about it with the doctor this morning but came out feeling worse !

I’m now have to go through making a complaint

"There have been quite a few threads on this in the last few days.

You probably can't talk people out of it unless you're a qualified professional, and even then this is not the place to do it. "

Well at least try.. I know a lot of men on here get depressed just by being on here simply because they either get rejected or feel like nobody cares about them. It's not about qualifications.. even the most qualified can be useless. It's about at least trying.. if you can help even just 1 person... I'm prepared to get the piss taken out of and laughed at.. if it means one other person has a new perspective and can get through the day with a smile....

"I tried to talk about it with the doctor this morning but came out feeling worse !

I’m now have to go through making a complaint "

Do you mind me asking why?

By *rwhowhatwherewhyMan  over a year ago

Aylesbury

You probably can't talk people out of it unless you're a qualified professional, and even then this is not the place to do it.

Well at least try.. I know a lot of men on here get depressed just by being on here simply because they either get rejected or feel like nobody cares about them. It's not about qualifications.. even the most qualified can be useless. It's about at least trying.. if you can help even just 1 person... I'm prepared to get the piss taken out of and laughed at.. if it means one other person has a new perspective and can get through the day with a smile.... "

Yup, that sure sounds familiar lol.

"I tried to talk about it with the doctor this morning but came out feeling worse !

I’m now have to go through making a complaint

Do you mind me asking why? "

Long story but I’m saying the health service can be useless

Manchester (she/her)

Well at least try.. I know a lot of men on here get depressed just by being on here simply because they either get rejected or feel like nobody cares about them. It's not about qualifications.. even the most qualified can be useless. It's about at least trying.. if you can help even just 1 person... I'm prepared to get the piss taken out of and laughed at.. if it means one other person has a new perspective and can get through the day with a smile.... "

With respect, you may make it worse. People at risk of mental illness need to talk to their doctor.

And rejection on here is not the same as clinical depression.

Not talkin

Well at least try.. I know a lot of men on here get depressed just by being on here simply because they either get rejected or feel like nobody cares about them. It's not about qualifications.. even the most qualified can be useless. It's about at least trying.. if you can help even just 1 person... I'm prepared to get the piss taken out of and laughed at.. if it means one other person has a new perspective and can get through the day with a smile....

With respect, you may make it worse. People at risk of mental illness need to talk to their doctor.

And rejection on here is not the same as clinical depression. "

Please see above

By *arpe-diem7Man  over a year ago

derby

Suffered for years never found talking ever helped me. when Im at my worst I keep my self away, don’t let anyone in and try and function without anyone knowing.

Manchester (she/her)

Please see above "

I have, and I'm sorry you had a bad experience. That doesn't mean that just anyone can cure an illness.

By *elshsunsWoman  over a year ago

Flintshire

I work in mental health services ... talking doesn’t always make it better

I think it’s a good idea. I don’t think OP is asking for people with clinical depression to come to fab for a solution, but for a lot of people and men in particular, talking is very important and could be the way to begin a process.

I’d always be happy to talk to ANYONE who needed it

By *hole Lotta RosieWoman  over a year ago

Deviant City

"Suffered for years never found talking ever helped me. when Im at my worst I keep my self away, don’t let anyone in and try and function without anyone knowing. "

Totally relate

This ^^^^^

Yeah and the doctor might prescribe pills instead of heading to the root cause.. a previous comment states they only made it worse for her... proves my point. I get what your saying though

Sorry to hear this, nothing worse than wanting to talk to someone who is supposed to be there for you and feel worse afterwards. Pursue your complaint x

By *iamondsmiles.Woman  over a year ago

little house on the praire

"I done this a while back to try get those who feel depressed and anxious to talk about it and essentially get people out of it. Let's talk "
I had to stop doing it for the sake of my mental health. Twice ive been up all through the night talking people out of taking their own lives. Both men and both wanted to to throw themselves in front of a train. One i talked to until around ten the next morning and i got him to go to the doctors. He got back to me and said he had spoken to the doctor. The other one dissappeared in the morning and i never heard from him again. It still plays on my mind and that was about 4 years ago. Just becareful to what you could potentially be opening yourself up to

Manchester (she/her)

Pills help many people. They've saved my life countless times. They may also prescribe therapy, which should help with the root cause. But please let's not bash what's often life saving medication.

It's an admirable sentiment, OP, but I've ridden the mental health horse long enough to be very wary of just talking to anyone about it.

Manchester (she/her)

"I done this a while back to try get those who feel depressed and anxious to talk about it and essentially get people out of it. Let's talk I had to stop doing it for the sake of my mental health. Twice ive been up all through the night talking people out of taking their own lives. Both men and both wanted to to throw themselves in front of a train. One i talked to until around ten the next morning and i got him to go to the doctors. He got back to me and said he had spoken to the doctor. The other one dissappeared in the morning and i never heard from him again. It still plays on my mind and that was about 4 years ago. Just becareful to what you could potentially be opening yourself up to"

And this.

There is no magical cure for depression and anxiety. What works for one may not work for another. I pulled myself out of it myself, i wouldnt talk to anyone. Dont get me wrong i still have my moments but they arent as frequent

I'm not saying we can resolve it and I'm not saying that pills aren't effective either. I'm just stating that generally pills are the first go to.. many of my friends and family have been prescribed unnecessary medication. Again I understand what your all saying and I'm truly sorry to hear what has happened. All I want to say is... If you are facing trouble in these areas or infact any area of your life.. I'd recommend Anthony Robbins.. he's a true hero! His moto is "Where focus goes energy flows" If a person is depressed it's because they focus on it and if there clinically depressed then there certified as depressed. You may get help but chances are the person helping you is just as depressed as you are. I want everyone to be happy.. we're all unique in this world. Honestly Check out Anthony Robbins on YouTube and just listen to what he has to say... it helped me through everything and even though Im not 100% I'm in a way better place and way stronger when it comes to mental health. Please don't see this as an attack on anyone

[Removed by poster at 18/10/19 13:05:55]

derby

when I seeked help for suicidal thoughts a physiologist/therapist almost mocked me saying it wasn’t a possible way of doing it. Felt so let down, wanted to prove her wrong. Fortunately a very good Friend managed to stop me.

