FabSwingers.com

FabSwingers.com > Forums > The Lounge > Dealing with messages

Dealing with messages

Jump to: Newest in thread

By (user no longer on site) OP     over a year ago

I was musing this morning after a conversation with a friend about the scale of unread work emails they had in their inbox 4331 work 2310 personal and 0 social media. I have none.

I tend to take action on any message I receive as soon after it arrives as I possibly can. I have separate accounts for various aspects of my life which I prioritise with work related customer and colleague interactions being the highest (with sub categories depending on relative importance), text, WhatsApp or email, community work next, personal friends and family next unless urgent, social media and Fab. Unless I am engaged with customers, in meetings with colleagues or focused on a task or doing something enjoyable that needs all my attention, I deal with most messages in real time including during holidays. So I never really have a backlog.

How do you deal with yours?

Reply privately, Reply in forum +quote or View forums list

By *llaboutthewifeCouple  over a year ago

Cardiff

"I was musing this morning after a conversation with a friend about the scale of unread work emails they had in their inbox 4331 work 2310 personal and 0 social media. I have none.

I tend to take action on any message I receive as soon after it arrives as I possibly can. I have separate accounts for various aspects of my life which I prioritise with work related customer and colleague interactions being the highest (with sub categories depending on relative importance), text, WhatsApp or email, community work next, personal friends and family next unless urgent, social media and Fab. Unless I am engaged with customers, in meetings with colleagues or focused on a task or doing something enjoyable that needs all my attention, I deal with most messages in real time including during holidays. So I never really have a backlog.

How do you deal with yours?"

I think i need you in my life to sort me out...you would have a head turn if you saw my in box...no pun intended J x

By (user no longer on site)  over a year ago

My work emails get read if there boss or important rest is ignored

Same with home emails if its not a bill it gets ignored

"My work emails get read if there boss or important rest is ignored

Same with home emails if its not a bill it gets ignored"

Do you delete all the crap immediately or leave it in your box and do a clear out?

By *iamondsmiles.Woman  over a year ago

little house on the praire

I dont do emails. I ignore them all but sounds like your friend needs a lesson in organization skills

oh i do star things like hotel bookings so i can easily find them

"I dont do emails. I ignore them all but sounds like your friend needs a lesson in organization skills"
she’s actually very organised, but her job prevents her from dealing with things in the same way as me. Also the volume of email she receives is much greater than mine so it’s difficult to compare. Before I suggest anything to her, I’m interested in earring from others who have excessively numbers of daily messages of various kinds to deal with.

By *adbury girlWoman  over a year ago

Lanarkshire

I read everything as soon as I can and respond where required then delete or move to appropriate folder. This is personal and work.

Same with personal messages/social media, I just like being organised

"oh i do star things like hotel bookings so i can easily find them"

Yep a good storage and flagging system is important.

"I read everything as soon as I can and respond where required then delete or move to appropriate folder. This is personal and work.

Same with personal messages/social media, I just like being organised "

That sounds like my approach but are you dealing with massive amounts of messages?

By *attooedBBWWoman  over a year ago

Basingstoke

I have rules on work and personal emails, and I rarely have more than a handful to deal with by the end of the day.

The only place I tend to leave them a day or so is fab because sometimes I need to be in the right head space to deal with those LOL

"I was musing this morning after a conversation with a friend about the scale of unread work emails they had in their inbox 4331 work 2310 personal and 0 social media. I have none.

Omg this amount of unread emails would play havoc with my OCD, im freeting just thinking about those unread emails

By *eliWoman  over a year ago

Work emails? Subfolders, action them as appropriate. I hate my inbox being clogged so if I have a bit of time, regardless of being in work or not I tackle them. And I get a lot daily but not dealing with them would irritate/worry me.

By * Lexi xWoman  over a year ago

stockport

I bulk deleted 500 messages last night. No profile pics/too young/weirdos

It’s all very well receiving messages but I think I’m just too fussy and rarely find someone I actually like

"I have rules on work and personal emails, and I rarely have more than a handful to deal with by the end of the day.

The only place I tend to leave them a day or so is fab because sometimes I need to be in the right head space to deal with those LOL "

Ah. Right headspace - I imagine that is important for Fab messages. I think because I get so few on Fab I probably don’t give enough thought to the issue of being in the right headspace. So I tend to message from my stream of consciousness which might not be the best place to do it from

By *a LunaWoman  over a year ago

South

I read them all. Action and delete work ones (or print out and file)

Action and keep personal ones, save the ones that are important and then after a week delete the unimportant read ones.

On here I read and action every message, whether thats replying or just deleting, as they come in, that way they don’t build up.

