FabSwingers.com

FabSwingers.com > Forums > The Lounge > suggested donations

suggested donations

Jump to: Newest in thread

By *ittle_brat_evie!! OP   Woman  over a year ago

evesham

This thought occured to me whilst watching sport relief last night. I didn't want to post it then as didn't want to take away from all the good they hope to do

But.....

Everytime they were asking people to donate by text there was a predetermined amount of a tenner. As far as I could tell there was no way of donating a lesser amount?

Does this put you off donating to causes such as this, comic relief or children in need?

I did donate when John bishop was doing his mega triathalon but even then it was a fiver per text.

Should charities just be grateful for whatever you can spare or is it ok for them to dictate what you donate?

Reply privately, Reply in forum +quote or View forums list

By (user no longer on site)  over a year ago

Most charities are grateful for whatever you can give. I sponsor a child and I also have a jar for pennies which I collect over a year and then send them off to help schools in Africa. It's usually only about £10 over the year but it's £10 they need.

I think for the telly it is just more practical to set an amount as they are dealing with so many thousands of calls.

By *ranny-CrumpetWoman  over a year ago

King's Crustacean

It's a good marketing strategy for them. You know your own budget and they'd take a penny as it all counts.

I don't allow myself to be blackmailed and it's good to see you won't allow their emotive appeals to make you overspend.

By *ugby 123Couple  over a year ago
Forum Mod

O o O oo

I thought the same thing....I think people shouldn't be brow beaten into giving a set amount, surely any amount is enough.

By *ovedupstillCouple  over a year ago

mullinwire

as long as they keep focussing on the hardship of children in these appeals (as they know most of us go gooey over the sight of a poorly child than an adult) then i will refuse to donate as i will NOT be emotionally blackmailed by anyone.

not to mention the fact that most families over there go into double figures of offspring (ok the mortality rate is high) but it would be lower if they spread their reqources around 2 children instead of 8

By *am sampsonMan  over a year ago

cwmbran

"as long as they keep focussing on the hardship of children in these appeals (as they know most of us go gooey over the sight of a poorly child than an adult) then i will refuse to donate as i will NOT be emotionally blackmailed by anyone.

not to mention the fact that most families over there go into double figures of offspring (ok the mortality rate is high) but it would be lower if they spread their reqources around 2 children instead of 8"

They have large families because, unlike in the west where other peoples children will support you in your old age via the tax system ie pensions and social secutity, they need several surviving children of their own to support them. Until this chain of events is broken things won't change.

"as long as they keep focussing on the hardship of children in these appeals (as they know most of us go gooey over the sight of a poorly child than an adult) then i will refuse to donate as i will NOT be emotionally blackmailed by anyone.

not to mention the fact that most families over there go into double figures of offspring (ok the mortality rate is high) but it would be lower if they spread their reqources around 2 children instead of 8"

There are also programmes focussing on birth control and safe sex as aids is a great problem in some countries.

By *iamondsmiles.Woman  over a year ago

little house on the praire

I give a lot to charity, mainly buy giving and buying my clothes from charity shops but in other ways as well, BUT i wont be dictated to how much i can give.

I was going to send all my books to an appeal and when i went to do it they also wanted me to donate 10p per book and i was already going to send around 100 books. So i didnt send them

tell you what, if you were in charge of organising these campagns you would 10 to one adopt the same strategy. Especially as children can not help themselves.

"I give a lot to charity, mainly buy giving and buying my clothes from charity shops but in other ways as well, BUT i wont be dictated to how much i can give.

I was going to send all my books to an appeal and when i went to do it they also wanted me to donate 10p per book and i was already going to send around 100 books. So i didnt send them"

wow that's a bit off when your the one donating the books. Good on you not letting them pressure you!

I sponsor 2 kids in Africa and support British charities. I'm so fed up of the charity collectors in the local mall that won't let you walk past and follow you. They expect you to sign up to monthly donations and give them your bank details

"I give a lot to charity, mainly buy giving and buying my clothes from charity shops but in other ways as well, BUT i wont be dictated to how much i can give.

I was going to send all my books to an appeal and when i went to do it they also wanted me to donate 10p per book and i was already going to send around 100 books. So i didnt send them

wow that's a bit off when your the one donating the books. Good on you not letting them pressure you!

I sponsor 2 kids in Africa and support British charities. I'm so fed up of the charity collectors in the local mall that won't let you walk past and follow you. They expect you to sign up to monthly donations and give them your bank details "

The group with whome I sponsor my child do not do this. They will give you packs on request to pass to your friends or to leave in the staff room at work. This is a much better way I think.

By *iamondsmiles.Woman  over a year ago

little house on the praire

I actually prefer giving stuff than donating money.

When callum was younger the beginning of every december we used to sort all his toys out and he would choose which ones he wanted to donate to the local charity, obviously i was with him but he was the one that handed them over and every year we got a really nice letter thanking him and telling him what they had done with his toys

"I actually prefer giving stuff than donating money.

When callum was younger the beginning of every december we used to sort all his toys out and he would choose which ones he wanted to donate to the local charity, obviously i was with him but he was the one that handed them over and every year we got a really nice letter thanking him and telling him what they had done with his toys"

Been into charity shops since me mam trained me as a nipper. Helps the charity and is also eco-friendly. Have not worked in a charity shop myself but my mam used to and many of my friends have and do. They say it is also a great thing to do and socially useful too.

It's the same with the Great North Run. If you're lucky enough to secure your own place then it matters not how much or how little money you raise for your chosen charity, but if you get a gauranteed charity place (which you still have to pay for, albeit a few quid cheaper), the charity dictates the minimum amount that you have to raise.

I appreciate that they have to cover their costs but to tell me that I have to raise a minimum of £350 is plain wrong. I'm not sure what outlay the charity has in bulk buying the places but given that I pay 90% of the fee anyway and all I get is a running vest and sponsor form, I fail to see how it can get anywhere close to the figures that they tell people to raise.

There are too many charities telling people how much they want instead of asking how much they'd like to donate

"It's the same with the Great North Run. If you're lucky enough to secure your own place then it matters not how much or how little money you raise for your chosen charity, but if you get a gauranteed charity place (which you still have to pay for, albeit a few quid cheaper), the charity dictates the minimum amount that you have to raise.

I appreciate that they have to cover their costs but to tell me that I have to raise a minimum of £350 is plain wrong. I'm not sure what outlay the charity has in bulk buying the places but given that I pay 90% of the fee anyway and all I get is a running vest and sponsor form, I fail to see how it can get anywhere close to the figures that they tell people to raise.

There are too many charities telling people how much they want instead of asking how much they'd like to donate "

More power to the humble ones that will accept the pennies then. (Hopefully).

By *uckscouple2007Couple  over a year ago

Bucks

did notice that the text option wasnt first aired until after about 10pm .. maybe aimed at the after pub crowd as other text lines in the run up we saw were for either lower fixed amounts or you could select the amount you donated

I pay enough taxes to provide assistance to people who need it, even if it's in foreign aid. I object to being held to ransom half a dozen Friday nights per year for a bunch of celebs to make me feel guilty enough to part with even more dosh. Kudos to John Bishop though, I watched his triathlon and see him in a new light indeed.

By *uckscouple2007Couple  over a year ago

Bucks

" Kudos to John Bishop though, I watched his triathlon and see him in a new light indeed."

but that didnt encourage you to impart with any of your post tax earnings Wishy, seeing as he went thru all that for that very purpose?

» Add a new message to this topic