FabSwingers.com

FabSwingers.com > Forums > The Lounge > Gas fitters..

Gas fitters..

Jump to: Newest in thread

By (user no longer on site) OP     over a year ago

Have just been quoted £100 (cheapest) for a little flexible piece of pipe to go from one pipe on the wall to the cooker...

FFS - the cooker only costs £200 new..

rip off or what

Reply privately, Reply in forum +quote or View forums list

By (user no longer on site)  over a year ago

Was he a fit fitter tho?

Get one from B&Q

"Get one from B&Q"

I didnt know u could get fit fitters from B&Q gonna head there in the morning

"Have just been quoted £100 (cheapest) for a little flexible piece of pipe to go from one pipe on the wall to the cooker...

FFS - the cooker only costs £200 new..

rip off or what "

If you have a local pub go for a drink and ask around. I guarantee someone will know someone who'll pop round and do it five minutes. Offer them extras and they'll be there yesterday lol

By *omaMan  over a year ago

Glasgow

Yeah any good DIY store should have these....for a hell of a lot less than your quote.

Yes rip off I charge £60 -70 with the pipe and fitting xx

Was the quote for parts & labour tho?

as you have to be registered to fit gas cookers/parts

Actually, check out the bulletin boards at your local B&Q, you'll find local tradesmen there, and haggle with them, always haggle.

"Yeah any good DIY store should have these....for a hell of a lot less than your quote."

Do NOT be tempted to fit it yourself you will invalidate your house insurance xx

go to myhammer.co.uk and acution it off to the lowest bidder

"Yeah any good DIY store should have these....for a hell of a lot less than your quote."

Didnt think you were allowed to fit these pipes yourself.. are you

By *acreadCouple  over a year ago

central scotland

Has to be a registered gas fitter used to be corgi but changed to something else and cant remember what.

If British gas find out it was done by a non registered person they will cut your gas off.

"Yeah any good DIY store should have these....for a hell of a lot less than your quote.

Didnt think you were allowed to fit these pipes yourself.. are you "

depends on weather its a rental house or not if its rental defo dont do it yourself if its your own home and your compitant you can do it your self (unless its the bayonette fitting to the back of the cooker then its fine to do your self its all push fit

"Yeah any good DIY store should have these....for a hell of a lot less than your quote.

Didnt think you were allowed to fit these pipes yourself.. are you "

One end screws onto the back of the cooker, and the other end is a bayonet fitting that just plugs onto the gas pipe on the wall

One end screws onto the back of the cooker, and the other end is a bayonet fitting that just plugs onto the gas pipe on the wall"

+1 if its relativity new ( just remember to use ptfe on the screw fit

depends on weather its a rental house or not if its rental defo dont do it yourself if its your own home and your compitant you can do it your self (unless its the bayonette fitting to the back of the cooker then its fine to do your self its all push fit"

The new gas regulations changed that it's now ilegal to fit or alter ANY gas carrying part unless you are a gas safe registered fitter

This now applies in your own home now as well and will invalidate your house insurance and leave you open to a criminal prosecution xx

One end screws onto the back of the cooker, and the other end is a bayonet fitting that just plugs onto the gas pipe on the wall

+1 if its relativity new ( just remember to use ptfe

on the screw fit"

Ptfe tape is NOT suitable for gas fittings

There is a simalar tape but it's NOT ptfe

Sorry mate but dangerous advise there and I am a registered gas fitter of 18 years

It's not just the pipe that you're paying for though, it's the fact that the gas fitter, or the company who employ him, has paid out a thousand or more pounds to train him and to ensure that his work is up to the required standards and that your house ain't gonna be the epicentre of a massive gas blast because he fucked up when fitting your 'bit of pipe'

"

The new gas regulations changed that it's now ilegal to fit or alter ANY gas carrying part unless you are a gas safe registered fitter

This now applies in your own home now as well and will invalidate your house insurance and leave you open to a criminal prosecution xx

"

i queried screw-fix on this a few months ago due to moving and having to buy a new cooker got the pipe from screw-fix for £11 and got told that it is ok to do this as it has a 1 way valve connected to the end of the pipe if u cant connect and disconnect how are you supposed to spring clean behind the cooker

+1 if its relativity new ( just remember to use ptfe on the screw fit"

Nooooooo !

