FabSwingers.com

FabSwingers.com > Forums > The Lounge > Another Government Proposal

Another Government Proposal

Jump to: Newest in thread

By *andK OP   Couple  over a year ago

Norfolk

CCTV cameras at filling stations across the country are to be used to stop uninsured and untaxed vehicles from refuelling, under proposed government plans.

Do you agree with this?

Reply privately, Reply in forum +quote or View forums list

By (user no longer on site)  over a year ago

Yep. Legal obligation to tax and insure should be observed by all.

By *emmefataleWoman  over a year ago

dirtybigbadsgirlville

"CCTV cameras at filling stations across the country are to be used to stop uninsured and untaxed vehicles from refuelling, under proposed government plans.

Do you agree with this? "

yep, like Be nice said uninsured and untaxed vehicles should be off the road

By *etillanteWoman  over a year ago

Definately

By *andK OP   Couple  over a year ago

Norfolk

I totally agree with it too but some people on here (another thread today) seem to think every government proposal is against the general good of the people

By *littylikka69Man  over a year ago

West Midlands

if they off the road should save us from having to pay more for insurance through having to pay for their accidents/crashes etc.

yep, all of the above, would it help to bring down the cost of insurance though?? since this is the main reason for high ins premiums - so we are told!!

plus it would give us lots more camera cop shows on tv

West Midlands

not bring insurance down,but not go up as much,hopefully!.

By *onnoisseur100Man  over a year ago

Woking-ish

Yes but it can be misused, and they will be able to track your movements with this.

When the met police asked tfl for access to the oyster card data they said it would only be occasional, in the first year they applied on 112 occasions the next year it was more than 150,000 occasions. Abused or what? And no judicial oversight either, every request rubber stamped by tfl.

By *ittle_brat_evie!!Woman  over a year ago

evesham

"yep, all of the above, would it help to bring down the cost of insurance though?? since this is the main reason for high ins premiums - so we are told!!

plus it would give us lots more camera cop shows on tv "

And that is never a bad thing lol

I think its a good idea, or will it increase fuel theft from other cars?

I don't think it's such a good idea to put the law in the hands of companies like BP et al. Look how they circumvented the law when their fookin oil rig blew up. Not the most scrupulous of companies and with the way they've mercilessly ripped off the motorist over the years I'd hate to give them the power to sieze someone's car if that's what it comes to eventually.

It's DVLC's job to make sure a vehicle is taxed and insured and if it isn't then it's the job of the police to track that vehicle down and sieze it, and prosecute it's owner if it's being driven around.

I have to say I do not agree with privatising the roads ad adding toll roads how would that work I mean look at the state of hospitals and the cleanliness.

By *he_original_poloWoman  over a year ago

a Primark shoebox in Leicester

"CCTV cameras at filling stations across the country are to be used to stop uninsured and untaxed vehicles from refuelling, under proposed government plans.

I would agree if I didn't know many of the cameras are shite.... so I am wondering who is going to pay for the new CCTV systems.

Yes

Totally agree with the principle that untaxed cars should be off the road.

Not sure I agree with private companies allowing govt to spy on their customers.

Be interesting to see how much trade BP lose to other garages if it happens

"Yes but it can be misused, and they will be able to track your movements with this.

When the met police asked tfl for access to the oyster card data they said it would only be occasional, in the first year they applied on 112 occasions the next year it was more than 150,000 occasions. Abused or what? And no judicial oversight either, every request rubber stamped by tfl.

"

This is my only concern. our movements are tracked enough as it is.

"yep, all of the above, would it help to bring down the cost of insurance though?? since this is the main reason for high ins premiums - so we are told!!

plus it would give us lots more camera cop shows on tv

And that is never a bad thing lol

I think its a good idea, or will it increase fuel theft from other cars?"

As with everything that may benefit the majority, the criminal minority will find a way round it. and we get to see it all from the front seat of an evo..yay!!

Actually, other concerns are how much will it cost as they're constantly telling us there's no money and will it help bring insurance down for drivers?

It might not bring down costs, but the roads could be a quieter and parking might be easier.

West Midlands

"Actually, other concerns are how much will it cost as they're constantly telling us there's no money and will it help bring insurance down for drivers? "

bring insurance costs down for us motorists?,no chance of that is there?.

will they still be eating and dining in a subsidised restarant that us poor taxpayers and motorists subsidise?,yes!.

By *ollie_JCouple  over a year ago

London

Most of the big garages already have the cctv cameras checking your plates against a locally held list of previous bad payers

In the case of London..How many cameras do we have already? Surely some of these could be used to catch people untaxed and uninsured.

will these forecourt cameras be used for any other reason?

London has 10,000 crime-fighting CCTV cameras(funded by the home office) which cost £200 million yet 80% of crime goes unsolved.

Cameras are cheaper than policemans salaries.

Camerons Big Society - "Watching Us Watching You"!

No. The people who will pay for it are the people who are insured and taxed etc. The petrol/oil companies will pass the cost of installing such equipment on to the paying public. They have to keep their share holders happy. And then in addition, theft of fuel from the honest citizens of this country will increase too.

