FabSwingers.com

FabSwingers.com > Forums > The Lounge > Self Care.....

Self Care.....

Jump to: Newest in thread

By (user no longer on site) OP     over a year ago

When you're feeling a bit wound up, or spread too thin, at the end of your tether (feel free to suggest more metaphors) what task or action guarantees a calming or restorative effect on you?

For me, tidying and cleaning makes my head feel less chaotic, or walking in the woods is always very calming. When I'm strung out it can be difficult to start these tasks, especially the cleaning as it's not the most fun, but the after effect is quite powerful.

Reply privately, Reply in forum +quote or View forums list

By * Lexi xWoman  over a year ago

stockport

Talking to my bestie..... always chills me out and brings me back down to earth

By (user no longer on site)  over a year ago

For me it's music and driving or usually both. A few miles and I'm usually calm again, I rarely get wound up though

Cooking. The process really calms me down, so a five or seven course spread.

I start sorting out paperwork and ringing bill companies challenging them and getting bills lowered, I feel good after doing this

By *llaboutthewifeCouple  over a year ago

Cardiff

Walk my dog. It always works. Fresh air and hopefully sunshine, grab a coffee, listen to the birds....

"I start sorting out paperwork and ringing bill companies challenging them and getting bills lowered, I feel good after doing this "

That's a very good one

When I was a kid, I used to go to the airport to watch the planes

If I feel wound up, I regress

At Manchester airport, there is a viewing area with a cafe

I go down there, watch the planes, watch the people, watch the families having a day out, piss about on my phone and enjoy a coffee and a cake

It really helps to clear my mind and lift the dark clouds

Nice scenery in remote spots with my dog and being airborne in a small aeroplane, and sailing...

"Cooking. The process really calms me down, so a five or seven course spread."

I'll be coming to live with you as I hate cooking. It stresses me out!

"When I was a kid, I used to go to the airport to watch the planes

I go down there, watch the planes, watch the people, watch the families having a day out, piss about on my phone and enjoy a coffee and a cake

It really helps to clear my mind and lift the dark clouds"

Failing that, I go and see my parents

I've not lived there for 25 years, but there's still no place like home x

Quiet time.. 10 minutes grounding sat in the garden.. a walk with headphones down by the river and a bit of tidying to de clutter the mind..

the plan for today!

"For me it's music and driving or usually both. A few miles and I'm usually calm again, I rarely get wound up though "

I love driving as I get such a sense of freedom from it. Not great for the environment but a 20 minute drive is always calming.

Iv recently started doing Mindfullness, it's been a game changer.

Good food, good company and lots of fresh air and naps if possible!

Exercise, even a quick 10 minute floor routine helps. I just focus on breathing through a difficult routine and that usually helps.

"Talking to my bestie..... always chills me out and brings me back down to earth "

That's lovely. Those sort of relationships are precious.

walking the dogs

always put my in a better frame of mind if needed

"When I was a kid, I used to go to the airport to watch the planes

It really helps to clear my mind and lift the dark clouds

Failing that, I go and see my parents

I've not lived there for 25 years, but there's still no place like home x"

I regress too. Lego really helps

"Cooking. The process really calms me down, so a five or seven course spread.

I'll be coming to live with you as I hate cooking. It stresses me out! "

Love cooking for large crowds so you’re welcome. Any other takers?

Anything in nature or the coast. Very grounding and you realise it's a constant, unlike much of the stuff people fret over.

"walking the dogs

always put my in a better frame of mind if needed"

Animals are amazing for getting you to come out of your head and focus on something else.

"Iv recently started doing Mindfullness, it's been a game changer. "

I'm a lapsed meditator! I was definitely less stressed when I practised daily.

I'm a wildlife photographer. So I pick up my camera, drive into the countryside and walk as far as my legs can carry me, take loads of pics and edit them when I get home. The combination of fresh air, exercise and the excitement of looking at my pics sorts me out.