It's not just good old ptfe, it's yellow and it's thicker .... and it has to be applied correctly

+1 if its relativity new ( just remember to use ptfe

on the screw fit

Ptfe tape is NOT suitable for gas fittings

There is a simalar tape but it's NOT ptfe

Sorry mate but dangerous advise there and I am a registered gas fitter of 18 years"

my bad i just generalised as ptfe tape

"

i queried screw-fix on this a few months ago due to moving and having to buy a new cooker got the pipe from screw-fix for £11 and got told that it is ok to do this as it has a 1 way valve connected to the end of the pipe if u cant connect and disconnect how are you supposed to spring clean behind the cooker"

It should be a bayonet connector, which will allow you to safely disconnect the appliance. When the spigot is disconnected, the valve automatically shuts off, allowing you to move the cooker to clean behind etc etc.

[Removed by poster at 19/02/12 20:02:08]

this is my point redhotcpl if you are allowed to remove it the you are able to fit it so it is a job that can be done at home

fooking hell i havent half opened a can of worms here !!! (hides)

Right- just checked and the gas pipe on the wall has the bayonet cap thingy..!!

So is it legal for me to buy a pipe and plug it in so to speak..

"

i queried screw-fix on this a few months ago due to moving and having to buy a new cooker got

the pipe from screw-fix for £11 and got told that it is ok to do this as it has a 1 way valve connected to the end of the pipe if u cant connect and disconnect how are you supposed to spring clean behind the cooker"

Then the advise they gave you was incorrect I'm afraid and red hot couple will back me on that one Im sure xx

"fooking hell i havent half opened a can of worms here !!! (hides)

"

In a word no xx

By *eedshornycplsCouple  over a year ago

leeds

dont pay more than 70 quid parts n labour

"

i queried screw-fix on this a few months ago due to moving and having to buy a new cooker got

the pipe from screw-fix for £11 and got told that it is ok to do this as it has a 1 way valve connected to the end of the pipe if u cant connect and disconnect how are you supposed to spring clean behind the cooker

Then the advise they gave you was incorrect I'm afraid and red hot couple will back me on that one Im sure xx "

Yup! Totally 100% incorrect

"fooking hell i havent half opened a can of worms here !!! (hides)

"

NO ... the pipe has 2 ends to it... one end you can not do yourself

"this is my point redhotcpl if you are allowed to remove it the you are able to fit it so it is a job that can be done at home "

You can disconnect and connect for cleaning removal however you are not allowed to connect the pipe to the cooker in the first place (the cooker end) the first fitting has to be done by a registered fitter I can see where your confusion arises xx

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8dVkdCQCAS0

"this is my point redhotcpl if you are allowed to remove it the you are able to fit it so it is a job that can be done at home

You can disconnect and connect for cleaning removal however you are not allowed to connect the pipe to the cooker in the first place (the cooker end) the first fitting has to be done by a registered fitter I can see where your confusion arises xx "

thanks soapy that helps

"this is my point redhotcpl if you are allowed to remove it the you are able to fit it so it is a job that can be done at home "

Once the pipe has been connected to the cooker you can connect and disconnect it from the wall as many times as you care to do, but the initial connection of the flexi pipe to the cooker had to be done by a Gas Safe installer.

It's a bit like changing a lightbulb, you can do that as many timnes as you wish, but unless you are suitably qualified you are not allowed to run new cables to the lampholder, or indeed replace the lampholder should it develop a fault

As Soapy says... The first fix has to be undertaken by someone who until 2 years ago would have been CORGI registered... Today the fitter has to be on the Gas Safe Register in order to be able to issue the necessary Safety Certificate which guarantees the work for insurance and legal requirements...;-)

sometimes, its not all about saving a few bob, and this is one of those times,

£100 sounds over the top, so shop around a bit, BUT, make sure whoever does the work has all the correct paperwork connected with doing the job

By *entadreadMan  over a year ago

Essex

I am with Soapy all the way...

