Somewhere near here

Only a dolls house, cost £15 in asda one Christmas

Reply privately, Reply in forum +quote or View forums list

By (user no longer on site) OP     over a year ago

"Only a dolls house, cost £15 in asda one Christmas "

Gotcha

By (user no longer on site)  over a year ago

If you mean cash, cash, you'll be very lucky if you're not investigated by everyone from Fraud Office to International Terrorist Branch!

"If you mean cash, cash, you'll be very lucky if you're not investigated by everyone from Fraud Office to International Terrorist Branch!"

I was thinking that.. However I guess it depends on the amount.

I was in an estate agents today and the lady asked if I wanted to pay in cash, so I guess it's more common than I would of thought.

By *iss SJWoman  over a year ago

Hull

Aren’t there some houses in Liverpool that people bought for £1? I could scrape that up in cash I think, if you don’t examine one of the 20p’s too closely

"Aren’t there some houses in Liverpool that people bought for £1? I could scrape that up in cash I think, if you don’t examine one of the 20p’s too closely "

Oh, if only I could

"If you mean cash, cash, you'll be very lucky if you're not investigated by everyone from Fraud Office to International Terrorist Branch!

I was in an estate agents today and the lady asked if I wanted to pay in cash, so I guess it's more common than I would of thought. "

I do know a lot of solicitors actually won't let you pay in cash, as a suitcase full of cash.

Thought only drug cartels do this

"If you mean cash, cash, you'll be very lucky if you're not investigated by everyone from Fraud Office to International Terrorist Branch!

I was in an estate agents today and the lady asked if I wanted to pay in cash, so I guess it's more common than I would of thought.

I do know a lot of solicitors actually won't let you pay in cash, as a suitcase full of cash."

Funny you should say that, because the lady in the estate agents told me that poeple have handed cash to the solicitor and he then sorts the transaction out.

By *iss SJWoman  over a year ago

Hull

I do know a lot of solicitors actually won't let you pay in cash, as a suitcase full of cash."

Do they actually mean to pay in full via bank transfer or similar rather than pay by a mortgage? Not actually pay in cash

"Thought only drug cartels do this"

Not only drug dealers handle cash

By *icolerobbieCouple  over a year ago

walsall

Just do a bank transfer into your solicitors account and they will take care of it when contracts are complete. Pretty straightforward really.

I do know a lot of solicitors actually won't let you pay in cash, as a suitcase full of cash.

Do they actually mean to pay in full via bank transfer or similar rather than pay by a mortgage? Not actually pay in cash"

Since doing some research it looks like it means to buy a house without a mortgage. So bank transfer or paying with real cash.

"Thought only drug cartels do this

"

Ooops mustn't forget the mafia

"Just do a bank transfer into your solicitors account and they will take care of it when contracts are complete. Pretty straightforward really."

What if the money isn't in the bank though.

Do they actually mean to pay in full via bank transfer or similar rather than pay by a mortgage? Not actually pay in cash"

I did this

After the obvious checks for money laundering completed

No ‘cash buys’ or ‘transfers’ over a certain amount is permitted by law in the uk.

"Thought only drug cartels do this

Ooops mustn't forget the mafia "

And the Dell boys

Do they actually mean to pay in full via bank transfer or similar rather than pay by a mortgage? Not actually pay in cash

I did this

After the obvious checks for money laundering completed

No ‘cash buys’ or ‘transfers’ over a certain amount is permitted by law in the uk.

"

What is the amount?

We recently bought our house outright no mortgage our own money but was done through banks not suitcase full of £50 notes.

Accepting cash worth Rs 2 lakh or more in aggregate from a single person in a day or for one or more transactions relating to one event or occasion will lead to violation of cash transaction law. Receiving or repaying Rs 20,000 or more in cash for transfer of immovable property can invite tax trouble or penalty

walsall

"Just do a bank transfer into your solicitors account and they will take care of it when contracts are complete. Pretty straightforward really.

What if the money isn't in the bank though. "

Simply pay it into the bank, and then do the transfer.