By *eliWoman  over a year ago

I drive and listen to music possibly obnoxiously loud but singing along and driving in the countryside always calms me.

I cook. A lot (and eat it more often than not). Yoga helps as well.

If I'm really bad my partner hugs me for ages and brushes my hair.

Hugs with my little person, running, talk to my bestie....

"I drive and listen to music possibly obnoxiously loud but singing along and driving in the countryside always calms me.

I cook. A lot (and eat it more often than not). Yoga helps as well.

If I'm really bad my partner hugs me for ages and brushes my hair.

"

I really miss having a partner for that reason. Being taken care of for a little while when the stress takes its toll is like magic.

Eating naughty food inside a big duvet cocoon, watching rom-coms until the early hours

"Eating naughty food inside a big duvet cocoon, watching rom-coms until the early hours "

I did the naughty food yesterday, now I just feel guilty

stockport

"Quiet time.. 10 minutes grounding sat in the garden.. a walk with headphones down by the river and a bit of tidying to de clutter the mind..

the plan for today!"

Speak of the devil!

I know I can make your ears bleed

"Iv recently started doing Mindfullness, it's been a game changer.

I'm a lapsed meditator! I was definitely less stressed when I practised daily. "

Yes me too but it is easy to lapse, especially when stressed. I also have few other techniques but like you said the key is practice.

"Cooking. The process really calms me down, so a five or seven course spread.

I'll be coming to live with you as I hate cooking. It stresses me out!

Love cooking for large crowds so you’re welcome. Any other takers?"

Yes please! Not a fan of cooking but big fan of eating! X

"Quiet time.. 10 minutes grounding sat in the garden.. a walk with headphones down by the river and a bit of tidying to de clutter the mind..

the plan for today!

Speak of the devil!

I know I can make your ears bleed "

Ha ha yeah but you're adorable in a whirlwind kinda way

There’s a number of things, cleaning the house with music on is a good one. it’s just getting started if it’s really bad. Cycling is my meditation though, it’s like travelling without moving, if you’re in the groove, the french have a word for it, soupllesse. It’s like you’re flying with power and grace, but it feels effortless, it’s rare this happens. But when it does there’s nothing like it. I enjoy the physical pain of cycling uphills, just focuses you on that and when you get home, you feel tired but in a good way, like you’ve earn’t the rest when you relax afterwards and you can feel your legs tingling if you’ve really pushed yourself.

By *carlet_heavenWoman  over a year ago

somewhere in the sticks

Have been through some really bad times with this...not being able to find the time to do this & so just ended crying- a lot!

I've got a dog now though, so have to go for a walk every day, even when I really don't want to. Walking in the woods is the best thing I've found...its supposed to be 'grounding', particularly important if you're an air sign, apparently.

I have a friend who makes me literally pick a tree & hug it bcos she says she can read tree energy. She bathes in moonlight when she's stressed out...we're unconventional in the sticks

"Eating naughty food inside a big duvet cocoon, watching rom-coms until the early hours

I did the naughty food yesterday, now I just feel guilty "

Self care is guilt free

"There’s a number of things, cleaning the house with music on is a good one. it’s just getting started if it’s really bad. Cycling is my meditation though, it’s like travelling without moving, if you’re in the groove, the french have a word for it, soupllesse. It’s like you’re flying with power and grace, but it feels effortless, it’s rare this happens. But when it does there’s nothing like it. I enjoy the physical pain of cycling uphills, just focuses you on that and when you get home, you feel tired but in a good way, like you’ve earn’t the rest when you relax afterwards and you can feel your legs tingling if you’ve really pushed yourself. "

That sounds amazing. Unfortunately I don't have an equivalent in order to experience that.

This is something I've not yet nailed.

I keep saying one day I'll invest in a punch bag. Will be sods law that when I finally do I'll hit the fucker so hard I'll break my wrist!