"this is my point redhotcpl if you are allowed to remove it the you are able to fit it so it is a job that can be done at home

Once the pipe has been connected to the cooker you can connect and disconnect it from the wall as many times as you care to do, but the initial connection of the flexi pipe to the cooker had to be done by a Gas Safe installer.

It's a bit like changing a lightbulb, you can do that as many timnes as you wish, but unless you are suitably qualified you are not allowed to run new cables to the lampholder, or indeed replace the lampholder should it develop a fault"

A good way of explaining it

"sometimes, its not all about saving a few bob, and this is one of those times,

£100 sounds over the top, so shop around a bit, BUT, make sure whoever does the work has all the correct paperwork connected with doing the job"

Exactly - where gas is concerned it is all very well saving a couple of quid, but when your house and family are blown to shit or poisoned because of a leakge of CO from a badly fitted flue, is it really worth saving the few quid ?

Nope ...

£100 sounds over the top, so shop around a bit, BUT, make sure whoever does the work has all the correct paperwork connected with doing the job

Exactly - where gas is concerned it is all very well saving a couple of quid, but when your house and family are blown to shit or poisoned because

of a leakge of CO from a badly fitted flue, is it really worth saving the few quid ?

Nope ..."

And when you have been called out to do an independent report on a gas explosion in a domestic property and see the devastation that illegal gaswork can cause you would realise just how much a saving can actually cost xx

Exactly - where gas is concerned it is all very well saving a couple of quid, but when your house and family are blown to shit or poisoned because

of a leakge of CO from a badly fitted flue, is it really worth saving the few quid ?

Nope ...

And when you have been called out to do an independent report on a gas explosion in a domestic property and see the devastation that illegal gaswork can cause you would realise just how much a saving can actually cost xx"

cos at the mo, we worried our pub is gonna burn down cos of toast

aint we soapy

By *landPeggyCouple  over a year ago

Holland !

Why don't cookers come with the pipe already fitted ?

Nope ...

And when you have been called out to do an independent report on a gas explosion in a domestic property and see the devastation that illegal gaswork can cause you would realise just how much a saving can actually cost xx

aint we soapy "

Who ya gonna call???

Nope ...

aint we soapy

Who ya gonna call??? "

TOAST BUSTERS

By *ugby 123Couple  over a year ago
Forum Mod

O o O oo

So are all pipes on cookers universal? Will I need a new pipe if we buy a new cooker?

To the OP, shop around, we got quoted £60

"Why don't cookers come with the pipe already fitted ?"

The main reason is that it deters people from fitting their own

There are a number of tests to carry out when fitting a cooker and some have to have equipment to carry them out

There is a list of checks also

Its not just a case of push and twist which unfortunately a lot of people think xx

"So are all pipes on cookers universal? Will I need a new pipe if we buy a new cooker?

To the OP, shop around, we got quoted £60"

Yes you can reuse the pipe and save money

Thats why i said earlier my prices are between £60 and 70 pounds because its cheaper if you have the existing pipe xx

Forum Mod

O o O oo

Ah ok ta

So can we be clear on this. If the pipe is fitted to the cooker by a Gas Safe engineer initially, it can be removed and reconnected at will later?

Or does that only apply to the bayonet end that connects to the service pipe?

"So are all pipes on cookers universal? Will I need a new pipe if we buy a new cooker?

To the OP, shop around, we got quoted £60"

I'd be reluctant to fit a hose from an old cooker onto a new cooker.

It could be old and perished, a bit like meself, and thus prone to leakage

"So can we be clear on this. If the pipe is fitted to the cooker by a Gas Safe engineer initially, it can be removed and reconnected at will later?

Or does that only apply to the bayonet end that connects to the service pipe?"

The bayonet end only

By *mumaWoman  over a year ago

Livingston

does pfte tape work as bondage tape when the gas fitter calls???

