FabSwingers.com

FabSwingers.com > Forums > The Lounge > I really need to give up smoking!

I really need to give up smoking!

Jump to: Newest in thread

By *isaAndNicoleTrans OP   TV/TS  over a year ago

Southport / Ellesmere Port

I really do. Smoke far too much and need to stop. I don't want to start vaping as that's just swapping one thing for another.

Has anyone else stopped and how did you do it?

Reply privately, Reply in forum +quote or View forums list

By *ing CobraaMan  over a year ago

Kings Lynn

I found switching to a vape eventually helped me quit x

"I found switching to a vape eventually helped me quit x"

But do you still vape?

By *opsy RogersWoman  over a year ago

London

I just stopped and for good on my third attempt. I just couldn’t justify being an educated skint mother and a smoker. Daft.

By *ilbearniMan  over a year ago

peninsula

"I really do. Smoke far too much and need to stop. I don't want to start vaping as that's just swapping one thing for another.

Has anyone else stopped and how did you do it? "

I got on to a scheme run by my local Pharmacy, got patches free, took my time reducing the nicotine levels but got there in end. Had to meet the pharmacist every couple of weeks for a chat and update. Worked for me.

You should ask your local health centre,GP etc as I didn't realise the scheme existed

"I really do. Smoke far too much and need to stop. I don't want to start vaping as that's just swapping one thing for another.

I got on to a scheme run by my local Pharmacy, got patches free, took my time reducing the nicotine levels but got there in end. Had to meet the pharmacist every couple of weeks for a chat and update. Worked for me.

You should ask your local health centre,GP etc as I didn't realise the scheme existed"

Ah, no, I didn't realise this existed. That's really good advice and thanks. I'll check it out on Monday. Thanks ever so much

"I just stopped and for good on my third attempt. I just couldn’t justify being an educated skint mother and a smoker. Daft. "

I agree, it's hideously expensive but mainly I want to do it for my health.

By (user no longer on site)  over a year ago

I stopped cold turkey in 2008 after being diagnosed with Malignant Hypertension and spending 5 days in hospital with the medical profession trying to work out why a healthy 44 year old would have such high blood pressure.

By *rAitchMan  over a year ago

Diagonally Parked in a Parallel Universe

A mate of mine used to smoke 60 per day. One day he announced he was giving up, and just stopped. No patches, no gradual reduction. Went from 60 to 0 overnight. That was about 10 years ago and he's never smoked since. He didn't even suffer cold turkey!

By *xperimentalistMan  over a year ago

East Yorkshire

Patches don't stick to me for some reason!

Will need a way soon, said I would stop when £10 a pack, but I said the same at 3, 4, 5 etc

"A mate of mine used to smoke 60 per day. One day he announced he was giving up, and just stopped. No patches, no gradual reduction. Went from 60 to 0 overnight. That was about 10 years ago and he's never smoked since. He didn't even suffer cold turkey!"

By *nabelle21Woman  over a year ago

B38

Im in your boat

3 yrs ago while on holiday in Corfu i had a heart attack. I was smoking more than 40 a day and i weighed over 25 stone.

I stopped smoking straight away and over the course of time i lost weight i now weigh 17st 9lbs

It was easier with a scare like that

Good luck OP, it is one if the hardest things you will do, but when you do it you will feel so good

By *uxom redCouple  over a year ago

Shrewsbury

"I just stopped and for good on my third attempt. I just couldn’t justify being an educated skint mother and a smoker. Daft.

I agree, it's hideously expensive but mainly I want to do it for my health. "

If you really want too it's the first 3 days that are the hardest.

It's when the nicotine is leaving your body.

Then you have to find things to fill your mouth or hands x

Vaping doesn't have the 100 harmful chemicals that tobbacco does. Started vaping a month ago and I can walk up a hill now without passing out!!

By *icecouple561Couple  over a year ago
Forum Mod

East Sussex

we stopped over 30 years ago and we just stopped dead. It was a little difficult but not impossible,

I still dream that I'm smoking and I sometimes really enjoy the smell of cigarette smoke but that's as far as it goes

Nicotine is more addictive than heroin!! Cold turkey is tough.

"I just stopped and for good on my third attempt. I just couldn’t justify being an educated skint mother and a smoker. Daft.

Then you have to find things to fill your mouth or hands x "

I won't have a problem with the second bit

"3 yrs ago while on holiday in Corfu i had a heart attack. I was smoking more than 40 a day and i weighed over 25 stone.