Mr Camerons "Big Society" is actually "Big Brother" more and more.The DVLA know who is taxed/insured, let them deal with it.

surely not more laws!

maybe they could tax us when we appear on these cams! £5 per minute would rustle up a few sheckles for camelface and osborne!

Many people drive to work and park in company car parks so why not get the companies they work for to report employees who drive untaxed and uninsured. Or refuse to allow them to park if they aren't taxed/insured, they'll soon think twice about it.

"Many people drive to work and park in company car parks so why not get the companies they work for to report employees who drive untaxed and uninsured.

"

Really? It'd be fun working in HR

London

Sorry I didn't finish my original pot as I had a work call..

There are two problems arising

All the big players already have CCTV that will only enable the pumps when you have been checked against a bad payer record

The smaller retailers will have to stump up the cash for CCTV

The next problem is that the CCTV will have to link to DVLA and not to a locally held list of bad payers. Not a problem but investment needed and paid for by the garages, so expect your packet of crisps to be £3 as opposed to the current £2.50

The real stickler is who is going to arrest and detain the uninsured vehicle driver. The petrol companies are saying not insprisingly.. "errr you want us to make citizens arrests"

I have an easy solution... You park up to fill up, current CCTV checks our plates against DVLA, garage forecourts contain a raiseble barrier front and back which then rises to block you in at that pump , police called

You can't move the car, barriers paid for by the insurance industry who get pay back via less uninsured claims

"

I have an easy solution... You park up to fill up, current CCTV checks our plates against DVLA, garage forecourts contain a raiseble barrier front and back which then rises to block you in at that pump , police called

You can't move the car, barriers paid for by the insurance industry who get pay back via less uninsured claims"

What happens when the barriers come down on someone who's already driving an untaxed and uninsured car in,say,Peckham or Hackney or Moss side?

I think it's a great idea! I was hit by an uninsured driver a while ago. Ploughed right into the back of me whilst stationary at 35mph or so. He shook my hand gave me some false insurance details and a correct phone number. I took his registration number. Numerous calls of being fobbed off. Rang the police with his registration details and they wanted nothing to do with it. Had to fix the damage myself.

Although there should be an independent body to oversee the data. I've seen the figures on the Oyster card usage and some on the requests are ludicrous!

"Many people drive to work and park in company car parks so why not get the companies they work for to report employees who drive untaxed and uninsured.

Really? It'd be fun working in HR"

If your firm gave you an untaxed car or van to drive you'd soon have something to say about it so why can't companies refuse to permit untaxed cars to park in their grounds?

If your firm gave you an untaxed car or van to drive you'd soon have something to say about it so why can't companies refuse to permit untaxed cars to park in their grounds?"

It wouldn't affect me as I'm self employed but there has to be a degree of trust between myself and main contractors I do work for. If I thought someone I was subbing work from was checking up on me on behalf of the authorities I'd seriously consider severing all ties with them...Scrub that.I would sever all ties with them

How would it actually work?

Would the petrol station forecourt camera's be linked to the police recognition system? There would be a huge legal issue there surely?

That's ignoring who would enforce it? Can;t see your average petrolstation attendent been thrilled at the prospect of having to tell people this?

"How would it actually work?

Would the petrol station forecourt camera's be linked to the police recognition system? There would be a huge legal issue there surely?

That's ignoring who would enforce it? Can;t see your average petrolstation attendent been thrilled at the prospect of having to tell people this?

"

'Stalag BP' or 'Mein Petrolstation'

"

TOTAL(itarian) Petrol

TOTAL(itarian) Petrol"

total ripoff that's for sure...

[Removed by poster at 20/03/12 21:04:23]

"

You can't move the car, barriers paid for by the insurance industry who get pay back via less uninsured claims

What happens when the barriers come down on someone who's already driving an untaxed and uninsured car in,say,Peckham or Hackney or Moss side?"

"

As someone that has lived in Hackney and who has a close friend on Moss Side, just a little offended by the lazy sterotypes you are implying there. So what exactly do you think would happen?

The real issue with the plan is that it laughably niave, I assume that these pop up barriers will vary in size and be able to catch noth a mini and a people carrier? Oh and that's not to mention that the cars would sit their for hours - costing the petrol station money, wonder where that (hypothetical) cost would get passed on to?

If your firm gave you an untaxed car or van to drive you'd soon have something to say about it so why can't companies refuse to permit untaxed cars to park in their grounds?

It wouldn't affect me as I'm self employed but there has to be a degree of trust between myself and main contractors I do work for. If I thought someone I was subbing work from was checking up on me on behalf of the authorities I'd seriously consider severing all ties with them...Scrub that.I would sever all ties with them"

But if the people you sub work from made it company policy to refuse vehicles that are not taxed - and thus illegal - from entering their grounds it is then down to you to ensure your vehicle meets their requirements if you want the work they are offering.

Plus, they have a duty of care to protect their existing employees vehicles from being damaged by your untaxed vehicle reversing into them - or running one of them over.

