FabSwingers.com

FabSwingers.com > Forums > The Lounge > Caution: rant about my local health service

Caution: rant about my local health service

Jump to: Newest in thread

By *icplshrops OP   Couple  over a year ago

Sheffield

I received a letter from my practice on Saturday, asking me to make an appointment to see my registered GP, because they’ve received a letter from the hospital. No appointments available online, so I rang up today. No appointments with my named GP available, only with another GP at the same practice in 3 weeks time - when I’m moving to South Yorkshire to study! I’ve been offered a phone call from my named GP, on the day that I’m actually driving up there in a fortnights time. They couldn’t even tell me over the phone, what was said in the letter. I think I know what it is: I had major surgery last year and have a slight complication and been having symptoms for most of this year, which may need treatment. Not life threatening (I think), but uncomfortable at times. It’s only taken the hospital 2 months to write back to my GP. Looks like I’ll have to wait until I’m up there to see someone, as I’m registering up there during my stay.

I just don’t understand why it’s so difficult to get an appointment, especially when requested by the hospital? Had no problems booking one years ago. Very unacceptable service!

J

Reply privately, Reply in forum +quote or View forums list

By (user no longer on site)  over a year ago

Bastards

Call me an idiot for asking, but why wait a year to deal with uncomfortable symptoms of a potential complication?

By *rednwilma1Couple  over a year ago

york

That is ridiculous, ......Tell them you will just go and sit in the waiting room until the end of surgery and see anyone who is available, they won't throw you out!!!... hope all ends well

By *tew008Man  over a year ago

edinburgh

Not in a great state at the mo, although is very location dependent. Old place was in a bunch of new builds where over 1000 new homes came in and there was only one part time doctor there. Who then retired, presumably due to the number of new patients.

New place in countryside has a little health center hub, mini hospital thing and the service is way better.

Can't you just make an appointment on the day like most practices?

Most people can't make future appointments as it ended up with people booking in advance incase they were ill and people genuinely needing appointments, not getting them.

I phone at 8am on the day if I get a letter like that.

By *est Wales WifeCouple  over a year ago

Near Carmarthen

Don't blame the doctors and hospitals blame the politicians who are systematically defunding the NHS with a view to breaking it up for sale to the corporations.

That is a large part of what Brexit is about.

"Don't blame the doctors and hospitals blame the politicians who are systematically defunding the NHS with a view to breaking it up for sale to the corporations.

That is a large part of what Brexit is about."

This!

Sheffield

"Call me an idiot for asking, but why wait a year to deal with uncomfortable symptoms of a potential complication? "

I wasn’t sure at first whether it was just part of the healing process or not, as it can take up to 3-6 months to be fully healed inside, or even longer. Plus the symptoms were intermittently.

I had the op last October and mentioned it during a routine post-op examination with my consultant in April. He confirmed that I was still healing and was normal symptoms of healing. He said it should go away by itself in time, but if it persists, go to my GP.

Fast forward to July, I saw my GP after waiting for 3 weeks to see her, who confirmed it’s taking longer to heal. So she’s suggested some treatment, which she can do at the practice. But first, she’ll write to my consultant for his confirmation. So it wasn’t until last Saturday that I was contacted to make this appointment. I may just contact the hospital and speak with his secretary to see what exactly was in that letter and if I can be seen sooner, or even see the nurse practitioner at the practice.

A friend of mine who’s a wife of a GP (not in my authority), says the lack of appointments is a reflection of the nationwide crisis - a shortage of GPs.

Sheffield

"Can't you just make an appointment on the day like most practices?

Most people can't make future appointments as it ended up with people booking in advance incase they were ill and people genuinely needing appointments, not getting them.

I phone at 8am on the day if I get a letter like that. "

Good idea.

Annoyingly that some people book appointments in case they’re ‘ill’ later on, but understandably with the crisis we’re having with the NHS

Sheffield

"Don't blame the doctors and hospitals blame the politicians who are systematically defunding the NHS with a view to breaking it up for sale to the corporations.

That is a large part of what Brexit is about."

From what Trump said about the NHS being ‘on the table’ with any deal, I won’t be surprised!

Worked for nhs for 24 yrs.

There is no answers to your questions. Solutions have been screamed at the government for more than my working life but on deaf ears.

Personally wait til you relocate. Write to current consultant secs ask if can be referred to area your moving.. some will help some will hinder

Just be careful with relocating drs as when I moved 12 miles and changed my drs (same health authority) they lost my notes and all the recent scans I had had

By *ay4realstr8TV/TS  over a year ago

hoyland

"That is ridiculous, ......Tell them you will just go and sit in the waiting room until the end of surgery and see anyone who is available, they won't throw you out!!!... hope all ends well"

This! It really does work! Trust me

I can not fault the treatment I received they were fantastic . I do hope your situation improves opxx

By *est Wales WifeCouple  over a year ago

Near Carmarthen

As an addendum to my post above a few people might be interested to know that the renown journalist John Pilger is making a film on the planned break up of the NHS.

It is to be called

The Dirty War on the NHS - a film by John Pilger

If you feel strongly as I do search for his crowdfunding page online and contribute (we have).

Once the NHS has gone it will be too late.

By *ophieslutTV/TS  over a year ago

Central

The government has made real-time cuts to the health service funding, so overall service levels have to fall. After promising no NHS reorganisation, the conservatives immediately did one after winning the election, costing over a £billion and using time too.

There are now GP shortages, adding delays too.

The NHS staff want to provide the best care they can but are hamstrung, largely by political forces. Enough people vote for this mess though

I work in healthcare. We have about 11000 patients registered with 10 doctors employed in our surgery. They all work part time. I understand the frustration of not being able to see your usual GP at your convenience but lot of patients book multiple or double appointments for the future (lot of them booked online) so therefore it's harder to book with the one you see usually. But we release appointments every morning at 8am when we open up so there is always a chance to be seen earlier than in 2-3 weeks.

Not mentioning patients who don't attend booked appointments and don't cancel them either - those could be used for people who really need them.

Having spent my time here and having lived in a country where you have to have private medical care, the health system here wins every time. That said, I work and have worked for medical equipment companies. What we supply is costly but is needed to offer a first class service. Personally I think the NI contributions should be increased vastly. It's not enough as it stands and the NHS simply is not viable as a front line due to severe funding issues. So I am personally happy to pay more, because of the amazing care I have received when needed. If anyone on here works in the NHS, thanks for your amazing work.

Thanks

» Add a new message to this topic