Yeah and the doctor might prescribe pills instead of heading to the root cause.. a previous comment states they only made it worse for her... proves my point. I get what your saying though "

I know you have good intentions but how would you deal with someone like me. I have psycosis. Bipolar type one rapid cycle mixed moods. Anxiety and depression. I take almost 30 tablets a day and been under the professionals since i was 13. Also i havent slept for four days. Now history tells me by tomorrow if i dont sleep i will be at breaking point. How you going to make me better

"There is no magical cure for depression and anxiety. What works for one may not work for another. I pulled myself out of it myself, i wouldnt talk to anyone. Dont get me wrong i still have my moments but they arent as frequent"

No but it does boil down to emotion and if you can find out what's triggering your emotions.. you can start to cure the problems. Good on you for Getting out though.. it's tough and not easy to maintain but you never want a perfect mind... emotions are important in telling us there's something not right going or what is going well if your overly happy

I seem to remember other threads started on this subject and they didn’t get slated

Yeah and the doctor might prescribe pills instead of heading to the root cause.. a previous comment states they only made it worse for her... proves my point. I get what your saying though I know you have good intentions but how would you deal with someone like me. I have psycosis. Bipolar type one rapid cycle mixed moods. Anxiety and depression. I take almost 30 tablets a day and been under the professionals since i was 13. Also i havent slept for four days. Now history tells me by tomorrow if i dont sleep i will be at breaking point. How you going to make me better"

I can't promise I will but I'll at least stand with you to try and sort it out. Honestly watch Anthony Robbins on YouTube.. Where focus goes energy flows... if you truly believe your the happiest and luckiest guy alive.. who can prove you wrong and hide versa

The ironic thing is this,I'm OK until someone mentions it, get my drift?

Manchester (she/her)

"I seem to remember other threads started on this subject and they didn’t get slated "

There are ways and ways of doing it. I think the OP was poorly worded albeit with good intentions.

I think Fab is the place to push people in the direction of help. Not do the heavy lifting.

If you don't find talking about it helps then why not at least try watching a YouTube video. Listen to how he describes dealing with such intense emotions. He has been able to cure PTSD, Certified depression, suicides.. sports athletes so on so on.. Tony Robbins.. if anything I just beg you to sit through at least half our of his Emotion talk

By *ea monkeyMan  over a year ago

Manchester (he/him)

"I seem to remember other threads started on this subject and they didn’t get slated "

No they didn't.

I think they key to any helpful thread is support, direction and shared experience.

It's not about talking it better, it's about sharing and knowing that people aren't alone.

I think it's a worthy topic and always important to keep any level of discussion open, so I do see the OPs reasons

There is a real difference between being down and depression. Being down can be rationalised and talked away, depression requires medical help as it's an illness, it requires understanding, support and active listening, finding out what each individual needs.

That’s what I thought!

By *evil_u_knowMan  over a year ago

city

Its crazy men are out there ending their lives because they wont talk about it, toxic masculinity destroying their lives.

If youre feeling down just talk about it, people who talk about it get better.

"I seem to remember other threads started on this subject and they didn’t get slated

That’s what I thought! "

Oi, get your hand out your pants!!

"Suffered for years never found talking ever helped me. when Im at my worst I keep my self away, don’t let anyone in and try and function without anyone knowing. "

Same for me. I’m not a talker when it comes to things like that.

"The ironic thing is this,I'm OK until someone mentions it, get my drift? "

I hear what your saying but you can't expect everybody to stop just because you can't help it.. please it's not a dig at you! Ignoring it is obviously not working either

"I seem to remember other threads started on this subject and they didn’t get slated

That’s what I thought!

Oi, get your hand out your pants!! "

. Is that you in that tree opposite my house?!

"If you don't find talking about it helps then why not at least try watching a YouTube video. Listen to how he describes dealing with such intense emotions. He has been able to cure PTSD, Certified depression, suicides.. sports athletes so on so on.. Tony Robbins.. if anything I just beg you to sit through at least half our of his Emotion talk "
I will. But not today as i dont have the energy but i promise i will have a look

"If you don't find talking about it helps then why not at least try watching a YouTube video. Listen to how he describes dealing with such intense emotions. He has been able to cure PTSD, Certified depression, suicides.. sports athletes so on so on.. Tony Robbins.. if anything I just beg you to sit through at least half our of his Emotion talk I will. But not today as i dont have the energy but i promise i will have a look"

It's obviously entirely up to you what you decide to do but I hope it points you in the right direction

I suffer from depression, I was on the verge of wanting to die because I was unhappy in life and couldn’t come to terms with the fact I was bisexual. Drank to much and just didn’t want to be here. I’ve 3 kids but that still didn’t make a difference I was that bad. I’ve been back and fourth to the doctors and got put on meds, then had them updated and updated again. They have helped me in a way. Maybe people just talking on here and opening up might help a little, men don’t want to talk, don’t want to go doctors, I was forced to as I sat there crying and drinking every night texting a friend saying I wanted to kill myself. It’s hard to open up and talk to the doctors, I felt weak and not a man. It’s not the case though, do talk and go to the doctors and seek help, my first doctor didn’t even seemed bothered, so had to go a few times until I found one that was.

That’s what I thought!

. Is that you in that tree opposite my house?!"

Ahhhhh nice try, there is no tree across from your house

That’s what I thought!

. Is that you in that tree opposite my house?!

Ahhhhh nice try, there is no tree across from your house "

"The ironic thing is this,I'm OK until someone mentions it, get my drift?

I hear what your saying but you can't expect everybody to stop just because you can't help it.. please it's not a dig at you! Ignoring it is obviously not working either "

I tend to ignore these threads now, I don't even know why I posted, but if it helps you to talk then carry on

No they didn't.

I think they key to any helpful thread is support, direction and shared experience.

It's not about talking it better, it's about sharing and knowing that people aren't alone.

I think it's a worthy topic and always important to keep any level of discussion open, so I do see the OPs reasons

There is a real difference between being down and depression. Being down can be rationalised and talked away, depression requires medical help as it's an illness, it requires understanding, support and active listening, finding out what each individual needs. "

Maybe to get through a period then medication can be helpful.. in the long run anti depressants are bad all round for your health.. causing high blood pressure heart attacks ect ect read up on the side effects....My thinking is that killing yourself to try and cure yourself is not effective either. I'm not arguing about pills.. I just dont think they help for prolonged use

I hear what your saying but you can't expect everybody to stop just because you can't help it.. please it's not a dig at you! Ignoring it is obviously not working either

I tend to ignore these threads now, I don't even know why I posted, but if it helps you to talk then carry on "

Just not to you

Manchester (she/her)

No they didn't.

