FabSwingers.com

FabSwingers.com > Forums > The Lounge > Recycle your disposable razor blades

Recycle your disposable razor blades

Jump to: Newest in thread

By *octor Delerium OP   Man  over a year ago

Bristol

Gillette have now introduced the recycling programme (first set-up in the US with TerraCycle) to the UK.

Any brand of disposable razor or razor cartridge can be sent for recycling through Gillette.

The blades and handles are broken down into plastic pellets that can be used in the manufacture of new plastic products. The blades are smelted and used in metal alloy production.

FREEPOST envelopes can be obtained through the Gillette website; just add /recycle after the UK web address.

So, stop sending your used blades and handles to landfill, get them in the post!

Reply privately, Reply in forum +quote or View forums list

By (user no longer on site)  over a year ago

Thank you , will definitely start doing this from now on

By *xperimentalistMan  over a year ago

East Yorkshire

There should be something similar for toothbrushes

That's fantastic news

By *partharmonyCouple  over a year ago

Ruislip

Thank you for this info. Much appreciated.

Every little helps!

But until the Chinese, Brazilians and Indians follow suit and recycle all their blades it won’t make *that* much difference.

Bristol

"There should be something similar for toothbrushes "

I just ran a search; there is a toothbrush recycling programme (along with an enormous raft of others).

Go to the TerraCycle website, sign up and you get information on local recycling points for loads of things that your local Council might not recycle themselves.

Toothbrushes and other oral care products, and packaging can be sent by post.

Obviously, bamboo toothbrushes and wooden tooth picks can be composted!

There's also an incentive scheme to collect and gift to charity and schools if you are recycling large quantities of waste.

Bristol

"Every little helps!

But until the Chinese, Brazilians and Indians follow suit and recycle all their blades it won’t make *that* much difference."

The disposable razor blade has always been one of those things that I thought might be recyclable.

The fact that schemes are now running suggests that they are cost effective in recovery or, more probably, profitable.

If there is a profit to be made from waste then it will be picked up in those countries as well.

Gillette is number 37 on the 2019 Forbes World's Most Valuable Brands list with a valuation of US$16,600,000,000 (US$16.6 billion).

By *naswingdressWoman  over a year ago

Manchester (she/her)

"Every little helps!

But until the Chinese, Brazilians and Indians follow suit and recycle all their blades it won’t make *that* much difference."

Shouldn't stop us doing it anyway.

Amazing! Thanks so much for sharing

Bristol

"Amazing! Thanks so much for sharing "

Thanks!

Maybe people can, periodically, bump the thread so that more of the fora readers might spot it?

By *ssex_tomMan  over a year ago

Chelmsford

What's the best way to send off mobile phones.. ?

Will anyone take them.freepost ?

Bristol

"What's the best way to send off mobile phones.. ?

Will anyone take them.freepost ?"

There are quite a few companies that will recycle mobile phones, working or broken. The reason that they are interested is that the components are extremely valuable (i.e. instant profit when they offer you, and you accept, a paltry valuation.

Run a search on cash for phone, mobile recycling etc.but pay attention to the T&Cs as many will subsequently reduce their offer as the mobile was not in the condition described.

So far, I have not found a single company that will offer cash to recycle my mobile.

I'm guessing that they are put off by it having been hand-made with a titanium case, sapphire crystal screen (that took 5 days to manufacture), leather accents and the space shuttle re-entry tile that neither warms or cools your ear when it makes contact.

Originally made near Hook in Hampshire, it's just an extremely heavy dumb mobile that most people will ignore as it's not big, thin and with a touch sensitive screen..

The company was taken over in ~2015 (by a Chinese parent company) and continues to part wealthy people from their money.

COI: I like hand-crafted and, therefore, unique pieces.

Rather like Aston Martins.

The mobile phone was purchased pre-owned (also referred to as second-hand) and at a massive discount to the ludicrous RRP, but with all the boxes, manuals and warranties.

By *omeotherknobheadMan  over a year ago

morecambe

i'm lucky enough to have a picturesque canal behind my house so i just throw them in there

By *ssex_tomMan  over a year ago

Chelmsford

"i'm lucky enough to have a picturesque canal behind my house so i just throw them in there "

I saw a new craze where people go fishing in canals with magnets.. one person found an Uzi machine gun..

Not sure if the battery might eventually leach chemicals into the water ... This might poison any fish although I am not sure if canals have fish..

By *omeotherknobheadMan  over a year ago

morecambe

"i'm lucky enough to have a picturesque canal behind my house so i just throw them in there

I saw a new craze where people go fishing in canals with magnets.. one person found an Uzi machine gun..

Not sure if the battery might eventually leach chemicals into the water ... This might poison any fish although I am not sure if canals have fish..

"

yeah magnet fishing, folk go pulling all kinds of stuff out, bikes etc...

yeah there's normally plenty fish in uk canals, from little stickleback up to some decent sized pike =)

(was kidding about throwing my razors in btw )

» Add a new message to this topic