FabSwingers.com

FabSwingers.com > Forums > The Lounge > Hidden profiles

Hidden profiles

Jump to: Newest in thread

By *ealitybites OP   Man  over a year ago

Belfast

I've noticed in recent weeks a number of contributers have hidden their profile.

This makes it impossible to interact with them as we can't see who or where they are.

Most of us have hidden our profiles when taking a break or getting away from the madness but

regardless of whether they say something profound, sensible or controversial it means they aren't taking a full part in the discussion and therefore invalidates their contribution.

Thoughts?

Reply privately, Reply in forum +quote or View forums list

By *SAchickWoman  over a year ago

Hillside desolate

I don't see how it invalidates their contribution. You can still message a hidden profile. You shouldn't though as they clearly don't want to be contacted.

By *atisfying jackMan  over a year ago

Hereford

I dont think it matters if they've hidden their profile but still contributing on the forums.

Just because you cant see their profile page doesn't invalidate anything they chose to say in here

In context Billybobs profile is not hidden, although all of it is a complete fabrication....but because you can see it does his point become more valid than marysue (who's profile is hidden?

By (user no longer on site)  over a year ago

I sometimes hide my profile because I'm in the mood to just mess about on the forum and can't be bothered with other messages. Can't see why it matters whether people can see me to just have a chat on general threads.

Belfast

"I don't see how it invalidates their contribution. You can still message a hidden profile. You shouldn't though as they clearly don't want to be contacted. "

I don't mean to message them but since joining the forums I've seen so many giving advice to others that the best way to get to know people on fab is to contribute to the forums and let others get a feeling for your personality rather than rely on a profile alone.

If someone comments is it not polite to look at their profile before replying rather than just responding blindly?

We tell newbies to tailor messages to the individual and not copy and paste so surely the same applies in forum responses?

Women are inundated with messages as it is.

If I'm saying something particularly personal about myself on the Forum, my inbox can temporarily fill up.

So you can imagine how theirs gets if they do the same.

Blocking everyone from being able to contact you directly takes nothing away from contributing to the Forum.

Their location is irrelevant, because they don't want to meet you.

Read, understand and respect profiles. Don't message someone if you don't fit what they're looking for. It's not rocket science.

By *hoenixAdAstraWoman  over a year ago

Hiding in the shadows

I often check out posters profiles, I'm nosey.

Yes, some are hidden, does it bother me? No. They obviously have their reasons.

I hide mine quite regularly, mainly when I'm away visiting my family.

So someone could see something I wrote several days earlier, check me out & find I'm hidden, but if they looked 24hrs later I'd be back public.

Belfast

"Women are inundated with messages as it is.

If I'm saying something particularly personal about myself on the Forum, my inbox can temporarily fill up.

Blocking everyone from being able to contact you directly takes nothing away from contributing to the Forum.

Read, understand and respect profiles. Don't message someone if you don't fit what they're looking for. It's not rocket science."

Maybe my point was lost in translation.

I've no intention of messaging anyone. I don't use the forums for that reason and anyone I have messaged can confirm I am always respectful.

My point is not limited to women either and I fully understand the point being made about how many messages most women receive.

I can give an example of what I mean.

When on fab with a different profile last year I contributed to a forum thread about what turned you off when reading a profile.

I got 2 direct responses to my comments in the forum and not by pm.

Both were extremely negative and in my opinion non pc as they referred to my nationality and took a stereotypical view of the Irish in general.

Both were from hidden profiles, one male and one couple and although I'd didn't spit my dummy out it would have been easier to respond if I could see their profiles and base a response on where they were and why they felt they had to make those comments.

By *icecouple561Couple  over a year ago
Forum Mod

East Sussex

It's no different to an exchange of ideas by phone or email.

By *SAchickWoman  over a year ago

Hillside desolate

"I don't see how it invalidates their contribution. You can still message a hidden profile. You shouldn't though as they clearly don't want to be contacted.

I don't mean to message them but since joining the forums I've seen so many giving advice to others that the best way to get to know people on fab is to contribute to the forums and let others get a feeling for your personality rather than rely on a profile alone.

If someone comments is it not polite to look at their profile before replying rather than just responding blindly?

We tell newbies to tailor messages to the individual and not copy and paste so surely the same applies in forum responses?"