There is a real difference between being down and depression. Being down can be rationalised and talked away, depression requires medical help as it's an illness, it requires understanding, support and active listening, finding out what each individual needs.

Maybe to get through a period then medication can be helpful.. in the long run anti depressants are bad all round for your health.. causing high blood pressure heart attacks ect ect read up on the side effects....My thinking is that killing yourself to try and cure yourself is not effective either. I'm not arguing about pills.. I just dont think they help for prolonged use "

I've been on antidepressants for most of my life. The medical risks are between the patient and their doctor.

I tend to ignore these threads now, I don't even know why I posted, but if it helps you to talk then carry on

Just not to you "

Your always welcome to message me directly if you need someone's help or advice or just someone to talk to.. about it

Just not to you

Your always welcome to message me directly if you need someone's help or advice or just someone to talk to.. about it "

Thanks but I’m ok

Just a bit annoyed

No they didn't.

Maybe to get through a period then medication can be helpful.. in the long run anti depressants are bad all round for your health.. causing high blood pressure heart attacks ect ect read up on the side effects....My thinking is that killing yourself to try and cure yourself is not effective either. I'm not arguing about pills.. I just dont think they help for prolonged use

I've been on antidepressants for most of my life. The medical risks are between the patient and their doctor. "

Regardless, you can't hide the negative side affects. How can you say you wouldn't improve if you've not come off them since being on them?

Just not to you "

No, not to me, well deduced,if I could ruffle your hair I would do

Just not to you

Your always welcome to message me directly if you need someone's help or advice or just someone to talk to.. about it

Thanks but I’m ok

Just a bit annoyed "

Annoyed with your doctor?

No they didn't.

Maybe to get through a period then medication can be helpful.. in the long run anti depressants are bad all round for your health.. causing high blood pressure heart attacks ect ect read up on the side effects....My thinking is that killing yourself to try and cure yourself is not effective either. I'm not arguing about pills.. I just dont think they help for prolonged use "

well then looks like im taking the lesser of the 2 evils then. Die on medication or be long dead without it. At least the medication has got me to the age of 54 so at least its prolonged my life. You shouldnt scare monger people that have no choice but to live their life on meds

By *essie.Woman  over a year ago

Serendipity

I suffer from anxiety at times and have to talk myself into going to busy places. Mindfulness and adult colouring helps me focus my mind.

[Removed by poster at 18/10/19 13:44:47]

I am suffering from all of the above.

I've been off here and other sites for best part of a year because of it. Can't let it beat me, it's ruining my life.

Don’t patronise me

Just not to you

No, not to me, well deduced,if I could ruffle your hair I would do "

Just not to you

No, not to me, well deduced,if I could ruffle your hair I would do "

Don’t patronise me !

Manchester (she/her)

No they didn't.

I've been on antidepressants for most of my life. The medical risks are between the patient and their doctor.

Regardless, you can't hide the negative side affects. How can you say you wouldn't improve if you've not come off them since being on them?"

What side effects? Don't have any.

I've tried tapering and not succeeded. But that's between me and my doctor.

No they didn't.

Maybe to get through a period then medication can be helpful.. in the long run anti depressants are bad all round for your health.. causing high blood pressure heart attacks ect ect read up on the side effects....My thinking is that killing yourself to try and cure yourself is not effective either. I'm not arguing about pills.. I just dont think they help for prolonged use well then looks like im taking the lesser of the 2 evils then. Die on medication or be long dead without it. At least the medication has got me to the age of 54 so at least its prolonged my life. You shouldnt scare monger people that have no choice but to live their life on meds"

Im not trying to scare anyone, rather to try and help and be honest. I'm glad it's helped you and like I've said it's not that I dont think they can help

No they didn't.

Regardless, you can't hide the negative side affects. How can you say you wouldn't improve if you've not come off them since being on them?

I've tried tapering and not succeeded. But that's between me and my doctor. "

What medication are you on if you don't mind me asking!

Manchester (she/her)

The doctors prescribe medication for a reason, and scaremongering about it could do real harm.

If it doesn't help or causes side effects, get more help. If you don't feel helped, talk to someone else or complain.

Therapy, NHS or private, is amazing and I highly recommend it, but it can be difficult to find the right kind or access at all.

These are serious, sometimes life threatening illnesses. As with the other thread on painkillers, it's not to be taken lightly.

Manchester (she/her)

No they didn't.

I've tried tapering and not succeeded. But that's between me and my doctor. What medication are you on if you don't mind me asking! "

I bloody do mind you asking.

No they didn't.

I've tried tapering and not succeeded. But that's between me and my doctor. What medication are you on if you don't mind me asking!

I bloody do mind you asking. "

Why so agro? I didn't mean to cause any stress

Manchester (she/her)

I'm not "agro". I'm not divulging my private medical information to a stranger.

"The doctors prescribe medication for a reason, and scaremongering about it could do real harm.

If it doesn't help or causes side effects, get more help. If you don't feel helped, talk to someone else or complain.

Therapy, NHS or private, is amazing and I highly recommend it, but it can be difficult to find the right kind or access at all.

These are serious, sometimes life threatening illnesses. As with the other thread on painkillers, it's not to be taken lightly. "

How else do you think medical companies are supported.. doctors tell you something serious is wrong.. they prescribe the drugs.. you buy the drugs... and the cycle continues.. Did you know doctors will tell you nutritional information yet have only 1 hour of nutritional qualifications.. and your telling me a doctor would be better than a nutritionist?

Manchester (she/her)

"The doctors prescribe medication for a reason, and scaremongering about it could do real harm.

These are serious, sometimes life threatening illnesses. As with the other thread on painkillers, it's not to be taken lightly.

How else do you think medical companies are supported.. doctors tell you something serious is wrong.. they prescribe the drugs.. you buy the drugs... and the cycle continues.. Did you know doctors will tell you nutritional information yet have only 1 hour of nutritional qualifications.. and your telling me a doctor would be better than a nutritionist?"

