This years theme is mental health in the work place

Give your experiences and mental.health in general

Reply privately, Reply in forum +quote or View forums list

By (user no longer on site)  over a year ago

No idea iv never had a test for it i think im ok but who knows

By *uciyassMan  over a year ago

sheffield

Totally think it’s a great idea. But I think a week would have been more fitting to really drive it home rather than a day.

But remember we are all hit by mental health in one shape or form. So don’t forgot those affected. It helps to talk

By *pursChick aka ShortieWoman  over a year ago

On a mooch

"This years theme is mental health in the work place

Give your experiences and mental.health in general"

It’s main theme this year though is suicide

Today however is the day that you might see your company doing something.... confirming what services they have available to you or alike.

As a Mental Health First Aider for my company I’ve a busy day ahead, passing the message across that there are so many resources readily available to them; there are so many of us you can talk to; but most importantly to get rid of that stigma and confirm “it’s ok to not be ok” and don’t let the bucket reach breaking point

All of us who are MFAs have all been through some kind of breakdown for lots of different reasons. Today, we will be sharing our stories (all very different) and in a way showing people, you can come out the other side, learn to cope, but you need support to do it

Work... They give phone numbers for 'help' groups. Makes them feel better about making their staff so stressed they can't function.

By *iamondsmiles. OP   Woman  over a year ago

little house on the praire

Its also good to see all the adverts on this week

Childhood trauma for me

The death of a parent

There is a test you can take called the ACE test for past trauma x

Work... They give phone numbers for 'help' groups. Makes them feel better about making their staff so stressed they can't function."

Exactly why I have just left my last place of work

They talked the talk and got all sorts of "awards" from all sorts of places

But they actually really didnt give a stuff about you as a person

We arent mad or crazy certifiably insane maybe....but as we told the psychiatrist it's a matter of opinion...

I work in mental health and talking helps, your feelings do not need validations or reasons they are yours, don't be scared to share, people may not understand but people do care and will want to help. If you don't feel able to verbalise your feelings write them

It's a week in Canada;

May is also mental health awareness month here;

One of our phone carriers has Bell Let's Talk Day that let's anyone call anyone for free long distance that reconnects people with family/loved ones/support lines

RAK campaigns every month (random act of kindness) driven by our national coffee chain and radio stations.

List goes on and on...

I've spent 20 years of my life as a social worker and emt. This is very important to me, and I'm happy to see people talking about it anywhere in the world.

You rock for bringing this up OP.

On a mooch

[Removed by poster at 10/10/19 08:22:33]

On a mooch

Work... They give phone numbers for 'help' groups. Makes them feel better about making their staff so stressed they can't function."

At least they are offering support, so many companies don’t.

Please don’t knock it, especially as it might not necessarily be work that is someone’s touch paper; in fact a lot use work as a safe place to focus and escape other issues

By *lbinoGorillaMan  over a year ago

Redditch

"All of us who are MFAs have all been through some kind of breakdown for lots of different reasons. Today, we will be sharing our stories (all very different) and in a way showing people, you can come out the other side, learn to cope, but you need support to do it "

I have a friend who's just got this qualification, because as the adopter of two girls who were neglected as babies he and his wife have seen a lot and I think he wanted to do something to help.

I'm fairly certain he's never had a breakdown of any kind, but he did say that he and I need to talk. Which I assume means he thinks I have.

I do suffer from bouts of being down quite regularly, so he could well be right. Especially as I overly-equate my personal life with overall happiness, and it's currently a bit of a car crash

On a mooch

"All of us who are MFAs have all been through some kind of breakdown for lots of different reasons. Today, we will be sharing our stories (all very different) and in a way showing people, you can come out the other side, learn to cope, but you need support to do it

I have a friend who's just got this qualification, because as the adopter of two girls who were neglected as babies he and his wife have seen a lot and I think he wanted to do something to help.

I'm fairly certain he's never had a breakdown of any kind, but he did say that he and I need to talk. Which I assume means he thinks I have.