I can't really see how in the majority of cases their profile would affect how you might respond to them in the forum? They're hidden because they most likely don't want to get to know new people at the moment, so that tells you all you need to know surely.

Read, understand and respect profiles. Don't message someone if you don't fit what they're looking for. It's not rocket science.

I've no intention of messaging anyone. I don't use the forums for that reason and anyone I have messaged can confirm I am always respectful.

My point is not limited to women either and I fully understand the point being made about how many messages most women receive.

When on fab with a different profile last year I contributed to a forum thread about what turned you off when reading a profile.

Both were extremely negative and in my opinion non pc as they referred to my nationality and took a stereotypical view of the Irish in general.

Both were from hidden profiles, one male and one couple and although I'd didn't spit my dummy out it would have been easier to respond if I could see their profiles and base a response on where they were and why they felt they had to make those comments. "

Oh.. so you mean there are some who go hidden in order to deliberately antagonize other users?

Whole different kettle of fish entirely.

So you were being attacked/mocked because of your Nationality. Report it immediately.

Sometimes using the report button feels a bit snitchy to me.. I'm big enough and ugly enough to defend myself, as I imagine you are also.

What we need to bear in mind is that not everyone else is. There may be some peculiar preferences and turn offs based on racist thoughts and views. On the whole though, Fab is not a racist place and doesn't support it.

So if you're ever treated like that again, report it. If not for your sake, for someone elses.

I've no real issue with racially based banter, provided I know the person doing it, isn't racist. That we're just winding each other up, playing up and down to national stereotypes.

If I've the slightest inclination they believe the jokes, it's a whole other ballgame and things just got dark as fuck.

Sorry for confusion on my part.

Belfast

"I don't see how it invalidates their contribution. You can still message a hidden profile. You shouldn't though as they clearly don't want to be contacted.

We tell newbies to tailor messages to the individual and not copy and paste so surely the same applies in forum responses?

I can't really see how in the majority of cases their profile would affect how you might respond to them in the forum? They're hidden because they most likely don't want to get to know new people at the moment, so that tells you all you need to know surely. "

I'm happy to hold my hands up and admit that there may be lots of reasons for people to hide their profile and the comments so far are all valid.

My original post was based purely on my own experience but not everyone is the same and that's a good thing

Belfast

Both were from hidden profiles, one male and one couple and although I'd didn't spit my dummy out it would have been easier to respond if I could see their profiles and base a response on where they were and why they felt they had to make those comments.

Oh.. so you mean there are some who go hidden in order to deliberately antagonize other users?

So you were being attacked/mocked because of your Nationality. Report it immediately.

Sometimes using the report button feels a bit snitchy to me.. I'm big enough and ugly enough to defend myself, as I imagine you are also.

What we need to bear in mind is that not everyone else is. There may be some peculiar preferences and turn offs based on racist thoughts and views. On the whole though, Fab is not a racist place and doesn't support it.

So if you're ever treated like that again, report it. If not for your sake, for someone elses.

I've no real issue with racially based banter, provided I know the person doing it, isn't racist. That we're just winding each other up, playing up and down to national stereotypes.

If I've the slightest inclination they believe the jokes, it's a whole other ballgame and things just got dark as fuck.

Sorry for confusion on my part. "

No worries GK. My original post wasn't that clear.

I'm not one for reporting anything. I've thicker skin than that. The comments aimed at me could well have been light-hearted and not meant to offend but because I couldn't see who was commenting I couldn't respond appropriately.

By *ranny-CrumpetWoman  over a year ago

King's Crustacean

You can interact with them by responding on the forum where they left their opinions / ideas.

Hiding a profile doesn't invalidate what they are saying in here.

You can also private message them from the forum ........ tho that does my head in and I know others don't like it either.

What happens in the forum should be responded to IN the forum. ( says I )

King's Crustacean

Come to think of it - comments in the forum show where the person is from.

Like my comments say Merseyside.

I usually block them then its an equal footing.

I'm not one for reporting anything. I've thicker skin than that. The comments aimed at me could well have been light-hearted and not meant to offend but because I couldn't see who was commenting I couldn't respond appropriately."

I'm thick skinned too, doesnt mean we can't do our bit to help the moderators moderate. It's a tough job and they cant be everywhere at once.

