FabSwingers.com

FabSwingers.com > Forums > The Lounge > Athletics world championship

Athletics world championship

Jump to: Newest in thread

By *yn drwg OP   Man  over a year ago

Camarthen

I love the sport but find it sad and frustrating to see empty seats in the stadium, I was in London 3 years ago and it was unbelievable atmosphere on the Saturday night. Doesn't do justice for the athletes.

Reply privately, Reply in forum +quote or View forums list

By (user no longer on site)  over a year ago

That light show for the 100 was amazing

"That light show for the 100 was amazing"

I thought that too

But the empty stadium raises the question why om earth was it awarded to a country with no interest in the sport (I guess monet talks).

And as for a marathon ran at midnight in 32 degrees temperature, with 75% humidity and a temperature that felt more like 40 degrees which saw a third of the field pull out and over half the finishers seek medical attention, that's dangerously stupid

"That light show for the 100 was amazing

I thought that too

But the empty stadium raises the question why om earth was it awarded to a country with no interest in the sport (I guess monet talks).

And as for a marathon ran at midnight in 32 degrees temperature, with 75% humidity and a temperature that felt more like 40 degrees which saw a third of the field pull out and over half the finishers seek medical attention, that's dangerously stupid "

I wouldn’t class running non stop for 26.2 miles in any sort of conditions at any time of the day a stroke of genius

I thought that too

And as for a marathon ran at midnight in 32 degrees temperature, with 75% humidity and a temperature that felt more like 40 degrees which saw a third of the field pull out and over half the finishers seek medical attention, that's dangerously stupid

I wouldn’t class running non stop for 26.2 miles in any sort of conditions at any time of the day a stroke of genius "

In this day and age, running a marathon is quite an achievement, but it certainly isnt held in awe like it was in the past.

People can achieve a lot more than they think.

By *anejohnkent6263Couple  over a year ago

canterbury

Oh you mean the drug world championships....a weightlifter we know says ....if u don't drug you don't compete

I thought that too

And as for a marathon ran at midnight in 32 degrees temperature, with 75% humidity and a temperature that felt more like 40 degrees which saw a third of the field pull out and over half the finishers seek medical attention, that's dangerously stupid "

you aint wrong qatar world cup taught us that it will be a disaster

By *os19Man  over a year ago

Edmonton

"I love the sport but find it sad and frustrating to see empty seats in the stadium, I was in London 3 years ago and it was unbelievable atmosphere on the Saturday night. Doesn't do justice for the athletes."
. Unfortunately money talks as much as I like the track events without a personality like Usain Bolt the crowds just aren’t going to come.

I thought that too

I wouldn’t class running non stop for 26.2 miles in any sort of conditions at any time of the day a stroke of genius

In this day and age, running a marathon is quite an achievement, but it certainly isnt held in awe like it was in the past.

People can achieve a lot more than they think."

In all seriousness any endurance event whether it’s a marathon, ultra, Ironman or some of the longer tough mudders is an achievement

It’s a fact the mind will give up a long, long way before the body will, it’s incredible what the human body can endure.

By *ssex_tomMan  over a year ago

Chelmsford

People not there because they don't feel safe imo

Chelmsford

A guy wins 100m in 9.76 but missed three drugs tests.

Edmonton

"A guy wins 100m in 9.76 but missed three drugs tests."
. He should have been banned however because of a technicality ( first test should have been back dated to 01/04/18 ) he gets away with it.

By *amesB66Man  over a year ago

St Peter Port

"A guy wins 100m in 9.76 but missed three drugs tests."

He didn't miss 3 drugs tests, but he did fail to update his where abouts..subtle, but genuine difference.

The tests he has taken have all been clear.

By *heffmMan  over a year ago

sheffield

Qatar is a great sporting nation with massive achievements, I'm sure they will win the world cup next year too

By *ultry SuccubusTV/TS  over a year ago

London&Dublin

I think athletics has lost some of its charm compared back to the 70s, 80s and 90s.

I guess there are many other (newer) sports nowadays.