I get a bit overwhelmed otherwise and start feeling anxious which is a leftover from my secretarial days i suspect.

"Work emails? Subfolders, action them as appropriate. I hate my inbox being clogged so if I have a bit of time, regardless of being in work or not I tackle them. And I get a lot daily but not dealing with them would irritate/worry me."

Is your daily volume in the 100s?

Do you deal with social media and Fab in the same way?

Omg this amount of unread emails would play havoc with my OCD, im freeting just thinking about those unread emails "

I think I would feel the same way although I don’t think I suffer with OCD.

1. Family.

2. Friends.

3. FAB.

4. Fucking work.

5. Every fucking thing else.

I bulk deleted 500 messages last night. No profile pics/too young/weirdos

It’s all very well receiving messages but I think I’m just too fussy and rarely find someone I actually like "

I delete a large amount of mail each day without reading it too. Every so often I block/unsubscribe the crap.

I can imagine if you are very specific about the type of person you are looking for on here and you are hoping that a surprise will turn up there is a lot to just ignore and delete. I don’t envy women on here at all.

By *heekyFlirtyCoupleCouple  over a year ago

Stockport

Work ones I deal with in real time, usually have between 0 and 45 in there, currently have 8!

Home I never even check them! Oops.

Fab I should change my email settings as I deal with messages on here in real time, but the email connected to the account has 1625 unread emails that need deleting!

"1. Family.

2. Friends.

3. FAB.

4. Fucking work.

5. Every fucking thing else. "

That doesn’t surprise me for you. I can’t remember ever feeling ‘fucking work’. I think I am blessed in that regard.

"I read them all. Action and delete work ones (or print out and file)

Action and keep personal ones, save the ones that are important and then after a week delete the unimportant read ones.

On here I read and action every message, whether thats replying or just deleting, as they come in, that way they don’t build up.

I get a bit overwhelmed otherwise and start feeling anxious which is a leftover from my secretarial days i suspect."

That sounds like my approach too

I just checked my emails. Ive got 1000s of unread ones in there and ive no intention of reading them

"Work ones I deal with in real time, usually have between 0 and 45 in there, currently have 8!

Home I never even check them! Oops.

Fab I should change my email settings as I deal with messages on here in real time, but the email connected to the account has 1625 unread emails that need deleting! "

Ah I only turn the email setting on for Fab, when I hide my profile because I’m taking a break. So never have a backlog unless I forget to switch it off.

"I just checked my emails. Ive got 1000s of unread ones in there and ive no intention of reading them "

Sounds like bulk delete time

"Work emails? Subfolders, action them as appropriate. I hate my inbox being clogged so if I have a bit of time, regardless of being in work or not I tackle them. And I get a lot daily but not dealing with them would irritate/worry me.

Do you deal with social media and Fab in the same way?"

It can average out to that over a week once you include the ones I have been cc'd in to, yes. I'm quite good at skim reading and allocating priority.

Social media and fab? No. I deal with those depending on my head space and energy at the time and sheer desire to. If it's from good friends, I generally try and respond quickly - even if it is just to say I don't have the energy currently, will be in touch soon. If it's from friends etc I respond as and when I feel I can. I know that my frame of mind can alter responses etc and I don't want that to affect my dialogue negatively.

"Work emails? Subfolders, action them as appropriate. I hate my inbox being clogged so if I have a bit of time, regardless of being in work or not I tackle them. And I get a lot daily but not dealing with them would irritate/worry me.

Do you deal with social media and Fab in the same way?

It can average out to that over a week once you include the ones I have been cc'd in to, yes. I'm quite good at skim reading and allocating priority.

Social media and fab? No. I deal with those depending on my head space and energy at the time and sheer desire to. If it's from good friends, I generally try and respond quickly - even if it is just to say I don't have the energy currently, will be in touch soon. If it's from friends etc I respond as and when I feel I can. I know that my frame of mind can alter responses etc and I don't want that to affect my dialogue negatively."

That makes sense I probably should put more thought to my Fab messages but allow myself to be more impulsive on here. I find it liberating in some respects but my insecurities kick in if I’m being open. My headspace is fine unless I’m dealing with someone I really like, because that can turn me from cool headed to a jibbering fool in seconds

I now actually sound very organised for the first time ever lol ... I have 3 business email adds, 1 for clients, 1 for rugby and 1 for everything else. Each of those have folders where they are immediately sorted into then depending on time, I sort these regularly.

Have 2 personal email adds, 1 for all that advertising must write an email add stuff and I never open this one and 1 for actual stuff and this is sorted into folders or read frequently

... This so doesn't sound like me but if you saw my diaries they are even worse! Or is that better organised and talking of which I need to sync them and sort emails before a day of walking the coast path!

