FabSwingers.com

FabSwingers.com > Forums > The Lounge > Acceptance

Acceptance

Jump to: Newest in thread

By *ea monkey OP   Man  over a year ago

Manchester (he/him)

I've been having a little chat regarding this, it's nature and the time that it takes.

Do you think that you are accepting of people, their attitudes and opinions? Colour, creed, gender assignation, sexuality, religion, physical abilities?

How do you think that things can be better?

Reply privately, Reply in forum +quote or View forums list

By (user no longer on site)  over a year ago

Haha .

Typed 2 essays and changed my mind!! .

I’ll bookmark and read with interest

Yes absolutely. But it is important to acknowledge that you don't have to be accepting of everything, it is how you conduct yourself in expressing your dislike of other peoples opinions etc.

It would be a boring world if we all thought along the same lines

Yes I think I'm pretty accepting of people obviously I have my grumpy days. I like to think I don't respond to someone differently just based on the above mentioned.

By *naswingdressWoman  over a year ago

Manchester (she/her)

Innate attributes yes, or if I'm not I consciously work to be better.

Deeply ingrained things that are difficult to change, mostly.

Attitudes and opinions... Meh. People are allowed to believe what they like and I respect their right to have and express those beliefs. But some of them are stupid and/or harmful and should be resisted. That's my right.

My way or the highway

By *nabelle21Woman  over a year ago

B38

"Yes absolutely. But it is important to acknowledge that you don't have to be accepting of everything, it is how you conduct yourself in expressing your dislike of other peoples opinions etc.

It would be a boring world if we all thought along the same lines"

Really like this

By *emini ManMan  over a year ago

There and to the left a bit

I take people as they come regardless of any physical criteria for sure - attitudes and personality is a little harder to be objective about and may vary from person to person depending on what those attitudes and personality traits are.

I accept that others may have a different opinion to mine, and am certainly not opinionated enough to think that my way is the right or perfect way and there is no other, and am open to having my opinion changed, but if it's something I feel strongly enough about I'll stand my ground and argue my case in a balanced way.

I also don't buy into the whole "some people are above (or even beneath) reproach" attitude that sometimes rears it's head around the forums - people are people and I treat them as I find them regardless of who they are.

I am accepting of others beliefs but only where that doesn’t encroach on the human rights and safety/happiness of anyone else.

-Mrs

By *ed-monkeyCouple  over a year ago

Hailsham

You can accept the differences with people, their opinions and beliefs etc, without having to agree with them. The same as you would expect another person to accept your stance.

There is a difference between accepting differences and having to bow to other's way of being.

The problem in this world is sometimes people not understanding what is truly meant by acceptance.

There is too much intolerance in this world

"Yes absolutely. But it is important to acknowledge that you don't have to be accepting of everything, it is how you conduct yourself in expressing your dislike of other peoples opinions etc.

It would be a boring world if we all thought along the same lines"

Hailsham

The life of Brian

Brian: you're all different

Horde: yes, we're all different

Old man: I'm not

"You can accept the differences with people, their opinions and beliefs etc, without having to agree with them. The same as you would expect another person to accept your stance.

There is a difference between accepting differences and having to bow to other's way of being.

The problem in this world is sometimes people not understanding what is truly meant by acceptance.

There is too much intolerance in this world "

Yes. This

Manchester (he/him)

"You can accept the differences with people, their opinions and beliefs etc, without having to agree with them. The same as you would expect another person to accept your stance.

I agree with you, acceptance and respect.

It's about recognising a person's autonomy and their right to their feelings. Even if they're opposed to yours

Manchester (he/him)

"My way or the highway "

I'm not sure if this was intended as a joke but being intractable and unmoving isn't a strength.

I like to think I respect people..though admittedly my interaction with other people is limited and quite confusing but my new self will never judge a person by cover..I m in and never have been in that position to feel I could judge as I m no oil painting and certainly not normal...I would accept anyone at my door no matter there dress style, they could be bloody naked for all I care..all I would ask of a person is mutual respect and honour..be true to yourself and I shall be true to you..make sense? Another great thread

"My way or the highway

I'm not sure if this was intended as a joke but being intractable and unmoving isn't a strength. "

yes it was a joke im not emperor yet but one day

By *icecouple561Couple  over a year ago
Forum Mod

East Sussex

"The life of Brian

Old man: I'm not"

. That sums it up nicely.

A person would need to be very passive to accept nearly everything, with little passion or self knowledge.

What can be done? Get people to stop being afraid of difference, start challenging inequality and unkindness and understand that humans are imperfect (even themselves) and it's ok to be that way.

I can accept certain differences but there are some that I can't although I wouldn't say so out loud.

By *ynecplCouple  over a year ago

Newcastle upon Tyne

Good old fab answer of yes and no. How people look, live their lives etc is no concern of mine unless it actually affects me then depending on my view I might be more or less tolerant.

By *ily WhiteWoman  over a year ago

?

I have a very "live and let live" attitude to life - people have different beliefs and values, and that is fine as long as they also accept my way of living and don't try to affect my way of life because it doesn't suit their ideals. Acceptance is a two way street

Hailsham

"The life of Brian

A person would need to be very passive to accept nearly everything, with little passion or self knowledge.

What can be done? Get people to stop being afraid of difference, start challenging inequality and unkindness and understand that humans are imperfect (even themselves) and it's ok to be that way.

I can accept certain differences but there are some that I can't although I wouldn't say so out loud."

I think the lines from the sketch are very clever and perhaps deeper than taken on face value, a little like acceptance and tolerance.

