FabSwingers.com

FabSwingers.com > Forums > The Lounge > Favourite Madness song

Favourite Madness song

Jump to: Newest in thread

By (user no longer on site) OP     over a year ago

What's your favourite tune from The Nutty Boys? They've had some classics over the years and still touring strong today.

Embarrassment and One Better Day for me, and a more obscure one Blue Skinned Beast

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xQtEj9YADPM

Reply privately, Reply in forum +quote or View forums list

By *moothdickMan  over a year ago

stoke

Jonny the horse

By *he Devil rides outMan  over a year ago

Sheffield

House of fun

By *ex HolesMan  over a year ago

Up North

Rabbit Rabbit

By (user no longer on site)  over a year ago

It must be love ,embarrassment, night boat to Cairo, oh the memories

It must be love.

It just makes me think of Mr Cagey always.

In the middle of the night

By *ensualbicockMan  over a year ago

liverpool wavertree picton clock

embarrassment

By *moothdickMan  over a year ago

stoke

Love the intro to night boat

"Love the intro to night boat "
yep it certainly gets your attention

Oh I'm a massive fan of the Nutty Boys .. House of fun is my favourite.. I've seen them loads of times. They're still going strong

Baggy trousers - My school days perfectly described in a song

Wings of a dove

P

"Wings of a dove

P"

oh oh yeah yeah for the wings ov a dove

“One better day” is a thing of great beauty. I grew up not far from Camden where the song is set and remember the homeless shelter “Arlington House” that the lyric refers to.

"Hey you don't watch that, watch this"

By *uke olovingmanMan  over a year ago

Gravesend

Baggy trazziz

By *axwellCouple  over a year ago

south lakes

It must be love

Oh, there's loads! For the tune itself, One Step Beyond or Night Boat to Cairo.

I have a certain extra soft spot for Waiting for the Ghost train as well.

B

Baggy trousers (school days!)

Blackbird the song that pays tribute to Amy Winehouse , from the old albums it’s Bed and Breakfast Man

Cardiac Arrest too

By *rightonsteveMan  over a year ago

Brighton - even Hove!

"House of fun"
this one

My Girl

Relationship issues in a nutshell!

By *edmark07Man  over a year ago

liverpool

Love loads but as an out there choice razor blade alley sung by Lee Thompson

By *innie The MinxWoman  over a year ago

Under the Duvet

It Must Love...only song I've ever sung/murdered on karaoke

By *alandNitaCouple  over a year ago

Scunthorpe

Must be love... better than the original too.

By *tella HeelsTV/TS  over a year ago

west here ford shire

Night boat to Cairo

"Night boat to Cairo "
my fave too

By *emini ManMan  over a year ago

There and to the left a bit

How've I only just seen this thread? It has my name all over it

It's no secret I'm a big fan of theirs and have seen them live 50+ times - in fact today marks the 27th anniversary of one of their, and probably my, best ever gigs when they reformed for the first time in six years and caused an earthquake (literally) in Finsbury Park.

So many good songs, especially if you look beyond the singles they are known and loved for - tracks like One Fine Day, That Close, How Can I Tell You, Rockin' In Ab, Prospects, and many more are all sublime - of the singles Embaressment is possibly the finest piece of pure pop you could ever find, Yesterdays Men is simply poignant, Night Boat, One Step and Baggy Trousers just make you want to dance.

But the track that made them for me, the one that absolutely made my jaw drop the first time I heard it and still does now is the title track from their 2009 album The Liberty Of Norton Folgate which is a 9 minute 42 second journey around the East End of London, that showed they were so much more than a 3 minute pop song band that made funny videos to anyone that didn't know it already - it also prompted me to write a piece, explaining the song and it's places that was included in one of their tour programmes, so a proud moment for me.

Ladies and gentlemen I give you....The Liberty Of Norton Folgate...

https://youtu.be/7X8BDcn-rSA

"How've I only just seen this thread? It has my name all over it

It's no secret I'm a big fan of theirs and have seen them live 50+ times - in fact today marks the 27th anniversary of one of their, and probably my, best ever gigs when they reformed for the first time in six years and caused an earthquake (literally) in Finsbury Park.