Like someone said above me, you can always block. Anyone gets on my tits too much and I do exactly that.

King's Crustacean

Both were from hidden profiles, one male and one couple and although I'd didn't spit my dummy out it would have been easier to respond if I could see their profiles and base a response on where they were and why they felt they had to make those comments. "

Why would you want to read their profile to respond to them ? You could address what was said in the forum or by p.m. The only reason for reading someone's bio would be to respond in a like manner ( to my mind )

You could have also reported them if the comments were very un p.c. but a HIDDEN profile has no bearing on anything ...... at all.

Why would you want to read their profile to respond to them ? You could address what was said in the forum or by p.m. The only reason for reading someone's bio would be to respond in a like manner ( to my mind )

You could have also reported them if the comments were very un p.c. but a HIDDEN profile has no bearing on anything ...... at all. "

I was thinking of you as I read his first post

King's Crustacean

I can't recall what mine says. I think I'll take a peek

Forum Mod

East Sussex

I'm not one for reporting anything. I've thicker skin than that. The comments aimed at me could well have been light-hearted and not meant to offend but because I couldn't see who was commenting I couldn't respond appropriately."

I understand that the thread you're talking about was about profiles but I can't see why you couldn't have responded to the points the hidden profiles were making.

King's Crustacean

Oh It said .... this member has hidden their profile

By *a LunaWoman  over a year ago

South

Some days are just shit and you don’t want to fully participate in sexual chit chat. Yet you still want to chat shit on the forums.

Those who are interested in you will either message you regardless (from a forum post) or will bide their time.

We hide our profile when my son comes to stay.

He's of age where for all I know he could be on the site.

Hiding our profile when he's here doesn't invalidate our thoughts or feelings, it means we don't want to show up on who's near... you just never know so take steps to make sure it doesn't happen.

P

"Oh It said .... this member has hidden their profile "

No! It says something about Clown Farts now

I think this works well for the ladies as sometimes they just want informal chat on here without the barrage of messages from men

King's Crustacean

And so the messages come ...... they come ....... unending they come ....

Okay I had two.

King's Crustacean

Aksherly it's three but one is a duplicate

Belfast

I'm not one for reporting anything. I've thicker skin than that. The comments aimed at me could well have been light-hearted and not meant to offend but because I couldn't see who was commenting I couldn't respond appropriately.

I understand that the thread you're talking about was about profiles but I can't see why you couldn't have responded to the points the hidden profiles were making. "

I did respond in the forum but as I said above I had no way of knowing if the comments were meant tongue in cheek or were more serious so I had to give them the benefit of the doubt and give a muted response.

If I may expand on this thread. When I first joined fab 2 years ago I posted on a forum thread about something or other. It was a different profile so unfortunately I can't go back and check what was said.

Another fabber told me that I could never be taken seriously on the forums if my profile was hidden.

His point was taken up by others who all agreed and were very vocal about hidden profiles on the forum were unwelcome.

It's funny how things change in a couple of years.

"Aksherly it's three but one is a duplicate"
pmsl

I understand that the thread you're talking about was about profiles but I can't see why you couldn't have responded to the points the hidden profiles were making.

I did respond in the forum but as I said above I had no way of knowing if the comments were meant tongue in cheek or were more serious so I had to give them the benefit of the doubt and give a muted response.

If I may expand on this thread. When I first joined fab 2 years ago I posted on a forum thread about something or other. It was a different profile so unfortunately I can't go back and check what was said.

Another fabber told me that I could never be taken seriously on the forums if my profile was hidden.

His point was taken up by others who all agreed and were very vocal about hidden profiles on the forum were unwelcome.

It's funny how things change in a couple of years. "

I think if you're ALWAYS hidden and haven't made your presence known as a person as such and then there will be a sense of "who are they? what's their agenda?"

I've known people make second profiles to be able to spy on others etc so it's understandable people may be wary.

P

By *ryst In IsoldeWoman  over a year ago

your imagination

"I often check out posters profiles, I'm nosey.

Yes, some are hidden, does it bother me? No. They obviously have their reasons.

I hide mine quite regularly, mainly when I'm away visiting my family.

So someone could see something I wrote several days earlier, check me out & find I'm hidden, but if they looked 24hrs later I'd be back public.