It could do, but it's a bit stretchy

It could be old and perished, a bit like meself, and thus prone to leakage "

Yes of course it depends on age and condition that goes without saying xx

"does pfte tape work as bondage tape when the gas fitter calls??? "

I bought you rope fa that xx

Holland !

"Why don't cookers come with the pipe already fitted ?"

"The main reason is that it deters people from fitting their own

"

que ?

Forum Mod

O o O oo

It could be old and perished, a bit like meself, and thus prone to leakage "

ok ta x

Forum Mod

O o O oo

"does pfte tape work as bondage tape when the gas fitter calls??? "

So do you ever do a gasfitter roleplay thing seeing as he has the tools already

"So can we be clear on this. If the pipe is fitted to the cooker by a Gas Safe engineer initially, it can be removed and reconnected at will later?

Or does that only apply to the bayonet end that connects to the service pipe?

The bayonet end only"

And the end connected to the cooker cannot be removed by anyone other than a Gas Safe engineer? Correct?

So for cleaning purposes a homeowner can disconnect from the supply, move the cooker, clean the area it sits in, and then reconnect it.

...and to replace a worn out pipe (which is why one would need a new one I guess) you need to disconnect both ends which requires a Gas Safe engineer.

Makes perfect sense to me as I'm sure the fitter will have a good look at the appliance too and give it a clean bill of health, if he's a decent fitter.

I'd pay the money, but get the pipe myself, which the OP has done.

"does pfte tape work as bondage tape when the gas fitter calls???

So do you ever do a gasfitter roleplay thing seeing as he has the tools already "

Yeah we tried it once

She had me fixing the bloody boiler all night xx

I bet he turns up with stilsons in hand, flue gas analyser in the other hand and ... christ knows where he keeps his manometer

"Why don't cookers come with the pipe already fitted ?

"

If the pipe isn't long enough it would need replacing which may tempt the homeowner to do it himself. Better to supply the pipe knowing it has to be connected by a Gas Safe fitter who can cut it if it's too long or get a longer one if it's too short... and fit it.

"I bet he turns up with stilsons in hand, flue gas analyser in the other hand and ... christ knows where he keeps his manometer "

Never you mind where i keeps me manometer xx

"I bet he turns up with stilsons in hand, flue gas analyser in the other hand and ... christ knows where he keeps his manometer

Never you mind where i keeps me manometer xx"

Pah ha, I just hope it's an electronic one and not an old water gauge lol

Off to bed now, nitey nite

"I bet he turns up with stilsons in hand, flue gas analyser in the other hand and ... christ knows where he keeps his manometer

Never you mind where i keeps me manometer xx

Pah ha, I just hope it's an electronic one and not an old water gauge lol

Off to bed now, nitey nite "

Huh show off mines a water one dont like the tronic ones xx

right thats it - stuff the cooker -

whats this "man"o"meter" thingy your going on about.. hhmmm

"right thats it - stuff the cooker -

whats this "man"o"meter" thingy your going on about.. hhmmm "

Its a device for testing for gas leaks and checking an appliances gas pressure xx

If the pipe isn't long enough it would need replacing which may tempt the homeowner to do it himself. Better to supply the pipe knowing it has to be connected by a Gas Safe fitter who can cut it if it's too long or get a longer one if it's too short... and fit it."

can you do this ??? i thought they were a special type of hose that had the fittings crimped on at the factory

If the pipe isn't long enough it would need replacing which may tempt the homeowner to do it himself. Better to supply the pipe knowing it has to be connected by a Gas Safe fitter who can cut it if it's too long or get a longer one if it's too short... and fit it.

can you do this ??? i thought they were a special type of hose that had the fittings crimped on at the factory"

If he's got the tool for it he'll prob use it lol.

As a telecom engineer I had all manner of crimp tools for making off ends that were supposedly factory fitted.

"right thats it - stuff the cooker -

whats this "man"o"meter" thingy your going on about.. hhmmm "

Get a leccy one and plug it in the fookin wall. Sorted.