What does nutrition have to do with mental health?

I'm done. You're spouting nonsense.

Well done for trying. If you feel the doctor isn't helping maybe try seeing a different one or look at the mind website as lots of useful links.

No they didn't.

I've tried tapering and not succeeded. But that's between me and my doctor. What medication are you on if you don't mind me asking!

I bloody do mind you asking.

Why so agro? I didn't mean to cause any stress "

Don't post on subjects you know very little about then.

You may think you are helping but imo you are delusional if you think that .

How else do you think medical companies are supported.. doctors tell you something serious is wrong.. they prescribe the drugs.. you buy the drugs... and the cycle continues.. Did you know doctors will tell you nutritional information yet have only 1 hour of nutritional qualifications.. and your telling me a doctor would be better than a nutritionist?

What does nutrition have to do with mental health?

I'm done. You're spouting nonsense. "

My point is that a doctor's are not always the person to speak to

How else do you think medical companies are supported.. doctors tell you something serious is wrong.. they prescribe the drugs.. you buy the drugs... and the cycle continues.. Did you know doctors will tell you nutritional information yet have only 1 hour of nutritional qualifications.. and your telling me a doctor would be better than a nutritionist?"

In another thread you have suggested that people can be talked out of depression and anxiety. I get that you mean well but you are talking nonsense.

By *izzy.Woman  over a year ago

Stoke area

This started out as a well intentioned post, but seems to have wandered off track.

People who have depression it is an illness. The chemicals in their heads are messed up. Antidepressants help by going the serotonin levels to help to reduce the feelings of depression.

No good talking about the side effects of taking them, all meds have side effects. But if they don't take them, it increases the risk of suicide and that can be fatal !

Each individual should talk to their GP and get the counselling, CBT and / or medication for their particular needs.

I do think it's important to raise the topic of anxiety and depression and to remind people that their is help out there and to seek support if it's affecting their life.

Just not to you

Don’t patronise me !"

That wasn't patronising, it was mordantly pungent

Manchester (he/him)

No they didn't.

I understand that that's your view, I will say though that offering a help thread then being dismissive of the things that *do* actually help people long term makes me feel very concerned.

You say that you want to help? Then listen to what others are saying. That YouTube video worked for you? Great, you don't like pills? Fine. Don't press your opinions and bias on others though.

Many of us have had support training, many of us have been through or are going through treatment. Please don't dismiss what works for lots of people and then claim to be helping, because it's not

Just not to you

Don’t patronise me !

That wasn't patronising, it was mordantly pungent"

So why the eye rolling?

"I think it’s a good idea. I don’t think OP is asking for people with clinical depression to come to fab for a solution, but for a lot of people and men in particular, talking is very important and could be the way to begin a process.

I’d always be happy to talk to ANYONE who needed it "

I agree

Im also happy to talk to people

Just not to you

Don’t patronise me !

So why the eye rolling?"

Because I was actually admitting I was wrong to the guy,and told him to carry on,then you blurted out an arsey comment, so you got an eye roll

"This started out as a well intentioned post, but seems to have wandered off track.

People who have depression it is an illness. The chemicals in their heads are messed up. Antidepressants help by going the serotonin levels to help to reduce the feelings of depression.

No good talking about the side effects of taking them, all meds have side effects. But if they don't take them, it increases the risk of suicide and that can be fatal !

Each individual should talk to their GP and get the counselling, CBT and / or medication for their particular needs.

I do think it's important to raise the topic of anxiety and depression and to remind people that their is help out there and to seek support if it's affecting their life. "

I agree and yet again.. I'm not saying pills are ineffective and I've never said they have not helped. All I'm saying is that pills are not always the answer.. sometimes they do much more harm than good.. sometimes they work fine and sometimes not at all. Speak to someone for sure but MY point is that instead of looking for external reasons for your problems such as chemical imbalances which may be true.. You CAN change the way you view depression and anxiety by finding the source of which causes you to feel depressed in the first place. I.e taking drugs because you lost someone close might not help if your depressed but finding out what causes it can solve the issue things such as the area the person lived.. things that person said... it could be anything.... This is just an example

Just not to you

Don’t patronise me !

So why the eye rolling?

Because I was actually admitting I was wrong to the guy,and told him to carry on,then you blurted out an arsey comment, so you got an eye roll"

It wasn’t an arsey comment

Maybe they were started by women ?

Responses are often different depending in who started the thread

Responses are often different depending in who started the thread "

no they where started by people who didnt ssy they csn talk you out of depressiom and thinking there way is the right way

Manchester (he/him)

No, I started several as have other guys.

"This started out as a well intentioned post, but seems to have wandered off track.

I do think it's important to raise the topic of anxiety and depression and to remind people that their is help out there and to seek support if it's affecting their life.

I agree and yet again.. I'm not saying pills are ineffective and I've never said they have not helped. All I'm saying is that pills are not always the answer.. sometimes they do much more harm than good.. sometimes they work fine and sometimes not at all. Speak to someone for sure but MY point is that instead of looking for external reasons for your problems such as chemical imbalances which may be true.. You CAN change the way you view depression and anxiety by finding the source of which causes you to feel depressed in the first place. I.e taking drugs because you lost someone close might not help if your depressed but finding out what causes it can solve the issue things such as the area the person lived.. things that person said... it could be anything.... This is just an example "

do you mean by CBT, counselling, psychologists etc

No they didn't.

I understand that that's your view, I will say though that offering a help thread then being dismissive of the things that *do* actually help people long term makes me feel very concerned.

You say that you want to help? Then listen to what others are saying. That YouTube video worked for you? Great, you don't like pills? Fine. Don't press your opinions and bias on others though.

Many of us have had support training, many of us have been through or are going through treatment. Please don't dismiss what works for lots of people and then claim to be helping, because it's not"

My point is -

Pills..have side affects

Can help

Not always something that is effective.

My personal advice is watch the video for help.. I've not once discouraged anyone from anything! My point about pills is the side affects and the long term affects. THAT'S ALL. I never once said that theres a proven method nor have I ever argued that a specific method will work. I've given my advice and an honest look at pills. You are your own person and id rather start with trying to get deep rooted first then look at pills not vise versa

It's a very touchy subject, I (Mr) suffer with it and I'm glad to be seeing people talking more openly about it

Don't throw the man v woman into this. He has an opinion that not everyone agreed with, nothing to do with gender .