"

This ^^^

Forum Mod

East Sussex

It's funny how things change in a couple of years. "

You might find that the people who think hidden profiles are unwelcome on the forum will be along in a minute .

I rarely look at the profiles I'm interacting with on the forum so to me it doesn't matter if they're hidden or not. I do think though that some people will adjust their response according to who they're replying too more obviously in some cases than others...

By *rightonsteveMan  over a year ago

Brighton - even Hove!

Fab provides the facility to hide a profile so it must be acceptable. Accept that and respect people’s decisions. It’s not anyone’s business to ask why.

"I've noticed in recent weeks a number of contributers have hidden their profile.

This makes it impossible to interact with them as we can't see who or where they are.

Most of us have hidden our profiles when taking a break or getting away from the madness but

regardless of whether they say something profound, sensible or controversial it means they aren't taking a full part in the discussion and therefore invalidates their contribution.

Thoughts?"

I don't understand why you think they can't take a full part in the discussion. In a pub if we were chatting you'd know I'm female but that's about it really. Also approximate height and a guess at my elderly status.

I'm probably weird but I only look at profiles if that's what the thread is about. I just respond to what they said. I can agree on thread A but then disagree with them on thread B. Doesn't mean I hate them.... or want to fuck them. It's just a discussion.

If there was a way to open my profile without the barrage of messages then I would

Some people know what I look like from face pic threads

Belfast

"I've noticed in recent weeks a number of contributers have hidden their profile.

Thoughts?

I don't understand why you think they can't take a full part in the discussion. In a pub if we were chatting you'd know I'm female but that's about it really. Also approximate height and a guess at my elderly status.

I'm probably weird but I only look at profiles if that's what the thread is about. I just respond to what they said. I can agree on thread A but then disagree with them on thread B. Doesn't mean I hate them.... or want to fuck them. It's just a discussion."

As you've volunteered yourself Mavis I'll try to explain the thought process.

If I was chatting to you in the pub I wouldn't know anything about you apart from those details you mentioned.

However, I could base the tone of my conversation with you on your response including facial expressions, sense of humour or general body language.

If I was to say something offensive, using those same characteristics you could determine if I was serious or just taking the piss.

If someone on the forums cracks a joke and I find it funny I'll look at their profile to learn a little more about them before throwing something back at them. That applies to male and female profiles so it has nothing to do with wanting to message them or meet them.

If they say something offensive or racist I'll do the same just to ensure that I'm not being offended just for the sake of it. Maybe something in their profile will justify what they've just said or will reinforce their stupidity and I'll avoid all conversation.

A hidden profile in a group chat is the equivalent of the bloke in the pub who keeps shouting across the room while you and I are chatting but won't own up to what is being said or admit it was him.

Like others have said there are lots of reasons to hide a profile but in doing so in a forum thread you are skewing the conversation and it isn't a level playing field.

My original thought on this matter wasn't actually about those contributing to a thread but actually when an op has a hidden profile. They create a new post and unless someone knows them or has chatted to them previously they remain hidden and unknown to most and therefore the question must be how genuine or relevant is the theme of their post?

By *adyinred696969Couple  over a year ago

Brecon

I dont see why someone having a hidden profile should affect how you respond to their forum posts?

Thoughts?

I'm probably weird but I only look at profiles if that's what the thread is about. I just respond to what they said. I can agree on thread A but then disagree with them on thread B. Doesn't mean I hate them.... or want to fuck them. It's just a discussion.

If I was chatting to you in the pub I wouldn't know anything about you apart from those details you mentioned.

However, I could base the tone of my conversation with you on your response including facial expressions, sense of humour or general body language.

If I was to say something offensive, using those same characteristics you could determine if I was serious or just taking the piss.

If someone on the forums cracks a joke and I find it funny I'll look at their profile to learn a little more about them before throwing something back at them. That applies to male and female profiles so it has nothing to do with wanting to message them or meet them.

If they say something offensive or racist I'll do the same just to ensure that I'm not being offended just for the sake of it. Maybe something in their profile will justify what they've just said or will reinforce their stupidity and I'll avoid all conversation.

A hidden profile in a group chat is the equivalent of the bloke in the pub who keeps shouting across the room while you and I are chatting but won't own up to what is being said or admit it was him.