I stopped smoking straight away and over the course of time i lost weight i now weigh 17st 9lbs

Good luck OP, it is one if the hardest things you will do, but when you do it you will feel so good"

Wow, so scary but glad you are OK now and well done on the weight loss. That has actually now made me more determined than ever. Great answer thanks x

By *sGivesWoodWoman  over a year ago

ST. AUSTELL, CORNWALL

I've managed it successfully, I quit the roll ups and vaped, after a year of gradually cutting down nicotine strength I'm now no longer vaping either.

"3 yrs ago while on holiday in Corfu i had a heart attack. I was smoking more than 40 a day and i weighed over 25 stone.

Good luck OP, it is one if the hardest things you will do, but when you do it you will feel so good

Wow, so scary but glad you are OK now and well done on the weight loss. That has actually now made me more determined than ever. Great answer thanks x "

I am rooting for you x

By *nabelle21Woman  over a year ago

B38

Good luck OP, it is one if the hardest things you will do, but when you do it you will feel so good"

fair play and good luck to you x

fair play and good luck to you x"

To be fair i am more proud of the weight loss than stopping smoking. But the combination of both have made me feel so much better x

By *apiomanMan  over a year ago

Shipley

Then you have to find things to fill your mouth or hands x

I won't have a problem with the second bit "

To be fair i am more proud of the weight loss than stopping smoking. But the combination of both have made me feel so much better x"

One of the things that has always put me off is that people say you gain weight after giving up smoking because you eat more but this doesn't sound like it.

Shipley

Good luck with it OP. I was on vape. Now I’m on patches, which works well. My downfall has generally been going out and drinking, particularly beer. I have a very low dose vape for those nights.

"Good luck with it OP. I was on vape. Now I’m on patches, which works well. My downfall has generally been going out and drinking, particularly beer. I have a very low dose vape for those nights. "

Thanks Sapioman, that's the bit that worries me most. I don't really drink a lot but when I do go out I do like my gin and tonics and a ciggy goes hand in hand. Sounds like a vape might be a good idea after all

By *utterflyandArtificeCouple  over a year ago

TROWBRIDGE

Use a crutch like vaping or gum.

Just stop and go through withdrawal.

Change your lifestyle, don't go where you used to when you smoked.

If you have a fag with coffee, stop coffee too.

Reward yourself for everyday you dont light up.

Put a couple of quid each day in a jar and see how much you are saving.

Every time you get an urge for a smoke have a glass of water the urge will pass in the time it takes to get a glass.

You need to find out what works for you. Any permutation of the above may work for you, you may need to discover your own method.

Good luck

Axx

To be fair i am more proud of the weight loss than stopping smoking. But the combination of both have made me feel so much better x

One of the things that has always put me off is that people say you gain weight after giving up smoking because you eat more but this doesn't sound like it. "

Obviously it is what you eat. Boring as it sounds i always had a bag of carrots close by lol x

"Use a crutch like vaping or gum.

Every time you get an urge for a smoke have a glass of water the urge will pass in the time it takes to get a glass.

You need to find out what works for you. Any permutation of the above may work for you, you may need to discover your own method.

Good luck

Axx

"

You've absolutely hit the nail on the head and great advice and answers some of my dreads.

My other addiction is coffee and giving that up fills me with more fear than giving up smoking. And I do like a ciggy with it especially in the mornings.

And the lifestyle thing too. I go to lots of swingers clubs and chat and talk to friends, old and new, in the smoking areas. In fact, without sounding coarse, after a bit of play that's when I want a cig most.

Based on your answer and others above it does sound like a vape is the best solution x

By *hechapMan  over a year ago

Derry

"Patches don't stick to me for some reason!

Will need a way soon, said I would stop when £10 a pack, but I said the same at 3, 4, 5 etc "

I also heard people say when they reached £1 per packet they would stop but they are still smoking 25 or 30 years later and paying £10 per packet.

If you really want to quit so bad you will be fine going cold Turkey. Sure you'll feel shit for a few days but that will soon pass, yeah it can make your teeth hurt, taste go a bit funny, put on weight, be more sensitive to allergies & germs but these are all temporary.

Vaping works for a lot of people but can become addictive in itself, if you like it that's fine its much less harmful than smoking and a lot cheaper

The stop smoking sessions at the pharmacy or from gp are probably your best bet if you feel you're going to struggle, the 1 to 1 chat can be great to get some of the stress out too

There are also some great apps to help motivate you

Whatever option you take perseverance is key. If you really want it you can do it

Shipley

"Good luck with it OP. I was on vape. Now I’m on patches, which works well. My downfall has generally been going out and drinking, particularly beer. I have a very low dose vape for those nights.

Thanks Sapioman, that's the bit that worries me most. I don't really drink a lot but when I do go out I do like my gin and tonics and a ciggy goes hand in hand. Sounds like a vape might be a good idea after all "

I see it as part of the solution not the complete solution.