"Accepting cash worth Rs 2 lakh or more in aggregate from a single person in a day or for one or more transactions relating to one event or occasion will lead to violation of cash transaction law. Receiving or repaying Rs 20,000 or more in cash for transfer of immovable property can invite tax trouble or penalty"

What do that mean in plain English

"Just do a bank transfer into your solicitors account and they will take care of it when contracts are complete. Pretty straightforward really.

Simply pay it into the bank, and then do the transfer."

£1500 cash limit per week to pay into a bank

Money laundering/illicit earnings/tax fraud

By *icecouple561Couple  over a year ago
Forum Mod

East Sussex

you can do it if you sell one house that you own outright then buy another with the proceeds or buy one for the difference in your outstanding mortgage and what you sell it for. That's what we did

Cash, yes I have, but not using actual notes!

"you can do it if you sell one house that you own outright then buy another with the proceeds or buy one for the difference in your outstanding mortgage and what you sell it for. That's what we did

"

Me too

Cash income explained

"you can do it if you sell one house that you own outright then buy another with the proceeds or buy one for the difference in your outstanding mortgage and what you sell it for. That's what we did

"

We’ve just done same thing

Simply pay it into the bank, and then do the transfer."

I thought that would be a awkward part. I guess they would want to know where the cash came from and then involve the tax man?

I was on jury service 26 years ago and 3 people were up for drug smuggling. One payed cash for a house and one paid cash for a new sports car. Back then it was the law to inform the authorities if it was a payment over 20k cash

By *icecouple561Couple  over a year ago
Forum Mod

East Sussex

I thought that would be a awkward part. I guess they would want to know where the cash came from and then involve the tax man?"

usually when an estate agent asks if you're paying cash they just mean do you need a mortgage.

walsall

I thought that would be a awkward part. I guess they would want to know where the cash came from and then involve the tax man?"

Are you trying to avoid paying tax ?

I thought that would be a awkward part. I guess they would want to know where the cash came from and then involve the tax man?

Are you trying to avoid paying tax ?"

Yes I'd rather not pay tax. I don't understsnd it to be honest.

walsall

Yes I'd rather not pay tax. I don't understsnd it to be honest."

Don’t pay in the bank then.

Yes I'd rather not pay tax. I don't understsnd it to be honest.

Don’t pay in the bank then. "

By *emini ManMan  over a year ago

There and to the left a bit

"Cash buyer" is a common estate agent term - that basically means, as others have said, that you can buy a property outright without the need for a mortgage - it doesn't mean handing over actual cash

Depends on the amounts involved but yup as it would get flagged for investigation under money laundering regulations. Paying for a house with a suitcase of cash would trigger the same investigation. Things have become much stricter in the last 10 years.

Depends on the amounts involved but yup as it would get flagged for investigation under money laundering regulations. Paying for a house with a suitcase of cash would trigger the same investigation. Things have become much stricter in the last 10 years."

I'm not talking a huge amount. Il see further into it.

Depends on the amounts involved but yup as it would get flagged for investigation under money laundering regulations. Paying for a house with a suitcase of cash would trigger the same investigation. Things have become much stricter in the last 10 years.

I'm not talking a huge amount. Il see further into it."

Yes it is the bigger amounts that get their attention.

By *ophieslutTV/TS  over a year ago

Central

Yes I'd rather not pay tax. I don't understsnd it to be honest."

Look out for special advice that ensures you are protected, getting the best deals and don't get unwarranted attention. Sometimes we just need to rely on others who have the knowledge or expertise, rather than trying to be a good enough expert in everything.

By *emini ManMan  over a year ago

There and to the left a bit

As I told you in PM OP - get a solicitor, once you have an offer accepted on a house - explain your financial situation if you're able to buy without a mortgage - they'll explain what you need to do and the steps to get there.

Thanks Everyone

By *adame 2SwordsWoman  over a year ago

Victoria, London

As you're generally questioned with anything over £500 in case of money laundering.HMRC really look out for stuff like that

When we had Asian people that wanted to buy our house, we had 3 people of a family turn up with black bin bags of cash to tempt us into selling very quickly. We turned it down. This was 2 years a go.

By *ollydoesWoman  over a year ago

Shangri-La

Before i got my house i brought my flat. Thst was considered a cash deal as no moorgate.

By *ara JTV/TS  over a year ago

Bristol East

Have you just won £169m on the lottery?