I agree and yet again.. I'm not saying pills are ineffective and I've never said they have not helped. All I'm saying is that pills are not always the answer.. sometimes they do much more harm than good.. sometimes they work fine and sometimes not at all. Speak to someone for sure but MY point is that instead of looking for external reasons for your problems such as chemical imbalances which may be true.. You CAN change the way you view depression and anxiety by finding the source of which causes you to feel depressed in the first place. I.e taking drugs because you lost someone close might not help if your depressed but finding out what causes it can solve the issue things such as the area the person lived.. things that person said... it could be anything.... This is just an example

do you mean by CBT, counselling, psychologists etc"

What ever helps is always good

Manchester (he/him)

I agree and yet again.. I'm not saying pills are ineffective and I've never said they have not helped. All I'm saying is that pills are not always the answer.. sometimes they do much more harm than good.. sometimes they work fine and sometimes not at all. Speak to someone for sure but MY point is that instead of looking for external reasons for your problems such as chemical imbalances which may be true.. You CAN change the way you view depression and anxiety by finding the source of which causes you to feel depressed in the first place. I.e taking drugs because you lost someone close might not help if your depressed but finding out what causes it can solve the issue things such as the area the person lived.. things that person said... it could be anything.... This is just an example "

Not *may* be true; are true.

I'm sorry but getting grief mixed up with depression is making me feel very uneasy.

I'm sure you mean well OP, I really do, I just think that you don't really know what you're talking about here.

No they didn't.

For some people medication is needed long term. I suffer no side effects from taking anti depresents long term and they have helped me greatly, as has talking, i find talking to my swinging friends helps, they seem to have more understanding, the NHS therapy was rubbish generally but the private counsellor i saw (and talked to) was excellent.

No they didn't.

Many of us have had support training, many of us have been through or are going through treatment. Please don't dismiss what works for lots of people and then claim to be helping, because it's not

My point is -

Pills..have side affects

Can help

My personal advice is watch the video for help.. I've not once discouraged anyone from anything! My point about pills is the side affects and the long term affects. THAT'S ALL. I never once said that theres a proven method nor have I ever argued that a specific method will work. I've given my advice and an honest look at pills. You are your own person and id rather start with trying to get deep rooted first then look at pills not vise versa

"

what if i was psycotic or paroniod and read this thread. Saw what you said about side affects decided to through my medication away and then top myself

Not *may* be true; are true.

I'm sorry but getting grief mixed up with depression is making me feel very uneasy.

I'm sure you mean well OP, I really do, I just think that you don't really know what you're talking about here. "

Well science is not fact so your statement is false

derby

"Suffered for years never found talking ever helped me. when Im at my worst I keep my self away, don’t let anyone in and try and function without anyone knowing.

Same for me. I’m not a talker when it comes to things like that. "

Unfortunately by its own nature it’s a very lonely illness

Mental health is beigg spoken about more and we are all pulling together because we collectively realise that you can goto the doctors and be put in a waiting list for 6months sometimes so in order for us to get better when seeking help is to talk to each other and we're pulling together to make sure that we fill the gaps thst the support doesn't give.

If you struggle don't dive ya head into the ground just had a little talk about something and slip the conversation in if you don't know hwo to approach it.

I'm always available for a chat

No they didn't.

My point is -

Pills..have side affects

Can help

what if i was psycotic or paroniod and read this thread. Saw what you said about side affects decided to through my medication away and then top myself"

I'm sorry If it was misinterpreted, My intention was to make people aware of the side affects and try new alternative rather than to scare them away

Whilst I do think the OP was trying to be helpful I have to agree with some of the other posts about medication.

If I took life long medication for diabetes or heart problems that would be fine so why isnt it for mental health problems. They keep some people stable and able to lead a normal life, whatever that is. Or they help some through tough times in their life.

Most need a mixture of different things to help them get over a mental health problem and no two peoples treatment will be the same.

If your not happy with how the NHS is treating you get in touch with the charity MIND as they will be able to help you.

"Suffered for years never found talking ever helped me. when Im at my worst I keep my self away, don’t let anyone in and try and function without anyone knowing.

Same for me. I’m not a talker when it comes to things like that.

Unfortunately by its own nature it’s a very lonely illness "

Exactly and people can get anxious just by the thought of connecting with another human being which is why I recommend in your own time and space just to view a video or two.. YOU NEVER KNOW

Responses are often different depending in who started the thread no they where started by people who didnt ssy they csn talk you out of depressiom and thinking there way is the right way"

"Whilst I do think the OP was trying to be helpful I have to agree with some of the other posts about medication.

If I took life long medication for diabetes or heart problems that would be fine so why isnt it for mental health problems. They keep some people stable and able to lead a normal life, whatever that is. Or they help some through tough times in their life.

Most need a mixture of different things to help them get over a mental health problem and no two peoples treatment will be the same.

If your not happy with how the NHS is treating you get in touch with the charity MIND as they will be able to help you.

"

If medication helps then fine carry on but if your still anxious, depressed ect then you've not really done anything but taken pills.. am I correct in saying that?

No they didn't.

My point is -

Pills..have side affects

Can help

what if i was psycotic or paroniod and read this thread. Saw what you said about side affects decided to through my medication away and then top myself

I'm sorry If it was misinterpreted, My intention was to make people aware of the side affects and try new alternative rather than to scare them away"

read back over this thread about what side affects there are. Then tell me that couldnt potentially stop someone vulnerable from taking their medication

"Whilst I do think the OP was trying to be helpful I have to agree with some of the other posts about medication.

If medication helps then fine carry on but if your still anxious, depressed ect then you've not really done anything but taken pills.. am I correct in saying that? "

No

Don't throw the man v woman into this. He has an opinion that not everyone agreed with, nothing to do with gender ."

I think it is at least partly to do with gender (aswell as his attitude and comments).

No they didn't.

My point is -

Pills..have side affects

Can help

I'm sorry If it was misinterpreted, My intention was to make people aware of the side affects and try new alternative rather than to scare them awayread back over this thread about what side affects there are. Then tell me that couldnt potentially stop someone vulnerable from taking their medication"

Of course I get that.. why is that the focus point?

I'm just being honest... You could always just say here take this happy pill you'll be fine

No they didn't.