ST. AUSTELL, CORNWALL

"Good luck with it OP. I was on vape. Now I’m on patches, which works well. My downfall has generally been going out and drinking, particularly beer. I have a very low dose vape for those nights.

Thanks Sapioman, that's the bit that worries me most. I don't really drink a lot but when I do go out I do like my gin and tonics and a ciggy goes hand in hand. Sounds like a vape might be a good idea after all "

Actually, I rarely drink now either, the two seem to go hand in hand.

One important mental difference when I stopped was I was determined to stop and never smoke again. Before that I always viewed it as giving up something I enjoyed and felt I was always missing something. When I stopped I focused on being healthy enough to see my son grow up and be there for him.

ST. AUSTELL, CORNWALL

[Removed by poster at 05/10/19 23:50:00]

I am 10 weeks smoke free, like you I didn't want to vape. I went to the smoking clinic at the Drs and got some minty lozenges. These seemed to do the trick, suck one when you fancy a smoke and by the time you bloody finish one it is about half an hour later and the urge has gone. Having my CO2 levels checked every week by the sweetest nurse really helped too, it stoped me cheating as I didn't want to let her down.

Good luck op

Me to!

By *emini ManMan  over a year ago

There and to the left a bit

After trying most things, including the Quit Nurse at my GPs I finally kicked cigarettes into touch almost 3 and a half years ago by switching to vape - now the downside of that is it's swapping one addiction for another but the upside is it's cheaper and healthier (or at least hasn't been proved to have harmful effects yet if you steer clear of the cheap and nasty juices).

Whilst the Quit Nurse at the GP was very good and did see me quit for the period of time I was seeing her, you are only *allowed* so many visits and then that's it - so it was very easy to go back to them once the visits stopped and I hit a stressful period.

Im in your boat "

So am I.

Vaping was the only thing that helped me stop

By *moothman2000Man  over a year ago

Leicestershire

"I found switching to a vape eventually helped me quit xMe to!"

And me - started on a high nicotine level fluid and then switched to lower strengths until I was on zero.

When you get that far then there's no real point in continuing...

I just imagined my mum finding out and the health of me and my daughter and that was enough to quit such an awful habit.

Then give up

Just do it

What's stopping you ?

If you really want to quit, grab your cigarettes and throw them in the bin and stop.

Only thing stopping you doing that is YOU

Dont try and "wean yourself " off

Not gonna happen

Just stop right now, go for it.

Dont even think about another cigarette

Just believe you can do it and you will

Thats all I done

20 years now and never looked back

Just get into a mindset

Probably easier now from when I quit

I gave up about 2 years ago. Was the best thing I’d accomplished.

Don’t know how I did it but woke up one day and just gave up. Never touched it since.

Stinky expensive habit that’s frowned upon and the smell is revolting. My sense of smell and taste have returned

By *ackDMissMorganCouple  over a year ago

Halifax

I have been stopped almost 14 years

Did it by reading Alan carr stop smoking book,really helped me change the way I thought about it.

Good luck,best thing I ever did

Miss x

By *T_LEECouple (MM)  over a year ago

near you

I went cold turkey but pre planned it cutting down gradually. Give up drink for a few months too as that will be your Achilles hill.

Once you have given up , if you’re out and fancy a cigarette go home instead. Once you have conquered 6 months your there .

I stopped 2 years champix but i started again

By *asmeenTV/TS  over a year ago

STOKE ON TRENT

"I stopped 2 years champix but i started again "
why?

I tryed most things nothing worked then started vaping 3 months taker stopped vaping that was over 3 years ago and still free from cigs

Same for me.

I vaped for a couple of months and then got rid of it.

Stopping smoking was one of the best things I've ever done for myself.

Do it- it's not as difficult as you think it is x

Don't vape. www.bbc.co.uk/news/amp/world-us-canada-49929276

"US vaping illness deaths rise to 18 with 1,000 cases reported."

Thanks everybody. Just the fact that so many other people have done it gives me hope. I'm off to the Gatehouse today so there's no way I can stop today but I've set tomorrow as my giving up day. I'm going to beat this, I can be a determined bitch sometimes haha x

"Thanks everybody. Just the fact that so many other people have done it gives me hope. I'm off to the Gatehouse today so there's no way I can stop today but I've set tomorrow as my giving up day. I'm going to beat this, I can be a determined bitch sometimes haha x "

Is it the last time you'll ever go to the Gatehouse?

Don't do it tomorrow, tomorrow never comes! Have your last one tonight. Be a bitch. You can do it. X

Remove yourself from the social smoking situations.

Dont associate having a fag with time out or a break from work or chilling out.It doesn’t relax you .

