FabSwingers.com

FabSwingers.com > Forums > The Lounge > Shawshank - Did you know?

Shawshank - Did you know?

Jump to: Newest in thread

By (user no longer on site) OP     over a year ago

* Frank Darabont, who directed Shawshank, also directed The Green Mile, starring Tom Hanks, who was originally invited to play the part of Andy Dufresne in Shawshank but declined due to scheduling conflicts for Forrest Gump.

* Kevin Costner also turned down the role of Dufresne, also due to scheduling conflicts with Waterworld, and is on record as bitterly regretting it.

* The opera song that Andy Dufresne plays over the loud speakers is "Canzonetta sull'aria" from Wolfgang Amadeus Mozart's "Marriage of Figaro".

* Red (Morgan Freeman) says he has no idea what the ladies are singing about. Actually, they're composing a letter to the husband of one of them inviting him to an assignation with the other in order to expose his infidelity.

* Clancy Brown, who plays Captain Hadley in this film, played another character named Captain Hadley in The Guardian.

* The film rights for The Shawshank Redemption novella were sold by Stephen King for ONE DOLLAR.

Reply privately, Reply in forum +quote or View forums list

By *ezebelWoman  over a year ago

North of The Wall - youll need your vest

Nope but I do now.

Still havent seen it all the way through though...

"Nope but I do now.

Still havent seen it all the way through though..."

WHHHHHAAAAT! How could you start watching it and not finish watching it in the same sitting! Sacre Bleu!!

By (user no longer on site)  over a year ago

"n.

* The film rights for The Shawshank Redemption novella were sold by Stephen King for ONE DOLLAR."

I hope he passed it on to the descendants of Alexandre Dumas Re: The Count of Monte Cristo

By *ezebelWoman  over a year ago

North of The Wall - youll need your vest

"Nope but I do now.

Still havent seen it all the way through though...

WHHHHHAAAAT! How could you start watching it and not finish watching it in the same sitting! Sacre Bleu!! "

Ive definitely seen the end, think I might have seen the beginning, but Im not sure about the middle bit....

Did you know that, before you start watching 'The Shawshank Redemtion' with a friend, if you each fill a sheet of A4 sized paper with every possible prison film 'cliche' you can think of no matter how wanky they might seem, you can actually enjoy the experience and have a 100% score by the end of it

Most of the scripts that get wrote from a King novel are sold for a $1

"Most of the scripts that get wrote from a King novel are sold for a $1"

To aspiring filmmakers only.

By *etillanteWoman  over a year ago

Never seen either Shawshank or the Green Mile

"Never seen either Shawshank or the Green Mile"

The Green Mile is an excellent film, but then I'm a huge fan of Tom Hanks so I'm a little bit biased lol

By *ushroom7Man  over a year ago

Bradford

I do now.

Loved the Green mile! ...not cried that much at film...ever actually

By *etillanteWoman  over a year ago

"Never seen either Shawshank or the Green Mile

The Green Mile is an excellent film, but then I'm a huge fan of Tom Hanks so I'm a little bit biased lol"

It's one of those films that everyone says you should see, so I;m sort of holding out lol

By *mumaWoman  over a year ago

Livingston

Shawshank is one of the best films ever!!

By *ellhatterMan  over a year ago

slough

yep, great film; love the spoof clip in family guy too lol.

By *appyTrancerMan  over a year ago

Bristol

Every day is a school day! Great pub quiz tidbits!

HT

a fantastic film i watch at least once a year, which reminds me,.... bi bi got a film to watch xx

By *waymanMan  over a year ago

newcastle

Every film has its fans and its critics - I thought Shawshank was shallow sentimental claptrap that was no more engaging than the prison scene in the Blues Brothers.

Mind you, I first saw it on a plane to the US next to an American who was convinced it was the greatest film ever...

"Shawshank is one of the best films ever!!"

Amen Sista... Yer on ya way to redemption...

"Shawshank is one of the best films ever!!"

You only have to look on the 'Best film ever' threads to see Shawshank is on most people's all time list of top films.

"Shawshank is one of the best films ever!!

