FabSwingers.com

FabSwingers.com > Forums > The Lounge > alexa

alexa

Jump to: Newest in thread

By *iamondsmiles. OP   Woman  over a year ago

little house on the praire

Ok so i never buy gadgety stuff but thought i might treat myself to an alexa. Ive looked them up but dont know how they work. Do you just plug them in and speak and whats the difference between a dot and an echo

Reply privately, Reply in forum +quote or View forums list

By (user no longer on site)  over a year ago

The echo is the full size one with a proper speaker.

The dot is smaller and has a tiny speaker. Fine for just controlling things but I wouldn't want to listen to music on it. However you can plug it into a speaker if you have one.

You can just plug it in and go for the interaction or to listen to the music/radio. If you want to control things around the house with it, then you will need to buy other devices

By *valanche1001Man  over a year ago

Leeds

"The echo is the full size one with a proper speaker.

The dot is smaller and has a tiny speaker. Fine for just controlling things but I wouldn't want to listen to music on it. However you can plug it into a speaker if you have one.

You can just plug it in and go for the interaction or to listen to the music/radio. If you want to control things around the house with it, then you will need to buy other devices "

After Alexa has ‘heard’ your latest meet, are you bombarded with adverts for condoms and sex toys?

You can just plug it in and go for the interaction or to listen to the music/radio. If you want to control things around the house with it, then you will need to buy other devices "

but is it like a talking google. I just ask it a question and it answers

By *SAchickWoman  over a year ago

Hillside desolate

You can just plug it in and go for the interaction or to listen to the music/radio. If you want to control things around the house with it, then you will need to buy other devices but is it like a talking google. I just ask it a question and it answers"

Yes

You can just plug it in and go for the interaction or to listen to the music/radio. If you want to control things around the house with it, then you will need to buy other devices but is it like a talking google. I just ask it a question and it answers"

In theory yes. But in reality I find the asking questions to not be great.

I use mine for music, radio, news and home control mostly. Just say "Alexa play BBC radio 4" or "Alexa what's the weather today". And it does it. I'm also a geek so have worked out how to do loads around the house with it. "Alexa turn on kitchen lights" and my worktop lights turn on. Great when cooking!

By *019ReadyCouple  over a year ago

Leeds

From what I've read recently such gadgets sound to be increasing their surveilance abilities. Personally I'm suspicious of most things like that

You can just plug it in and go for the interaction or to listen to the music/radio. If you want to control things around the house with it, then you will need to buy other devices but is it like a talking google. I just ask it a question and it answers

In theory yes. But in reality I find the asking questions to not be great.

I use mine for music, radio, news and home control mostly. Just say "Alexa play BBC radio 4" or "Alexa what's the weather today". And it does it. I'm also a geek so have worked out how to do loads around the house with it. "Alexa turn on kitchen lights" and my worktop lights turn on. Great when cooking!"

Thanks. I only want one for a bit of light entertainment.

You can just plug it in and go for the interaction or to listen to the music/radio. If you want to control things around the house with it, then you will need to buy other devices but is it like a talking google. I just ask it a question and it answers

Yes "

thanks

"From what I've read recently such gadgets sound to be increasing their surveilance abilities. Personally I'm suspicious of most things like that "

I'm more worried about my phone being used for surveillance. It has a lot more capability for data capture, gets lots of additional software installed on it and runs a much more open operating system.

"From what I've read recently such gadgets sound to be increasing their surveilance abilities. Personally I'm suspicious of most things like that "

There was a news article the other day that said it would be listening all the time, even without calling its' name.

Treat it like a dab radio plus shipping lists and other stuff.

With multiple dots you can make announcements throughout the house

By *osie xWoman  over a year ago

wolverhampton

You can also get a spot that can be used to video message on too (this would link to say a smart doorbell also)

By *heBirminghamWeekendMan  over a year ago

here

"From what I've read recently such gadgets sound to be increasing their surveilance abilities. Personally I'm suspicious of most things like that

There was a news article the other day that said it would be listening all the time, even without calling its' name. "

Agree

Very worrying things

By *tella HeelsTV/TS  over a year ago

west here ford shire

"Ok so i never buy gadgety stuff but thought i might treat myself to an alexa. Ive looked them up but dont know how they work. Do you just plug them in and speak and whats the difference between a dot and an echo"

I can’t tell too much, but I am aware of a high ranking officer telling his son (who was buying home one for Xmas) sorry ######### I can’t have one in the house, as it can be used to listen to conversations which must not be divulged ..

Personally I don’t care if you believe this or not, but the son is known to me

We have 2, love them both. Im not bothered if they listen in to us as we dont do anything wrong.

Great for radio and Amazon music etc etc. Nellie has a large one in the bedroom .... oo er .... also a £20 dot downstairs blue toothed to soundbar and woofer (sounds great) .... oh and ask it who H is in line of duty

Sonos speakers come with Alexa. Not literally of course

well i live alone with three cats not going to get much top secret information from me

I,'ve got 3 Alexa dots, I like them for listening to music on. I ask it to play 70,s or ,80,s music mostly and it plays continuously without adds or news. I have asked it questions before too.

X

"Great for radio and Amazon music etc etc. Nellie has a large one in the bedroom .... oo er .... also a £20 dot downstairs blue toothed to soundbar and woofer (sounds great) .... oh and ask it who H is in line of duty "

Alexa, cover my shift on Friday.

im going to get the echo not the dot

By *om and JennieCouple  over a year ago

Chams or Socials

We have the dot as it only cost 99p through Amazon Music (£14.99 a month - you can subscribe, pay 1 month & cancel but we use the music anyway).

The kids ask her stupid questions & I play music. Not sure I’ll use for lights etc..

J x

By *ig1gaz1Man  over a year ago

bradford

"Sonos speakers come with Alexa. Not literally of course "

the cottage where im at has those sonos speakers there good nice and bass'y

plays good sound works off internet and bluetooth/wireless to each other so speakers can be in different rooms playing

enough so I have played them loud just cant resist.

neighbours have even asked me for my music which im playing.

also has alexa devices here hate the things as I unplug them

By *4nc3rCouple  over a year ago

Clacton-On-Sea, Essex

I got a new Sonos speaker free with my phone upgrade, I can't say I'm that impressed or bothered. But I always have my phone on me (and a simple Sony Bluetooth speaker that sounds great!) so it doesn't feel as much of a lifesaver as hubby thinks it is.

It is nice for the kids when they wanna listen to music, especially my 5 Yr old who although improving can't spell to type what he wants to listen to on the Xbox haha

One day there will be a really shit 'reality' show where people are put into a studio, mocked up like a house and every move watched.

Inspiration will have come from real life not a dystopian novel. They’ll call it Alexa.

» Add a new message to this topic