I do suffer from bouts of being down quite regularly, so he could well be right. Especially as I overly-equate my personal life with overall happiness, and it's currently a bit of a car crash"

Sorry I wasn’t clear, I didn’t intend to imply that everyone who has the qualification has gone through a breakdown. I was specifically talking about those in my company.

Your friend is obviously recognising signs in you and reaching out; we aren’t qualified to cure anyone that’s the professional’s job; but we are taught to recognise certain signs and just be that starting point to talking.

Let your friend help you

By *eddybear19782Man  over a year ago

Blackburn

I do suffer and have done for years kept it hidden but have opened up and it socked a few that i suffered with depression but i do talk to a select few and it helps loads instead of bottling it up

I am here to listen to ANYONE talk about ANYTHING at ANYTIME.

I am not a professional but i can be a sounding board for anyone who needs to just TALK x

My workplace declared they are supporting MH awareness day yestetday after most staff had finished for the day. For an organisation where many staff are in high stress roles and subjected to very traumatic situations, they are shit.

Im a survivor of para suicide. I havent attempted suicide for 14.years

That doesnt mean i dont think about it but i have the right support in place

On a mooch

"My workplace declared they are supporting MH awareness day yestetday after most staff had finished for the day. For an organisation where many staff are in high stress roles and subjected to very traumatic situations, they are shit."

The workplace is one environment that has struggled in the past, but companies are changing. Any step, how ever small, is a step in the right direction. Listen to what they are offering

My company is a global one and MH / well being has been widely available and discussed in all the other offices around the world for years.

This year is the first time in HQ that the MFAs have been made public and we are allowed to be visible to the staff. It’s a new concept to staff but they are embracing it, as now the message is clear.

I suffer from depression and take 40mg Citalopram every day. I've been very lucky as the sector in which I work (policing) is very aware of the impact of MH in the workplace. I've had some very good counsellors down the years.

Work... They give phone numbers for 'help' groups. Makes them feel better about making their staff so stressed they can't function.

Exactly why I have just left my last place of work

They talked the talk and got all sorts of "awards" from all sorts of places

But they actually really didnt give a stuff about you as a person "

At least they are offering support, so many companies don’t.

Please don’t knock it, especially as it might not necessarily be work that is someone’s touch paper; in fact a lot use work as a safe place to focus and escape other issues "

I'm not saying it's bad that they're trying to help. I agree it will/ may help people with other issues.

The only good thing about having a day dedicated to this is that it gets us talking. Usually not to colleagues, but threads like this are wonderful

By *rAngleseyMan  over a year ago

Anglesey

It`s true what they say "All your trouble in business comes on two legs". Some of the people ive employed in the past have seriously affected my mental health. It beggars belief what stupid things people do. I laugh when it happens now.

I'm lucky enough (and I genuinely mean that) to work with patients presenting with "mental health" issues. Some are just having a bad week or a minor wobble.

Others are far more serious. Talking is one of the best remedies, unloading some of the burden. It's a shame that mental health is given just one day a year. We should be talking about it more.

And on that note. I'm happy to talk to anyone about anything.

Suffered for years its still a taboo subject but glad people are talking more . you find out who your real friends are when you need them....its horrible you plaster a smile on but youre dying inside trapped in a mind thats stuck in a bottomless pit

By *emini ManMan  over a year ago

There and to the left a bit

I'm all for anything that promotes mental health awareness - as I said in another thread all too often it is seen as a sign of weakness and something to be ashamed of, which it is not, it really is ok to not be ok.

I've been lucky to never have suffered but have been close to people that have and have seen first hand what an awful illness it can be and what an impact it can have.

Not sure what my company are doing to promote it but applaud any that do, and provide help for those that need it.

"Childhood trauma for me

The death of a parent

There is a test you can take called the ACE test for past trauma x"

Really? is it for any childhood trauma or just bereavement? Can adults do it.