Oh and luckily I don't ever have any social media emails because I always turn that facility off!

Work emails are dealt with straight away when on shift

The others when im not on can be archived

Personal ones way to many lol

Work emails - read, action, file.

Personal emails - as above via my phone.

All other social media sites I don’t get notified by email just the notification dot.

On here - periodically bulk delete.

I get barely any email traffic so can read the important ones and deal with them fairly effectively. I think they just get deleted after a certain time too as they never seem to build up. I never delete though for some reason. Same as on here, will read a few messages and respond as required then just sort of ignore everything else till it gets deleted all by itself. I dont seem to be able to press delete on anything. I might learn if I had 4000+ emails to process though. Crikey

"That makes sense I probably should put more thought to my Fab messages but allow myself to be more impulsive on here. I find it liberating in some respects but my insecurities kick in if I’m being open. My headspace is fine unless I’m dealing with someone I really like, because that can turn me from cool headed to a jibbering fool in seconds "

Awww! Trust me, I know allll about that. I can waffle something rotten when I'm in the right mood and most of my interactions are stream of consciousnesses of various lengths. When you're open you are bound to feel a bit more vulnerable and question if you've done something wrong. Breathe and try not to overthink things (haha from me that's a riot).

"I now actually sound very organised for the first time ever lol ... I have 3 business email adds, 1 for clients, 1 for rugby and 1 for everything else. Each of those have folders where they are immediately sorted into then depending on time, I sort these regularly.

Have 2 personal email adds, 1 for all that advertising must write an email add stuff and I never open this one and 1 for actual stuff and this is sorted into folders or read frequently

... This so doesn't sound like me but if you saw my diaries they are even worse! Or is that better organised and talking of which I need to sync them and sort emails before a day of walking the coast path! "

That’s impressive. I aspire to that level of organisation.

"Oh and luckily I don't ever have any social media emails because I always turn that facility off! "

Yep I turn off notifications and deal with them on the apps

"Work emails are dealt with straight away when on shift

The others when im not on can be archived

Personal ones way to many lol"

The personal junk folder is my favourite to deal with. DELETE DELETE DELETE

"Work emails - read, action, file.

All other social media sites I don’t get notified by email just the notification dot.

On here - periodically bulk delete."

That all sounds very controlled Roxi. You give the impression at times of being unflappable

"That makes sense I probably should put more thought to my Fab messages but allow myself to be more impulsive on here. I find it liberating in some respects but my insecurities kick in if I’m being open. My headspace is fine unless I’m dealing with someone I really like, because that can turn me from cool headed to a jibbering fool in seconds

Awww! Trust me, I know allll about that. I can waffle something rotten when I'm in the right mood and most of my interactions are stream of consciousnesses of various lengths. When you're open you are bound to feel a bit more vulnerable and question if you've done something wrong. Breathe and try not to overthink things (haha from me that's a riot)."

Yeah vulnerability is a bugger for me. I wear my heart on my sleeve and love that aspect of my personality. I feel more alive and vibrant because of it. I enjoy the rollercoaster of emotions, it’s like a spiritual exercising of the soul for me, but self-doubt is never far away rabbiting in my ear,

It’s probably just feeling like a novice in here despite how long I’ve been around meeting people is a whole new experience really

That all sounds very controlled Roxi. You give the impression at times of being unflappable "

Oh I can flap out big time

I receive a lot of emails, my work is usually reactive to them so have to be organised.

That all sounds very controlled Roxi. You give the impression at times of being unflappable

Oh I can flap out big time

I receive a lot of emails, my work is usually reactive to them so have to be organised."

I just don’t see you flapping

By *hrisAndKatieCouple  over a year ago

stevenage

My friend is closing in on 10000 unread emails - i want to go through them all for her!

"I get barely any email traffic so can read the important ones and deal with them fairly effectively. I think they just get deleted after a certain time too as they never seem to build up. I never delete though for some reason. Same as on here, will read a few messages and respond as required then just sort of ignore everything else till it gets deleted all by itself. I dont seem to be able to press delete on anything. I might learn if I had 4000+ emails to process though. Crikey "

That sounds like a peaceful messaging life Autumn. I like that have my phone set to only store a month of emails. However I wish I could alter that more for different accounts. The great thing is that anything older than a month disappears off my personal accounts until I am ready to bulk delete.

"My friend is closing in on 10000 unread emails - i want to go through them all for her!"

That sounds like hoarding Are they attached to them?