My point is -

Pills..have side affects

Can help

I'm sorry If it was misinterpreted, My intention was to make people aware of the side affects and try new alternative rather than to scare them awayread back over this thread about what side affects there are. Then tell me that couldnt potentially stop someone vulnerable from taking their medication

I'm just being honest... You could always just say here take this happy pill you'll be fine "

What are you talking about ?

Do you really think that medication for depression makes you happy. ... im sorry but you don't have a clue .

Don't throw the man v woman into this. He has an opinion that not everyone agreed with, nothing to do with gender .

I think it is at least partly to do with gender (aswell as his attitude and comments)."

why is it to do with gender when other guys start help threads like gjengis khan and teamonkey

I think it is at least partly to do with gender (aswell as his attitude and comments)."

My comments have nothing to do with gender

If medication helps then fine carry on but if your still anxious, depressed ect then you've not really done anything but taken pills.. am I correct in saying that?

No "

It's like taking blood pressure pills that don't do anything to your blood pressure while being at risk of infection. Things such as diabetes and heart tablets are highly unlikely to cause massive impacts such as what anti depressants could cause. This subject was brought up by several scientists and a major campaign was raised to help people be aware of the dangers.. I'm not here to argue about it.. just talking. I'm not a doctor of any sort either

No they didn't.

My point is -

Pills..have side affects

Can help

I'm sorry If it was misinterpreted, My intention was to make people aware of the side affects and try new alternative rather than to scare them awayread back over this thread about what side affects there are. Then tell me that couldnt potentially stop someone vulnerable from taking their medication

I'm just being honest... You could always just say here take this happy pill you'll be fine "

its a focal point because your not understanding how dangerous your words could be to a vulnerable person

No they didn't.

My point is -

Pills..have side affects

Can help

I'm just being honest... You could always just say here take this happy pill you'll be fine

Do you really think that medication for depression makes you happy. ... im sorry but you don't have a clue ."

Your not seeing the point

If medication helps then fine carry on but if your still anxious, depressed ect then you've not really done anything but taken pills.. am I correct in saying that? "

Op have you ever had a serious mental health problem ????

You know been sectioned, been admited to a mental health unit for months or sometimes years until your well again.

They can change the dose of your medication or change you to a diferent one.

No

It's like taking blood pressure pills that don't do anything to your blood pressure while being at risk of infection. Things such as diabetes and heart tablets are highly unlikely to cause massive impacts such as what anti depressants could cause. This subject was brought up by several scientists and a major campaign was raised to help people be aware of the dangers.. I'm not here to argue about it.. just talking. I'm not a doctor of any sort either"

Your talking shit, if i didn't take medication for my issues i would be dead.

Any side effects i may have certainly outweigh that prospect.

For what it’s worth Op I think you started this thread with all good intentions but I think you’re way way out of your depth here and I’d leave it there if I were you. Up to you though obviously. Just my thoughts.

No

It's like taking blood pressure pills that don't do anything to your blood pressure while being at risk of infection. Things such as diabetes and heart tablets are highly unlikely to cause massive impacts such as what anti depressants could cause. This subject was brought up by several scientists and a major campaign was raised to help people be aware of the dangers.. I'm not here to argue about it.. just talking. I'm not a doctor of any sort either"

We can see your not a doctor and of course youd be prescribed medication that you dont need. Why dont you go read the list of side effects on medication other than antiedepressants. You might just be surprised .

No they didn't.

My point is -

Pills..have side affects

Can help

Do you really think that medication for depression makes you happy. ... im sorry but you don't have a clue .

Your not seeing the point "

You ve pissed me off now ...there's no talking to you .

No they didn't.

My point is -

Pills..have side affects

Can help

I'm just being honest... You could always just say here take this happy pill you'll be fine its a focal point because your not understanding how dangerous your words could be to a vulnerable person"

I understand.. but I also care for my fellow human beings.. and would rather be honest.. I've simply said it can be very harmful but also helpful. I'm fully aware how my words can affect people which is why I'm honest. To be frank I'm saying how it's been said to MILLIONS of people to help them too but out the ones pushing against me to make a point that I'm wrong and how bad it is.. why not see what I'm saying and how this could be applied to people's lives.. there's no correct method and not even drugs are 100% affective. This is still a discussion and again I'm not saying stop your pills.. I'm simply stating that there can be problems and that maybe an alternative would be more affectibe before deciding pills are the only way

By *ollycouple71Couple  over a year ago

manchester

No they didn't.

I've been on antidepressants for most of my life. The medical risks are between the patient and their doctor. "

Im leaving this thread as at 25 he seems to know it all and as they say youth is wasted on the young.

Lets just hope hes not training to be a doctor or ever needs medication for mental health problems

No they didn't.

My point is -

Pills..have side affects

Can help

You ve pissed me off now ...there's no talking to you ."

Why do you take pills? because your depressed or anxious? right? Your trying to achieve some level of happiness otherwise you wouldn't need the pill

"Im leaving this thread as at 25 he seems to know it all and as they say youth is wasted on the young.

Lets just hope hes not training to be a doctor or ever needs medication for mental health problems "

At 25 I'm at least trying.. I've never stated I'm right

No they didn't.

My point is -

Pills..have side affects

Can help

I'm just being honest... You could always just say here take this happy pill you'll be fine its a focal point because your not understanding how dangerous your words could be to a vulnerable person

I understand.. but I also care for my fellow human beings.. and would rather be honest.. I've simply said it can be very harmful but also helpful. I'm fully aware how my words can affect people which is why I'm honest. To be frank I'm saying how it's been said to MILLIONS of people to help them too but out the ones pushing against me to make a point that I'm wrong and how bad it is.. why not see what I'm saying and how this could be applied to people's lives.. there's no correct method and not even drugs are 100% affective. This is still a discussion and again I'm not saying stop your pills.. I'm simply stating that there can be problems and that maybe an alternative would be more affectibe before deciding pills are the only way "

You dont understand at all. Your "honestly" could potentially have led to a suicide. Side affects are discussed between patient and doctor on an individual basis. Do you seriously think none of us know the potential side affects

Because we’re all unique, we seek help in different ways. The secret is to find what best works for you. Some of us like to blether and some need to hide away for a wee while. I would say don’t force yourself on anyone; just make it blatantly clear you are there for them if and when they need you.