Thanks

By *naswingdressWoman  over a year ago

Manchester (she/her)

"Childhood trauma for me

The death of a parent

There is a test you can take called the ACE test for past trauma x.

Thanks

"

Any childhood trauma, and yes, because it's based on the childhood you had.

Manchester (she/her)

It's an issue I'm intimately familiar with in far too many ways. I won't be baring my vulnerability for the world, there's a balance to be had. And I'm all too aware of the potential for vicarious trauma in sharing.

But for those suffering: there are paths out, you just need to find one that works for you. The fight is exhausting and I know you're tired, you're not alone in that. But the light at the end of the tunnel is magnificent.

On a mooch

"Suffered for years its still a taboo subject but glad people are talking more . you find out who your real friends are when you need them....its horrible you plaster a smile on but youre dying inside trapped in a mind thats stuck in a bottomless pit "

True to the friends comment. However, I’ve seen they really didn’t have a clue what to say or do and easier for them to back off. I completely understand this, just as I pushed people away that kept saying “snap out of it, get back to your old self, everything will be fine”.

It can become an isolating world but that’s where reaching out to strangers, I found, helped

Yes you put the smile mask on as it’s easier for you, and them, but it will slip eventually. I’ve learnt bottling it all up isn’t healthy, you need to find your way to release. I’m still not a great talker as opens the locked can of worms, but I’ve found other releases, either writing (nothing anyone will ever see) or recently back to drawing.

It’s finding what works for you, there’s so many different options

By *eefyBangerMan  over a year ago

edinburgh

Most of these huge big multi billion pound corporations are so caught up in themselves that they don’t realise that they are the cause of a large percentage of their staffs mental health issues. It’s all a PR stunt

It’s nothing more than propaganda

"Childhood trauma for me

The death of a parent

There is a test you can take called the ACE test for past trauma x.

Thanks

Any childhood trauma, and yes, because it's based on the childhood you had. "

Thank you I will look online.

Lived with it for around 6 years although never spoke about it until recently. Always saw it as a weakness and refused to accept i may have it and tried to come in my own way.

This year has been particularly difficult ive pushed people away basically gone into self destruct mode. March and again in june i took a overdose.. this is somthing until now only my sister knows about.

I accepted i needed help 6 weeks ago after coming close again to ending it.

Honestly its the best thing i have done speaking to someone and getting correct help. Everyone sees me as successful, not a worry in the world nice cars house ect but what they dont know ive woke up for years in tears.

I have no money problems, a good unstressed job, friends and good family around me, i have zero worries thats what i couldnt understand. The issue i have is a chemical inbalance which im now on meds for and its helping.

Ive been making a video blog the bad times the good and the recovery which im releasing on youtube to try and help others.

Remember its not a weakness to talk... talk dont be a statistic.

First off, love this thread

Great to see mental health taking precident in people's lives.

My first experience is hiding in work to avoid feeling grief, lost my grandfather and Mrs miscarried in the same weekend, when I wasn't working I was making sure Mrs was OK and being her rock, when I was working I was keeping myself busy so I didn't have to think about it, eventually all caught up with me and i had a breakdown

Thankyou everyone for sharing your experiences

By *lbinoGorillaMan  over a year ago

Redditch

"All of us who are MFAs have all been through some kind of breakdown for lots of different reasons. Today, we will be sharing our stories (all very different) and in a way showing people, you can come out the other side, learn to cope, but you need support to do it

I do suffer from bouts of being down quite regularly, so he could well be right. Especially as I overly-equate my personal life with overall happiness, and it's currently a bit of a car crash

Sorry I wasn’t clear, I didn’t intend to imply that everyone who has the qualification has gone through a breakdown. I was specifically talking about those in my company.

Your friend is obviously recognising signs in you and reaching out; we aren’t qualified to cure anyone that’s the professional’s job; but we are taught to recognise certain signs and just be that starting point to talking.

Let your friend help you

"

Oh, sorry Spurschick - I misunderstood you. My bad

But thanks for your concern.

