FabSwingers.com

FabSwingers.com > Forums > The Lounge > Owning our waste.

Owning our waste.

Jump to: Newest in thread

By (user no longer on site) OP     over a year ago

Only 9% of the world's plastic is recycled according to latest figures. Since China stopped recieving waste from the West, the West started dumping it in ports around SE Asia.

The President of the Philippines has just threatened to cut all diplomatic ties with Canada if it does don't take back the 69 containers (1,500 tonnes) it dumped in its ports. It will return them and dump them back if they don't.

"Canada had refused to even acknowledge the issue for years", will they own it now I wonder.

Do people think this is the only way we will cut down our waste? Own it and keep it or don't produce it.

Should there be a law mandating countries preventing them from disposing waste anywhere except in their own country? What other significant effects would this have on our country, nature and global warming?

Reply privately, Reply in forum +quote or View forums list

By *rbean69Man  over a year ago

Stroud

Perhaps I am being naive, but this doesn't make sense to me.

"Canada had refused to even acknowledge the issue for years"

So the Canadians have been doing this against the Philippines wishes for years? The Philippines doesn't have a navy or coastal protection vessels?

"Perhaps I am being naive, but this doesn't make sense to me.

"Canada had refused to even acknowledge the issue for years"

So the Canadians have been doing this against the Philippines wishes for years? The Philippines doesn't have a navy or coastal protection vessels?

"

I don't know those issues. It's not the first time the west has dumped unwanted plastic waste on Asian in the past.

Last week, crates of shredded municipal garbage from Australia turned up in the Philippines labelled as fuel in at attempt to bypass customs regulations. Philippine customs officials confirmed they were working on sending it back.

By *rbean69Man  over a year ago

Stroud

"Last week, crates of shredded municipal garbage from Australia turned up in the Philippines labelled as fuel in at attempt to bypass customs regulations. Philippine customs officials confirmed they were working on sending it back."

Thank you for explaining. I agree it is wrong. The waste-originating countries' governments should take action, too.

» Add a new message to this topic