FabSwingers.com

FabSwingers.com > Forums > The Lounge > Losing weight

Losing weight

Jump to: Newest in thread

By (user no longer on site) OP     over a year ago

Last september I contracted a spinal illness, transversal myelitis, which stopped me exercising - I was due to run the great north run

Well I deferred my entry until this year - whilst I am confident on the running training I've put on a good 20 lbs and wondered if anyone had tips on shifting it quickly

Reply privately, Reply in forum +quote or View forums list

By (user no longer on site)  over a year ago

Weightwatchers ProPoints. worked for both of us. You can comfortably lose 1-2lb per week whilst still having nice food (and a beer or two) if you so desire.

Good luck on the GNR by the way. This year will be my 4th and I'm really lookg forward to it

By *ellhatterMan  over a year ago

slough

hope u recover well soon mate .

"hope u recover well soon mate ."

Cheers - I've been lucky 300 people in the UK get it each year, 100 never walk again, 100 have difficulty the rest make a full recovery

All I've got left is a little pins & needles in the hands so I count my blessings

It will be my 7th GNR and I'm determined to dip under 2 hours

What can you do exercise wise?

Thankfully I can use free weights, gym machines and run on the pavement - just need to be aware of any tingling

By *ENGUYMan  over a year ago

Hull

I've just lost 21 pounds in weight in 3 months!

I came out of 10 months unemployment and a more sedentary lifestyle then, into a new job late last year.

I walk to and from work (about 2.5 miles per day) as there is no public transport at all to my workplace. I eat more regularly and in a structured way; I have an active job, with only some 2 hours seated out of 8.

I'm happy, my GP is too, and I've reached 14.5 stones for the first time in over 17 years.

I didn't diet, just changed aspects of my life. It can work for some I know; we are all different, but whatever you find is OK for you, then do it.

Start by cutting out bread, pasta and sauces and don't eat carbs after 8pm.

Also, increase your water intake.

You'll be surprised the difference it makes.

Good Luck!

XXXX

"Thankfully I can use free weights, gym machines and run on the pavement - just need to be aware of any tingling"

Then I would suggest (as long as your doctor agrees) A full body workout, three times a week, and maybe a cardio day ... as lifting weights is the best way to lose weight.

Do compound lifts such as squats, deadlifts, bench press over head press, bent over rows.

Have a calorie deficit of 500 calories .. if you have an iPhone, there is an app called myfitnesspal, which will help with your diet.

Good luck

Thanks all for the advice and good wishes

By *ucsparkMan  over a year ago

dudley

I only try to eat one food type at any meal, carbs one meal protein another makes body more efficient at using one food type at time and I water fast one day in fourteen

Diet wise, go higher in lean protein, chicken, fish etc with lots of green veg, and try and have your carbs at breakfast time, gives you the whole day to burn them off..

Good luck btw x

"Last september I contracted a spinal illness, transversal myelitis, which stopped me exercising - I was due to run the great north run

Well I deferred my entry until this year - whilst I am confident on the running training I've put on a good 20 lbs and wondered if anyone had tips on shifting it quickly "

...I'm 95% bedridden, a year ago l developed diabetes, high cholesterol and gained weight. Six months ago l checked out diets and came across the 'Caveman power diet', essentially it's normal food but NO carbs, eg. spuds, rice, pasta and bread. I've lost over 2 stone, my blood sugars are bang on normal as are my cholesterol levels, plus l have tons of energy, only need 6 hours kip and my skin is amazingly soft. The weight starts dropping off the day after you start the diet.

"Then I would suggest (as long as your doctor agrees) A full body workout, three times a week, and maybe a cardio day ... as lifting weights is the best way to lose weight.

Do compound lifts such as squats, deadlifts, bench press over head press, bent over rows.

Have a calorie deficit of 500 calories .. if you have an iPhone, there is an app called myfitnesspal, which will help with your diet.

Good luck

"

I would agree with this but if your preparing for a run do 2 -3 cardio days maybe on a cycle to start and make one long distance and the others interval training.

As for eating, healthly rounded meals 5 days and allow your self a little splurge for 2.

By *ones_BoothCouple  over a year ago

Solihull

get down to a good mma gym, they will help you out Buddy

By *ell you laterWoman  over a year ago

NEWCASTLE

In 18 months iv lost 13 stone

By *ophieslutTV/TS  over a year ago

Central

Aim to be fairly gradual, and also to trick your body regularly - as we're very good at adjusting to training regimes etc. Shocking your body too much may not be that healthy, hence the gradual approach too.

Park a little further away - if you drive a car, that is - from where you're going, as the incremental effects of a little bit more exercise will stack up, and you're not going to come down with torn muscles, such as from 3 or 4 minutes extra walking.

Trim bits off your meals, as making them just slightly smaller will mean you're consuming less calories per day.

When you feel hungry, be aware that it may be thirst, and consuming more fluids would satiate that, as well as helping to fill your stomach.

With your training programme, aim to bulk your muscle up a bit - muscle mass consumes far more energy, pound for pound, than other body weight such as fat. What this means is that more of your energy intake is just being expended by the very process of having your muscle - and this would be in addition to any calories consumed exercising to get it etc.

If you find a buddy to also lose weight with, then the peer support is likely to be helpful, as group support at Weight Watchers etc, may be too.

I also think it's a good idea to take a day off each week, where you eat more generally, as opposed to 'dieting'. What you'll likely find is that your overall sense of getting healthier will likely impact on what you eat on your day off anyway, and you won't have a 5 litre tub of hagen dazs etc, just because you can

With your exercise routing - trick your body, as this will likely provide greater results than if you progress in a linear fashion, such as just imcreasing weights progressively that you're stacking on at a gym.

Cardio exercise is likely to give you the biggest chance to get leaner, coupled with the advice above about also trying to bulk up muscle mass somewhat: realise you do want to lose some weight, rather than gain overll, of course.

Anyway, good luck with the GNR, and on recovering your health!!

» Add a new message to this topic