I will try to let him help, but I do struggle to let my guard down in certain things. Especially when they're the same thing over and over....

By *hunky GentMan  over a year ago

Maldon and Peterborough

I've seen a few friends go through traumatic and difficult times.

Always here if anyone wants to chat.

I will admit I once went to a very dark place . It was an awful time filled with anxiety and confusion a lack of self worth .

It's an experience I never wish to relive .

I found mindfulness, it changed my around . It calms me keeps me fixed in the here and now .

It's not a cure all for all but worked for me .

I fully emaphise with those suffering from what is an unseen condition

Taff

On a mooch

Let your friend help you

Oh, sorry Spurschick - I misunderstood you. My bad

But thanks for your concern.

I will try to let him help, but I do struggle to let my guard down in certain things. Especially when they're the same thing over and over...."

No need to apologise at all, I wasn’t clear and am easy assumption to make

Re your friend and letting your guard down, you don’t need to completely lower it, find what is comfortable for you. Likewise your friend will understand if it the same thing over and over that you are referring to. One step at time, one day at a time

On a mooch

"Lived with it for around 6 years although never spoke about it until recently. Always saw it as a weakness and refused to accept i may have it and tried to come in my own way.

This year has been particularly difficult ive pushed people away basically gone into self destruct mode. March and again in june i took a overdose.. this is somthing until now only my sister knows about.

I accepted i needed help 6 weeks ago after coming close again to ending it.

Honestly its the best thing i have done speaking to someone and getting correct help. Everyone sees me as successful, not a worry in the world nice cars house ect but what they dont know ive woke up for years in tears.

I have no money problems, a good unstressed job, friends and good family around me, i have zero worries thats what i couldnt understand. The issue i have is a chemical inbalance which im now on meds for and its helping.

Ive been making a video blog the bad times the good and the recovery which im releasing on youtube to try and help others.

Remember its not a weakness to talk... talk dont be a statistic."

On a mooch

Most of these huge big multi billion pound corporations are so caught up in themselves that they don’t realise that they are the cause of a large percentage of their staffs mental health issues. It’s all a PR stunt

It’s nothing more than propaganda "

Completely understand your opinion. I for one can it’s not PR or propaganda here, it’s something they have recognised at last is an issue and it’s not necessarily the work that is causing it.

I’m pleased at last my company is moving in the right direction, and those that suffer now have the support. It’s something that was not around two years ago for me and brushed under the carpet

I can only see it as a positive step forward

After I tried to kill myself last year my manager very deliberately sought to isolate me from my colleagues in the hope that one way or another be it resignation or sickness I no longer would be his problem to manage. He's blissfully unaware that his team sussed his vile agenda nor how disliked he is because of it.

So yeah, workplace support for mental health, that's a bit of a touchy subject

By *uryWhipMan  over a year ago

Harringay

Mental health should always have an awareness, not just a day or a week coz for those if us that have problems, it stays with us. I know someone whos doing some hour long Yoga thing at work today. I said 'you do Yoga every Thursday, I have to deal with this shit every day.' 'But this is for awareness' was reply. Do people even know what they're doing or just joining in so they dont look bad?

For those that dont know meni have anxiety depression and bipolar

By *ommickMan  over a year ago

cork

This place can be great and terrible for mental health I guess all social media is the same....can't beat fresh air and peace and quiet

I don’t work so have no idea what it’s like in the work place. But recognising it and dealing effectively with it shouldn’t be just a one day thing. Unfortunately too many companies just do it as a pr exercise and don’t really care about their staff x

By *wisted999Man  over a year ago

North Bucks

This thread reminded me to text my friend who I posted about last year.

He’s doing really well at work now. I’m so glad.

Luckily in his line of work he has access to a great support structure.

By *hatMinxOverThereWoman  over a year ago

42 Wallaby Way

I recently was signed off work for 3 weeks due to severely ill mental health. My manager still hasn't spoken to me about it. Luckily my team leader has though.