By *rontier PsychiatristMan  over a year ago

Coventry

Me too. Although I had to sort out all the interior design my self as every room was just plain magnolia. But I managed to print off some lovely wall paper and floor tiles for the kitchen and bathroom. Plus the Scooby Doo themed attic room went down a treat.

Coventry

You by actually handing over wads of physical paper notes?

Coventry

"When we had Asian people that wanted to buy our house, we had 3 people of a family turn up with black bin bags of cash to tempt us into selling very quickly. We turned it down. This was 2 years a go."

My friends family don't go to banks. All the family chip in and they pay back over time interest free.

I think the term generally means buying it outright without the aid of a mortgage.

Yes you can. Not cash in a bag as such, i took equity out my house to buy a rental house in merthyr Tydfil around 7 years ago. The house was £30k so bought without a mortgage. Thats classed as a cash purchase. However solicitors do bank checks to see where the cash has come from. If you just payed £xxxxx into your bank and tried to buy many questions would be asked. Best advise id give if you have cash you need to get in the bank is set a ltd company up, set a business account up pay it in and the relevant personal tax... fold the company before 18 months at a loss.

"Have you just won £169m on the lottery?

"

wasn't it £175m?

"Accepting cash worth Rs 2 lakh or more in aggregate from a single person in a day or for one or more transactions relating to one event or occasion will lead to violation of cash transaction law. Receiving or repaying Rs 20,000 or more in cash for transfer of immovable property can invite tax trouble or penalty

What do that mean in plain English "

That does not apply in the UK!

By *AYENCouple  over a year ago

Lincolnshire

A large wodge of cash is pretty useless, that's why organised crime set up very complex money laundering operations.

By *ara JTV/TS  over a year ago

Bristol East

"Have you just won £169m on the lottery?

wasn't it £175m? "

The interest is phenomenal

By *allySlinkyWoman  over a year ago

Leeds

If you put in an offer to buy a house before it is accepted you need to have a mortgage offer in place or proof from your bank that you have sufficient funds to cover the purchase. If you have a stash of cash hidden somewhere you wouldn't be able to provide proof. No way would they accept your bulging suitcase of presumably ill gotten gains.

By *xhib12Man  over a year ago

Blyth

"Anyone done this? "

Yes, I have two properties which I rent out, both were cash purchases.

By *ooskiMan  over a year ago

south coast

Paid cash (outright) for many a property both here and abroad.

No didnt walk around with suitcse or rucksack filled with notes..

a few button presses on pc and moneny from me to them and vice verse.

Had more hassle buying cars for cash than property..!!!

[Removed by poster at 12/10/19 08:30:58]

I assume that cash means not mortgage et.

You don't need finance from anyone and have the ability to transfer then and there if needed

lmao ha ha

By *orthantsblueeyesMan  over a year ago

Northampton

Not even close, monopoly yes

Leeds

"Anyone done this? "

Yes I've done it three times

By *ranny-CrumpetWoman  over a year ago

King's Crustacean

"Aren’t there some houses in Liverpool that people bought for £1? I could scrape that up in cash I think, if you don’t examine one of the 20p’s too closely "

They are derelict and you have to prove you have the money and the ability to renovate it fully in one year or lose it.

Terrible the way the council moved everyone out of those homes to make way for road changes that never happened. They left them to rot and now don't have the money to do anything with them. Hence they sell them off for a quid if you can prove you will do it up.

You'll still be surrounded by dereliction though if the other houses don't sell.

By *ants cockWoman  over a year ago

lincoln

"Anyone done this? "

Yes many do. You just need proof that you have the cash

Yes have bought a property with no mortgage which is considered a cash purchase

Our latest house we never needed a mortgage as made big profit on selling last home. We used the same solicitor for both transactions so they knew where the money came from. But we also bought new car with cash and we had to show the car dealers proof of where the money came from.

By *sGivesWoodWoman  over a year ago

ST. AUSTELL, CORNWALL

Yes, via bank transfer through solicitors.

By *ildjianMan  over a year ago

London

The other side of the coin (see what I did there) is you wouldn't want to accept cash if you were the seller.