By *ampant Lion34Man  over a year ago

East Midlands

I read then delete soon as they come in and move to a folder of need to keep it for any reason. Have to have a clean in box lol

"I read then delete soon as they come in and move to a folder of need to keep it for any reason. Have to have a clean in box lol "

Yep I love a clean box

Do you delete all the crap immediately or leave it in your box and do a clear out?"

i leave it about a month

By *adbury girlWoman  over a year ago

Lanarkshire

"I read everything as soon as I can and respond where required then delete or move to appropriate folder. This is personal and work.

That sounds like my approach but are you dealing with massive amounts of messages?"

I don’t get volumes like you mentioned thankfully but still think I would need to read then as I hate seeing I have unread mails

Do you delete all the crap immediately or leave it in your box and do a clear out?i leave it about a month"

Ah the cycles of the mooooooon - the werewolf approach

That sounds like my approach but are you dealing with massive amounts of messages?

I don’t get volumes like you mentioned thankfully but still think I would need to read then as I hate seeing I have unread mails "

Yes so do I, they are like a stone in my shoe for me.

Will you be my life coach Doc? X

Don't get me wrong though Doc.. If I was paid enough that I could stop worrying about money all the time. I'd probably love work. I'd love work more if I were making a positive impact on people's lives and making a difference.

As it stands I just repair and install luxury items.

Anytime I've tried to make a positive difference.. It's always backfired drastically. Military/care assistance.. Too much red tape involved and vested interest.

If I found the right job for me the order I listed would change, but family would remain on top.

"I read then delete soon as they come in and move to a folder of need to keep it for any reason. Have to have a clean in box lol

Yep I love a clean box "

Me too

"I now actually sound very organised for the first time ever lol ... I have 3 business email adds, 1 for clients, 1 for rugby and 1 for everything else. Each of those have folders where they are immediately sorted into then depending on time, I sort these regularly.

... This so doesn't sound like me but if you saw my diaries they are even worse! Or is that better organised and talking of which I need to sync them and sort emails before a day of walking the coast path!

That’s impressive. I aspire to that level of organisation. "

Lol (actually did make me laugh you organised person you) but I have now sorted emails & synced diaries so pissing off in the sun to a pub crawl on the coast path before work (even packed work phone as you never know )

By *hrisAndKatieCouple  over a year ago

stevenage

"My friend is closing in on 10000 unread emails - i want to go through them all for her!

That sounds like hoarding Are they attached to them?"

She says she never reads them!

"Will you be my life coach Doc? X"

Aww G3 I wouldn’t wish that on my worst enemy...it’s all dodgy snake oil

"Don't get me wrong though Doc.. If I was paid enough that I could stop worrying about money all the time. I'd probably love work. I'd love work more if I were making a positive impact on people's lives and making a difference.

As it stands I just repair and install luxury items.

Anytime I've tried to make a positive difference.. It's always backfired drastically. Military/care assistance.. Too much red tape involved and vested interest.

If I found the right job for me the order I listed would change, but family would remain on top. "

You could make a positive impact on my life and install a hot tub in my garden for us to use

"I read then delete soon as they come in and move to a folder of need to keep it for any reason. Have to have a clean in box lol

Yep I love a clean box

Me too "

I bet

"My friend is closing in on 10000 unread emails - i want to go through them all for her!

That sounds like hoarding Are they attached to them?

She says she never reads them! "

DELETE DELETE DELETE

Lol (actually did make me laugh you organised person you) but I have now sorted emails & synced diaries so pissing off in the sun to a pub crawl on the coast path before work (even packed work phone as you never know ) "

I wish I had time for that I’m too busy answering people on this thread

Lol (actually did make me laugh you organised person you) but I have now sorted emails & synced diaries so pissing off in the sun to a pub crawl on the coast path before work (even packed work phone as you never know )

I wish I had time for that I’m too busy answering people on this thread "

Hahahahahaha I've just walked through door stepped into uniform and ready for work in 5 secs step away from fab (luckily client is delayed!)

By *abs..Woman  over a year ago

I don’t access work emails at home. I delete rubbish and I unsubscribe from everything. I don’t get many emails because I’m careful who I give my email address to. I see all emails as work in a way.

... This so doesn't sound like me but if you saw my diaries they are even worse! Or is that better organised and talking of which I need to sync them and sort emails before a day of walking the coast path! "

Sounds organised and easy to sort out.

By *ineMan  over a year ago

In cave behind a waterfall on a hill

I get them

I read them

Or I dont

Sometimes I even reply to them

By *iamondCougarWoman  over a year ago

Norfuck! / Lincolnshire

As you do! ASAP .... it’s all about professional standards

» Add a new message to this topic