FabSwingers.com

FabSwingers.com > Forums > The Lounge > heres one for the people who work in education

heres one for the people who work in education

Jump to: Newest in thread

By *ablo minibar123 OP   Woman  over a year ago

Is it really that bad if a child is late for school by a few minutes each day?

Reply privately, Reply in forum +quote or View forums list

By (user no longer on site)  over a year ago

"Is it really that bad if a child is late for school by a few minutes each day?"

Yes

Not least because it teaches the child its ok to pitch up when you feel like it

By *icecouple561Couple  over a year ago
Forum Mod

East Sussex

Yes it is.

The other kids and parents think they can be late every day too.

The kid can't understand why it isn't ok to be a few minutes late to work when they start.

The class gets disrupted every day by the late comer.

The teacher either can't start what they're doing, has to repeat it or the kid misses the first few minutes of every day. Although that's usually registration.

It sets that individual child apart from the others, they miss the important (in my opinion) social time that precedes the start of the day.

If it's genuinely unavoidable an arrangement can usually be reached though and no child ever failed academically solely due to continual lateness of a couple of minutes.

By *he Queen of TartsWoman  over a year ago
Forum Mod

My Own Little World

Yes because it can turn into a habit. Being a couple of minutes late to school every day is one thing, being late everyday to your job is another.

In my opinion it isn't acceptable, but right now it does seem unavoidable, I would hope there would be understanding on the schools part, just wondered if there was any need to feel as shitty about it as I do.

Forum Mod

East Sussex

"In my opinion it isn't acceptable, but right now it does seem unavoidable, I would hope there would be understanding on the schools part, just wondered if there was any need to feel as shitty about it as I do."

Go and talk to the school.

"In my opinion it isn't acceptable, but right now it does seem unavoidable, I would hope there would be understanding on the schools part, just wondered if there was any need to feel as shitty about it as I do.

"

Oh I do intend to if I can't get things altered

By *gnitemybodyWoman  over a year ago

Onestepoutofthedoor

Yes of course,it's not teaching the child that they need to be on time for certain thing's. When they one day arrive at their workplace would it be ok for them to arrive a few minutes late also there too.

"Yes of course,it's not teaching the child that they need to be on time for certain thing's. When they one day arrive at their workplace would it be ok for them to arrive a few minutes late also there too."
I'm not disagreeing with you

Forum Mod

East Sussex

"In my opinion it isn't acceptable, but right now it does seem unavoidable, I would hope there would be understanding on the schools part, just wondered if there was any need to feel as shitty about it as I do.

Oh I do intend to if I can't get things altered"

Sooner rather than later even if it's temporary. It will be on your child's record that they're persistently late,even if it is by minutes and eventually flag up a cause for concern. Much better to let them know

By *hoenixAdAstraWoman  over a year ago

Hiding in the shadows

"Is it really that bad if a child is late for school by a few minutes each day?"

As a former teacher, yes it is.

Think folks have already listed the main reasons

But, there are factors that can't be avoided if it's everyday that the school should allow for & adjust too.

Another child being dropped at a different school. Being collected by school transport at a set time, or running late.

Reliant on public transport running on time or at a time that isn't practical.

It's not always black & white, if the parent is experiencing problem's beyond their control then the school needs to support them

By *he Queen of TartsWoman  over a year ago
Forum Mod

My Own Little World

"In my opinion it isn't acceptable, but right now it does seem unavoidable, I would hope there would be understanding on the schools part, just wondered if there was any need to feel as shitty about it as I do."

You can try talking to the school, but in my experience they aren't usually very sympathetic.

When I had baby no. 2 I was useless at getting out of the door in time to get my eldest to school, but there was a woman who's kids went to the same school lived further up the road, she offered to take mine in and I would collect them all after school and drop her kids at her door. Is this an option for you?

There was a report on BBC breakfast about this subject this morning, maybe find the article, you might find it useful reading x

Yes it is a transport issue so not really something I can control too much sadly, or at least I'm trying to. So even a few minutes late would cause red flags ?

"There was a report on BBC breakfast about this subject this morning, maybe find the article, you might find it useful reading x"

I'll have to look it up

Forum Mod

East Sussex

[Removed by poster at 19/09/19 11:03:49]

By *wist my nipplesCouple  over a year ago

North East Scotland, mostly

Honestly, go and speak to the school. You sound like you are trying your best here and they are people too - they should see that. Don't beat yourself up about things outwith your control

Mrs TMN x

By *hoenixAdAstraWoman  over a year ago

Hiding in the shadows

"Yes it is a transport issue so not really something I can control too much sadly, or at least I'm trying to. So even a few minutes late would cause red flags ?"

yes the child's late arrival will be recorded, but if the school is aware of a genuine problem the reason will be noted.

Forum Mod

East Sussex

"Yes it is a transport issue so not really something I can control too much sadly, or at least I'm trying to. So even a few minutes late would cause red flags ?"

It will eventually yes. Go in or phone sooner rather than later.

Thanks

By *rwhowhatwherewhyMan  over a year ago

Aylesbury

When I was in education I prefered kids to be absent, made my job easier.

If the child is late and misses the register it is marked as absent for the morning and reflects in the school’s absenteeism record. Apart from all the reasons above.

» Add a new message to this topic