On another note, (and again) has anyone tried to pay cash into someone else's account lately?

Very good lol

By *ylvie 888Woman  over a year ago

Cleethorpes

I did. But funds still had to tfr via solicitors to stop me being investigated.

By *iss_tressWoman  over a year ago

London

"If you mean cash, cash, you'll be very lucky if you're not investigated by everyone from Fraud Office to International Terrorist Branch!"

If you can provide a money trail you won't be.

"Aren’t there some houses in Liverpool that people bought for £1? I could scrape that up in cash I think, if you don’t examine one of the 20p’s too closely

They are derelict and you have to prove you have the money and the ability to renovate it fully in one year or lose it.

Terrible the way the council moved everyone out of those homes to make way for road changes that never happened. They left them to rot and now don't have the money to do anything with them. Hence they sell them off for a quid if you can prove you will do it up.

You'll still be surrounded by dereliction though if the other houses don't sell. "

They did a 2nd series about the area and it looked like most of the houses were finished. Hope the community is good now.

By *ooskiMan  over a year ago

south coast

"Our latest house we never needed a mortgage as made big profit on selling last home. We used the same solicitor for both transactions so they knew where the money came from. But we also bought new car with cash and we had to show the car dealers proof of where the money came from. "

Tell me about it when buying cars......, dont want finance etc......just want to buy the car......

"Our latest house we never needed a mortgage as made big profit on selling last home. We used the same solicitor for both transactions so they knew where the money came from. But we also bought new car with cash and we had to show the car dealers proof of where the money came from. "

You bought a car with a bag of cash notes? Or like via Switch?

By *ait88Man  over a year ago

Plymouth

Yep. Twice! Saved up all my pennies during a 3-yesr contract in Darkest Africa and a 5-year one in, of course, Saudi.

Bought a Bristol car as well - that wasn't a new one either.

That was all a year or two ago, now.

You can still do this today if you're in the right line of business.

Used to be a legal PA and peoe definitely did back in the 80s ...remember one and it was all used notes too!

By *nmgCouple  over a year ago

Liverpool

"Anyone done this? "

I'm actually in the process now

By *ooking4othersMan  over a year ago

Here ...

Anybody can buy anything in cash ... just be prepared to prove where it came from ... if you can't prove it was from a legitimate source then you may well lose it.

By *a LunaWoman  over a year ago

South

There are various money laundering rules and stuff that Solicitors and Banks have to obide by. I’m sure they’d seriously question someone paying for a property in “cash”. It’s done by bank transfers usually.

"There are various money laundering rules and stuff that Solicitors and Banks have to obide by. I’m sure they’d seriously question someone paying for a property in “cash”. It’s done by bank transfers usually. "

Yes when a noticeable amount of cash enters the system these days the authorities want to know was it earned legitimately and has tax been paid on it. If you can prove it passes both those tests then all is good. Banks have pretty sophisticated computer systems monitoring account transactions looking for this sort of stuff.

By *sGivesWoodWoman  over a year ago

ST. AUSTELL, CORNWALL

"Aren’t there some houses in Liverpool that people bought for £1? I could scrape that up in cash I think, if you don’t examine one of the 20p’s too closely

You'll still be surrounded by dereliction though if the other houses don't sell.

They did a 2nd series about the area and it looked like most of the houses were finished. Hope the community is good now."

What was the series called?

By *elnkazCouple  over a year ago

cheshire

Yes. And I wasn't investigated for fraud lol.. It was from sale of bigger house to smaller cheaper one.. K

Leeds

"Yes. And I wasn't investigated for fraud lol.. It was from sale of bigger house to smaller cheaper one.. K"

But did you use actual cash ?

By *lanemikeMan  over a year ago

Bolton

Some ears back I bought my daughter a house, no mortgage involved. I assembled all the cash into a bank account and transferred it to a solicitor. The cash (not notes) came from several sources. As far I am aware, no one investigate where the money had come from. It was all legally acquired, I had run a moderately successful business over a number of years....

"Accepting cash worth Rs 2 lakh or more in aggregate from a single person in a day or for one or more transactions relating to one event or occasion will lead to violation of cash transaction law. Receiving or repaying Rs 20,000 or more in cash for transfer of immovable property can invite tax trouble or penalty

That does not apply in the UK!"