P

"There’s a number of things, cleaning the house with music on is a good one. it’s just getting started if it’s really bad. Cycling is my meditation though, it’s like travelling without moving, if you’re in the groove, the french have a word for it, soupllesse. It’s like you’re flying with power and grace, but it feels effortless, it’s rare this happens. But when it does there’s nothing like it. I enjoy the physical pain of cycling uphills, just focuses you on that and when you get home, you feel tired but in a good way, like you’ve earn’t the rest when you relax afterwards and you can feel your legs tingling if you’ve really pushed yourself.

That sounds amazing. Unfortunately I don't have an equivalent in order to experience that. "

Probably when you’re sat on a tractor and the wind rushes through your bum chin!

"Have been through some really bad times with this...not being able to find the time to do this & so just ended crying- a lot!

I've got a dog now though, so have to go for a walk every day, even when I really don't want to. Walking in the woods is the best thing I've found...its supposed to be 'grounding', particularly important if you're an air sign, apparently.

I have a friend who makes me literally pick a tree & hug it bcos she says she can read tree energy. She bathes in moonlight when she's stressed out...we're unconventional in the sticks"

I became a gardener 5 years ago because being outside in the green is essential for my wellbeing. It's not completely unconventional what you're saying

By *nowwhitexxx1Woman  over a year ago

Hull

I tend to get out of the house and my favourite go to place is by the coast or water.. I tend to go near the Humber Bridge and will go for a meander or just sit and watch the water... That always soothes me xx

"There’s a number of things, cleaning the house with music on is a good one. it’s just getting started if it’s really bad. Cycling is my meditation though, it’s like travelling without moving, if you’re in the groove, the french have a word for it, soupllesse. It’s like you’re flying with power and grace, but it feels effortless, it’s rare this happens. But when it does there’s nothing like it. I enjoy the physical pain of cycling uphills, just focuses you on that and when you get home, you feel tired but in a good way, like you’ve earn’t the rest when you relax afterwards and you can feel your legs tingling if you’ve really pushed yourself.

That sounds amazing. Unfortunately I don't have an equivalent in order to experience that.

Probably when you’re sat on a tractor and the wind rushes through your bum chin! "

If I get the angle right it whistles....

Going to the yard and seeing the horses calms me down

stockport

the plan for today!

Speak of the devil!

I know I can make your ears bleed

Ha ha yeah but you're adorable in a whirlwind kinda way "

You keep me grounded. X

"I tend to get out of the house and my favourite go to place is by the coast or water.. I tend to go near the Humber Bridge and will go for a meander or just sit and watch the water... That always soothes me xx"

I have a friend who lives near the foreshore and she does the same.

When stressed out detailing the car always seems to calms me down (providing it a nice day)

By *dam1971Man  over a year ago

Bedford

Cleaning or something similar is good because it’s a self contained task that doesn’t need anybody else and you can see the improvement when you’ve done it.

For our brains it’s like showing that in this world of chaos, we can be in control of some stuff

Since moving to Lincolnshire, I have found taking a drive down country roads, especially when the sun is shining and surrounded by r*peseed fields, very calming.

Also, a walk around a nature reserve listening to the birds calling clears my head and makes me smile.

By *naswingdressWoman  over a year ago

Manchester (she/her)

"Iv recently started doing Mindfullness, it's been a game changer. "

This!

Meditate, shower, gym, walk. Sometimes finding a song that fits my mood and some awful hairbrush karaoke.

If I can get out I go for a coffee and people watch, but as mostly I have to be home I immerse myself in a good book. It clears my mind x

If possible hide from everyone and binge watch LOTR or read a book

Cleaning frenzy (usually triggered by PMS, post menopause I'll let the house turn into a tip!)

Walk the dog

Book a massage or facial

Talk it out with my other half

"Since moving to Lincolnshire, I have found taking a drive down country roads, especially when the sun is shining and surrounded by r*peseed fields, very calming.