I toil with a cluttered mind but I have finally learnt how to manage it and have many many great days.

Big gigantic hugs to all you lovely people x

All I've ever said is the side affects are quit bad.. that there are alternatives. I've never said quit your pills, rather try something else too..

My recommendation is to view a man that helps millions of people across the globe and has taught me valuable lessons.. so why not see what he can do for you too..

I was only trying to help

Sorry my unworthy youthful thoughts have caused you such distress

No they didn't.

My point is -

Pills..have side affects

Can help

I'm just being honest... You could always just say here take this happy pill you'll be fine its a focal point because your not understanding how dangerous your words could be to a vulnerable person

I understand.. but I also care for my fellow human beings.. and would rather be honest.. I've simply said it can be very harmful but also helpful. I'm fully aware how my words can affect people which is why I'm honest. To be frank I'm saying how it's been said to MILLIONS of people to help them too but out the ones pushing against me to make a point that I'm wrong and how bad it is.. why not see what I'm saying and how this could be applied to people's lives.. there's no correct method and not even drugs are 100% affective. This is still a discussion and again I'm not saying stop your pills.. I'm simply stating that there can be problems and that maybe an alternative would be more affectibe before deciding pills are the only way You dont understand at all. Your "honestly" could potentially have led to a suicide. Side affects are discussed between patient and doctor on an individual basis. Do you seriously think none of us know the potential side affects"

Ive never questioned anyone's knowledge.. rather to make them aware and I've already apologised for making that comment my intention was good

No they didn't.

My point is -

Pills..have side affects

Can help

Why do you take pills? because your depressed or anxious? right? Your trying to achieve some level of happiness otherwise you wouldn't need the pill"

Its got fuck all to do with feeling happy its about being able to live a relatively normal life without running of and topping yourself you really have no idea. If it was about just feeling happy then everyone would be on them. All we (I) want is to function and lead a relatively stable life

"Im leaving this thread as at 25 he seems to know it all and as they say youth is wasted on the young.

Lets just hope hes not training to be a doctor or ever needs medication for mental health problems

At 25 I'm at least trying.. I've never stated I'm right "

Yes your very trying .

I think it is at least partly to do with gender (aswell as his attitude and comments).why is it to do with gender when other guys start help threads like gjengis khan and teamonkey"

I said partly to do with gender !

I think it is at least partly to do with gender (aswell as his attitude and comments).

My comments have nothing to do with gender"

I didnt say they did !

No they didn't.

My point is -

Pills..have side affects

Can help

Why do you take pills? because your depressed or anxious? right? Your trying to achieve some level of happiness otherwise you wouldn't need the pillIts got fuck all to do with feeling happy its about being able to live a relatively normal life without running of and topping yourself you really have no idea. If it was about just feeling happy then everyone would be on them. All we (I) want is to function and lead a relatively stable life"

Alright ok please do see this as an attack Im still trying to learn things and discuss them further.

So you want to lead a normal life but what's troubling you? do you mind me asking

I just want to help someone... why's is everybody pushing back so hard? I made a mistake with 1 comment but I'm trying to HELP!

At 25 I'm at least trying.. I've never stated I'm right

Yes your very trying . "

I'm very trying? If were stuck on the subject of tablets how can I or any one help go beyond just relying on tablets

people

Suffering from them my self I find talking didn’t. Work I’m just telling stories really I could do that in the pub for free lol

"Suffering from them my self I find talking didn’t. Work I’m just telling stories really I could do that in the pub for free lol "

?

Haaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa hahahahaha haaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa a hahahahaha

This is fucking hilarious

Talk about descending into chaos

No they didn't.

My point is -

Pills..have side affects

Can help

Why do you take pills? because your depressed or anxious? right? Your trying to achieve some level of happiness otherwise you wouldn't need the pillIts got fuck all to do with feeling happy its about being able to live a relatively normal life without running of and topping yourself you really have no idea. If it was about just feeling happy then everyone would be on them. All we (I) want is to function and lead a relatively stable life

Alright ok please do see this as an attack Im still trying to learn things and discuss them further.

So you want to lead a normal life but what's troubling you? do you mind me asking

I just want to help someone... why's is everybody pushing back so hard? I made a mistake with 1 comment but I'm trying to HELP! "

nothing is "troubling" me something in my life (and im not telling you what) kicked off my mental health you know where the chemicals in your brain are fucked up. I dont doubt your i tentions where good but you are offering help about something you have no idea about

I've tried to help and be supportive but unfortunately most would rather fight and argue.. Feel free to message me if you'd like any more info.. I'm here for everybody and I want no one to suffer but it's a rock and hard place with everybody on high heels..

I'll leave it there

Surely it’s not a case of right or wrong. It’s about experiences and opinions.

It’s a shame a subject like this can prompt such bitter comments.

Be nice people xx

"Haaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa hahahahaha haaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa a hahahahaha

Talk about descending into chaos "

Now that’s an arsey comment!

Now that’s an arsey comment!"

I'll think you will find it's also correct

My comments have nothing to do with gender

I didnt say they did ! "

You said partly, im saying not at all

"Surely it’s not a case of right or wrong. It’s about experiences and opinions.

Be nice people xx"

i dont see bitter comments i see passionate comments from people that have spent a lot of their life being ill

I'll think you will find it's also correct"

Dude all you've done is fry get in one girls knickers while on subject of depression so as far as I'm concerned your not here to help anyone full stop

I'll think you will find it's also correct"

It’s not correct

It’s not hilarious

And I thought you weren’t commenting on these threads anymore

By *SAchickWoman  over a year ago

Hillside desolate

Dude all you've done is fry get in one girls knickers while on subject of depression so as far as I'm concerned your not here to help anyone full stop"

Really I don't think this thread is helping anyone anyway, despite your original intentions.

Dude all you've done is fry get in one girls knickers while on subject of depression so as far as I'm concerned your not here to help anyone full stop

Really I don't think this thread is helping anyone anyway, despite your original intentions. "

very true.. I'm deleting it... I'm still here for anyone that wants to talk on a sensible level

Manchester (he/him)

"

Well science is not fact so your statement is false "

This is possibly one of the most stupid and deluded comments I've read in a long time.