I recently found out I have borderline personality disorder and I am going through splitting up with my husband and living alone for the first time in my whole life. It's a really difficult time for me but I'm trying my best!

Maldon and Peterborough

"I recently was signed off work for 3 weeks due to severely ill mental health. My manager still hasn't spoken to me about it. Luckily my team leader has though.

I recently found out I have borderline personality disorder and I am going through splitting up with my husband and living alone for the first time in my whole life. It's a really difficult time for me but I'm trying my best! "

Good girl.

By *ea monkeyMan  over a year ago

Manchester (he/him)

I guess I'm quite lucky in that I work for a small company and have personal relationships with my line manager and my GM, in the past when I needed time or to rearrange my work hours for counselling, they were great.

I've slowly been building a support network of people that I can turn to and I try to offer support in the same vein that I'd want it.

It is a slow process, recovery isn't linear and god knows there are bumps on the way. Getting the tools to aid myself has been the biggest thing I've done.

For everyone suffering in silence, please don't, talking is the best thing that you can possibly do. There is always someone to listen.

I'm mental and fully aware of it!

Manchester (she/her)

I'm just going to highlight what _ea monkey says.

Recovery isn't linear.

It's a line that's now way overused and taken out of context, but it's worthwhile anyway. Day by day, hour by hour, moment by moment. It's not about always succeeding. It's about doing what you're capable of (not always your best/ burning yourself out) when you can.

"I guess I'm quite lucky in that I work for a small company and have personal relationships with my line manager and my GM, in the past when I needed time or to rearrange my work hours for counselling, they were great.

I've slowly been building a support network of people that I can turn to and I try to offer support in the same vein that I'd want it.

It is a slow process, recovery isn't linear and god knows there are bumps on the way. Getting the tools to aid myself has been the biggest thing I've done.

For everyone suffering in silence, please don't, talking is the best thing that you can possibly do. There is always someone to listen. "

By *affron40Woman  over a year ago

manchester

Recovery is definitely an ongoing thing. Finding tools that keep you level and topping up when things get tough.

I’m blessed to be on the brighter side of life now. This time last year I had no wish to live.

I’m now the most content I’ve been in years.

Taking a half day today as a treat to go see my mum and remind myself of how far I’ve come.

Every days a journey. Keep talking

There are so many awareness days now I don't think I am in the minority for ignoring them all.

By *ackenzie-LeighWoman  over a year ago

Shropshire

Childhood trauma and abuse, domestic violence survivor, ptsd warrior. Tried to take my own life more than once. The one thing I have learned is that the dark days don't last. I'm lucky to have a good support system in my workplace, they're very understanding

Sorry was at work

Yes anyone can do it

"Sorry was at work

Yes anyone can do it

"

The ACE test I mean x

"I will admit I once went to a very dark place . It was an awful time filled with anxiety and confusion a lack of self worth .

It's an experience I never wish to relive.

Taff "

You've been to Newport too? Twinned with Mordor

bump for the late arrivals

Maldon and Peterborough

"bump for the late arrivals"

Ouch. Don't punch so hard. Lol

"Suffered for years its still a taboo subject but glad people are talking more . you find out who your real friends are when you need them....its horrible you plaster a smile on but youre dying inside trapped in a mind thats stuck in a bottomless pit

True to the friends comment. However, I’ve seen they really didn’t have a clue what to say or do and easier for them to back off. I completely understand this, just as I pushed people away that kept saying “snap out of it, get back to your old self, everything will be fine”.

It can become an isolating world but that’s where reaching out to strangers, I found, helped

Yes you put the smile mask on as it’s easier for you, and them, but it will slip eventually. I’ve learnt bottling it all up isn’t healthy, you need to find your way to release. I’m still not a great talker as opens the locked can of worms, but I’ve found other releases, either writing (nothing anyone will ever see) or recently back to drawing.

It’s finding what works for you, there’s so many different options "

Snap out of it comment and what have you got to be depressed about .make me feel as if im the one in the wrong because you cant see it its not there ...same as my child with Autism you cant see it so people think hes naughty...etc!