Like others have said there are lots of reasons to hide a profile but in doing so in a forum thread you are skewing the conversation and it isn't a level playing field.

My original thought on this matter wasn't actually about those contributing to a thread but actually when an op has a hidden profile. They create a new post and unless someone knows them or has chatted to them previously they remain hidden and unknown to most and therefore the question must be how genuine or relevant is the theme of their post?"

I agree about the body language etc in person. Many people I've met say I'm not what they expected.

I start threads- sometimes I'm hidden and sometimes not.

I ask about things I've read in the news or issues friends are having. I find the people on here are great with varied advice.

I don't post personal issues because I don't have any. I'd hope people would still offer advice or discuss my OP though, even though it's not about me. So my profile is irrelevant in those cases.

I've unhidden anyway. Don't know if it makes any difference to your perception of me.

Belfast

Thoughts?

My original thought on this matter wasn't actually about those contributing to a thread but actually when an op has a hidden profile. They create a new post and unless someone knows them or has chatted to them previously they remain hidden and unknown to most and therefore the question must be how genuine or relevant is the theme of their post?

I agree about the body language etc in person. Many people I've met say I'm not what they expected.

I ask about things I've read in the news or issues friends are having. I find the people on here are great with varied advice.

I don't post personal issues because I don't have any. I'd hope people would still offer advice or discuss my OP though, even though it's not about me. So my profile is irrelevant in those cases.

I've unhidden anyway. Don't know if it makes any difference to your perception of me. "

It does indeed. I can tell you are a lady of many talents with a sparkling personality and are very photogenic. ??

Thoughts?

I've unhidden anyway. Don't know if it makes any difference to your perception of me.

It does indeed. I can tell you are a lady of many talents with a sparkling personality and are very photogenic. ??"

Your cheque is in the post. X

Belfast

Thoughts?

It does indeed. I can tell you are a lady of many talents with a sparkling personality and are very photogenic. ??

Your cheque is in the post. X"

I'll frame it. X

King's Crustacean

A hidden profile is NOTHING like a bloke shouting across the pub but not admitting to it.

If I post something then everyone KNOWS I posted it cos my name is on the post ......

There's no need to know my weight, height and place of birth to know I said it.

That doesn't make sense.

Belfast

"A hidden profile is NOTHING like a bloke shouting across the pub but not admitting to it.

If I post something then everyone KNOWS I posted it cos my name is on the post ......

That doesn't make sense."

You are right Granny Crumpet and I apologise for any offence. I'll take that back.

By *rightonsteveMan  over a year ago

Brighton - even Hove!

"A hidden profile is NOTHING like a bloke shouting across the pub but not admitting to it.

That doesn't make sense."

actually, how much DO you weigh?

King's Crustacean

That doesn't make sense. actually, how much DO you weigh? "

Steven ..... tut ..Slightly more than I did at birth.

Just coz someone is taking part in the forums it doesn't mean they want private messages from it (unless it's a thread that requires like face pic Friday etc), so any messages should be done through the forum.

Half the time I cba to post in some threads coz it will mean messages in my inbox. So I guess some will hide to avoid that.

By *tingly ByronMan  over a year ago

In a town Fab forgot

That doesn't make sense. actually, how much DO you weigh?

Steven ..... tut ..Slightly more than I did at birth. "

You were seven and a half stone at birth?

Thoughts?"

My profile is mainly hidden as I only show it when I have the time and the inclination, but it most certainly doesn't detract from my fab experience at all, whether in the forums, chatrooms or messaging friends. It does mean that I reply to nearly all my messages and don't get bothered by ignorant messages ... so it's a win win situation

Pisses me off when they send a friend invite and they are hidden

By *parkle1974Woman  over a year ago

Leeds

Mines is hidden at the moment but still like to interact in the forums

By *nabelle21Woman  over a year ago

B38

It doesn't bother me as it's what they are putting out here that I would interact with them about.

I don't necessarily need to see a profile to get a feel for a person..their input says it

King's Crustacean

That doesn't make sense. actually, how much DO you weigh?

Steven ..... tut ..Slightly more than I did at birth.

You were seven and a half stone at birth? "

I was a bonny lass that's true

mine is hidden for legal reasons.

» Add a new message to this topic