Also, a walk around a nature reserve listening to the birds calling clears my head and makes me smile."

Rapeseed fields are good for the soul. Cheer me right up!!

"Since moving to Lincolnshire, I have found taking a drive down country roads, especially when the sun is shining and surrounded by r*peseed fields, very calming.

Also, a walk around a nature reserve listening to the birds calling clears my head and makes me smile.

Rapeseed fields are good for the soul. Cheer me right up!! "

...Unless you have allergies Haha x

So, the plan for today is;

Clean and tidy the house, meditate, steal the neighbours dog and take it for a walk in the woods and hug some trees, cook bad food for 50 people and eat it whilst chatting to friends, do the washing up because I've just cleaned and I don't want to ruin it, cycle the three peaks and be mindful at the top of Pen-y-ghent, stop at my mums on the way home after finding a horse to stroke and stopping by the river and feeding ducks. Once home, go to the gym, detail my car, do the gardening and hug my children, all the while listening to music.

I'll be so mentally healthy it'll make you sick

By *ensualtouch15Man  over a year ago

ashby de la zouch

"When you're feeling a bit wound up, or spread too thin, at the end of your tether (feel free to suggest more metaphors) what task or action guarantees a calming or restorative effect on you?

For me, tidying and cleaning makes my head feel less chaotic, or walking in the woods is always very calming. When I'm strung out it can be difficult to start these tasks, especially the cleaning as it's not the most fun, but the after effect is quite powerful. "

Go to gym x

Rapeseed fields are good for the soul. Cheer me right up!!

...Unless you have allergies Haha x"

Pop some piriton and go and run free!

By *andare63Man  over a year ago

oldham

Walking the dogs or I mow the lawn on the tractor . Even though I’ve got Hayfever all my woes just drift away

By *pider-WomanWoman  over a year ago

Exeter, Bristol, Plymouth, Truro

"When you're feeling a bit wound up, or spread too thin, at the end of your tether (feel free to suggest more metaphors) what task or action guarantees a calming or restorative effect on you?

For me, tidying and cleaning makes my head feel less chaotic, or walking in the woods is always very calming. When I'm strung out it can be difficult to start these tasks, especially the cleaning as it's not the most fun, but the after effect is quite powerful.

Go to gym x"

Go out on the bike for a few hrs.

"Walking the dogs or I mow the lawn on the tractor . Even though I’ve got Hayfever all my woes just drift away "

You drive a tractor too???

oldham

"Walking the dogs or I mow the lawn on the tractor . Even though I’ve got Hayfever all my woes just drift away

You drive a tractor too??? "

Not while walking the dog !! could get messy that

"Walking the dogs or I mow the lawn on the tractor . Even though I’ve got Hayfever all my woes just drift away

Not while walking the dog !! could get messy that "

No, I meant as well as me, not whilst walking the dog...

By *a LunaWoman  over a year ago

South

Being outside. Whether that is walking my dog/kids, sat in the sun out the garden with a coffee, dodging horseflies...just being in nature.

Sleep helps too. Be it a nap or whatever.

Scented candles.

I used to enjoy a mega hot long soak in the bath and read a magazine but since i had kids that little luxury flew out the window. Amazing how they need a poo just as you get in the bath

"Being outside. Whether that is walking my dog/kids, sat in the sun out the garden with a coffee, dodging horseflies...just being in nature.

Scented candles.

I used to enjoy a mega hot long soak in the bath and read a magazine but since i had kids that little luxury flew out the window. Amazing how they need a poo just as you get in the bath "

I've had many a bath to the calmative sound of straining and splashing....

By *a LunaWoman  over a year ago

South

"Being outside. Whether that is walking my dog/kids, sat in the sun out the garden with a coffee, dodging horseflies...just being in nature.

Scented candles.