On a mooch

Well it’s been a huge success here, it’s got people talking openly in their groups about lots of different issues, how they can help each other, etc.

Some even took the huge brave step by admitting they were struggling, either directly to the MFAs, HR or their bosses

Had a positive effect and more wish you be trained to help

Maldon and Peterborough

"Well it’s been a huge success here, it’s got people talking openly in their groups about lots of different issues, how they can help each other, etc.

Some even took the huge brave step by admitting they were struggling, either directly to the MFAs, HR or their bosses

"

It so lovely that positive things like this happen on this site. Xxx

By *ay123mailMan  over a year ago

Seaham

Never had and problems or issues bad enough to address/seek professional health about( although nearly smashing someones head in with a hammer after taking me for 36k and almost losing my house was not a good place to be) but if anyone wants to talk about anything at all and dont feel it needs professional attention just shoot me a message. I can always try to help/advise or just listen

"Well it’s been a huge success here, it’s got people talking openly in their groups about lots of different issues, how they can help each other, etc.

"

thats brilliant

and once more for the nighttime viewers

On a mooch

thats brilliant"

It definitely made me smile today to see everyone interacting and being open about their feelings, fears, etc.

To be named the most known, helpful MFA by over half makes it all worthwhile.... the little time it takes to lend an ear, can really make a difference to someone

"After I tried to kill myself last year my manager very deliberately sought to isolate me from my colleagues in the hope that one way or another be it resignation or sickness I no longer would be his problem to manage. He's blissfully unaware that his team sussed his vile agenda nor how disliked he is because of it.

So yeah, workplace support for mental health, that's a bit of a touchy subject "

What a nasty man. Glad your colleagues have seen through him. Hope they have supported you.

"

I'm not trained but I have counseled a fair few through life's traumas, just by virtue of being a father and a middle manager who has had to deal with a lot of weird shit. it gives you perspective, and of course it's always easier to address other people's issues, rather than your own.

I am a qualified psychotherapeutic counsellor, ex mental health nurse and reiki healer.

I also suffer from Generalised Anxiety and Depression Disorder and PTSD following an abusive relationship with an excuse for a man.

Nowadays I'm just grateful that I can get out of bed. Some days are brilliant. Others are not. I'm lucky, I have good friends, lovely kids who understand and support me without overwhelming me. And some gorgeous friends on here.

Nobody is immune from MH issues. I've known people who seem sane and grounded commit suicide. Kind, generous people be admitted to MH facilities when it all got too much.

My door is always open. My kettle is always on. My home is a safe space where anyone can discuss anything. Offload. Vent. Cry. Scream. Laugh.

When you've been there, you realise how precious health is. And how precious people are.

On a mooch

I'm not trained but I have counseled a fair few through life's traumas, just by virtue of being a father and a middle manager who has had to deal with a lot of weird shit. it gives you perspective, and of course it's always easier to address other people's issues, rather than your own."

It definitely does give you perspective. It’s very humbling and for me, I’ve learnt not to let the little things eat you up. I’ll admit, it definitely is easier dealing with other people’s issues than my own, at times it has been a welcome focus to concentrate on others and ignore mine.

By *ants cockWoman  over a year ago

lincoln

I’ve lost many friends to mental health. I also think a week. Would of been better. It has been really nice at work today. Little messages everywhere.

I'm not trained but I have counseled a fair few through life's traumas, just by virtue of being a father and a middle manager who has had to deal with a lot of weird shit. it gives you perspective, and of course it's always easier to address other people's issues, rather than your own.

It definitely does give you perspective. It’s very humbling and for me, I’ve learnt not to let the little things eat you up. I’ll admit, it definitely is easier dealing with other people’s issues than my own, at times it has been a welcome focus to concentrate on others and ignore mine. "

I'm not sure the ignoring your own is such a good thing though, even though I'm guilty of it too.

"

great post. It feels good to talk

» Add a new message to this topic