You only have to look on the 'Best film ever' threads to see Shawshank is on most people's all time list of top films. "

I agree…cracking film

"* Frank Darabont, who directed Shawshank, also directed The Green Mile, starring Tom Hanks, who was originally invited to play the part of Andy Dufresne in Shawshank but declined due to scheduling conflicts for Forrest Gump.

* Kevin Costner also turned down the role of Dufresne, also due to scheduling conflicts with Waterworld, and is on record as bitterly regretting it.

* The opera song that Andy Dufresne plays over the loud speakers is "Canzonetta sull'aria" from Wolfgang Amadeus Mozart's "Marriage of Figaro".

* Red (Morgan Freeman) says he has no idea what the ladies are singing about. Actually, they're composing a letter to the husband of one of them inviting him to an assignation with the other in order to expose his infidelity.

* Clancy Brown, who plays Captain Hadley in this film, played another character named Captain Hadley in The Guardian.

* The film rights for The Shawshank Redemption novella were sold by Stephen King for ONE DOLLAR."

Cheers Wishy, I'm watching it again later, one of my faves along with the great escape and the goonies

By *eavy Metal BallzMan  over a year ago

Birmingham

"* Frank Darabont, who directed Shawshank, also directed The Green Mile, starring Tom Hanks, who was originally invited to play the part of Andy Dufresne in Shawshank but declined due to scheduling conflicts for Forrest Gump.

* The film rights for The Shawshank Redemption novella were sold by Stephen King for ONE DOLLAR.

Cheers Wishy, I'm watching it again later, one of my faves along with the great escape and the goonies "

'Hey you guys'

By *emmefataleWoman  over a year ago

dirtybigbadsgirlville

yes

It is incredibly popular... I was genuinely surprised at how often it got mentioned in the other fave films thread, but we all can't like the same stuff hey

... I liked Tim Robbins in Jacobs Ladder best

Shawshank is considered a flop in box office takings, but the most rented out video ever.

its an Ok film, same as the green mile

for my more likes of the supernatural or science fiction green miles great

but they will never be in my all time faves..in fact,

fields of dreams captured me more than any of the mentioned two

A slow burner eh?

By *emmefataleWoman  over a year ago

dirtybigbadsgirlville

"its an Ok film, same as the green mile

for my more likes of the supernatural or science fiction green miles great

but they will never be in my all time faves..in fact,

fields of dreams captured me more than any of the mentioned two"

good movie!

"Loved the Green mile! ...not cried that much at film...ever actually "

I love both these films but the title of ultimate tearjerker in my eyes is an animated film called "When the wind blows", perhaps slightly dated now as the whole nuclear war possibility with the USSR is now a bygone age, but don't mind admitting that I bawled my eyes out at it...

By *emima_puddlefuckCouple  over a year ago

hexham

"It is incredibly popular... I was genuinely surprised at how often it got mentioned in the other fave films thread, but we all can't like the same stuff hey

... I liked Tim Robbins in Jacobs Ladder best "

Shawshanks ok but incredibly predictable...i like a film that surprises me. But for many films are sheer escapism, so i can see why films like shawshank do well.

Fantastic film. Am sure its now been made into a show in London and my daughter went to see it

"Most of the scripts that get wrote from a King novel are sold for a $1"

yeah some might think wow he cost himself so much money then, but how many copies of the book will he constantly sell now!

By *ath-N-DelCouple  over a year ago

Glasgow area

Im more surprised at Shawshank and Gump being in same year!!

By *ath-N-DelCouple  over a year ago

Glasgow area

"Loved the Green mile! ...not cried that much at film...ever actually

I love both these films but the title of ultimate tearjerker in my eyes is an animated film called "When the wind blows", perhaps slightly dated now as the whole nuclear war possibility with the USSR is now a bygone age, but don't mind admitting that I bawled my eyes out at it..."

I read that (well, it had a lot of pictures in it) lol...

Soo sad

"Im more surprised at Shawshank and Gump being in same year!!

"

1994 was a very good movie year. As well as Shawshank and Gump, the following films were also released in 1994:

Pulp Fiction

Lion King

Speed

Dumb & Dumber

Interview with a Vampire

Legends of the Fall

..and Forrest Gump swept the board at the Oscars, against all those contenders. Bit of a fix there methinks, as Forrest Gump included almost every major US event in the mid-20th Century.