The horde all follow like sheep agreeing they are all different, even though they are acting the same. The old man, in saying that he is not different, IS it fact different ...

Or I'm reading too much into it ... oh well .. meh

I am accepting of peoples different attitudes and opinions, if we were all the same then the world would be a very boring places.

What I do have an issue is when that opinion/view/attitude manifests itself in bigotry, rudeness and just general fuckwittery.

"The life of Brian

I can accept certain differences but there are some that I can't although I wouldn't say so out loud."

Loved this

Personally I like to think I’m an open minded guy. As others have said, everyone is entitled to their own opinions. A person’s attitude is generally what determines whether I want to spend time with them.

As to how to improve things, I think society has come a long way but still has a lot more to go. Aggressive confrontation is an often understandable reaction to negative opinions and views but it rarely helps, more likely moving the unpalatable behaviour somewhere else, typically underground. Unfortunately patience and a willingness to engage and educate people seems to be the best way forward which is a slow process. It’s evolution really

Hailsham

"Personally I like to think I’m an open minded guy. As others have said, everyone is entitled to their own opinions. A person’s attitude is generally what determines whether I want to spend time with them.

As to how to improve things, I think society has come a long way but still has a lot more to go. Aggressive confrontation is an often understandable reaction to negative opinions and views but it rarely helps, more likely moving the unpalatable behaviour somewhere else, typically underground. Unfortunately patience and a willingness to engage and educate people seems to be the best way forward which is a slow process. It’s evolution really"

All these tolerant accepting simian!!

I think the monkeys have something here ...

By *icecouple561Couple  over a year ago
Forum Mod

East Sussex

"The life of Brian

I can accept certain differences but there are some that I can't although I wouldn't say so out loud.

I think the lines from the sketch are very clever and perhaps deeper than taken on face value, a little like acceptance and tolerance.

The horde all follow like sheep agreeing they are all different, even though they are acting the same. The old man, in saying that he is not different, IS it fact different ...

Or I'm reading too much into it ... oh well .. meh

"

Yes, that's exactly what it means.

It sums up nicely in my opinion, the arrogance of human beings in thinking that they aren't at base like everyone else.

"

All these tolerant accepting simian!!

I think the monkeys have something here ... "

We are the next step

Would be lovely if we had people who were more accepting of the differences of people but generally their is too much bigotry and hatred. I try to have a live and let live attitude. I accept my opinion might not be others. X

Manchester (he/him)

"The life of Brian

Very well put!

By *iamondsmiles.Woman  over a year ago

little house on the praire

yes unless they are radical extremists

Acceptance yes im accepting of anyone really, if theyre good with me im good with them, regaurdless of colour/race/gender.

Tolerance is something i dont have much of, certain 'types' i cant tolerate for long.

Attractiveness i like one group type if your talking from a racial/colour point of view and thats not racism thats just attractiveness.

Manchester (he/him)

"Personally I like to think I’m an open minded guy. As others have said, everyone is entitled to their own opinions. A person’s attitude is generally what determines whether I want to spend time with them.

As to how to improve things, I think society has come a long way but still has a lot more to go. Aggressive confrontation is an often understandable reaction to negative opinions and views but it rarely helps, more likely moving the unpalatable behaviour somewhere else, typically underground. Unfortunately patience and a willingness to engage and educate people seems to be the best way forward which is a slow process. It’s evolution really"

I agree, I think that respect, understanding and active listening achieve far more than aggression or entrenched arguments do. Changing minds one person at a time is the best way I find.

Chewing still on this. Also on a difference between actual acceptance and tolerance...

"Chewing still on this. Also on a difference between actual acceptance and tolerance... "

This is where I find myself, I'm generally live and let live, but then personal morals come into play...

It's about recognising a person's autonomy and their right to their feelings. Even if they're opposed to yours"

This.

I do think that if we were more open with people and our own experiences and hurdles we've had thrown at us then people would be more understanding and therefore more accepting as to why we behave certain ways. Many people don't like to show that vulnerability tho.

I can hand on heart say I can think someone is a cunt, but then if I know a bit about their backstory I can change my opinion coz I can see that they're doing their best rather than being a prick for the sake of it.

P

By *rumpyMcFuckNuggetMan  over a year ago

Den of Iniquity

Gender , Race , Beliefs , are unimportant.

What matters is not being an Asshole

It's about recognising a person's autonomy and their right to their feelings. Even if they're opposed to yours

This.

I do think that if we were more open with people and our own experiences and hurdles we've had thrown at us then people would be more understanding and therefore more accepting as to why we behave certain ways. Many people don't like to show that vulnerability tho.

I can hand on heart say I can think someone is a cunt, but then if I know a bit about their backstory I can change my opinion coz I can see that they're doing their best rather than being a prick for the sake of it.

P"

I like this.

Do as you would be done by.

I don't care about the sexual orientation, religious, cultural, political background of anyone as long as one respect me as a human being.

I'm jolly accepting of all

We all are made up of the same jolly stuff

How we act and behave to each other is more important than gender , sexuality or nationality

People are far less accepting than they like to make out.

If only you all practiced what you preached!

By *hilloutMan  over a year ago

All over the place! Northwesr, , Southwest

"Haha .

I’ll bookmark and read with interest "

Same!

"If only you all practiced what you preached! "

Not often I agree with you but I agree with you.

"Haha .

I’ll bookmark and read with interest

Same! "

"If only you all practiced what you preached! "

"If only you all practiced what you preached!

Not often I agree with you but I agree with you. "

You should agree more often. I'm always right...

Step too far?

» Add a new message to this topic