I'm talking from experience of myself, friends, my ex wife, not to mention my own training. What you're saying is damaging and dangerous to people.

Just stop.

I've tried to be gentle but you have no clue of what you're talking about. It's insulting and it's downright wrong.

You seem to believe that medicine is bad but a video is going to magically cure an illness? Would you prescribe a video for someone with renal failure or heart disease? No.

You have no idea what depression is or how to deal with it.

Just stop now

Did he just say that science is not fact?

"Surely it’s not a case of right or wrong. It’s about experiences and opinions.

Be nice people xxi dont see bitter comments i see passionate comments from people that have spent a lot of their life being ill"

And I do see bitter challenging comments. Again it’s about rights and wrongs, experiences and opinions. Passionate / challenging / rude / it’s all down to the individual I guess

By *ranny-CrumpetWoman  over a year ago

King's Crustacean

"I've tried to help and be supportive but unfortunately most would rather fight and argue.. Feel free to message me if you'd like any more info.. I'm here for everybody and I want no one to suffer but it's a rock and hard place with everybody on high heels..

I'll leave it there"

Ask yourself........ What would Jesus do ?

"I've tried to help and be supportive but unfortunately most would rather fight and argue.. Feel free to message me if you'd like any more info.. I'm here for everybody and I want no one to suffer but it's a rock and hard place with everybody on high heels..

I'll leave it there

Ask yourself........ What would Jesus do ?"

Produce masses of wine

King's Crustacean

"Did he just say that science is not fact? "

yeah ...... I looked twice

King's Crustacean

I'll leave it there

Ask yourself........ What would Jesus do ?

Produce masses of wine "

Now you are being daft. We need the water first.

"Did he just say that science is not fact?

yeah ...... I looked twice "

It's not..

Newton defined gravity and then got proven wrong by Einstein... it's patterns.... not truth

By *mmmMaybeCouple  over a year ago

West Wales

Real depression doesn't go away because you talk about it.

Going to a shrink might help but if it helps (I'm not convinced) it does so along with a raft of other things too.

Being depressed & feeling sorry for yourself are two different things entirely.

S

You shouldn't play with matches unless you have a fire extinguisher to hand & know how to use it.

"Real depression doesn't go away because you talk about it.

Going to a shrink might help but if it helps (I'm not convinced) it does so along with a raft of other things too.

S

You shouldn't play with matches unless you have a fire extinguisher to hand & know how to use it.

"

I'm not feeling sorry for myself instead I tried to help..

Why is it such a bad thing?

"I work in mental health services ... talking doesn’t always make it better "

True story

Is it just me or is there actually a bit of a bitch fight going on . ?

It’s not supporting anyone

It’s bullying

By *aitonelMan  over a year ago

Liverpool

"

They are 2 very different things, yes. Something which a lot of people have difficulty seeing.

However "real" depression can be helped greatly by talking about it. By saying such a statement you are invalidating all of those people who have had real depression and having talked about it helped a great deal toward their recovery. It may not be the solution for everyone, and results may vary but it is a form of treatment for depression.

Depression itself is not a black and white thing, it is a huge! And I mean HUGE! Spectrum of intensities. Just becomes somebody suffers depression in a different way, for a different reason, at a different intensity does not make their depression any more or less real than another.

The sooner this thread runs it’s course the better.

Not long now.

What about part 2

"Not long now."

You’ve got another think coming

Jesus he only offer to help in what little way he can . Ffs I bet your sorry for starting the thread now . Lol I for one think is very sweet of him to offer . Ppl might not take it but it’s nice when we see or hear ppl would like to help

"The sooner this thread runs it’s course the better."

For some that don't care maybe so

"Not long now."

Don't you start!!

By *SAchickWoman  over a year ago

Hillside desolate

"The sooner this thread runs it’s course the better.

For some that don't care maybe so "

I don't think anyone doesn't care, it's just not constructive at all now.

"Jesus he only offer to help in what little way he can . Ffs I bet your sorry for starting the thread now . Lol I for one think is very sweet of him to offer . Ppl might not take it but it’s nice when we see or hear ppl would like to help "

I appreciate it man.. it was all good intentions taken way out of perspective.. My intention was to share ideas and may be someone would read this and think.... maybe that's worth trying or... I've never thought of it like that... kind of thing... I love you all regardless

"Not long now.

Don't you start!! "

Still here doing the grumpy shtick then.

"Not long now.

Don't you start!!

Still here doing the grumpy shtick then."

Afraid so, so where have you been, I have missed to tame

"The sooner this thread runs it’s course the better.

For some that don't care maybe so "

You care soooooo much, I can feel it.

I do care but people are making out I came her to cause people harm

Well it’s been good for me because it’s highlighted the sarcastic bullies on here

"Well it’s been good for me because it’s highlighted the sarcastic bullies on here "

THIS!!!!

What a place It can be at times.

"Jesus he only offer to help in what little way he can . Ffs I bet your sorry for starting the thread now . Lol I for one think is very sweet of him to offer . Ppl might not take it but it’s nice when we see or hear ppl would like to help "

Manchester (he/him)

"I do care but people are making out I came her to cause people harm

"

I don't see that, I just someone with good intent but with no knowledge of the subject ignoring those that do.

Sadly good intent doesn't always help. I don't resent you for the idea but arguing and pushing back has taken this thread to a contradictory position from your intent.

If you really do want to help then expand your thinking and your research. I really hope that you do.

West Wales

They are 2 very different things, yes. Something which a lot of people have difficulty seeing.

However "real" depression can be helped greatly by talking about it. By saying such a statement you are invalidating all of those people who have had real depression and having talked about it helped a great deal toward their recovery. It may not be the solution for everyone, and results may vary but it is a form of treatment for depression.

Depression itself is not a black and white thing, it is a huge! And I mean HUGE! Spectrum of intensities. Just becomes somebody suffers depression in a different way, for a different reason, at a different intensity does not make their depression any more or less real than another. "

Agreed, talking can help, which is why I said "I'M" not convinced, not that it doesn't work for some.

My wife rattles & my ex wife was a MD (No not a dr), bipolar & sectioned.

i'll leave it at that.

S

The end part 2 on way

West Wales

"I do care but people are making out I came her to cause people harm

"

You don't need to mean to cause someone harm to actually cause it, that's the problem with some depression.

S