By *lubPartyPeepsCouple  over a year ago

London

I was lucky in the sense that I saw this film before all the hype.

In Nottingham they had a preview screening of it some six months ahead. No one had ever heard of it so there wasn't a massive rush for tickets. All I knew was it had two of my favourite actors in it, (Tim Robbins, Morgan Freeman) and then when I saw it realised there were 4 more that I loved as well. (James Whitmoore, Will Sadler, Bob Gunton, Clancy Brown)

So that was good enough for me. I don't remember the movie being in any way predictable. I figured he was probably going to escape in the end but that didn't really matter because the story was about so much more than that. Rich with interesting characters and great lines of dailogue, which is one of the reasons it means so many things to so many people.

Superb film and one you need to watch all the way through with out your mobile phone on.

I remember seeing Brown as a really nasty piece of work in the 80s film 'Bad Boys' (No connection to the Will Smith effort) which also starred a very young Sean Penn, its worth checking out, be warned its very raw though.

"

1994 was a very good movie year. As well as Shawshank and Gump, the following films were also released in 1994:

Pulp Fiction

Lion King

Speed

Dumb & Dumber

Interview with a Vampire

Legends of the Fall"

I tried to watch the Gump, but when he started running and the callipers fell off his legs I fell off the couch laughing...

I loved 'Pulp Fiction', and 'Interview' was sumptious!

'Speed' is probably on of the best high concept films I've seen, no pretentions just lots of speed lol!

Not seen 'Legends'

1994 also gave us 'Leon' loved that

'Heavenly Creatures' 'Clerks' 'Chunking Express' 'Spanking the Monkey' 'Exotica' 'Three colours: Red' and 'Natural Born Killers' they were all stand out bloody brilliant to me

Another Shawshank fact.

Andy and Red's opening chat in the prison yard - in which Red is pitching a baseball - took 9 hours to shoot. Morgan Freeman pitched that baseball for the entire 9 hours without a word of complaint. He showed up for work the next day with his arm in a sling.

By *hooter McGavinMan  over a year ago

Exeter

its hard to believe it bombed so bad at the box office for how great a film it is, i have no idea how many time i have seen it but i know i will never tire of watching it, morgan freeman was amazing in it

so many great lines, i like when andy asks him why he is called red and he answers maybe cause im irish, in the origioal book though red was a small red haired white irish guy.

another great bit is reds parole speach

1967 Parole Hearings Man: Ellis Boyd Redding, your files say you've served 40 years of a life sentence. Do you feel you've been rehabilitated?

Red: Rehabilitated? Well, now let me see. You know, I don't have any idea what that means.

1967 Parole Hearings Man: Well, it means that you're ready to rejoin society...

Red: I know what *you* think it means, sonny. To me it's just a made up word. A politician's word, so young fellas like yourself can wear a suit and a tie, and have a job. What do you really want to know? Am I sorry for what I did?

1967 Parole Hearings Man: Well, are you?

Red: There's not a day goes by I don't feel regret. Not because I'm in here, or because you think I should. I look back on the way I was then: a young, stupid kid who committed that terrible crime. I want to talk to him. I want to try and talk some sense to him, tell him the way things are. But I can't. That kid's long gone and this old man is all that's left. I got to live with that. Rehabilitated? It's just a bullshit word. So you go on and stamp your form, sonny, and stop wasting my time. Because to tell you the truth, I don't give a shit.

By *waymanMan  over a year ago

newcastle

"Loved the Green mile! ...not cried that much at film...ever actually

I love both these films but the title of ultimate tearjerker in my eyes is an animated film called "When the wind blows", perhaps slightly dated now as the whole nuclear war possibility with the USSR is now a bygone age, but don't mind admitting that I bawled my eyes out at it..."

Loved the book (By Raymond 'the Snowman' briggs), and loved the film as well....

I did know that as Shawshank is one of my favourite films. Darabont also went on to direct The Mist another Stephen King short(ish) story as well as producing & directing the pilot of Walking Dead which is based on a graphic novel.

» Add a new message to this topic