It came from the HRMC website?

By *evil_u_knowMan  over a year ago

city

When an estate agent asks if youre a cash buyer, they mean if youre not part of a chain. Ie. you have the cash in your bank account ready to go.

They dont mean "Do you have duffle bags at home full of money to complete this buy?"

You cant buy a house anywhere in Europe without going through solicitors or a council department.

I know someone who had gotten a loan from their parents for just the deposit of the house. Tax man, and solicitors needed sworn affidavits from the parents before the purchase could go ahead.

By *izzy.Woman  over a year ago

Stoke area

That does not apply in the UK!

It came from the HRMC website? "

Not in Britain. What the heck are Rs....rupees?

By *evil_u_knowMan  over a year ago

city

"Not in Britain. What the heck are Rs....rupees? "

Yes, it is the rules explained to buyers in India, in their currency, thats all.

The Money laundering Regulations 2007

The Money Laundering Regulations covers the independent legal professionals, credit institutions, auditors, insolvency Practioners, external accountants and tax advisors and also includes the company services provider estates agents high value dealers and casinos. [7]

These institutions require the identity of the new client be checked in any of the following situations. When starting a new business, to carrying out an occasional transaction or any suspicious money laundering operation and where the suspicion is being raised as to reliability or competence of documents, facts or information before obtained for the purposes of recognition or proof. It would be wise for most financial services firms to require that all new clients have their identity checked at outset. Failure to do so give rise to the risk of someone using the firm on an incremental basis and then getting round the identity checking requirement because the relevant person does not remember to do so once the threshold is crossed. Client’s identity should be checked at the outset but the regulation does the permission some variation in this. Where the nature of the contracts with client is not possible. If the business is with another country the client’s identity should be taken in the first transaction and he is dealing with the financial institutions the person identity should be checked at the same way. So it is important when before doing the new transaction the client’s identification must be obtained to overcome on this crime. That is the first step by using which suspicion transaction can be stopped.

The updates to money laundering regulations in the UK in 2017 brought in a number of changes to required practice. Some of the main changes are summarised here: 1. The maximum amount allowed for cash payments has been reduced from €15,000 to €10,000 (currently £8800) per transaction or 'series of transactions'.

By *om and JennieCouple  over a year ago

Chams or Socials

I was in an estate agents today and the lady asked if I wanted to pay in cash, so I guess it's more common than I would of thought. "

They probably meant a bank transfer rather than actual cash

J x

By *ampshirehotwifeWoman  over a year ago

Hampshire

So my dream of winning the lottery and going into a car dealership and paying cash for a brand new range rover or Bentley is not allowed??

Build your own !

"Anyone done this? "
Am sure you can’t pay for anything over £10,000 cash

By *ed-monkeyCouple  over a year ago

Hailsham

As I think has been said ...

Being a cash buyer doesn't mean you're walking in with a suitcase of the folding

It means you're free of mortgage and chain, that is, the money is in the bank ..

The actual transaction is through a conveyancing solicitor

Cash buyer tends to make you more attractive to vendors as a quicker sale can be achieved (although it's usually the searches that take the most time)

By *inky-MinxWoman  over a year ago

Grantham

I know someone who has. A decent solicitor knows how to deal with it.

You would be asked how you got the money.

Leeds

"I know someone who has. A decent solicitor knows how to deal with it.

You would be asked how you got the money."

Why couldn't your acquaintance deposit the cash into a bank and pay by bank transfer ? Why would a "decent solicitor" be willing to handle over £100 000 of cash ? How do the solicitors have the appropriate security to store it and transfer it to the vending solicitor ?

By *inky-MinxWoman  over a year ago

Grantham

"I know someone who has. A decent solicitor knows how to deal with it.

You would be asked how you got the money.

Why couldn't your acquaintance deposit the cash into a bank and pay by bank transfer ? Why would a "decent solicitor" be willing to handle over £100 000 of cash ? How do the solicitors have the appropriate security to store it and transfer it to the vending solicitor ?"

By cash I mean without a mortgage. Even if you transfer tens of thousands of pounds by bank you may get asked where you got the money from.

» Add a new message to this topic