I just stopped with will power and within a few weeks the smell of ashtrays and other smokers was off putting.I thought about it for years afterwards and used to watch other smokers .

Be strong.

"Thanks everybody. Just the fact that so many other people have done it gives me hope. I'm off to the Gatehouse today so there's no way I can stop today but I've set tomorrow as my giving up day. I'm going to beat this, I can be a determined bitch sometimes haha x

Is it the last time you'll ever go to the Gatehouse?

Don't do it tomorrow, tomorrow never comes! Have your last one tonight. Be a bitch. You can do it. X"

Noooooooo I'll never give up the gatehouse but, yes, tonight I will have my last ciggy. Tomorrow I'll stop!

By *tella HeelsTV/TS  over a year ago

west here ford shire

I think if you saw what you have to go through if you get cancer you would give up now!

My friend got the nicotine patch and from smoking half a deck or more. He smokes 3-5 now. Sometimes he says he wants to smoke because he has a habit of smoking. He's improved alot already. And feels confident that he can quit. He also tried the nicotine gum but he said that was trash.

By *lik and PaulCouple  over a year ago

Flagrante

The difference is between needing to and wanting to....i didn't feel I needed to give up but I wanted to so just didn't buy any more cigarettes. It doesn't take long for the nicotine to leave the system so the cravings go quite quickly....probably best avoid being around smokers for a while too. Good luck.

By *opsy RogersWoman  over a year ago

London

"Nicotine is more addictive than heroin!! Cold turkey is tough."

It really isn’t, that’s the excuse people tell themselves to justify not succeeding.

My sister said for years she is a vile bitch without cigarettes but better vile than dead, she has incurable lung cancer and is suffering.

By *utterflyandArtificeCouple  over a year ago

TROWBRIDGE

"Use a crutch like vaping or gum.

Good luck

Axx

You've absolutely hit the nail on the head and great advice and answers some of my dreads.

My other addiction is coffee and giving that up fills me with more fear than giving up smoking. And I do like a ciggy with it especially in the mornings.

And the lifestyle thing too. I go to lots of swingers clubs and chat and talk to friends, old and new, in the smoking areas. In fact, without sounding coarse, after a bit of play that's when I want a cig most.

Based on your answer and others above it does sound like a vape is the best solution x "

I stopped one addiction and started another; I restarted rowing in an ergo in the gym. No weaning or run down I just stopped.

Never vaped so couldn't comment.

But good luck, if you do this you can do anything

X

By *adame 2SwordsWoman  over a year ago

Victoria, London

go to a reputable hypn-otysist

I smoke about 20 a day and deffo need to give up. Cant afford it anymore

OK day one of my non smoking adventure. Had my last one last night and got a nicotine patch on. I might put another 5 on lol. I've a feeling I'm going to be very irritable and grouchy today so best I avoid the forums

Thanks to everybody for your advice, it really helped me to make up my mind xx

"OK day one of my non smoking adventure. Had my last one last night and got a nicotine patch on. I might put another 5 on lol. I've a feeling I'm going to be very irritable and grouchy today so best I avoid the forums

Thanks to everybody for your advice, it really helped me to make up my mind xx "

I wish you strength in your conviction

By *tew008Man  over a year ago

edinburgh

Vapes, never smoked but at least when you walk past a smoking area it smells like a sweet shop now and not the arse end of tar pit.

By *il FiskMan  over a year ago

sefton

"OK day one of my non smoking adventure. Had my last one last night and got a nicotine patch on. I might put another 5 on lol. I've a feeling I'm going to be very irritable and grouchy today so best I avoid the forums

Thanks to everybody for your advice, it really helped me to make up my mind xx "

By *ruebameMan  over a year ago

from the womb and tryout to get back

I stopped using champix tablets been off them 8 years now good luck op

By *ndreaNWCDTV/TS  over a year ago

Kirkham

I was a 60 a day Marlboro smoker, and I stopped 20 years ago, but.. I went onto the chewing gum..

I’m now still totally hooked on the chewing gum, only on the 2mg ones now, but terribly addicted..when I smoked, if I ran out of fags, or went out and forgot them I could cope for a few hours.. if I run out of chewing gum or forget to take it with me when I go out, then I can’t cope at all.. have to go and buy some, or even go back home to get some.. tried all sorts to get off the gum.. tried changing to non nicotine gum, like wrigleys or stimerol, but it just doesn’t work..

I have met quite a few people who are in the same position... IMHO the gum manufacturers need to make a zero nicotine version, that tastes the same and has the same texture, that will help people kick the addiction..

[Removed by poster at 08/10/19 03:52:26]

Good luck hope you stop

By *asmeenTV/TS  over a year ago

STOKE ON TRENT

I smoke haven't stopped though

» Add a new message to this topic