Hypothetically speaking of course.

"

What happens when the barriers come down on someone who's already driving an untaxed and uninsured car in,say,Peckham or Hackney or Moss side?"

As someone that has lived in Hackney and who has a close friend on Moss Side, just a little offended by the lazy sterotypes you are implying there. So what exactly do you think would happen?

The real issue with the plan is that it laughably niave, I assume that these pop up barriers will vary in size and be able to catch noth a mini and a people carrier? Oh and that's not to mention that the cars would sit their for hours - costing the petrol station money, wonder where that (hypothetical) cost would get passed on to?"

Lazy stereotyping? I grew up a few of miles from Peckham in Brixton, Tra grew up in New Cross which is even closer and I know Hackney very well. I have family in Manchester. Was I being lazy or was I using places I actually know about. I could have said Hull or Torquay but I didn't because I know fuck all about them.So,Tell me. Who was I stereotyping

It wouldn't affect me as I'm self employed but there has to be a degree of trust between myself and main contractors I do work for. If I thought someone I was subbing work from was checking up on me on behalf of the authorities I'd seriously consider severing all ties with them...Scrub that.I would sever all ties with them

But if the people you sub work from made it company policy to refuse vehicles that are not taxed - and thus illegal - from entering their grounds it is then down to you to ensure your vehicle meets their requirements if you want the work they are offering.

Plus, they have a duty of care to protect their existing employees vehicles from being damaged by your untaxed vehicle reversing into them - or running one of them over.

Hypothetically speaking of course."

I totally agree with you (for once )

As I said there has to be an element of trust. But that's not the same as informing the authorities at their behest. Cos then someone who's paying me to do work is outside checking my tax disc while i was doing it. and as I said,I'd walk

London

Naive, ok may be.. But do you have a better idea?

It's a problem, any idea is welcome, the current way of not doing anything is obviously not ideal for anybody

But saying that the tyre shredders I see that stop you entering the wrong way into closed car parks that contain TK Maxx, Comet et al tend to be a intersting deterent, whether you drive a Mini or a Chelsea tractor

Petrol station forecourt cameras are already linked to the police database. When you go to fill up they scan your number plate and check it against a database of those who have done a runner without paying.

I think the barriers idea is stupid. I think just the fact the police have been alerted to the car being on the road untaxed and uninsured will give them the address to send the fine to

By *teborahCouple  over a year ago

warrington

Yet again another total not thought out load of bollox from our incompetent leaders for that to work they would have to ban petrol cans also. what would be stopping me getting a lift to the petrol station in my friends taxed and insured car then filling up a few petrol cans then going back to my house then pouring it into my tank then taking it for a jolly round the town with no tax or insurance? And you wonder why we are in the shit we are in

"Yet again another total not thought out load of bollox from our incompetent leaders for that to work they would have to ban petrol cans also. what would be stopping me getting a lift to the petrol station in my friends taxed and insured car then filling up a few petrol cans then going back to my house then pouring it into my tank then taking it for a jolly round the town with no tax or insurance? And you wonder why we are in the shit we are in "

There's not too many people that would go through that rigmarole to save a few quid though is there?

By *teborahCouple  over a year ago

warrington

"Yet again another total not thought out load of bollox from our incompetent leaders for that to work they would have to ban petrol cans also. what would be stopping me getting a lift to the petrol station in my friends taxed and insured car then filling up a few petrol cans then going back to my house then pouring it into my tank then taking it for a jolly round the town with no tax or insurance? And you wonder why we are in the shit we are in

There's not too many people that would go through that rigmarole to save a few quid though is there?"

A jerry can holds 20lts of fuel. using one is no drama at all to a scumbag who drives his car with no tax or insurance and there are plenty of those knocking round this country.

"Yet again another total not thought out load of bollox from our incompetent leaders for that to work they would have to ban petrol cans also. what would be stopping me getting a lift to the petrol station in my friends taxed and insured car then filling up a few petrol cans then going back to my house then pouring it into my tank then taking it for a jolly round the town with no tax or insurance? And you wonder why we are in the shit we are in

There's not too many people that would go through that rigmarole to save a few quid though is there?"

Its not a few quid though, is it? Average car tax (assuming you don't have a 4x4 the size of a housing estate) is about £150 to £200. Insurance on the top, another £300 minimum.

Plus, no tax, no insurance and probably no MOT. Most likely they lost their licence too.

Part of the reason we are "in the shit we are in" is the closed market economy and price-fixing that is the car insurance industry. They have you over a barrel - you need it, only they have it and they are damn well going to charge whatever they want for it.

You drive a 10 year old car, and you haven't had an accident in like, forever. But you cant insurance under £300!

So you wonder why, in an economic age where the price of basic food, gas and electric is going through the roof ( largely due to privatisation), that people cannot afford to pay the Insurance Pirates and Profiteers.

I'm not defending the morons with no car insurance, I'm just saying that the system overall is broken and wont be fixed any-time soon!

» Add a new message to this topic