So many good songs, especially if you look beyond the singles they are known and loved for - tracks like One Fine Day, That Close, How Can I Tell You, Rockin' In Ab, Prospects, and many more are all sublime - of the singles Embaressment is possibly the finest piece of pure pop you could ever find, Yesterdays Men is simply poignant, Night Boat, One Step and Baggy Trousers just make you want to dance.

But the track that made them for me, the one that absolutely made my jaw drop the first time I heard it and still does now is the title track from their 2009 album The Liberty Of Norton Folgate which is a 9 minute 42 second journey around the East End of London, that showed they were so much more than a 3 minute pop song band that made funny videos to anyone that didn't know it already - it also prompted me to write a piece, explaining the song and it's places that was included in one of their tour programmes, so a proud moment for me.

https://youtu.be/7X8BDcn-rSA"

wondered when you'd turn up

By *icketysplitsWoman  over a year ago

Way over Yonder, that's where I'm bound

"How've I only just seen this thread? It has my name all over it

https://youtu.be/7X8BDcn-rSA"

I was up the road from their Finsbury Park earthquake and could hear the noise from my house. Wasn't it the Sunday, though (9th, not 8th)?

Norton Folgate makes me sad now that we've lost Norton Folgate, and my favourite pub, to developers.

I went to the 40th Birthday party gig at Kenwood earlier this summer. Orchestration has changed my mind about some of my favourites but I want to sit with that before declaring a favourite.

By *he Mac LassWoman  over a year ago

Hefty Hideaway

It must be love.

Every year my best bitches and I watch a ska band in the park. When this comes on we dance, sing and laugh. Invariably one or four of us have a little happy cry. Love is the best!

"

I was up the road from their Finsbury Park earthquake and could hear the noise from my house. Wasn't it the Sunday, though (9th, not 8th)?

Norton Folgate makes me sad now that we've lost Norton Folgate, and my favourite pub, to developers.

I went to the 40th Birthday party gig at Kenwood earlier this summer. Orchestration has changed my mind about some of my favourites but I want to sit with that before declaring a favourite.

"

They did both days at Finsbury Park Lickety, the Saturday was the earthquake though.

Don't get me started on Norton Folgate another Boris decision that came out of corporate greed - The Water Poet was a cracking pub too. I was lucky enough to attend the launch party for the album that was held in The Light Bar just across the road - breaks my heart what is being needlessly done to that area.

Was at Kenwood too - the addition of an orchestra was a delight although I do wish they'd changed a few of the songs a little more while they had the chance.

By *stellaWoman  over a year ago

London

I’m a die hard It Must Be Love fan

By *arkb73Man  over a year ago

Cheshire/Staffs

Shut up

Michael Caine

Grey Day

Tiptoes

NW5

One of the best bands ever

By *icketysplitsWoman  over a year ago

Way over Yonder, that's where I'm bound

"

They did both days at Finsbury Park Lickety, the Saturday was the earthquake though.

Don't get me started on Norton Folgate another Boris decision that came out of corporate greed - The Water Poet was a cracking pub too. I was lucky enough to attend the launch party for the album that was held in The Light Bar just across the road - breaks my heart what is being needlessly done to that area.

Was at Kenwood too - the addition of an orchestra was a delight although I do wish they'd changed a few of the songs a little more while they had the chance."

My memory... I'm old.

I did wonder if they didn't change some of the songs because there would be grumbles from some quarters. Or, if it was just that the rehearsals, alongside the massive touring, meant there wasn't time to hone the changes with the orchestration.

I have such happy memories of the Water Poet. I had a moment when I suggested meeting someone there for a social before remembering it's gone.

By *pider-WomanWoman  over a year ago

Exeter, Bristol, Plymouth, Truro

"I’m a die hard It Must Be Love fan "

Oh yes

"

I did wonder if they didn't change some of the songs because there would be grumbles from some quarters. Or, if it was just that the rehearsals, alongside the massive touring, meant there wasn't time to hone the changes with the orchestration.