For 100m female, I think Shelly Ann Price will get the gold. Hopefully Dina Asher Smith can get the silver.

Edmonton

"I think athletics has lost some of its charm compared back to the 70s, 80s and 90s.

I guess there are many other (newer) sports nowadays.

For 100m female, I think Shelly Ann Price will get the gold. Hopefully Dina Asher Smith can get the silver.

"

. I agree Shelly-Ann Fraser-Pryce will win and hopefully Dina Asher Smith will get a medal

By *yn drwg OP   Man  over a year ago

Camarthen

Any athlete who trains all they're lives deserves a full house to experience a top performance I just find it doesn't give them any justice, don't even start on the marathon and long distance events!!!

"People not there because they don't feel safe imo"

Why's that then?

London&Dublin

"People not there because they don't feel safe imo

Why's that then? "

Yes. I don't understand that either.

Weather maybe? Too hot?

I really enjoy going to athletic meets as a spectator but in honesty without some of the characters it can be very boring.

Is it because nobody cares?

Most people I know not even aware it’s on!

Chelmsford

Athletics is generally not well attended. Most international athletes are not well known in their own countries let alone others.

"Athletics is generally not well attended. Most international athletes are not well known in their own countries let alone others. "

Yes but you said people aren't there because they don't feel safe? What did you mean?

Chelmsford

Michael Johnson said he was hardly known in the USA.

Chelmsford

The sport has been rife with cheating for years.. sadly..

By *owithflow321Man  over a year ago

Molesey

Let’s get Dina on Fab

Chelmsford

Just seen the empty stadium pics.. jaw dropping

Good chance of Warholm getting world record tonight

I thought that too

People can achieve a lot more than they think.

In all seriousness any endurance event whether it’s a marathon, ultra, Ironman or some of the longer tough mudders is an achievement

It’s a fact the mind will give up a long, long way before the body will, it’s incredible what the human body can endure. "

I agree, in my experience of competing in and supporting endurance events, the vast majority of people who drop out do so because they've lost it between the ears, not in the legs.

"Let’s get Dina on Fab "

Why?

Loving the ladies high jump,

[Removed by poster at 02/10/19 17:42:24]

Championship hotting up , DAS & KT go ladies

By *abioMan  over a year ago

Newcastle and Gateshead

"I love the sport but find it sad and frustrating to see empty seats in the stadium, I was in London 3 years ago and it was unbelievable atmosphere on the Saturday night. Doesn't do justice for the athletes."

i think this will do a lot of things...

they will have it in places where they know the locals know about the sport (the only time there has been any atmosphere are when the ethiopians have had their runners in the long distance events)

also.... you know this is going to speed up the return of the championships to europe and london....

nexts are in oregon which is the spiritual home of US athletics so it will draw there.....

Good to see the shot put lass smash a pb hope she can do that in the final iv got to say the momentum has really shifted in athletics women are dominating what the men are doing as medal chances and pbs go

"I love the sport but find it sad and frustrating to see empty seats in the stadium, I was in London 3 years ago and it was unbelievable atmosphere on the Saturday night. Doesn't do justice for the athletes.

i think this will do a lot of things...

they will have it in places where they know the locals know about the sport (the only time there has been any atmosphere are when the ethiopians have had their runners in the long distance events)

also.... you know this is going to speed up the return of the championships to europe and london....

nexts are in oregon which is the spiritual home of US athletics so it will draw there..... "

Definitely will be greater audiences

Also I love Michael Johnson’s voice

Newcastle and Gateshead

"Also I love Michael Johnson’s voice "

have to say i did fear a little after he had his stroke.... but have to have he looks well and think his commentary is brilliant....

anyway... dina is on in 90... i think she wins and breaks her own british record tonight...

"Also I love Michael Johnson’s voice

have to say i did fear a little after he had his stroke.... but have to have he looks well and think his commentary is brilliant....

anyway... dina is on in 90... i think she wins and breaks her own british record tonight..."