No, The hoses are made in certain lengths and cant be altered onsite.

Livingston

So do you ever do a gasfitter roleplay thing seeing as he has the tools already "

behave yersen ya fud, my gasman is fae Sheffield, 6'2 and eats fig rolls

can you do this ??? i thought they were a special type of hose that had the fittings crimped on at the factory

As a telecom engineer I had all manner of crimp tools for making off ends that were supposedly factory fitted. "

yeah but, a telephone conversations not going to leak out the fitting like gas does lol

throw any light on this soapy ?? can you shorten a cooker hose & re-crimp a fitting??

Forum Mod

O o O oo

[Removed by poster at 19/02/12 21:18:08]

Livingston

"No, The hoses are made in certain lengths and cant be altered onsite."

whoa!! where did you spring from and can you alter your hose on the inside??

As a telecom engineer I had all manner of crimp tools for making off ends that were supposedly factory fitted.

yeah but, a telephone conversations not going to leak out the fitting like gas does lol

throw any light on this soapy ?? can you shorten a cooker hose & re-crimp a fitting??"

You wouldn't believed some of the phone convos that have 'leaked' while I've been listening in... hehehe

Forum Mod

O o O oo

behave yersen ya fud, my gasman is fae Sheffield, 6'2 and eats fig rolls "

Err he sounds right up my street ...can we borrow him?

at fud

throw any light on this soapy ?? can you shorten a cooker hose & re-crimp a fitting??"

Nope not the flexible ones xx

Holland !

You can test a gas fitting with a cigarette lighter, everyone knows that.

( best wait a few hours for maximum effect )

6'2"... Thems kin good fig rolls...

You never mentioned the fig rolls xx

Lol, Yer man's not got the monopoly in West Lothian Gas Fitters ya know!

"Lol, Yer man's not got the monopoly in West Lothian Gas Fitters ya know!

"

Lol im still in England at the min and aint even sure im carrying on when i move 18 years at it is getting a bit much tbh xx

Lol im still in England at the min and aint even sure im carrying on when i move 18 years at it is getting a bit much tbh xx"

Phew, thought I was gonna have to drop my rates when you moved up here! lol

By *acktilMan  over a year ago

Tewkesbury

Nope ...

And when you have been called out to do an independent report on a gas explosion in a domestic property and see the devastation that illegal gaswork can cause you would realise just how much a saving can actually cost xx"

+1 I investigate these for a living. So I'm with Soapy just get a Gas Safe engineer. Gas Safe = Be Safe…

Lol im still in England at the min and aint even sure im carrying on when i move 18 years at it is getting a bit much tbh xx

Phew, thought I was gonna have to drop my rates when you moved up here! lol"

Na lol ya safe cause by the looks of it i could put mine up if i did set up pmsl

Btw need any labourin gis a shout xx

Na lol ya safe cause by the looks of it i could put mine up if i did set up pmsl

Btw need any labourin gis a shout xx"

Will do, sometimes need a hand getting systems done in a day.

Btw need any labourin gis a shout xx

Will do, sometimes need a hand getting systems done in a day."

No problem xx

"No, The hoses are made in certain lengths and cant be altered onsite."

Really? That surprises me. Engineers are the most inventive lot when in a push and the stores are closed.

By *r and mrs sanddancerCouple  over a year ago

BOLDON COLLIERY

"No, The hoses are made in certain lengths and cant be altered onsite.

Really? That surprises me. Engineers are the most inventive lot when in a push and the stores are closed. "

one thing springs to mind --why would you want to shorten the flexible pipe ????

Find a nice man and nip down to Wicks builders merchants

"No, The hoses are made in certain lengths and cant be altered onsite.

Really? That surprises me. Engineers are the most inventive lot when in a push and the stores are closed.

one thing springs to mind --why would you want to shorten the flexible pipe ????"

I was thinking more if someone needed a longer one. Can they be connected together?

I could have sorted you out my dad is in the trade.

» Add a new message to this topic