"

My one and only criticism of them is they're pretty lazy and very rarely change the set list about to the point you can pretty much guess what it will be before any gig even down to the running order - now that also comes down to trying to please the fan base BUT they have the body of work to be able to mix it up AND keep the greatest hits fans happy

Gray day , what a song takes me back to my teenage years and getting up to go to school , which I hated

The Sun and the Rain....pretty much sums up my summer (not a surprise given that I’m in Glasgow)

By *ogNMuseCouple  over a year ago

Surrey

"

My one and only criticism of them is they're pretty lazy and very rarely change the set list about to the point you can pretty much guess what it will be before any gig even down to the running order - now that also comes down to trying to please the fan base BUT they have the body of work to be able to mix it up AND keep the greatest hits fans happy"

I used to go most years as they normally end their tours in London just before Xmas so was always the wife’s Xmas present to me; but it was just becoming very samey.

I went to see them years ago when they were doing the concerts in various forestry commission locations - they were awful, felt like Suggs and Chas had a row just before they came - and no Night Boat encore to top it off!

But they will always have a special place in my heart, as Baggy Trousers was the first single I bought (Rainbow Records West Drayton) aged 9

Hard to pick just one, but Night Boat probably edges no1 spot, but the whole of the One Step Beyond album is brilliant - even Swan Lake!

"

My one and only criticism of them is they're pretty lazy and very rarely change the set list about to the point you can pretty much guess what it will be before any gig even down to the running order - now that also comes down to trying to please the fan base BUT they have the body of work to be able to mix it up AND keep the greatest hits fans happy

I used to go most years as they normally end their tours in London just before Xmas so was always the wife’s Xmas present to me; but it was just becoming very samey.

I went to see them years ago when they were doing the concerts in various forestry commission locations - they were awful, felt like Suggs and Chas had a row just before they came - and no Night Boat encore to top it off!

But they will always have a special place in my heart, as Baggy Trousers was the first single I bought (Rainbow Records West Drayton) aged 9

Hard to pick just one, but Night Boat probably edges no1 spot, but the whole of the One Step Beyond album is brilliant - even Swan Lake! "

I go more now because of the people I have got to know and a chance to see them - they still put on a good show but as you say it's got pretty samey - appreciate there are songs that it's expected they play like One Step, Night Boat, It Must Be Love etc every band has them - it's the failure to mix up the lesser known singles and to play album tracks that lets them down.

Trouble is they're stuck between a rock and a hard place as the vast majority that go to see them only know the singles and expect them - but they could please all by firstly swapping the set list round and secondly mixing up the singles they do play.

They do a cracking weekend at Butlins in November/December though where the Friday night they play rarities and b-sides

By *oeyttMan  over a year ago

london / East Midlands / Edinburgh

My girl but of the newer stuff I never knew your name is a great song

By *oxladMan  over a year ago

WORKSOP

My Girl. NW5 and the complete Absolutely album

By *oxladMan  over a year ago

WORKSOP

Oh I forgot The Princ.

First saw them in 1979! I've seen them every year they have toured since

By *bsolutebeginnersCouple  over a year ago

Planet Ork

Saw them on Friday, night boat to Cairo and bed and breakfast man were our favourites.

By *uriousscouserWoman  over a year ago

Wirral

Wings of a Dove for me, always makes me smile!

By *rHotNottsMan  over a year ago

Dubai & Nottingham

I quite like land of hope and glory

By *he love catsCouple  over a year ago

South Wales

Night boat to Cairo and it must be love. X

Grey day or The Prince.

By *ebjonnsonMan  over a year ago

Maldon

Where is Gemini man these days ?

By *aomilatteCouple  over a year ago

Midlands

The one that goes "Durr durr durr durrrr...durr durr durr durr durr".

What's it called?

By *ollycouple71Couple  over a year ago

manchester

Tomorrow just Another Day

Shut up

The prince x

By *iltopbearMan  over a year ago

Norfolk

Night boat to Cairo, Embarrassment.