Yes definitely glad he’s back & looking in good health . Thompson is doing wonders too, hope she keeps her head

Chelmsford

Gabby gets on my wick

London&Dublin

"

anyway... dina is on in 90... i think she wins and breaks her own british record tonight..."

Lucky Shaune Miller Uibo not competing in 200. Would be difficult for Dina to win if Miller Uibo is in this event.

Congrats to Dina, pity for Gemili (good performance though).

Edmonton

Well done Dina team GB first gold medal.KJT has a chance off adding another in the women’s hepthalon today she has a lead but Thiam is European , World and Olympic champion and it will be a close thing I think KJT may have to settle for silver.Over the next few days Muir in the women’s 1500 metres and both men’s and women’s 4 x 100 metres relays teams have good chances of winning medals not sure about them been gold though.

Chelmsford

She usually implodes.. hope not this time. She is a nice kid but her javelin is often very poor ..

By *rumpyMcFuckNuggetMan  over a year ago

Den of Iniquity

Well done to Dina though , superb race from start to finish and it was never in doubt .

Seems a lovely lass too , well done

By *anejohnkent6263Couple  over a year ago

canterbury

Some of the woman have bigger bollocks than me ...muscles like Arnie...and voiced like Brian blessed....what vitamins they on

Edmonton

In a earlier posting this morning I felt that KJT would end up with the silver medal however after the first two events today with just the 800 metres to go she only has to finish ahead of Thiam and the gold is hers.On personal bests she is 8 seconds quicker than Thiam so as long as she finishes ahead oh Thiam the gold medal is hers.

Newcastle and Gateshead

"

anyway... dina is on in 90... i think she wins and breaks her own british record tonight...

Lucky Shaune Miller Uibo not competing in 200. Would be difficult for Dina to win if Miller Uibo is in this event.

Congrats to Dina, pity for Gemili (good performance though)."

I think they have said the tokyo programme is going to be set up that people can double up in the 100 and 200..... but not the 200 and 400... and shaunae miller is a much better 400 runner than a 200 runner....

it will be interesting to see what the likes of miller and alyson felix do...

anyway.... so chuffed for KJT... its about time she put 7 events together and she has so much talent.....

By *andyladMan  over a year ago

Hereorthere

The polish shot putter Guba is cute

Newcastle and Gateshead

"The polish shot putter Guba is cute "

I don't think a shot putter has been describe as "cute" ever.....

high jumpers... sure!!!!

i was in lust with blanka vlasic forever...

By *andyladMan  over a year ago

Hereorthere

"The polish shot putter Guba is cute

I don't think a shot putter has been describe as "cute" ever.....

high jumpers... sure!!!!

i was in lust with blanka vlasic forever... "

Newcastle and Gateshead

wow at that 400 meters...

thats basically the fastest run in 25 years... thats basically the modern day world record

Edmonton

"wow at that 400 meters...

thats basically the fastest run in 25 years... thats basically the modern day world record"

. I agree it was a amazing sprint.As a teenager in the early 1980’s I remember Marita Koch setting a 400 metres time that is still a world record and Jarmila Kratochvílová has the second ever fastest time both ladies under 48 seconds.Jarmila Kratochvílová also holds the 800 metres record.However both are rumoured to have used performances improvement drugs and I remember Jarmila and Fatima Whitbread and at first thinking they were men.

London&Dublin

"wow at that 400 meters...

thats basically the fastest run in 25 years... thats basically the modern day world record. I agree it was a amazing sprint.As a teenager in the early 1980’s I remember Marita Koch setting a 400 metres time that is still a world record and Jarmila Kratochvílová has the second ever fastest time both ladies under 48 seconds.Jarmila Kratochvílová also holds the 800 metres record.However both are rumoured to have used performances improvement drugs and I remember Jarmila and Fatima Whitbread and at first thinking they were men."

Yup..love that 400m.

Sad that Kevin Mayer dropped out though (decathlon) but glad that Kaul won.

Can't wait for the 4x100.

Newcastle and Gateshead

been a really good night..... the first night of big time sell out atmosphere..

barshim winning the high jump is such a fantastic top off....

» Add a new message to this topic