I used to enjoy a mega hot long soak in the bath and read a magazine but since i had kids that little luxury flew out the window. Amazing how they need a poo just as you get in the bath

I've had many a bath to the calmative sound of straining and splashing.... "

Getting out the house for a walk in the woods or down the beach but most importantly leaving my phone at home so I can completely switch off and disconnect!!

PT x

oldham

Not while walking the dog !! could get messy that

No, I meant as well as me, not whilst walking the dog... "

You are as sharp as my tractor blades ...I am but man !!! Therefore my multitasking leaves a lot to be desired

By *ea monkeyMan  over a year ago

Manchester (he/him)

I find that exercise really works wonders for me, the endorphins after a good run change my whole outlook and mood. Much the same as what Tame said; when you have a good run that feels effortless but at the same time, powerful, it's almost magical. It's like tuning into your body, I think it's almost zen at times and everything else just melts away.

I also journal or talk with friends

By *iamondCougarWoman  over a year ago

Norfuck! / Lincolnshire

A session in the gym

Time with a playmate

A walk

By *exy studMan  over a year ago

Derby

For me it running put my trainer's on and go for a nice long run ????

New pyjamas, fresh bed linen and a yankee candle

Spending too much time with others and being out in the world with all the chaos wears me down.

So anything that let's me be in my own world focused on something that takes me out of my head is my saviour.

Wine and YouTube helps

Failing that I like to cycle along the green belt we have in my area or if it's a weekend and I know it will be busy everywhere - I like box sets and headphones x

My old man,words of wisdom always save the day for me!!

Listening to Harry Potter audio books

Ride my bikes, well one of them...

Or cut some wood into an unusual shape

Both take total focus, so no room for stress

I was thinking of this today, the past 2 weeks have been tough and I am struggling.

Cleaning is the thing for me. Roll on Saturday when I am going to blitz each room top to bottom

I needed this today OP.

Distraction works massively for me.

X

"I needed this today OP.

Distraction works massively for me.

X"

Glad it helped x

A run out in the local fields. The sort of run where speed isn't important but taking on the scenary and the wild life very much is. There also a church on a hill near me with what is my favourite bench, a run out to that sit down, enjoy the view of beautiful fields in the background and a diverse mix of graves in the foreground, love sitting up there and letting my mind empty.

Failing that a hot bath with music and a decent book!

"A run out in the local fields. The sort of run where speed isn't important but taking on the scenary and the wild life very much is. There also a church on a hill near me with what is my favourite bench, a run out to that sit down, enjoy the view of beautiful fields in the background and a diverse mix of graves in the foreground, love sitting up there and letting my mind empty.

Failing that a hot bath with music and a decent book!"

That sounds perfect

By *rumpyMcFuckNuggetMan  over a year ago

Den of Iniquity

Taking Pooch out deffo, just watching him chasing ( and failing ) to catch Squirrels and Pigeons makes my day worthwhile

I play football manager. Carefully planning tactics, training schedules, scouting the next generation of players, is wonderfully relaxing for me.

Putting on my suit for the cup final may be a bit much though.

"I play football manager. Carefully planning tactics, training schedules, scouting the next generation of players, is wonderfully relaxing for me.

Putting on my suit for the cup final may be a bit much though. "

It's nice to be well turned out.

By *oward1978Man  over a year ago

Rotherham

Walking. It's the quickest and best way I've found of kick starting my brain and getting me out of any sort of melancholy mood I might be in. It's something about the movement, of getting the body physically moving and the act of 'going somewhere'. I find it fires up the synapses and gets my brain out of the rut and back to thinking straight. It's like it gives me an 'inspired' feeling where the world that was beginning to feel closed off will suddenly open back up again. It's hard to describe it really but from there I can then listen to music or read, which is like the second part of the process of returning me back to some sort of normality.

Cooking for me, making something nice for myself, presenting it the best I can and trying new techniques... I've found it cheaper than going for a blast in the car as I can while away a good hour smashing round the local B roads

» Add a new message to this topic